inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What i remember mostly about the 90s

Written By: TheTeenFrom1992 on 06/14/05 at 1:33 pm

I live in Melbourne Victoria in Australia & the main things i remember about the 90s were undercut hairstyles, baggy Stussy pants that had an elastic in the waist & a little black Stussy tag at on the side of the right leg, Kuta Lines jumpers, Nike Air Jordans & Reebok Pumps. I remember doing homework to music like Ugly Kid Joe's America's Least Wanted album, Nirvana ofcourse, & The Poor's song More Wine Waiter Please among loads of other stuff. I remember it was when BMX bikes didn't weigh 10 tonnes & you could get loads of air on them. I remember Super Nintendo was the reigning games system & Street Fighter II & Mortal Kombat were the 2 most popular arcade games. I remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was getting repeats on morning TV before school on Agro's Cartoon Connection. Even though i'm more of an 80s child i still have a lot of fond memories of the 90s

Subject: Re: What i remember mostly about the 90s

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/14/05 at 4:55 pm

The early 90's was pretty cool, but the rest of the decade sucked. The grunge and rap/hiphop movements ruined it. I'll never understand why people fell for that crap.

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 06/16/05 at 1:45 am

Totally agree with you. I was born in 1978 so i was already a teenager in 1991, so i remember the early 90s very clearly. I was still into hard rock & metal bands of the 80s & we'd just moved into a new area when i was starting highschool. I remember starting at a new school in a new area & i didn't know anyone. Everyone at this school was into NWA & wearing parachute pants & i remember thinkin what f**kin planet am i on here. I was a total outcast. That all changed in the space of less than a year & i found people i had something in common with & the parachute pants/rap fad started to slowly disappear. As for grunge thing, well that depends. I hated the word grunge coz everyone thought it was this new thing & in actual fact it was music that had been around for ages. Like Sonic Youth, they were around in the 80s. Also Kurt Cobain admited trying to ripp off the Pixies to a certain extent (another 80s band). It was all a mish mash of alternative that'd kind of peaked at the time & so someone was clever enough to stick a new label on it when really it was still the same thing it'd always been. It was all careful marketing same as all this nu-metal crap. I hated how they put Pearl Jam & some other bands in the same basket as Nirvana. They were nothing alike & didn't even sound remotely similar & Pearl Jam sounded more like just a regular radio friendly rock band. Some marketing genius decided to take a mish mash of alternative bands coming out of Seatle at the time & neatly package it all as "grunge" for us 90s kids. It all started because of Nirvana's popularity & they didn't quite know how to catergorise them, so someone coined a term grunge & it just caught on through radio & the media. I saw through it all even back then. I just saw them as another alternative band that became extremely popular. I actually didn't mind Nirvana in the year or two before they bacame a band that little loved becuse they had a crush on Kurt Cobain, but i never really got swept up in the whole"grunge" thing.

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 06/16/05 at 2:16 am

but yeah, despite the shakey start to the 90s with us moving to a whole new area & being exposed to a whole different environment,my fondest memories were actually of the early to mid 90s. Probably from 1990 to 1994 or 1995, after that i started backtracking to the 80s for music & doing my own thing & not paying much attention to what was going on around me in terms of popular culture & especially fashion, hate fashion. As a result, the second half of the 90s passed me before i had a chance to even look around & realise how f**ked & lame everything had become.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/19/05 at 11:12 pm

What I remember most about the 90's: Grunge Rock, Girly Pop, O.J. Trial, Monica-Clinton scandal.

Written By: Vostok on 06/20/05 at 8:05 pm

I was a child of the 90's

The REALLY early 90's (90-91) are hard to remember but I recall that they still seemed like the 1980's to an extent; I remember some people still gave a damn about bands such as New kids on the Block, and I remember a few people with their brightly colored surfer outfits

The early-middle times (92-94) was all about over-rated grunge bands like nirvana and awful hip-hop garbage such as Tag Team and House of Pain, and everyone was running around in baggy blue jeans with holes in the knees, flannel plaid shirts and Doc Martins.

Then the mid-90's (94-96) came along and grunge started to fade away when Kurt Cobain died making room for numerous short-lived me toos. It was ultimately replaced by gangsta rap, which was really quite powerful actually had enough shock value to be counter-culture at the time (Yes, rap was a counter-culture scene at one point in time). Everyone started watching shows that everyone's parents feared and wanted to eradicate, such as Power Rangers and  Beavis & Butthead like they were religion. The OJ Simpson fiasco was all over the news, and it got to the point of being really annoying, and the big fashion trends were Air Jordans, No Fear T-Shirts and Baggy blue jeans worn around the knees or low enough to expose the wearer's underpants. And I can remember the girls wearing knee-high tights with REALLY short skirts

In the later 90's (97-98) people stopped giving a damn about grunge, rap was becoming more mainstream than counter-culture, but for the most part, most pop culture trends all but completely made way for terrible girly pop like the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys, and movies such as Titanic which attracted droves of teenage hopeless romantics. And not to mention everyone started to dress rather preppy, complete with platform shoes, stretchy white headbands and all that other crap. Oh yea and I think there was a brief fad where they started making every type of clothing imaginable out of Camoflague print. And then there all the fake gothics who worshipped marilyn manson just to piss of their parents. The swear-fest South Park that was taking the world by storm pissed of many people even more. Now you can find South Park T-shirts and toys in the .25 cent bin at the local flea market. Now that OJ was said and done, we were constantly bombarded to the point of annoyance with the media circus that erupted from Bill Clinton's sex scandal, Princess Diana's death and that damn child model who was murdered in her basement.

I find that the end of the 90's (1999) was really distinct from the rest of the decade. Lots of novelty pop and still plenty of girly pop was circulating, People were dressing really preppy in their Kahkis and Gap t-shirts, indicating that the 90's grunge and gangsta rap roots were long gone. poser rock was starting to catch on, and eventually people must have got sick of the awful teeny bopper music that cluttered up throughout the year, for the even more awful nu-metal music hit the scene. Rap and Hip hop were starting to make a come back, but were completely mainstream. The big media circus of the year was the Columbine shooting, which a couple of kids who were picked on non-stop by rich highschool jocks shot up their school.  People ended up blaming computer games, marilyn manson and goth subculture on the incident.

And onto the 2000's

Written By: Vicki on 06/29/05 at 10:57 am

honestly what i remember about the 90s is nothing cool. basically for me it was watching full house (i was a huge mary-kate & ashley olsen fan) and listening to tlc & ace of base.  i'm now into music such as nirvana, jeff buckley, mudhoney, the melvins, the meat puppets, pearl jam, stp, etc.  i wish i had been more in tune with the much better music but hey, i was only 7 when kurt cobain died. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/05 at 11:02 am

honestly what i remember about the 90s is nothing cool. basically for me it was watching full house...

Hey, Full House is cool, so don't worry! :D 8)

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 07/06/05 at 10:43 am

Hey Marty Mcfly, great alias. The Back To The Future series is fantastic. I took it for granted when it first came out in the 80s, but when i watched all 3 the other day i was amazed at the awsome character development & the way all the town & family historys were made to link up so well. Plus all the awesome time travel theories constantly explained to Marty by Doc & it all linked up well in every movie. It was like a maths equation on acid.
Hey Vicki, i remember the whole grunge thing & early 90s very well coz i was a already in my teens by 1991, but i kinda took everything that was going on at the time for granted. If only i'd known how tacky & lame the music, fashion & culture would become in years to come (like now). The bands back then had a rawness similar to the punk rock of the 80s which was part of the appeal. They definatly weren't poser rock bands that dressed all preppy. At The end of the 90s & over the past three years or so though rock radio has been swarmed by bands trying to mix early-90's alternative rock with pop sensibilities, but unfortunately most of these acts tend to come off as almost appallingly indistinguished (think Nickelback). Whereas the late 80s & early 90s altenative bands were not only doing it about 15 or 20 years before any of these bands, but doing it a hell of a lot better. Hell even rap rock was done 1000 times better, think Bodycount & remember the Judgement Night Soundtrack. For the record i hate rap & i can't stand all this extra bland & mediocre rap rock sh!t that's out there right now, but both Bodycount & the Judgement Night Soundtrack i actually didn't mind & it's one of my guilty pleasures. Shhhhhhhh don't tell anyone ;D. Ofcourse the rap rock thing was done as early as the the early & mid 80s with Aerosmith & Run DMC doing Walk This Way & Anthrax & Public Enemy with Bring The Noise so it definatly wasn't pioneered in the late 90s nor was it a product of the 90s. Some of the kiddies between generation x & generation y & later need to educate themselves if they think it was.  

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/06/05 at 9:43 pm

Actually, Back to the future does a crappy job at explaining the paradoxes. I like the movies, but you have to look past the paradoxes. Remember how Marty goes back to 1985, and its an alternate timeline, and then they miraculously change it back? Couldn't happen. Once it had been changed, they couldn't undo it, because the circumstances to change it to the exact way it was could never happen again. And them taking the sports book from Biff in 1955 is laughable!! The only way to really stop him from knowing about the book is by going to the future to make sure he never hears about it in the first place. But they did a good job TRYING to explain it. Time Travel itself is a paradox, so I guess Hollywood can do what they want with the subject.

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 07/06/05 at 11:02 pm

Yeah but it was still done excellently for a lighthearted & mildly cheesy Hollywood family film, remember it's hollywood we're talking about here. When was the last time they made a family movie as appealing, exciting & likable. As for going to the future to prevent Biff from hearing about the book, Doc explains that that is not possible because it would be the alternate future where Biff has all the power & practically owns the police if they left from the point they were at becuse the past had already been altered through his actions. Basically he changed the past so the future they would travel to from that point would not be the same future as the one where Biff gets the book. They'd have to go back to a time before the future unfolded into an alternate future. Facsinating concept. You're right about time travel itself being a paradox though.

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 07/06/05 at 11:30 pm

Come on you've gotta admitt it was 1000 times better than Bill & Ted (LOL) & even did a better job at trying to explain time travel than the Terminator films, which never even went into the whole time travel thing except for the implying that they had to prevent the future through the past & present. The way they overlapped stuff that Marty had already done in the past with what he was trying to achieve in the past in the sequel was done well & i like the way all the town & family histories linked up in each film. I think it's about as good as you'll get from Hollywood & the time travel thing is damn impossible to do without contradictions anyway.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/05 at 11:42 pm

Thanks for the compliments! BTW, if there's a BTTF discussion of course I have to join in. :)

I admit, if time travel existed in the real world, it would be nothing like that - the BTTF universe seems to be a single, changeable timeline which you can consistently change. When the newspapers change text, they're reflecting the current (and only) reality they're in, IMO.

So, my opinion of what happened in Part 2:

Old Biff (auto detailing) steals the time machine from "successful George 2015" with the almanac, and goes back to November 12th 1955 (the "successful George" one obviously, since Marty from Part 1 is already there).

He gives himself the almanac and leaves for 2015. My opinion -- which Doc kind of reiterates in the Evil 1985 -- was that Biff did arrive in "his" Evil 2015, but because everything always becomes its 'other self', so did Old Biff. There was a deleted scene where he disappeared which was removed since it would confuse the audience, but I'm tending to believe it happened.

It was suggested that Lorraine shot and killed Biff (which who could blame her for!) in 1996 of the Evil timeline. Maybe that's why it didn't appear to change when Successful 2015 turned into Evil 2015 (which I would assume it did when Biff landed and got out - just after Doc rescured Jennifer from her future home).

So later when they leave Evil 1985, they arrive in Evil 1955 (once Old Biff arrives is where the "split" is) and get the almanac off 17 year old Biff and destroy it. This makes the original 1985 (well, second original) the one of the future again - why the newspapers from the Evil timeline change back.

Hope that made some sense, LOL! In any case I agree it's pretty non-plausible! ;D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/07/05 at 4:20 am

Its fantasyland. Once the future, or past, has been altered, there is absolutely no way of changing it back to how it was before. Just by coming into contact with one person in the past, you set off a chain reaction and alter millions of destinies. This is why if time travel is possible, it should never be attempted.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/05 at 1:41 pm

Its fantasyland. Once the future, or past, has been altered, there is absolutely no way of changing it back to how it was before. Just by coming into contact with one person in the past, you set off a chain reaction and alter millions of destinies. This is why if time travel is possible, it should never be attempted.

True, you could never get it down exactly (even if you're in the past for one second and leave, there's still air particles that you "disturbed" which weren't in the original history, for instance).

In real life, I don't think the ST/C would be as forgiving. ;)

Written By: tv on 07/09/05 at 9:33 pm

The early 90's was pretty cool, but the rest of the decade sucked. The grunge and rap/hiphop movements ruined it. I'll never understand why people fell for that crap.
I liked the grunge movement and some of the rap music back then.

Written By: tv on 07/09/05 at 9:44 pm

I was a child of the 90's

The REALLY early 90's (90-91) are hard to remember but I recall that they still seemed like the 1980's to an extent; I remember some people still gave a darn about bands such as New kids on the Block, and I remember a few people with their brightly colored surfer outfits

The early-middle times (92-94) was all about over-rated grunge bands like nirvana and awful hip-hop garbage such as Tag Team and House of Pain, and everyone was running around in baggy blue jeans with holes in the knees, flannel plaid shirts and Doc Martins.

Then the mid-90's (94-96) came along and grunge started to fade away when Kurt Cobain died making room for numerous short-lived me toos. It was ultimately replaced by gangsta rap, which was really quite powerful actually had enough shock value to be counter-culture at the time (Yes, rap was a counter-culture scene at one point in time). Everyone started watching shows that everyone's parents feared and wanted to eradicate, such as Power Rangers and  Beavis & Butthead like they were religion. The OJ Simpson fiasco was all over the news, and it got to the point of being really annoying, and the big fashion trends were Air Jordans, No Fear T-Shirts and Baggy blue jeans worn around the knees or low enough to expose the wearer's underpants. And I can remember the girls wearing knee-high tights with REALLY short skirts

I find that the end of the 90's (1999) was really distinct from the rest of the decade. Lots of novelty pop and still plenty of girly pop was circulating, People were dressing really preppy in their Kahkis and Gap t-shirts, indicating that the 90's grunge and gangsta rap roots were long gone. poser rock was starting to catch on, and eventually people must have got sick of the awful teeny bopper music that cluttered up throughout the year, for the even more awful nu-metal music hit the scene. Rap and Hip hop were starting to make a come back, but were completely mainstream. The big media circus of the year was the Columbine shooting, which a couple of kids who were picked on non-stop by rich highschool jocks shot up their school.  People ended up blaming computer games, marilyn manson and goth subculture on the incident.

And onto the 2000's
The 94-96 period rock music was still on top. Live, Green Day, STP,Collective Soul. and Soul Asylum were still hot in 1995 and even some into 1996. The Alternative Scence started to fade somewhere in 96.

97-98 were all about Hip/Hop R&B You had Hip-Hop/R&B acts  like Dru Hill, Usher, Next, Montell Jordan, Will Smith, Mase, and Puff Daddy who were dominating the charts. Christmas Time of 1998 was when Teen-pop blew up when Britney Spears came out.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/30/05 at 5:52 pm

I agree is the music early 90's music I some i remember but mid to late 90's now I remember music all the 90's is the music and memories I remember hearing when the 90's began was hammer's can't touch this

Written By: TarzSp on 10/30/05 at 6:43 pm

It's because you were already an Adult by the time the Mid 90's came around. Of course you found it annoying

As for me and tons of other people who actually loved the Mid/Late 90's, we were only Kids/Young Teens at the time and it was part of our childhood

I'll be 19 next month and I absolutely Hate the Music today, but I am aware that the 9 year olds and 12 year olds probably love it and years from now they will hate music from say...2010.  It's all about your childhood

Written By: jlp937 on 10/31/05 at 12:08 am

Okay this is on a personal note for me.  I remember 1990-1995.  That is when I dated and was in love with the guy who I thought I would be with forever.  Certain songs and movies I hear totally take me straight back to that time.  And you are right, the rest of the decade pretty much sucked!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/31/05 at 12:35 am

i remember great women singers and SONGWRITERS!!! <REMEMBER THAT?"  Tori Amos, Lilith Fair, Poe, The Breeders, Luscious Jackson and great Bands.. For a bit at least..I remember Kurt Cobain :\'(, The Simpson Trial.....and the most disturbing thing to me...... REALITY TV, Boy Bands  and BRITNEY SPEARS! :\'( >:( :\'( >:(!!! THANK GOSH its over, but I did love the alt music ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Carl on 10/31/05 at 1:21 pm

I remember a lot of heartaches, both with my ex-girlfriend and girls I really liked a lot but could never be with!  :\'(

Written By: TarzSp on 10/31/05 at 1:47 pm

I know that feeling. I knew this girl from when I was 6 all the way untill I was 13. All I ever heard from my friends was how much of a Crush she had on me.  She was extremely cute and sweet, I always had a crush on her too, but I never had the guts to ever tell her that I liked her or even to ask her out.  I always got extremely nervous around her

The last time I ever saw her was back in 1999, because she ended up moving away.  To this day I regret never telling her that I also liked her and I regret never asking her out

If I were to ever see her again today, the first thing I would say to her is "Will you marry me?". I love her THAT much

Sometimes I sit at home depressed thinking about her  :-[

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/05 at 6:42 am

It's because you were already an Adult by the time the Mid 90's came around. Of course you found it annoying

As for me and tons of other people who actually loved the Mid/Late 90's, we were only Kids/Young Teens at the time and it was part of our childhood

I'll be 19 next month and I absolutely Hate the Music today, but I am aware that the 9 year olds and 12 year olds probably love it and years from now they will hate music from say...2010.  It's all about your childhood

I have to agree.

First off, I know we've all talked about this countless times on here (what's one more time gonna do!), so I don't mean to beat a dead horse. But -- is it just me, or does it truly seem like people think "Today's pop culture is so annoying! I wish I could go back to when I was an 8 year old kid, it was so much better then!" FAR FAR earlier now than they tended to in the past?

I'm not ragging on anyone who'se ever said that because lord knows I have. In fact, I was probably ahead of my time! (As a 15 year old in 1996/97 who said the same thing about the 80's and his own early childhood) ;)

However, it seems like the common teenagers, 20-somethings, (and even many people in their 30's and 40's as well) all liked what was current in the 80's. And in the 90's to an extent too. Much more than people like current things today.

I think it's far more common for a 20-year old in 2005 to say they find current music and fashions annoying. In other words, how many 20 year olds in 1985 said they wished they could go back to the early 70's because they found MTV and synthpop annoying? How many 20 year olds in 1995 were saying they hated all these annoying Sega games and Alt-rock that "little kids" were into?

I'm sure there were a few. From what I've seen, many less though.

Roughly fifty years after the inception of the youth culture, are we running out of exciting and cool new things? So much to where people look towards what they're leaving rather than what lay ahead at far earlier ages.

As a result, are people becoming "uncool" in a pop culture sense earlier than they used to?

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/02/05 at 4:54 pm

another one I rmember mostly in the 90's was the newsmakers and shows the had like new york undercover (it was on fox) also I got to tell you a story it was during the mid 90's 94-95 years I got transferd to a new school in the same city and we had this job placement program and i was working in olvie gardern to do wrap silverware and this song now I ly me down to sleep played over and over again I ingored it and I had a few crushes along the way

Check for new replies or respond here...