inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pauly Shore - more 80's or 90's?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/05 at 3:17 am

Although more of a guilty pleasure today, I do admit he was/is one of my favorite comedic actors in the early to mid 90's. :D

However I was thinking that, although seeing clips of him on MTV's Totally Pauly show and movies like Encino Man and In the Army Now really encompass the culture of roughly 1991-96, there's a certain 80's holdover quality to him too.

He uses tons of "Valley" slang -- some of which he made up himself (i.e. "greasy" "wease the juice") that I think could easily have fitted in in 1983 as well as it did in 1993. And he was a big fan of 80's hard rockers like Aerosmith, Billy Idol, Motley Crue and the like - sort of had the personality of an 80's
rocker as much as that of a comedian too.

In fact you could argue that many movies that came out from as late as 1996 (particularly teen comedies and the more 'silly' ones) had an 80's feel to them, even if they were more 90's in style or culture.

Subject: Re: Pauly Shore - more 80's or 90's?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/17/05 at 8:37 am

He's a 90's comedian/actor, because his films (if you wish to call them that  ::)) came out in the 90's. He was ok in Encino Man, after that he got on my nerves.

By the way, I am not a big Pauly Shore fan.  ::)

Subject: Re: Pauly Shore - more 80's or 90's?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/18/05 at 8:17 pm

He's a 90's comedian/actor, because his films (if you wish to call them that ::)) came out in the 90's. He was ok in Encino Man, after that he got on my nerves.

By the way, I am not a big Pauly Shore fan. ::)

That's ok - like I said, he's a guilty pleasure thing I'm a fan of now (what's worse, admitting I'm into Pauly Shore, or "We Built this City"? LOL).

I do think, however that the 80's culture carried into 90's movies further/more prevalently than it did into 90's music and clothes, etc. Even if a movie in, say 1993, was reflective of the grunge era (as many were) there was still an 80's feel to it, sometimes with just the way the movie was written. Encino & Son in Law had a certain Chris Columbus/John Hughes style/pace to them, imho.

Check for new replies or respond here...