inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Is Worst: Mariah Carey or '90's Madonna

Written By: woops on 04/29/05 at 11:14 pm

I' say both...  :P

Though Ionly  like Mariah's cover of "Without You" & "Honey" and '90's Madonna's "Vogue".

Subject: Re: Which Is Worst: Mariah Carey or '90's Madonna

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/30/05 at 9:31 am

Neither

Tanya

Written By: 90s boy on 04/30/05 at 10:33 am

i like em both well i don't like Mariah Carey today but she was good in the 1990's same wit Madonna and i still like Madonna today i just think her Music is not that great as it use to be but thats what happend when music changes :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/07 at 5:31 am

Mariah Carey

Written By: woops on 06/15/07 at 3:19 pm

An ancient thread I posted...

Though I still don't listen to both, I respect Mariah Carey.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/15/07 at 3:20 pm

Mariah Carey!  :P

Written By: JohnnyTyson on 06/15/07 at 4:38 pm

Is this thread a joke?  Neither were "Worse", they were both bright spots for 90's music.

90's Madonna is absolutely superior to 80's Madonna in every way possible (In terms of quality songs) and Mariah Carey was the biggest musical artist of the decade, what's so bad about her? We all loved her music while she was popular, admit it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/07 at 7:00 am

I consider Madonna's post-Like a Prayer and pre-Ray of Light era to be sorta experimental (i.e. Erotica, or the Sex book) with a few big AC hits, such as "Take a Bow" and "I'll Remember". Her '80s work was more consistantly enjoyable and fun, IMO. I feel the same about Mariah's early-mid '90s work like "Dreamlover" and "Always Be My Baby".

Both of them are kinda similar if you think about it, just in terms of reinventing themselves quite often, despite commercially peaking kinda early in their careers. Madonna is more groundbreaking and will probably have alot more longevity, though.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/07 at 10:48 am

Debbie Gibson

Written By: EdwardE on 06/17/07 at 10:49 am

Debbie Gibson
good or bad

Written By: Brian06 on 06/17/07 at 1:09 pm

Neither, both are good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 1:19 pm

good or bad
^^ and ^ all three?

Written By: woops on 06/17/07 at 4:16 pm

I also could've added Celine Dion

Deborah Gibson is Queen of the Pop Ballads, not Celine  8)

Madonna's only into creating controversy & attention she doesn't really need rather than good music. Pretty much why I got into Deb's music in the 1990's  (I was born in the mid 80s) since I didn't understood the hype about Madge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 4:39 pm

Madonna was perfect in the movie of the musical Evita.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/27/07 at 6:13 pm

Madonna and Mariah were both good in the '90s. I think it was actually Mariah's best that came out in the '90s and since 1999 she has produced just "fair" music. Even though her music is overplayed on the radio, it still brings back memories when I hear it.

Madonna's Ray of Light album is great! And her music from "Evita" was also very good. Her Bedtime Stories album also had quite a few gems. And geez, even to the very end of the '90s, she made that fun single "Beautiful Stranger" in 1999 for the Austin Power's movie.

Written By: robby76 on 07/28/07 at 8:02 am

While I'm not a big fan of either, they both came out with some decent stuff at some point in the 90s.

Madonna - Erotica was a superb album, Evita soundtrack was good and she had a few good songs on Bedtime Stories.

Mariah - Her first 3 or 4 albums were good. Some ballads were a bit depressing, but all in all worthy of her success.

HOWEVER... 00s Mariah = rnb dirge  ::) / 00s Madonna = bringing back 80s pop  :D

Written By: KKay on 07/28/07 at 8:28 am

As i got older I found that the disco-roller-skater in my can appreciate some Madonna, no matter which era (as long as she's not on screen)  but I will never, ever, ever be able to tolerate a second of Mariah (unless it's onscreen; where sh'es the most fun car accident I like to stare at- what a mess)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/07 at 9:47 am

Does anyone think Mariah's 1991-1993 material has a certain innocent sound to it the way early Madonna (i.e. "Borderline" does)? Whenever I hear "Dreamlover" now, even though it's a bit overplayed, it's a breezy song that takes me back. Even though it's Nineties, I think it's got some '80s elements, like the keyboard snippets.

Written By: Gis on 08/03/07 at 10:21 am

Does anyone think Mariah's 1991-1993 material has a certain innocent sound to it the way early Madonna (i.e. "Borderline" does)? Whenever I hear "Dreamlover" now, even though it's a bit overplayed, it's a breezy song that takes me back. Even though it's Nineties, I think it's got some '80s elements, like the keyboard snippets.
She was fine until she started doing all those *REALLY* annoying vocal warbling gymnastics, not sure how else to describe it but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Check for new replies or respond here...