inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "What About Bob"

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/05/05 at 11:47 am

Anyone else a fan of this? I'd say it ranks with both Ghostbusters, and Groundhog Day as the best Bill Murray movie. :)

Aside from the "fun" feeling and some fall-down funny/entertaining scenes, one thing I liked, was that you often didn't really know who the "hero" was, or who you should root for. Like, you can understand how Leo just wants to be left alone on vacation (and when Bob doesn't "get" that, it only works to frustrate him way more!), but you also see Bob as a fun loving guy who just wants some attention and friendship.

PS: If this were real, when Good Morning America got to the house, the best thing would've been for Dr. Marvin to tell Bob to "go upstairs and stay there" -- that would've solved alot. ;D

Subject: Re: "What About Bob"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/05/05 at 3:29 pm

This is one of my favorite films !  ;D

Dr. Leo Marvin: You think he's gone? He's not gone. That's the whole point! He's never gone!
Bob Wiley: Is this some radical new therapy?
Dr. Leo Marvin: YOU SEE ?

Dr. Leo Marvin: This is black powder, Bob. A teaspoon of it can blow up a tree stump.
Bob Wiley: How much you got there?
Dr. Leo Marvin: Twenty pounds.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 11:16 pm

that movie was funny!!!  Bob drove me nuts in that movie....but overall, it was a good movie!

Erin :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/05 at 3:32 pm

that movie was funny!!! Bob drove me nuts in that movie....but overall, it was a good movie!

Yeah, I think Bob actually annoyed me more in the beginning - like when he tracked Dr. Marvin down in town, and constantly was bugging him (i.e. "I need, I need, gimmie") - no wonder it drove Leo crazy! :D

When he became friends with the family, I found it hard to dislike him.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 6:43 pm

I couldn't stand when the doctor would take out those puppets and have a "family meeting" with them...>GRRRR!!!  I liked that little boy who was obsessed with death....he was a cutie!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/05 at 7:13 pm

I couldn't stand when the doctor would take out those puppets and have a "family meeting" with them...>GRRRR!!! I liked that little boy who was obsessed with death....he was a cutie!

Oh yeah, I remember the puppets, LOL! That was strange too.

Siggy (the son) was funny too. He's actually the nerdy guy from Can't Hardly Wait (I was amazed when I found that out, but I could see the resemblence - even if he was 7 years older). ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 7:32 pm

ya I know...he looks about the same...but older now.....hey, did you know that he was also the kid in the movie, "Dick Tracy"....I haven't seen that one in years!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/05 at 7:34 pm

^ Cool, I didn't know that. :)

I saw that way back in 1990, but since that was before "Bob" came out, I didn't make the connection.

I think some people just age well - he obviously has (as of '98 anyway) whereas some people you can see them 2 years later and be like, "Who are you again?" LOL.

EDIT - On that subject, I have to say Bill Murray himself has aged HORRIBLY in the last 10 years. He was born in 1950, and in "Bob" he could've passed for 33-35 (he was 41) -- even in the mid 90's he looked young. Now, he's like a 60ish-looking guy with white hair and an old man beard!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 10:27 pm

^ Cool, I didn't know that. :)

I saw that way back in 1990, but since that was before "Bob" came out, I didn't make the connection.

I think some people just age well - he obviously has (as of '98 anyway) whereas some people you can see them 2 years later and be like, "Who are you again?" LOL.

EDIT - On that subject, I have to say Bill Murray himself has aged HORRIBLY in the last 10 years. He was born in 1950, and in "Bob" he could've passed for 33-35 (he was 41) -- even in the mid 90's he looked young. Now, he's like a 60ish-looking guy with white hair and an old man beard!

ya, you are right....I used to have a crush on him and Dan Akryod when I was younger! LOL!

Written By: Im Batman on 06/06/05 at 11:14 pm

Bill Murray's best movie by far.  Rushmore, Lost in Translation were both over rated.

Subject: "What About Bob"

Written By: Dude111 on 02/27/18 at 10:13 am

This is one of my favorite films !  ;D

I love it also....... When I got it Penny on its official VHS tape I saw they had DIGITALLY MASTERED it and it looked horrible! (Wierd/unnatural colours,etc)

I finally got a copy of the movie recorded off analogue cable in the 90s! (HBO I think) and its goregous!!

I like this movie and Quick Change,both are Bills best in the 90s!

Check for new replies or respond here...