inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crazy Crazes!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/06/05 at 5:45 pm

There have been a few wierd crazes throughout the 90s. Off the top of my head, I can remember:

Pogs
Pokemon Cards
Tamagochi
Adidas Trouser Stripes
Crazy Bones

Among others, right up until today when everybody's buying multicoloured wristbands here in the UK. What crazes can you remember distinctly and which ones did you get caught up in?

Subject: Re: Crazy Crazes!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/07/05 at 1:25 pm

what about those silly "slap bracelets"....I remember when those were popular and everyone was buying them up like nuts

Erin :)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/07/05 at 2:36 pm

what about those silly "slap bracelets"....I remember when those were popular and everyone was buying them up like nuts

I can't remember 'slap bracelets', sorry. Must've been an American thing

Written By: Everlong on 05/08/05 at 10:29 pm

GLITTER.  Oh my God, glitter.  This is a later thing, was probably more of a trend around 1999.  I was a pre-teen, and my friends would cover themselves in the stuff- and how about those weird necklaces, the black ones that were plastic chokers that were in those patterns- you know, those thingies.  I have no idea what they were called.  And since I'm on the topic of late 90s pre-teen girl trends, those bead bracelets that were supposedly Asian and had different properties- pink for love, green for luck, etc- I remember those as being very popular as well. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/05 at 12:00 am

I remember all the trends you mentioned although I was a bit too old for Pokemon when it came out (although some of my contempararies clearly weren't). Atm I think the big craze is probably still...well I don't really know since I'm not a kid anymore but it's probably something like Harry Potter or some Japanese anime cartoon.

Written By: Sugafairey on 05/10/05 at 8:11 am

I can't remember 'slap bracelets', sorry. Must've been an American thing

I'm from the UK and I remember slap bracelets. I once slapped one on after washing my hands and it slapped into the toilet bowl! :D

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/12/05 at 4:34 pm

Does anyone rememeber butterfly hair clips(often glitter coated) and other insect themed accesories?

Written By: Sugafairey on 05/12/05 at 5:07 pm

Does anyone rememeber butterfly hair clips(often glitter coated) and other insect themed accesories?

about 5 years ago you couldn't move for little kids covered in tiny glitter butterflies

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/12/05 at 6:21 pm

Yup, I remember the butterfly clips, the slap bracelets, and omg the chokers, of which I fell victim to.  I remember always getting those "chokers" that were pretty much just beaded circular wires that u stretched to put around your neck *shudder*
Hey do yall remember back in the mid-90s everyone was always wearing those "Starter" jackets  with the star.  Everyone wore them in elementary school....xcept me.  It's sad- I was poor and way behind the fashion times.  My classmates would make fun of me for wearing bell-bottoms.  Then a few years later they were making fun of me 4 wearing "high-waters"  :\'(

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/14/05 at 12:31 pm

Yup, I remember the butterfly clips, the slap bracelets, and omg the chokers, of which I fell victim to.  I remember always getting those "chokers" that were pretty much just beaded circular wires that u stretched to put around your neck *shudder*
Hey do yall remember back in the mid-90s everyone was always wearing those "Starter" jackets  with the star.  Everyone wore them in elementary school....xcept me.  It's sad- I was poor and way behind the fashion times.  My classmates would make fun of me for wearing bell-bottoms.  Then a few years later they were making fun of me 4 wearing "high-waters"   :\'(

Guilty, My best friend I were among the first to wear them on our block

She had the Miami Hurricanes and I had The Oakland raiders, with matching hats respectively.

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/14/05 at 5:22 pm

Yes! and Er!...I'm ashame to say that I have bunch of the small ones and tiny ones, but it does comes in handy to hold my braids or extensions in place, while killing my self at gym and at the same time trying to be cute about it!

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/14/05 at 5:26 pm

Let's not forget those "friendship bracelets"! Question is if this fad is over, does that mean the same for the thousands of teens girls, back in the day, as far as friendship?

Written By: Kyle on 05/15/05 at 12:26 pm

How about beaded hair.  That was another thing the just totally went out of style in the late '90s, preferably 1999.  Definetly a pre-teen thing, along with the glitter, and when you get past eighth grade, it's outta there.  Also, I remember those butterfly clips that every girl wore, and peaked about the 6th grade.  I wish these cool fads will come back.  :\'(

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/15/05 at 6:22 pm

Let's not forget those "friendship bracelets"! Question is if this fad is over, does that mean the same for the thousands of teens girls, back in the day, as far as friendship?

Hey how bout the WWJD bracelets and other gear?  I may be Christian but oh that WWJD stuff drove me crazy!

Written By: figwig on 05/16/05 at 2:31 pm

Guilty, My best friend I were among the first to wear them on our block

She had the Miami Hurricanes and I had The Oakland raiders, with matching hats respectively.

I still have my Chicago Bears starter Jacket and Wear it with pride 8)

Written By: lulu on 05/25/05 at 10:40 am

I'm still young but i remember the mood/beady bracelets as being a craze of my early childhood... Me and my friends had one for almost every emotion going...easier to deal with in a bracelet ???

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/25/05 at 10:44 am

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this thread! Yo-yos had a bit of a spell in the 90s as well, I remember having about 5

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/25/05 at 10:49 am

I remember when I was in high school (around 93-95) a lot of people would stand outside during their lunchbreaks and kick around a hackey sack.  I remember this one kid who was always out there....he always wore skirts (yes, skirts) to school.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/25/05 at 10:50 am

I remember when I was in high school (around 93-95) a lot of people would stand outside during their lunchbreaks and kick around a hackey sack.  I remember this one kid who was always out there....he always wore skirts (yes, skirts) to school.

bit too much info there. erin!  :o  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/25/05 at 10:56 am

bit too much info there. erin!   :o  ;D

hahhaa.....ya, he was apart of the "freaky" crowd in school....some of the guys wore kilts..but others wore these long girl skirts that were popular at the time....interesting..I'll give him that much

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/25/05 at 10:57 am

hahhaa.....ya, he was apart of the "freaky" crowd in school....some of the guys wore kilts..but others wore these long girl skirts that were popular at the time....interesting..I'll give him that much

Guys wearing skirts? Well, I think that tops it for the 'wierdest craze ever' countdown. I sure never heard of that one  ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/25/05 at 11:02 am

Ya i mean..I always kinda liked when guys wore eyeliner....but skirts...nah!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/25/05 at 11:04 am

Ya i mean..I always kinda liked when guys wore eyeliner....but skirts...nah!

;D

Written By: MagnumPI on 07/13/05 at 10:43 am

crazy bones (loved them)

Pokemon cards was a Phenomenon

Tamagati was just plain annoying

all that Lisa Frank stuff was crappy too (stationary)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/05 at 10:50 am

scratch and sniff stickers, smelly erasers, glitter bracelets/necklaces

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/18/05 at 11:02 am

All the girls are currently going crazy for Scoobies . We had 2 full boxes on my counter area at work... gone within 5 days  :o

The wristband craze has died down slightly...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 4:55 pm

friendship bracelets (made out of embroidery thread).....man, I could never get the hang of how to make those!!

Written By: Sugafairey on 07/19/05 at 10:38 am

friendship bracelets (made out of embroidery thread).....man, I could never get the hang of how to make those!!

Me neither, there was a girl at my school who used to make them by the ton and it used to really irritate me that i was physically incapable of it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/19/05 at 5:41 pm

Me neither, there was a girl at my school who used to make them by the ton and it used to really irritate me that i was physically incapable of it.

same here! I would try and try...but mine would always turn out to look so god-awful!! LOL!

Written By: Sugafairey on 07/20/05 at 4:53 pm

same here! I would try and try...but mine would always turn out to look so god-awful!! LOL!

Mine looked like a cat with some serious mental problems had attacked me during the process!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/20/05 at 10:40 pm

Mine looked like a cat with some serious mental problems had attacked me during the process!

;D

Written By: iluvthe80s on 07/21/05 at 7:26 am

Remember Furbees?  Those became very popular to collect in the late 90's.  I thought they were sort of cute.  :)

Written By: Donna on 07/22/05 at 9:21 am

In Florida,  when I was in 6th grade  there was this bracelet thing going around.  IT WAS WIRE FROM PHONE LINE BOXES.  kids would go out and vandalize and get the wire and braid it and sell them. U knew u were cool if a friend gave you one. lol

Some kids did end up getting in trouble though.    

there was something else I remember...  PINK HIGHTOP REEBOK'S

Check for new replies or respond here...