inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vanilla Ice ... did he bring on the 90s or hold over the 80s?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 3:40 pm

I'd say held over from the 80s.  He's often mistaken as 80s and has that cheesy vibe 80s old school rappers did. 

Subject: Re: Vanilla Ice ... did he bring on the 90s or hold over the 80s?

Written By: woops on 04/16/05 at 5:36 pm

Who cares, he's so cheesy...  :P  :D

Though he was funny on "25 Lame" when he destroyed his own video.  ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/16/05 at 5:44 pm

All I know is that he crashed and burned HARD!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/16/05 at 8:19 pm

Option 3.  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/05 at 1:52 am

I'm gonna go against the grain here and, actually -- as contradictory as it sounds -- say both.

To one degree, I think (along with the - much better - Beastie Boys) he helped commercialize white rap, which of course is everywhere today, with guys like Eminem. So, in that respect he's more 90's.

But his image is definitely closer to the 2nd half of the 80's (1987-89 actually) and, even using the rhythm of Queen's "Under Pressure" for "Ice Ice Baby" makes him seem more 80's.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/17/05 at 1:22 pm

I'm gonna go against the grain here and, actually -- as contradictory as it sounds -- say both.

To one degree, I think (along with the - much better - Beastie Boys) he helped commercialize white rap, which of course is everywhere today, with guys like Eminem. So, in that respect he's more 90's.

But his image is definitely closer to the 2nd half of the 80's (1987-89 actually) and, even using the rhythm of Queen's "Under Pressure" for "Ice Ice Baby" makes him seem more 80's.

Wow! I agree 100% McFly!  Sorta like how Beastie Boy's "Licensed to Ill" sounds and is very eighties but helped bring on the 90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...