inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Downfall of The Disney Channel...

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 05/10/05 at 5:04 pm

This is my last rant on The Disney Channel.  ;)

Does anybody remember when Disney aired classic Disney movies, cartoons, shows and none of that "Zoog" stuff came around until 1998, which is when they started to go downhill.

Granted, I disliked "Avanloea" (sp?), "Ocean Girl", and "The New Mickey Mouse Club", but I loved watching "Mouse Tracks", "Mousterpiece Theatre", "Walt Disney Presents", and "The Ink & Paint Club".  :)

Yes, it did started as Pay Per View channel, but I remember watching it in my relative's house.

Now it's just tween garbage like "Lizzie McGuire" & "Kim Possible".

Another great network gone bad: MTV, which we all agree on  :P

Subject: Re: The Downfall of The Disney Channel...

Written By: Marie on 05/12/05 at 8:40 pm

I can't remember the name of a cartoon that aired on the Disney channel around the same time as the Gummi Bears and Duck Tails. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, Please post it on this message board. The cartoon I believe was called the Racoons there was a mayor, and all the towns people and there were 3 main characters and they were kids. They all had long noses kind of like Gonzo from the muppets. Like I said I think they were called the Racoons but I am not sure, it also was on when Disney played cheesy music videos and the one that I remember was called I need a hair cut, I really need a hair cut. So please I need help to remember what it was called if any body knows please help me!!!!!!!!! Thank you :D

Written By: figwig on 05/16/05 at 2:13 pm

i remember the Hair Cut video, but those videos were on in the morning.  I used to watch the Raccoons too.

Written By: MagnumPI on 07/13/05 at 3:38 pm

who remembers when MTV was actually  ??? about music ???

P.S. The ink and paint club ROCKED

Written By: woops on 07/13/05 at 4:51 pm

P.S. The ink and paint club ROCKED

Ditto

I enjoyed watching it, especially the Donald Duck, Chip n' Dale, & the ones with Mickey, Donald & Goofy cartoons  :D  8)

Now only available on DVD (The Walt Disnet Treasures, Disney Classic Cartoon Favorites)

Written By: Harmonica on 07/13/05 at 5:00 pm

This is my last rant on The Disney Channel.  ;)

Does anybody remember when Disney aired classic Disney movies, cartoons, shows and none of that "Zoog" stuff came around until 1998, which is when they started to go downhill.

Granted, I disliked "Avanloea" (sp?), "Ocean Girl", and "The New Mickey Mouse Club", but I loved watching "Mouse Tracks", "Mousterpiece Theatre", "Walt Disney Presents", and "The Ink & Paint Club".  :)

Yes, it did started as Pay Per View channel, but I remember watching it in my relative's house.

Another great network gone bad: MTV, which we all agree on  :P

You hit the hammer on the nail.

Nickelodeon, MTV, Disney it's all gone down hill.  Sci-Fi is a mixed feeling for me.

I think Lifetime has gone down hill as well. I miss it's showing strange B movies compared to all of it's original work now.

Which is another big pet-peeve of mine. I miss the good old days when TV stations would actually show real movies, now a days everyone is showing "A USA original movie" or a "Disney Original Movie".  They're ok, even good sometimes, but "Original movies" are getting on my nerves.

Written By: MagnumPI on 07/13/05 at 7:29 pm

i agree theyve all degraded  >:(

Written By: annonymouse on 07/20/05 at 12:08 pm

chi chi chi chip and dale.  the best ever. chip and dale all the way.

i also loved duck tales.
                                          and hey this is way off subject but do any of u remember that whole robot thing that would come on inbetween shows on the commrcials and stuff. the web surfers or sumthin. all i remem ber is that there was a girl a boy and a dog. personally i liked the dog best. also they were animated and they lasted for like a month in their original appearance and then they were made 3d and then they just dissapeared the next year. any one know what they were called. its drivin me crazy. help me out please. i think it might have been zoog. but i dont remember each of their name the dog was browser i think>

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/02/06 at 2:51 pm

It's like an MTV for tweens. Even Toon Disney started to go down hill too  :(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/05/06 at 1:25 am

I liked the early Zoog stuff, from like 1999-2002, but that's because that's when I gave up Nick for it (around Y2K).

I've never been big on classic Disney, although it's certainly higher quality than most Zoog disney.  EXCEPT EVEN STEVENS!  :D

Written By: d90 on 10/09/16 at 7:59 pm

It's like an MTV for tweens. Even Toon Disney started to go down hill too  :(

I miss Toon Disney

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/09/16 at 8:13 pm

Man, most of the posts were made before Hannah Montana premiered. With all due respect, I think the modern golden age was from 2002-2006, since that's when most of their shows at the time started to peak .

Written By: d90 on 10/09/16 at 8:56 pm

Man, most of the posts were made before Hannah Montana premiered. With all due respect, I think the modern golden age was from 2002-2006, since that's when most of their shows at the time started to peak .

I think the golden age was from 1997-2006.

Subject: Re: The Downfall of The Disney Channel

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/09/16 at 9:19 pm

I think the golden age was from 1997-2006.

1997-2001 was the classic golden age, before they changed their logo in 2002. But 1997-2006 as a whole was the golden age for Disney Channel, since that's when they started to be known on basic cable.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/10/16 at 5:26 pm

Wow. I never thought I'd hear that.  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 5:34 pm

This was made in 2005 on a nostalgia board. What did you think they were gonna say? lol

Written By: d90 on 10/10/16 at 7:05 pm

Wonder what Maddie thought about the That so Throwback block on Freeform

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 7:10 pm

Wonder what Maddie thought about the That so Throwback block on Freeform

She'll probably cringe on how much she hated those shows during the 2000s. Also, I never knew that ABC Family was actually Freeform now. Must be for the fact that I don't like TV nowadays, which is why I never really know that until now.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/11/16 at 6:29 am

Some adults would have mentioned 1997 as the downfall since before it became a non-Pay Channel, it hosted a variety of content that included reruns of the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club, rock/pop concerts from many Boomer-era groups/artists, Walt-era movies/cartoons, and when the channel rebranded in its Zoog era, it was strictly targeted to kids. That said, I find early to mid-90s Disney Channel a lot like Nick at Nite, with the children's-targeted programming during the day (though more adult-friendly earlier in the '90s) and with adult-oriented programming at night. But even the kids really would like during the programming during IMO the channel's "True Golden Age". The '90s version of Mickey Mouse Club, Kids Incorporated ('80s), Teen Win, Lose or Draw, Mouse Factory, and Disney Afternoon reruns prior to the launch of Toon Disney, along with exclusives such as Adventures in Wonderland and the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. 1997-2006 was really just the Silver Age, since it was just kid-oriented like it still is now with commercial breaks being introduced, but with of course the quality superior to today's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 10:45 am

Some adults would have mentioned 1997 as the downfall since before it became a Pay Channel, it hosted a variety of content that included reruns of the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club, rock/pop concerts from many Boomer-era groups/artists, Walt-era movies/cartoons, and when the channel rebranded in its Zoog era, it was strictly targeted to kids. That said, I find early to mid-90s Disney Channel a lot like Nick at Nite, with the children's-targeted programming during the day (though more adult-friendly earlier in the '90s) and with adult-oriented programming at night. But even the kids really would like during the programming during IMO the channel's "True Golden Age". The '90s version of Mickey Mouse Club, Kids Incorporated ('80s), Teen Win, Lose or Draw, Mouse Factory, and Disney Afternoon reruns prior to the launch of Toon Disney, along with exclusives such as Adventures in Wonderland and the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. 1997-2006 was really just the Silver Age, since it was just kid-oriented like it still is now with commercial breaks being introduced, but with of course the quality superior to today's.

For something like that, I could change my mind with what I think about Disney Channel for the eras. I only watched Disney Channel during its Silver Age, since I didn't enjoy it after 2006. I did watch Toon Disney during the late 2000s though, but I favored Nickelodeon more than any of Disney's stuff at that time.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/11/16 at 1:02 pm

I think the Disney Channel got worse in 1997. It got worse again in 06-07.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 3:12 pm

I guess you grew up with Disney Channel during its pay-TV era.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/11/16 at 9:53 pm

Some adults would have mentioned 1997 as the downfall since before it became a Pay Channel, it hosted a variety of content that included reruns of the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club, rock/pop concerts from many Boomer-era groups/artists, Walt-era movies/cartoons, and when the channel rebranded in its Zoog era, it was strictly targeted to kids. That said, I find early to mid-90s Disney Channel a lot like Nick at Nite, with the children's-targeted programming during the day (though more adult-friendly earlier in the '90s) and with adult-oriented programming at night. But even the kids really would like during the programming during IMO the channel's "True Golden Age". The '90s version of Mickey Mouse Club, Kids Incorporated ('80s), Teen Win, Lose or Draw, Mouse Factory, and Disney Afternoon reruns prior to the launch of Toon Disney, along with exclusives such as Adventures in Wonderland and the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. 1997-2006 was really just the Silver Age, since it was just kid-oriented like it still is now with commercial breaks being introduced, but with of course the quality superior to today's.

I agree with you. I've always seen pre-late '90s Disney Channel as the networks true "Golden Age". To me, the Disney Channel was at it's best back when it had a perfect balance of Disney Afternoon shows like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, etc., as well as classic era stuff on shows like Donald's Quack Attack and Mickey's Mouse Tracks.

I don't say this as a knock against the Zoog Disney era either, by the way. I still watched the Disney Channel quite a bit during the late '90s and early '00s as a preteen/teen. Even though I do think of that era as being the "Silver Age", I do still have fond memories of watching shows like Jett Jackson, and Disney Original Movies like Brink! and Johnny Tsunami.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 12:03 am

Disney Channel fell after about 2008.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 10:08 am

Disney Channel fell after about 2008.

Disney Channel sucked at the time. It was mostly tween sitcoms and reruns of Hannah Montana shown over and over again. Toon Disney started to do the same thing, but it was changed as Disney XD in early 2009.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 2:34 pm

Disney Channel sucked at the time. It was mostly tween sitcoms and reruns of Hannah Montana shown over and over again. Toon Disney started to do the same thing, but it was changed as Disney XD in early 2009.

I ended my relationship with The Disney Channel that year.

http://cdn.tinybuddha.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Breaking-Up.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 2:46 pm

I ended my relationship with The Disney Channel that year.

http://cdn.tinybuddha.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Breaking-Up.jpg

Heh. I guess you didn't really like Disney Channel after they aired Hannah Montana so much.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 3:38 pm

Heh. I guess you didn't really like Disney Channel after they aired Hannah Montana so much.

The only show I liked post 2008 was iCarly.  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 4:30 pm

The only show I liked post 2008 was iCarly.  :)

Was there outside of children's television that you liked from television?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 5:42 pm

Was there outside of children's television that you liked from television?

I liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Sopranos, Mad tv, Family Guy, and Sex and the City!  :-X  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 5:46 pm

I liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Sopranos, Mad tv, Family Guy, and Sex and the City!  :-X  :-X

7WD_huUFims

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 5:48 pm

7WD_huUFims

And Harry Potter! :.ducks:.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 5:49 pm

And Harry Potter! :.ducks:.

That's not really bad, to be honest. It's pretty hard to find a good show for me nowadays, so I know how you feel.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 5:52 pm

That's not really bad, to be honest. It's pretty hard to find a good show for me nowadays, so I know how you feel.

I also like The Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black, Family Guy, and Mad Men.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/13/16 at 11:53 am

I agree with you. I've always seen pre-late '90s Disney Channel as the networks true "Golden Age". To me, the Disney Channel was at it's best back when it had a perfect balance of Disney Afternoon shows like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, etc., as well as classic era stuff on shows like Donald's Quack Attack and Mickey's Mouse Tracks.

I don't say this as a knock against the Zoog Disney era either, by the way. I still watched the Disney Channel quite a bit during the late '90s and early '00s as a preteen/teen. Even though I do think of that era as being the "Silver Age", I do still have fond memories of watching shows like Jett Jackson, and Disney Original Movies like Brink! and Johnny Tsunami.

Mind blown!!!! This just goes to show ya how generational things can get! :o :o :o
Most people my age definitely don't think like that. 1983-1996 is bascially the prehistoric age. ;D  It's usuallly 1997-2005 or 2002-2005 as the golden age to people my cohort.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 12:28 pm

Mind blown!!!! This just goes to show ya how generational things can get! :o :o :o
Most people my age definitely don't think like that. 1983-1996 is bascially the prehistoric age. ;D  It's usuallly 1997-2005 or 2002-2005 as the golden age to people my cohort.

It could be different with today's kids, since they probably think that the channel's golden age was around the 2010s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/13/16 at 12:59 pm

It could be different with today's kids, since they probably think that the channel's golden age was around the 2010s.

Yes my friend, unfortunately it's a cycle. :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 1:22 pm

Yes my friend, unfortunately it's a cycle. :(

Yeah. I wish today's kids would embrace the old Disney Channel shows that we grew up with. I mean, they already did a Disney Throwback block on Freeform (the new ABC Family name).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/14/16 at 11:23 am

Oh, you're 100% right about that. All of these discussions tend to be very "generational".

It's a similar thing with Nickelodeon. Kids that were born years earlier than me (like late '70s babies) love pre-1991 Nick shows like You Can't Do That on Television, while most kids my age view those shows as "prehistoric" and prefer '90s Nick. Pretty much anything that came out before Hey Dude or Welcome Freshmen is like another world to me.

That's one thing that makes these pop cultural discussions so interesting to me. Almost everybody has a different point of view on things depending on when they were born.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/14/16 at 12:29 pm

Oh, you're 100% right about that. All of these discussions tend to be very "generational".

It's a similar thing with Nickelodeon. Kids that were born years earlier than me (like late '70s babies) love pre-1991 Nick shows like You Can't Do That on Television, while most kids my age view those shows as "prehistoric" and prefer '90s Nick. Pretty much anything that came out before Hey Dude or Welcome Freshmen is like another world to me.

That's one thing that makes these pop cultural discussions so interesting to me. Almost everybody has a different point of view on things depending on when they were born.

I see this as well whenever people are talking about the downfall of specific networks. Whenever I see people talk about Nick's downfall on YouTube, it's usually around 2005-2009 where they think it's bad now. It might have to deal with what they watched as kids, which I'm considering most of them are early-mid 2000s kids. In other words, they're like the same age as mqg96 and Eazy-EMan1995.

For me, it's around late 2009. I truly think that the logo change made the network look awkward. People who might be older than me would disagree, since they probably stopped watching earlier than 1999. However, I would rarely change my mind to think that 2009 was the year that changed Nickelodeon for the worse.

Check for new replies or respond here...