inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rewind: a look back at NASCAR season 1993:

Written By: tv on 06/14/05 at 1:10 pm

Alot of things happened in NASCAR in 1993:

-Driver of the Miller Genuine Draft Pontiac(Rusty Wallace) won 10 races in 1993 and finished 2nd place in total points for the year. He also flipped on his cars roof twice(once in the Daytona 500 and once at the end of the Winston 500 at Talladega Superspeedway where he flipped at the finish line but still finshed in 6th place!) Wallace had already won 5 races by the season first half quater point I think.

-Dale Earnhardt Sr. after one of the worst years of his career in 1992 won the Winston Cup Championship in 1993.

-Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki(1992 Winston Cup Champion) were both killed in 1993 in plane crashes. Ironically the plane that Davey was in crashed near his hometrack(Talladega Superspeedway) in Alabama. Rusty Wallace honored Kulwicki with the polish victory lap after Rusty's win in the Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway. The "Polish Victory Lap" was a victory lap that Kulwicki had made famous. Other kind gestures were made in Davey's and Alan's memory after the season finale Hooters 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Rusty Wallace and Dale Earnhardt Sr. each waved flags with Kulwicki and Davey's name on them after Rusty took the checkered flag in that race.

Jeff Gordon won NASCAR Rookie of the Year in 1993.

Current Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs got his first win as a car owner when his Dale Jarrett took the checkered flag at the season opening Daytona 500. Jarrett beat Dale Earnhardt Sr. to the finish line to win that race. It was one of Earnhardt Sr.'s bitter losses in the Daytona 500. Earnhardt Sr. had dominated the race in leading 107 of the 200 laps.

Legendary Car Owners Eddie and Lenord Wood(legendary car owners) won after their driver Morgan Shepherd who piloted the #21 Citgo Ford to the checkered Flag in the Purolator 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Finally, It was the first time in years legendary driver Richard Petty was not drving his infamous #43 STP Pontiac. Petty had retired at the end of the 1992 season.

Mark Martin who piloted the #6 Valvoline Ford at the time won 4 races in a row in 1993. His streak started in winning "The Bud At the Glen" in Watkins Glen, NY. He then won at Michigan International Speedway. He then took the checkered flag at the Goody's 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tennesee. He then completed his 4 race winning streak in winning the Labor Day Classic Mountain Dew Southern 500 at Darlington, South Carolina.

Subject: Re: Rewind: a look back at NASCAR season 1993:

Written By: les on 06/14/05 at 1:14 pm

who won the indy 500 that year ?

Written By: tv on 06/14/05 at 1:21 pm

who won the indy 500 that year ?
Well I didn't make this board to talk about Indy Car Racing but to answer your question "Emerson Fidiipaldi"(I don't know how you spell his last name.) He won the Indy 500 that year I think.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/15/05 at 7:34 pm

My fave NASCAR driver-Tony Stewart-was racing in USAC at that time...he came to the NASCAR Busch Series in 1997 with Joe Gibbs Racing...and 'Smoke'(Tony's nickname!) moved up to (then)Winston Cup,full-time,in 1999.

Check for new replies or respond here...