inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What 90s styles haven't died yet?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/23/05 at 9:57 pm

I'd say Country and the punk girl genres are almost or more strong today than in the 90s.  Gengsta Rap is still around but it's different than 80s and 90s gangsta rap.  Dance is pretty dead (except more electronic stuff) and Grunge is pretty dead too, although not 100%. 

Subject: Re: What 90s styles haven't died yet?

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 04/23/05 at 10:28 pm

I agree. the punk-girl genre is definitely still around. So is the country genre.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/24/05 at 9:25 am

punk girl is still here, hopefully not for to much longer though

Counrty will always be around

Written By: DevoRule on 04/24/05 at 2:52 pm

punk girl is still here, hopefully not for to much longer though

Counrty will always be around

True on country, but I'm talking 90s-style pop country.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/24/05 at 6:15 pm

All of them are still alive and kicking except for dance pretty much. Grunge still has Chris Cornell who is with Audioslave. Country has grown more than ever, gansta rap still has 50 cent and other artists that are popular, and punk-girl rock wasn't really ever around. I'm sorry but I refuse to call Avril Lavigne and Michelle Branch punk. ::)

Written By: DevoRule on 04/24/05 at 6:25 pm

All of them are still alive and kicking except for dance pretty much. Grunge still has Chris Cornell who is with Audioslave. Country has grown more than ever, gansta rap still has 50 cent and other artists that are popular, and punk-girl rock wasn't really ever around. I'm sorry but I refuse to call Avril Lavigne and Michelle Branch punk. ::)

50 Cent's the only one I'd call "gangsta rap".  As for Grunge, there's a little left, but it's nothing compared to 1993. 

Dance is totally dead, that stuff seems almost as dated as 80s music.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/24/05 at 7:26 pm

50 Cent's the only one I'd call "gangsta rap". As for Grunge, there's a little left, but it's nothing compared to 1993.

Dance is totally dead, that stuff seems almost as dated as 80s music.

Yeah sadly grunge has declined greatly over the years but I'm very happy that the dance genre has died.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/24/05 at 7:42 pm

I'd say they're all around, except for dance (but even that is kinda around if you count certain rap you can "dance" to - but early 90's dance almost seems more dated than the main 80's ever did).

And yeah, Avril is only remotely punk in her dressing style - not the music (she even herself admitted not knowing who David Bowie was, and doesn't listen to "punk" - new or old at all!). Michelle Branch is a little better, but I'd call her alternative pop/rock (light emphasis on the "rock" though, LOL).

Written By: DevoRule on 04/24/05 at 8:08 pm

I'd say they're all around, except for dance (but even that is kinda around if you count certain rap you can "dance" to - but early 90's dance almost seems more dated than the main 80's ever did).

And yeah, Avril is only remotely punk in her dressing style - not the music (she even herself admitted not knowing who David Bowie was, and doesn't listen to "punk" - new or old at all!). Michelle Branch is a little better, but I'd call her alternative pop/rock (light emphasis on the "rock" though, LOL).

Agreed, except Grunge is pretty dead (not 100%, more like 85%-90%) and Gangsta Rap today has a different vibe from that of the 1987-1995 period (only 50 Cent seems to fit the early 90s bill).

That said, yeah Dance is completely dead pretty much in the 1991 sense.  Could you imagine a song like "Groove is in the Heart" coming out today?  That song is cheesier than about 95% of songs from the 80s!

Check for new replies or respond here...