inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jude Cole - 80's or 90's artist?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/05 at 7:18 am

I very vaguely recall hearing "Baby It's Tonight" a couple times around 1991. I also once saw the video for "Start The Car" - a vaguely alt rock-influenced song that seemed to be sorta "made over" for the early '90s. His style seems evenly split between Bryan Adams/Foreigner-type arena-pop rock, and alternative pop artists, such as Del Amitri or the Counting Crows.

The combination may seem like it wouldn't work, but it really does, because it's more residual on both sides.

Subject: Re: Jude Cole - 80's or 90's artist?

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/07 at 5:48 pm

Jude Cole is definately 90s.  I actually had totally forgotten all about his music until just recently.  I noticed him in the Top 40 while I was browsing Canadian chart listings, so I downloaded some of his songs, and it was a total blast from the past  8) 

'Baby It's Tonight' is simply awesome!

For those who don't remember Jude Cole, click one of the highlighted song titles in the discography below to watch the video:

Year 1990 1990199119911992 1993 1995

Song Title Baby It's Tonight Time For Letting Go House Full of Reasons Compared to Nothing Start the Car Tell the Truth Believe in You

United States #16#32#69--#71 #57 --

Canada #6#15#34#81#24 #36 #76

Written By: woops on 06/07/07 at 10:11 pm

Never heard of him  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/08/07 at 1:23 am

This thread is old! ;D

Since it's been two years that I first posted this, I now think "Time For Letting Go" is on common ground with alot of the glossy synthpop of the late '80s, but isn't that dated either.

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/07 at 1:25 am

This thread is old! ;D

I was gonna start a new thread on Jude Cole, but on a hunch, I did a search first.  I'm surprised this thread existed.  I didn't think anyone knew of Jude Cole but me LOL

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/08/07 at 1:33 am

Oh cool, yeah alot of the pop hits from then are at a rare one-hit wonder status now. The "weak '80s" stuff from 1989-1991/'92 seemed to have a short mainstream life. I guess I was lucky I was into VH1 then, lol.

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/07 at 2:02 am

Yeah, Jude Cole was one of those artists who was popular at the time, but not the kind of singer you'd probably still remember years later, sort of like Joshua Kadison or Marc Cohn. 
Though in Cohn's case, he was brought back into the spotlight when he had that accident last year, and people remembered that he did 'Walking in Memphis'

Written By: Gis on 06/08/07 at 8:44 am

I vaguely remember my friend had one of his albums which was pretty good.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/07 at 9:40 am

I had forgotten all about this person. Hahaha..now that I think about it, I used to think he was saying, "baby it's too late"....but he's really saying "baby it's tonight" :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...