inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why 1990 and 1991 were more like the 80's

Written By: 90s boy on 06/16/05 at 3:54 am

well in the early 90's still had alot of stuff from the 80's including big hair and scary fashion lol and most music at that time still sounded 80's too

Subject: Re: Why 1990 and 1991 were more like the 80's

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 06/16/05 at 11:23 am

Sorta but not really dude. Big hair was definatly out & all the hair metal bands were dying out or changing their image & possibly even sound. I remember in 1991 everyone had undercut hairstyles at my school, definatly a 90s hairstyle. Man if you showed up with big hair at my school back then you'd probaly never have lived it down. Also 90s fasion was in full bloom already, scary fashion my ass. Yeah scary at the time because it was all new & unfamiliar, but it couldn't possibly compare to how lame fashion is now. Believe me i remember very well because i was already in my teens & going io highschool by that time. Don't wanna sound patronising but i've been reading all the posts & most of you kids are way too young to remember the early 90s accuratly & a lot of you have no idea what you're talking about. One of the biggest 90s definining moments is Nirvana's Nevermind album coming out in 1991 & i remember seeing the filmclip to Smells Like Teen Spirit every Saturday & Sunday morning on TV when i was in highschool. Last of all Simpsons premiered for the first time in (1991 in Australia, earlier in the States) & that's a 90s defining moment in TV. 1990 possibly still had a bit of a vague 80s feel & i remember people at my school (including me) were still wearing tight jeans & listening to bands like Motley Crue & Skid Row but that stuff was actually on it's way out at the time. Most of the other stuff that was still around from the 80s still in the early 90s was usually reruns & that doesn't count. Having grown up in the 80s i say it's the other way around the late 80s was already starting to have an early 90s feel to it. I've read posts where some of you have said that you think 1997 onwards already felt the 00s & i agree with that, but if that is the case then if you think about it what i'm saying about the early 90s is accurate & 90s boy's comment isn't 100% on the mark. That comment sounds typical of what someone younger possibly born in the mid to late 80s would say. Here's a perfect  example of the point i'm trying to make cartoons like Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles which originally started in the 80s actually really felt more like a 90s cartoon. He-Man, She-Ra & Transformers now they felt like 80s cartoons. As for music some of you would have been way to young to have any real musical knowledge. Bottom line is the early 90s was the real 90s when everything that defined that era happened. Everything after that & especially after 94 was the beginning of the sh*t & ultra boring 00s.

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 06/16/05 at 12:04 pm

Also Sound Garden's Bad Motor Finger came out in late 1990 or about 1991 & Jane's Addiction's Ritual De Lo Habitual came out in 1990 & they sound way more like 90s & nothing like 80s albums. Anyway here's an example of someone who has no idea what the hell they are talking about. This is "suposedly" meant to be the top ten best & most defining songs of the 80s, i laughed my ass off when i read this:
10. Wash Away Those Years by Creed

9. My Own Prison by Creed

8. Crawling by Linkin Park

7. When I Grow Up by Garbage

6. Mindfields by Prodigy

5. Ashes to Ashes by Faith No More

4. Turn The Page by Metallica

3. No Leaf CLover by Metallica

2. She Says by Collective Soul

1. Faceless Man by Creed

Let me guess they were born in 1987 or later? I hate to burst that person's bubble but Metallica's most 90s defining album was The Black Album which was slower more melodic totally different from their 80s stuff which was "purely" fast & furious metal. It was a huge shift in direction for them in direction musicly & it sounded "nothing" like an 80s metal album. Which by the way came out in "1991". I actually remember thinking it was sh*t when it first came out & it was a massive disappointment for most metal fans, but it did well with mainstream audiences. Before that album most people had little or no exposure to Metallica. This person obviously only bacame culturaly & musically aware in the late 90s, or not, Linkin Park? LOL, Creed? LOL, Prodigy? LOL, what the?

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 06/16/05 at 6:03 pm

well in the early 90's still had alot of stuff from the 80's including big hair and scary fashion lol and most music at that time still sounded 80's too

I totally disagree.  I graduated high school in 1990, and I felt a sea change music-wise.  The dance music became faster and more "house-y," (C & C Music Factory, Black Box) whereas the big dance hits in the late 80's were more freestyle (Noel, Cover Girls).  Rap changed from DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince to 2 Live Crew and NWA.  Hair bands and new wave were definitely dying down, and I feel rock almost died until Nirvana appeared on the scene.  I got into classic rock a lot back then because I couldn't stand all that fast dance music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/05 at 6:18 pm

I'm mixed on the issue.

I think if you were to say Grunge came in and hair metal went out in late 1991/early '92 I'd agree. But the entire shift from 80's to 90's music was like 1987-92 and even there were a few 80's-inspired cheesy (in a good way!) songs as late as 1994/95.

I will say that it seems synthesizers in music were getting less popular around '86. I agree some "90's" bands were getting big in 1989/90, but I don't think they became the mainstream until '92.

The movies and TV shows, I believe, have "lingering effects" into the new decade the most, which was reflected in Growing Pains, Full House, Married with Children and the like (well, those shows DID start in the 80's).

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 06/18/05 at 10:47 am

Ok so 'most' of us are in general agreement on the issue. Good to see i'm not alone & that i'm not the oldest person on here.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/18/05 at 2:35 pm

IMO, the biggest change in the UK regarding dance music and how it was percieved came in 1988 - the so called 'Second summer of love'. The dance stuff as we know it started to creep in around the end of 1989/1990 when Black Box, S-Express, Adamski, Rebel MC, A guy called Gerald and Beats International arrived (albeit mainly for an incredible short time most of them). Interestingly enough when S/A/W were losing their grip on chart success due to their internal politics. Combine this with the 'Madchester' scene with the likes of The Farm, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses and The Charlatans and you can see how British chart music has been influenced in such a big way by this.

Written By: Albert on 06/19/05 at 6:26 am

I both agree and disagree with people posting here. True, I was born in 1985, but I do have a lot of memories of the early-90s -- believe me, I have extraordinary memory abilities -- and I'm not ignorant on the decade of the 80's -- for instance, included in my music collection is music from the 80's, and I've seen many movies from the 80's. I feel that the early-90's were a mixed time in that although there were things that aren't associated with the 80's and weren't present in, say, 1986 or '87, at the same time I disagree with a lot of people in this board in that there certainly was definite 80's carryover into the early-90's as well. To rebut what someone said against big hair in the early-90's, my sister's 1992 high school yearbook has photos of plenty of big-haired students, but at the same time not-big hair on other students. I just saw a photo taken of her when she was in high school -- from late-'89 to '93 -- and in it she's wearing wide suspenders -- one red and one blue -- and a long open coffee-colored coat with black stripes forming small squares. If that's not "80's" as it's said, then what is? Another solid indicator is the show "Saved by the Bell" -- originally aired from late-'89 to mid-'93. Just see all the neon clothes in that show, and for goodness sake, their afternoon hangout place was a diner called "The Max" (and just see how the place looks!)! Some musical examples...Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" was a #3 (U.S) hit in early-'93, and The B-52's "Love Shack" was a #3 (U.S.) hit in late-'89. Guns 'N' Roses certainly aren't un-"80's" and had several hits in the early-90's. (Contrary to what some believe, Nirvana didn't end Guns N' Roses' popularity...I'm looking at my Billboard book right now and Guns N' Roses "November Rain" peaked at #3 (U.S.) in '92 a little over 7 months after "Smells Like Teen Spirit" peaked at #6 (U.S.).) More than all this for me, it's my memories of the time...I remember the "80's" feel was still present (although along with another feel, too, since it was a mixed time -- sounds really wierd, I know, but that's honestly how I remember it). I remember watching movies that had been released in the 80's that weren't yet dated. As far as memories go, too much to mention. I'll reiterate, though -- it was a mixed time, so also very many un-"80's" things were there too. Disagree with me as much as you want to if that's how you feel, but I'm sticking to my guns.

Written By: Albert on 06/19/05 at 6:51 am

Correcting a mistake I made from my last post: my sister was the class of '94 from high school, so she was in high school from late-'90 to mid-'94.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 06/19/05 at 5:10 pm

Good to see i'm not alone & that i'm not the oldest person on here.  :)

<Gulp> No...I think I'm the oldest person on this thread  :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/19/05 at 6:55 pm

<Gulp> No...I think I'm the oldest person on this thread :o

Hehe, don't worry guys, age is just numbers (when I was a kid, many of my friends were adults, and today I still get along with older folks really good). Plus, anyone who was an 80's teen is cool in my book. :)

Anyway, in thinking about it, different parts of the 80's ended at different times. If I had to pick one year for the switch-off, probably '92, but there were a few faint influences hanging around as late as 1994/95.

By each category, IMO:

Music - 1982-91 (1979-81 is on the fence between 70's and 80's - in '92 grunge and rap--unfortunately--erased most of it)

Movies - 1984-94 (The heart of it was the John Hughes era! 8) Some "silly 80's-esque" comedies were still around as late as '94 though)

TV Shows - 1983-95 (Partly shows from the 80's that continued into the 90's)

Technology 1979-1996 (Much wider span here - by '97 the Internet was becoming household, and CD's were starting to make tapes decline in popularity).

Fashion - 1981-92 (This probably started first - as early as '81 people seemed to be wearing 80's-like clothes such as leg warmers! The Disco-type clothes were like 99% gone by late '80 from what I can tell. By late 92/early 93, the grunge look was in all the way, and you couldn't wear anything even from 1989!)

Overall - 1983-90 (1982 and 1991/92 were borderline either way with the 70's and 90's respectively).

Written By: James C on 02/10/09 at 7:12 pm

I agree with what the majority says on here. The 90s did truly start in September of 1991 from a cultural/musical/stylistic standpoint. However, I see 1989 to August of 1991 as more of a precursor into the 90s. I can even say that 1987 was even started the shift into the 90s. You can see this by the events of that year: stock market crashing, tele evangelist scandals, alt rock and hip hop gaining, popularity and even the movies were getting darker like Wall Street and Fatal Attraction. By the time you get to 1989, new wave was dead and the whole spirit of the 80s were starting to fade. It was almost like the 80s were becoming a thing of the past by then. Television shows started to change with the likes of Roseanne, Married with Children and COPS becoming popular and 80s shows like the Cosby Show, Growing Pains, Who's the Boss and Family Ties on their way out or ending. Fashion and styles were still 80s with neon clothes, acid washed jeans, mullets still popular. 1990 was still a watered down version of 1989 with the fashions from the previous decade still being in and movies still very 80s like with a few exceptions. However, there were some progressions into the 90s with rap getting more popular even though it was still very cheesy like M.C. Hammer, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince and LL Cool J. CDs took over casettes by this point, call waiting, etc..1991 continued this trend but things were changing. By the summer of 1991, NWA, Metalica, and eventually Nirvana had become No 1 CDs. Fashions were becoming more grunge like and the age of the 80s were officially dead by Sept 91. No more hair bands, computers and the internet were on the rise, movies were some edgier and everything you knew about the 80s were gone.

Written By: tv on 02/11/09 at 12:40 pm

Hehe, don't worry guys, age is just numbers (when I was a kid, many of my friends were adults, and today I still get along with older folks really good). Plus, anyone who was an 80's teen is cool in my book. :)

Anyway, in thinking about it, different parts of the 80's ended at different times. If I had to pick one year for the switch-off, probably '92, but there were a few faint influences hanging around as late as 1994/95.

Movies - 1984-94 (The heart of it was the John Hughes era! 8) Some "silly 80's-esque" comedies were still around as late as '94 though)

TV Shows - 1983-95 (Partly shows from the 80's that continued into the 90's)

Technology 1979-1996 (Much wider span here - by '97 the Internet was becoming household, and CD's were starting to make tapes decline in popularity).

Overall - 1983-90 (1982 and 1991/92 were borderline either way with the 70's and 90's respectively).

Yeah the TV shows from the 80's till mid mid 90's were still family oriented where the whole family could gather around the TV and watch no matter what age you were.

I thought movies started to have a change in them around 1997. Wasn't there alot movies from 1991-1996 that dealed with inner city crime or inner city life for that matter like "New Jack City", "Boyz In The Hood", or "Dangerous Minds"?

Check for new replies or respond here...