inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1990-91 - 70's music revival years?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/05 at 1:42 am

I was just thinking about this while talking about Lenny Kravitz and his soul-influenced 1991 hit "It Ain't Over till it's Over", but it sounds very much like something that could've come out of 1973.

Alot of other songs/bands anywhere from 1988-1993 had a certain oldies tinge to them -- updated a little, but still. Others include:

Twice as Hard - Black Crows
Thing Called Love - Bonnie Raitt
Smoking Gun - Robert Cray Band
Little Miss can't be Wrong - Spin Doctors
Cult of Personality - Living Color
Losing my Religion - REM

Anyone else agree? :)

Subject: Re: 1990-91 - 70's music revival years?

Written By: ADH13 on 04/17/05 at 2:02 am

I was just thinking about this while talking about Lenny Kravitz and his soul-influenced 1991 hit "It Ain't Over till it's Over", but it sounds very much like something that could've come out of 1973.

Alot of other songs/bands anywhere from 1988-1993 had a certain oldies tinge to them -- updated a little, but still. Others include:

Twice as Hard - Black Crows
Thing Called Love - Bonnie Raitt
Smoking Gun - Robert Cray Band
Little Miss can't be Wrong - Spin Doctors
Cult of Personality - Living Color
Losing my Religion - REM

Anyone else agree? :)

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.  I also noticed some other things, like the number of covers that surfaced.

Guns n Roses covered Knockin On Heavens Door
Pearl Jam covered Where Can My Baby Be
Erasure released an entire album of Abba covers
Selena covered I Will Survive
U2 covered Everlasting Love
I also think I read somewhere that The Black Crowes "Hard To Handle" was a cover, although I didn't ever hear the original

Also, "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" from Pulp Fiction sounds 70's-ish to me.. not sure if it actually is from the 70's or not though.

and then songs like "Bohemian Rhapsody" were re-popularized (Via films, such as Waynes World)

And The Eagles came back with "Get Over It", and I believe Rolling Stones had a comeback too but it's late and I'm drawing a blank on the song.

Subject: Re: 1990-91 - 70's music revival years?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/05 at 2:13 am

^ Yeah, good point about the cover songs too.

I remember when "Get Over it" was a hit briefly in '94 - great rocker I really liked. I swore it was a Henley solo song from the 80's until I found out it was a re-formed Eagles. Their other comeback hit, the ballad "Love will keep us Alive" sounds very 70's to me.

I think the Stones did have an album that year, but it escapes me at the moment.

Even a few years down the road, the Wallflowers sounded like vintage 70's rock to me - mixed with a little alternative 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...