inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: favorite megadeth song

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 1:59 pm

hangar 18

Subject: Re: favorite megadeth song

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/27/05 at 5:24 pm

Definitely 'Holy Wars'. Rust in Peace is the band's best album. I seen them when they toured for that album. GREAT show!

Written By: jiminy on 06/27/05 at 6:07 pm

angry again but i'll vote peace sells

Written By: Powerslave on 06/27/05 at 7:13 pm

"Holy Wars..."

"Symphony of Destruction" is pretty catchy also!!

Written By: TC1970 on 06/29/05 at 6:12 am

"Holy Wars..."

"Symphony of Destruction" is pretty catchy also!!

No doubt!

I voted for Hangar 18

Written By: STAR70 on 07/03/05 at 6:14 pm

99 ways to die

Written By: MetalMachines66Crush on 07/06/05 at 9:42 am

Well this is definatly one of the toughest ever questions for me to answer & even after quite a bit of thought i'm still undecided. I usually listen to the whole albums as a full bodies of work & i couldn't pick just one song. I like different songs & different albums for different reasons. I'd have to say though that Rust In Peace is definatly my favourite album, very technical & full throttle all the way. Off that album though i do love Holy Wars, Hangar 18 & Rust In Peace Polaris. One song that always sticks out for me on the Peace Sells album is Good Mourning/Black Friday. Best stuff was easily from Killing Is My Business to Rust In Peace though. Best song on the latest album is Blackmail The Universe, closest thing they've done to their old stuff in a really long time. My girlfriend thinks the best one is The Scorpion, pffft what does she know, damn newbies. ::)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/06/05 at 9:47 pm

A song most people seem to overlook is their song 'Dawn Patrol'. The bass line in this song is absolutely brilliant!!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 10:59 pm

From those tracks i'd go with Holy Wars, but my personal favourite is Symphony of Destruction.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/05 at 1:47 pm

Out of the ones listed I'll go with "Peace Sells".

I'm not a hardcore metalhead by any means, but I've always been a pretty big fan of latter-day Megadeth. Namely the Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia albums, from 1992 and 94 respectively.

The first 5 songs on Youthanasia are gold! :)

"Reckoning Day" is a killer dark metal anthem, as is the groover "Addicted to Chaos". The closest thing to a hit was "Train of Consequences" - sounds like their variation of pop/rock, but don't let that fool you, it's still heavy. "A Tout Le Monde" proves they can do ballads (yes, ballads!) well too - great mix of gloomy and pop elements. "Elysian Fields" is the most anthemic song I've heard from them.

Written By: jiminy on 07/08/05 at 12:10 pm

First we have to give a big thank you to Metallica for firing Dave Mustaine so he could go on and form the much better band Megadeth, some early Metallica albums might be better but since 1990 onward there is no contest, Megadeth plays the better music. I like the CD they did of cover songs, they re-did some old metal songs and they sounded unique, they all had a Megadeth feel to them, No More Mr.Nice Guy - Alice Cooper and Paranoid - Black Sabbath were both good.
I'll list a few other of their songs not on the list I think are good:

Trust
Symphony of Destruction
Angry Again
Wake Up Dead
Devil's Island

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/08/05 at 2:48 pm

No More Mr.Nice Guy - Alice Cooper and Paranoid - Black Sabbath were both good.

The Paranoid cover was outstanding.

I'm sorry but, Hammett vs Mustaine.. HA!

(We'll leave it at that.. post 1993 has been.. touch and go  ;))

Written By: jiminy on 07/08/05 at 2:59 pm

The Paranoid cover was outstanding.

I'm sorry but, Hammett vs Mustaine.. HA!

(We'll leave it at that.. post 1993 has been.. touch and go  ;))

Mustaine can sing ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/08/05 at 3:14 pm

^ Yeah. I like some of Metallica's individual songs better, but overall Megadeth is a much better band.

Dave's lyrics are almost always thought-provoking too. He can sing as well as scream - overall he's got a better voice than Hetfield, IMO.

Written By: MetalMachines66Crush on 07/10/05 at 1:53 pm

Mustaine is way more technical & Hammett doesn't even compete & that's not a matter of taste or perception, it's a matter of fact, period. Sorry but i'm sick of hearing about & people raving about Metallica considering they haven't done anything worth listening to since the early or mid 80s.  Frankly the only album i really liked whole heartedly was Kill Em All, it was some decent thrash & it had that thinner thrashy guitar sound that almost disappeared after that album. I remember from 91 to 95 they were in every metal magazine which pissed me off because in that period all they did was keep rereleasing old stuff like And Justice with the bonus One single & Binge & Purge. The only new thing they did was in the beginning of that period which was the black album in 91 & that was crap. A highly overrated band & there are so many better metal bands out there that are highly overlooked. Besides Mustaine wrote material & riffs on Kill Em All & Ride the Lightning, it's pretty obvious where the talent is at. Metallica chose to betray loyal & long time fans by trying sacrificing style & integrety in favour of popularity to broaden there audience & who wants popularity anyway, i mean Micheal Jackson is popular & he likes little boys. As for the Napster thing, that was a total joke. Last but not least there was that Some Kind Of Monster documentary that just confirmed how sad & pathetic they had become. Maybe they should live by some of their old lyrics "Living on your knees conformity, dying on you feet for honesty"  Whenever i hear a Mtallica song these days i cringe, sad but true (pun intended).

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/10/05 at 1:58 pm

Mustaine is way more technical & Hammett doesn't even compete & that's not a matter of taste or perception, it's a matter of fact, period. Sorry but i'm sick of hearing about & people raving about Metallica considering they haven't done anything worth listening to since the early or mid 80s.  Frankly the only album i really liked whole heartedly was Kill Em All, it was some decent thrash & it had that thinner thrashy guitar sound that almost disappeared after that album. I remember from 91 to 95 they were in every metal magazine which ticked me off because in that period all they did was keep rereleasing old stuff like And Justice with the bonus One single & Binge & Purge. The only new thing they did was in the beginning of that period which was the black album in 91 & that was crap. A highly overrated band & there are so many better metal bands out there that are highly overlooked. Besides Mustaine wrote material & riffs on Kill Em All & Ride the Lightning, it's pretty obvious where the talent is at. Metallica chose to betray loyal & long time fans by trying sacrificing style & integrety in favour of popularity to broaden there audience & who wants popularity anyway, i mean Micheal Jackson is popular & he likes little boys. As for the Napster thing, that was a total joke. Last but not least there was that Some Kind Of Monster documentary that just confirmed how sad & pathetic they had become. Maybe they should live by some of their old lyrics "Living on your knees conformity, dying on you feet for honesty"  Whenever i hear a Mtallica song these days i cringe, sad but true (pun intended).

;D I love the Michael Jackson analogy.. Popularity = Phedophilia.. sure thing buddy.

I'm not gonna disagree wholeheartedly and say that they have released a good album in a while.. they haven't. there are much better metal bands.. becuase 'tallica really aren't metal any more. But to the main point of argument.. I prefer Hammett. You may prefer Mustaine, i have never liked him, i don't like Kill em All. He's.. ok in my opinion, just like i prefered newstead to Burton.

Written By: MetalMachines66Crush on 07/10/05 at 2:21 pm

;D I love the Michael Jackson analogy.. Popularity = Phedophilia.. sure thing buddy.

It's not an analogy it was a joke Einstein. Do you even play an instrument? This is not all just about preference. Like i said it's not a matter of taste or perception it's a matter of fact. He's a far better musician period, if you knew anything about music & how it's written & structured you'd know that. By the way Newstead is a knob & yet again another inferior choice of an inferior musician that you "prefer" over someone more talented. Burton all the way, he was the only member of that band i even liked as a person aswell(from what i knew about him). But hey man if you wanna like what you like i couldn't care less that's your right, but before make comments about one musician being better than another it pays to educate yourself on music itself, maybe pick up a guitar & start learning, good luck!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/10/05 at 2:26 pm

It's not an analogy it was a joke Einstein. Do you even play an instrument? This is not all just about preference. Like i said it's not a matter of taste or perception it's a matter of fact. He's a far better musician period, if you knew anything about music & how it's written & structured you'd know that. By the way Newstead is a knob & yet again another inferior choice of an inferior musician that you "prefer" over someone more talented. Burton all the way, he was the only member of that band i even liked as a person aswell(from what i knew about him). But hey man if you wanna like what you like i couldn't care less that's your right, but before make comments about one musician being better than another it pays to educate yourself on music itself, maybe pick up a guitar & start learning, good luck!

Well thanks, not only have i been playing music since i was 4 years old (started off with Brass) but my Father is a musician by profession, he's taught me about music since i was only a small child. I currently play an ESP JH- 600.

By the by.. thanks for the 'good luck'.

Written By: MetalMachines66Crush on 07/10/05 at 2:50 pm

OK that's good to hear. Sorry but people still idolising & aspiring to Metallica annoys the living sh!t out of me cause like i said, they are overrated. I take my music & metal very seriously. Like you i've been playing since was very young. I've found 99% of the time the comments you made are usually by those who treat metal like a trend thing rather than someone who would be a veteran of the "scene" (i hate that word). You know the kind of people that call bands like Korn metal & think it's great music. I find those bands laughable & if they worried more about their music than they did about their image then maybe they wouldn't suck so bad. Metal is not a fashion it's a way of life. Although i have no way of knowing that you've been playing since you were 4, if that is the case then i am wrong in asuming your preference is based on ridiculous reasons. 

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/10/05 at 2:56 pm

OK that's good to hear. Sorry but people still idolising & aspiring to Metallica annoys the living sh!t out of me cause like i said, they are overrated. I take my music & metal very seriously. Like you i've been playing since was very young. I've found 99% of the time the comments you made are usually by those who treat metal like a trend thing rather than someone who would be a veteran of the "scene" (i hate that word). You know the kind of people that call bands like Korn metal & think it's great music. I find those bands laughable & if they worried more about their music than they did about their image then maybe they wouldn't suck so bad. Metal is not a fashion it's a way of life. Although i have no way of knowing that you've been playing since you were 4, if that is the case then i am wrong in asuming your preference is based on ridiculous reasons. 

I've only been playing the guitar 2 years now, but played Brass before that as i said. I agree, posers annoy the hell out of me as well, but i try not to be insular, i like what i like, other people like what they like. You say you hate when people say Korn is metal.. your right, Korn is in no way shape or form metal.. dosen't mean you can't like it though.

I live metal, i can be anywhere doing anything but in my head i'll be hearing screaming riffs, it's a passion, like fuel for a fire.

The argument i have with Metallica is that they went out and changed the style to make money, plain and simple.. but when you think about it.. don't we all want money?

I loved Master of Puppets, Love the Black Album etc....

St Anger was awful, Reload was awful, i could stoumach load but it wasn't exactly great. I don't know what my problem is with Kill em all, i wont say it's bad, it's just i prefer other stuff.

Written By: MetalMachines66Crush on 07/10/05 at 3:33 pm

Point taken. I like your Slayer quote at the bottom. Now there's a band that kept a very similar formula for about 20 years. Even the new album was pretty listenable, it's not their old stuff but it's still Slayer. Only thing that disappointed me was that i heard Kerry King was listening to Mudvaine at the time & you can almost hear that in some of the riffs. Mudvaine is another of the new breed of bands i dislike. I think i just dislike the new breed of bands altogether. As for my Korn comment i made, i know it's isn't metal but that's not the reason i can't bring myself to respect them or their music. I like some music of other styles just not those kind of bands. I think the lyrics are jouvenile to say the least & i won't even go into the actual music itself. I'll admit i am insular to an extent but i think it's a good to stand one's ground & object to certain things. I mean why conform just because the times & trends in music dictates that. I prefere things that are timeless & that will be remebered long after all the "so called" cutting edge & revolutionary bands are long gone & forgotten.   

Written By: MetalMachines66Crush on 07/10/05 at 3:47 pm

Reign In Blood now there's a timeless album, still brutal to this very day & done better than possibly anything else that's being done now in metal. Anyway i'm getting off the topic now

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/10/05 at 9:05 pm

Good post. But I dont see why you discount the Black album. They broadened their horizons and showed you that they were capable of anything, similar to what GNR did with Use Your Illusion. But I agree with you about everything post Black album. Metallica truly stained their legacy, and they are too far gone to redeem themselves.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/10/05 at 9:38 pm

Reign In Blood now there's a timeless album, still brutal to this very day & done better than possibly anything else that's being done now in metal. Anyway i'm getting off the topic now

Agreed.

To be honest i like 'God Hates Us All' more than a lot of there stuff. It's real fast pounding Metal and i enjoy that.

You talk about Reign In Blood, for me 'Angel of Death' is it! To this date, nothing has surpassed it in terms of sheer unadulterated pure metal.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/11/05 at 8:37 pm

Slayer's 'Seasons In The Abyss' is one of the greatest metal records ever made.Period. I'm still shocked that it never makes it on to any of those 'Greatest Albums' lists.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/12/05 at 7:40 am

Mustaine can sing ;)

You call what Mustaine does "singing"? I agree that Megadeth was technically superior to every other American thrash band of the 80s*, but vocally they were horrible. Only Slayer and Exodus were worse.

*Except probably Testament.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/12/05 at 7:43 am

None of them. You should've added "other" option or added "No Mr Nice Guy" to the list. I'm really disappointed and angry that you didn't >:(

"No More Mr Nice Guy" is an Alice Cooper cover, and not really a very good one either. I wouldn't have included it either.

Written By: jiminy on 07/12/05 at 4:48 pm

You call what Mustaine does "singing"? I agree that Megadeth was technically superior to every other American thrash band of the 80s*, but vocally they were horrible. Only Slayer and Exodus were worse.

*Except probably Testament.

I meant Hammett is only a guitar player and Dave plays and sings, I still like his voice, I listen to a lot of death and black metal bands and most people think of this singing as noise, I like the singing styles of Jeff Walker (Carcass), Shagrath (Dimmu Borgir), Matt Barlow (Iced Earth) and many other bands

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/12/05 at 5:01 pm

I meant Hammett is only a guitar player and Dave plays and sings, I still like his voice, I listen to a lot of death and black metal bands and most people think of this singing as noise, I like the singing styles of Jeff Walker (Carcass), Shagrath (Dimmu Borgir), Matt Barlow (Iced Earth) and many other bands

What do you think of Trevor Strnad from the Black Dahlia Murder?

Written By: jiminy on 07/12/05 at 5:26 pm

What do you think of Trevor Strnad from the Black Dahlia Murder?

I didn't know his name but I've liked what i've heard from them, I would like to see them open for Arch Enemy

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/12/05 at 5:28 pm

I didn't know his name but I've liked what i've heard from them, I would like to see them open for Arch Enemy

Similar styles.

I saw them about 7 weeks ago and was REALLY impressed. The hilarious thing is they look like real nerds and then come out with real hardcore sh1t!

They're doing a bunch of the Ozzfest dates.

Written By: jiminy on 07/12/05 at 5:44 pm

Similar styles.

I saw them about 7 weeks ago and was REALLY impressed. The hilarious thing is they look like real nerds and then come out with real hardcore sh1t!

They're doing a bunch of the Ozzfest dates.

I heard people compare them to Carcass and Arch Enemy's guitarist is ex-carcass but Arch Enemy sound nothing like Carcass... I have see photos of them in metal mags, I wanted to see last years Ozzfest just for Dimmu Borgir but they had Slayer too... it was probably the best Ozzfest lineup ever, it's nice to see they are getting away from nu-metal, I read Glen Danzig was supposed to start a festival of black metal bands but I've heard nothing else, I wanted to see Danzig and Marduk but Marduk had visa problems and was dropped so I didn't go, I like Danzig but I was more into Marduk

Written By: STAR70 on 07/16/05 at 4:50 pm

I "met " Dave Mustaine when he appeared at the MTV Rock 'n'Jock baseball game in Long Beach, CA in Jan 1994.
When Dave went up to bat, I was sitting behind home plate and began screamimg "MEGADETH ROXXX!!!!" at the top of my lungs. He turned back at me and gave me a dirty "if looks could kill" stare!!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/16/05 at 4:55 pm

A good mate of mine John met up with Dave Mustaine pretty recently.. you can see the drugs have taken there toll.  ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 02/27/18 at 10:09 am

Peace sells

Check for new replies or respond here...