inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cruelty to the Trix rabbit

Written By: Satish on 05/12/05 at 8:15 pm

You know those ads for Trix breakfast cereal? They have a cartoon rabbit that wants to try the cereal, but the kids won't let him. They tell him "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids." Am I the only one who finds those ads revolting? They encourage unkindness and cruelty. I feel so bad for the rabbit. All he wants to do is try some Trix. What's wrong with that?

And on top of that, those ads perpetuate the concept of class privilege, too. The notion that only certain groups in society should have access to certain things is totally outdated. Saying something like "Trix are just for kids" goes completely against the idea of equality.

Don't even get me started on those Lucky Charms ads with the cartoon leprechaun. They encourage stealing, not to mention bigotry against the Irish.

Subject: Re: Cruelty to the Trix rabbit

Written By: AL-B on 05/12/05 at 8:36 pm

And let's not forget the ads for Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles, where Barney Rubble has to resort to trickery and deceit in order to get just a sample of Fred's cereal. The commercials would always end where Barney had successfully tricked Fred out of his Pebbles, and Fred would end up chasing him around Bedrock. (And we never found out what would happen if Fred would actually catch Barney...would he kill him?) But yeah, that is odd. It seems like quite a few of those kids' cereal ads encouraged selfishness and greed. They'd have a hero (who appeared on the front of the box) and a villain who would try and steal his cereal. The more sugar in the cereal, the more desperate the villain would become. After all, no one ever tried to steal a bowl of Rice Krispies from Snap, Krackle, and Pop. Coincidence?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/12/05 at 9:02 pm

What about Lucky and his Lucky Charms?  ::)  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/12/05 at 9:10 pm

You know those ads for Trix breakfast cereal? They have a cartoon rabbit that wants to try the cereal, but the kids won't let him. They tell him "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids." Am I the only one who finds those ads revolting? They encourage unkindness and cruelty. I feel so bad for the rabbit. All he wants to do is try some Trix. What's wrong with that?

And on top of that, those ads perpetuate the concept of class privilege, too. The notion that only certain groups in society should have access to certain things is totally outdated. Saying something like "Trix are just for kids" goes completely against the idea of equality.

Don't even get me started on those Lucky Charms ads with the cartoon leprechaun. They encourage stealing, not to mention bigotry against the Irish.

Why is this in the 90's? Those commercials date back to the 70's...possibly the 60's, as far as my old mind can recall :D ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/05 at 10:14 pm

what about the little bandit in the cookie crisp ads??? doesn't he deserve to try that chocolaty cereal??

Erin :)

Written By: zcrito on 05/12/05 at 10:57 pm

You can write General Mills (is it them?) and ask them why they run those ads. I wonder if they did some market research and found those type of ads are what appeal to children for whatever reason. Look at "The Simpsons" and their take on children and their viewing habits with "The Itchy & Scratchy Show". Itchy (the mouse) repeatedly tortures Scratchy for an eternity and Lisa and Bart laugh with delight.

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/itchy_scratchy_poster-01.jpg

Written By: MysteryGoat on 05/12/05 at 11:39 pm

It's just a commercial.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/05 at 8:53 am

What about "The Hamburglar" on the  Simpsons Homer The Clown episode in 1995 ;D

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/14/05 at 9:04 am

what about the little bandit in the cookie crisp ads??? doesn't he deserve to try that chocolaty cereal??

They took him out years ago, and the cop, and just kept the dog.

Written By: Satish on 05/14/05 at 9:35 am

Why is this in the 90's? Those commercials date back to the 70's...possibly the 60's, as far as my old mind can recall :D ;)

Were these ads around back in the 60s and 70s? Well, I suppose that's true. But it was in the 90s when I first saw them for the first time(and I haven't seen them since, because I don't really watch kids' shows anymore).

Please pardon the mistake!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/05 at 9:48 am

Were these ads around back in the 60s and 70s? Well, I suppose that's true. But it was in the 90s when I first saw them for the first time(and I haven't seen them since, because I don't really watch kids' shows anymore).

Please pardon the mistake!
It's cool ;) Did you know that the Rabbit actually got to eat the Trix once?! It was in the 80's, I think ??? :)

Written By: jiminy on 05/14/05 at 10:20 am

Fred and Barney selling Winston cigarettes
http://webhome.idirect.com/~latrell/graphics/fredbarn.jpg

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flintston.html

Written By: whitewolf on 05/14/05 at 2:47 pm

same as the sugar bear for the sugar crisp cereal, in those commercials he sneaks in past the security guard to get some cereal.

Check for new replies or respond here...