inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Toy from 90s, maybe 80s?

Written By: Jeff on 05/07/05 at 11:48 pm

Hello, I have this over in the 80s thread, but I'm thinking maybe it was from the early 90s instead since I'm not jogging anyones memories over there so I thought I'd give it a shot here too.

-----------

Also, on another topic, I'm trying to remember what a certain toy I had when I was a kid was called.  THe best I can describe it was it was a battery operated car that you would "fill with gas" with a little toy gas pump by inserting it in a hole near the rear window.  This would cause a series of dials on the bottom of the car to spin in one direction, untill the read "FULL".  The motor would then stop.  You would remove the gas nozzle and it would again begin to run, this time the wheels would turn, and the dials would go the ohet way untill the read "empty" and the car would shut off.  Does anyone remember this, and what it was called or where I could find it again?

------------

Thanks for the post.  After looking those up on ebay...(Hot Wheels Sizzlers, this was the only suggestion I received so far, but thats not it) they are very very similar to this thing I'm trying to describe, with a few differences.  My thing was a little larger, did not run on any sort of track, and the batteries did not go into the pump.  Rather than being an electrical connection from the pump to the car, all I believe the pump nozzel did was actuate a switch in the car causing the motor to spin 1 way, making those dials turn to read "full".  Thats the other thing too, I'm positive mine had a series of dials on the bottom.  This is driving me crazy now, trying to remember what it was.  I can't even locate a pic...of all the pics my paretns took of all my Stomper Trucks and other r/c cars and stuff, not one has this one in it.....  at least not one I can find.   If anyone has anymore ideas let me know.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Jeff

Subject: Re: Toy from 90s, maybe 80s?

Written By: Jeff on 05/14/05 at 3:31 am

Hello:

Just thought I'd try and post a few more thoughts as they came to mind....I was over on the "inthe80s"site and saw a thing called "gas guzzlers..."  well my thing was very very similar to these, except you didn't need any water and there was that "gauge" on the bottom of the car (those dials).  Mine just had the little pump, with a clear nozzle with that spiral thing in it that spin when put in the filler hole (back by the read window).  No water, but I saw those and that's the cloest thing to it so far.  Either those or the sizzlers, but no electricy (batteris) went in the pump.  It was just a mechanical connection.  Anyone, no one else had this but me....  WHy did I have to take everything apart when I was little, when it broke.  I wish now I woulda kept it longer till I was old enough to actually fix it maybe.  No luck on dogbrain either yet, I've tried a few different P2Ps and several google searches but turned up nothing.

Thx,

Jeff

Written By: Jeff on 05/24/05 at 12:54 pm

*bump*

Written By: Jeff on 06/06/05 at 11:31 pm

One last *bump* in hopes maybe someone will happen to hit on this and know the answer...

Jeff

Written By: Jeff on 07/08/05 at 12:54 am

*bump*

Written By: Jeff on 08/20/05 at 12:34 am

*bump*

Written By: refrigerationdude on 10/13/05 at 3:07 am

**bump** (new username, I finally registered)

Check for new replies or respond here...