inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Old School turn into New School rap?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 4:58 pm

I'd say 1995 was the first year of New School, although 1993-97 was the transitional.  I consider Gangsta Rap to be (bad) Old School: come on, that stuff started in the 80s! 

But there was plenty of concious hip-hop in the early 90s too.

Subject: Re: When did Old School turn into New School rap?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/20/05 at 7:14 pm

I'm going to say 1996, basically in the mid '90s.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 7:15 pm

I'm going to say 1996, basically in the mid '90s.

Yeah 95 still had an old school tinge to it.  Popular rap didn't totally SUCK BALLS until 2000.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/20/05 at 7:20 pm

Yeah 95 still had an old school tinge to it. Popular rap didn't totally SUCK BALLS until 2000.

Yeah. 50 Cent. Usher and all that would even seem out of place in 1995 (well, at least being as commercial as they are. Rap is so mainstream now that little kids are into it - like 7 or 8. I don't think you'd have seen that 10 years ago!).

I like some 80's old school rap like "The Message" from Grandmaster Flash (I think that's who does it?) and even MC Hammer was more fun pop/dance type rap. Same with Will Smith's "Parent's just Don't Understand".

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/05 at 9:28 pm

Written By: Red Ant on 04/20/05 at 10:26 pm

I'd have to say that " Old School Rap " to me was in the 80s ( such as Run D.M.C., Slick Rick, Fat Boys, etc. ). I voted 91 as that's when " Gangtsa Rap " took over. It seems that there are several new styles of rappers out there now that do not conform ( for the most part ) to 80s or Gangsta Rap.

Check for new replies or respond here...