inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone seen "Now and Then?"

Written By: eightieschick53 on 06/16/05 at 12:49 pm

This was my favorite movie when I was about 12 or 13. It starred Rosie O'Donnell (as Roberta), Melanie Griffith (as Tina aka "Teeny"), Demi Moore (as Samantha), Rita Wilson (as Chrissie), Christina Ricci (as young Roberta), Thora Birch (as young Teeny), Gaby Hoffman (as young Samantha) and Ashleigh Ashton Moore (as young Chrissie). It is about 4 young girls who make a pact to always be there for each other, no matter what. Flash forward 25 years later, when Chrissie is pregnant and asks the other 3 women come back to help her with the delivery. They then reminisce about the summer of 1970 when they were 12 years old and the mystery of a little boy called "Dear Johnny" who was murdered. It was a fun movie and it had a great soundtrack  :)  ;). I just want to know what everyone thinks of it.

Subject: Re: Anyone seen "Now and Then?"

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 06/16/05 at 2:04 pm

Yeah i remember it :-[. I used to think Christina Ricci was hot, that's probably the only reason i remember it :-[.  If i remember correctly she did that movie not long after Casper & i would have been 16 or 17 years old at the time.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/16/05 at 3:46 pm

Yeah, this is a good film. I like films that deal with reminiscing about the past or coming to terms with your past.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/16/05 at 3:48 pm

This was my favorite movie when I was about 12 or 13. It starred Rosie O'Donnell (as Roberta), Melanie Griffith (as Tina aka "Teeny"), Demi Moore (as Samantha), Rita Wilson (as Chrissie), Christina Ricci (as young Roberta), Thora Birch (as young Teeny), Gaby Hoffman (as young Samantha) and Ashleigh Ashton Moore (as young Chrissie). It is about 4 young girls who make a pact to always be there for each other, no matter what. Flash forward 25 years later, when Chrissie is pregnant and asks the other 3 women come back to help her with the delivery. They then reminisce about the summer of 1970 when they were 12 years old and the mystery of a little boy called "Dear Johnny" who was murdered. It was a fun movie and it had a great soundtrack  :)  ;). I just want to know what everyone thinks of it.

I absolutely LOVE that movie. I've seen it countless times. I've always thought it would be so cool to have friends like that. I'm not so sure if I liked who they casted as the girls grown up, though.....but yeah, great movie.

~Beth

Written By: Carrie on 06/16/05 at 3:59 pm

It is a really fun movie. I have seen it a bunch too. And I agree, the soundtrack is great.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/16/05 at 4:01 pm

It is a really fun movie. I have seen it a bunch too. And I agree, the soundtrack is great.

I didn't even know that there was a soundtrack. I'll have to check it out, there's some really great music on that movie.

~Beth

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 2:24 am

This was a great movie...I saw it for the first time a few months ago.  I love movies that take place back in the day. It makes me feel all warm inside. :)

Written By: gemini on 01/04/08 at 7:45 am

Great movie! I love it. I've watched it a bunch of times. We have it on VHS. Should get it on DVD since we don't have a VCR anymore.

Written By: KKay on 01/04/08 at 10:58 am

I thought the young versions looked just like the older women..
it was a pretty good film; i'm in agreement that the soundtrack rocks.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/04/08 at 7:14 pm

I think this movie is terrific, and so was the soundtrack. I especially liked how the young and grown-up women were cast.

Written By: musicgirl on 02/13/08 at 8:10 pm

Love it.

Written By: Asherahh on 04/06/08 at 1:28 am

Oh, I loved Now and Then so much when I was younger.  This was my favorite movie growing up, and I hope to share it with my daughter someday (I'm pregnant!). 

Written By: gibbo on 04/06/08 at 1:29 am

Oh, I loved Now and Then so much when I was younger.  This was my favorite movie growing up, and I hope to share it with my daughter someday (I'm pregnant!). 

Congrats.......

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/07/08 at 6:08 pm

I love that movie too. Not too long after I saw it, I had my father build me a play house. (It was supposed to be a tree house like the gitls had, but I'm scared of heights.)  ;D

I guess I just love anything that's a good family movie. I've seen it tons of times and cry eveytime Christina Ricci's character finds out about how her mother died. Man.  :(

Written By: ralfy on 11/18/15 at 11:55 am

"Now and Then writer Marlene King remembers 'flawless' film 20 years later"

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/20/now-then-20th-anniversary-marlene-king

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/21/15 at 1:54 am

I was so heartbroken when I found that Ashleigh Ashton Moore died of a drug overdose a few years ago. Young Chrissie was my favorite character in the movie.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...