inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why am I so nostalgic that it makes me sad?

Written By: Jessica1 on 07/15/05 at 3:26 pm

Do you think it's something especially about the early 90's, or does anyone, no matter what decade they grew up in, always have these bitter sweet feelings?

I know I was only a child during the early 90's (i was born in 86), but something about that time still appeals to me. I love everything about it, the music, the clothes, the down-to-earth attitude. Is it me, or does it seem like everyone now-a-days acts like their so smart and have such a sophisticated taste in music and movies. I mean, comedies today arent like they used to be with Waynes World or Billy Madison. Today, comedies have to be dark and edgy, and overly complicated while everyone claims its so brilliant!

Everyone acts like theyre so smart and avant garde, but I just miss that easy-going attitude that it seemed like early 90 rockers had. I mean, I was only a kid in the 90's, so I didn't know many college students, lol, but it seemed like they had personalities similar to people like Dave Ghrol. Down to earth and not so concieted that they cant act silly or dumb.

And the clothes, while I understand that most people wore grunge because it was a trend, I still have this love for it. I mean, I know this sounds kind of strange, but I always have this attraction to guys that wear flannel shirts and look grungy. I don't know why, but I just like those type of guys without even trying. Which, let me tell you, it's kind of hard to find guys like that now-a-days. (And no, this isn't a dating advertisement, lol)

Its just so strange, the way I feel. I have this longing for the apathetic, stoner, easy-going attitude of the early 90's, even though I never truly experienced it. I guess that I could be building the early 90's up in my head, making it something that it probably wasnt. I mean, I'm sure that there were shallow parts of the 90's, just like there are today. And I know it wasnt all similar to the attitude from a Nirvana video. But, I really wish I could live in an environment that has all of the characteristics I've written about. I guess it's similar to how a lot of kids my age wished they lived in the 70's. Even though I did live in the 90's, I wish I could go back and live the years 90-94, but being my current age.

Subject: Re: Why am I so nostalgic that it makes me sad?

Written By: CSM1986 on 07/15/05 at 3:57 pm

I'm the same exact way. I was also Born in 1986 and I just loved the Mid 90's and I always wish that I could just go back in time and relive it all over again.  Everytime I hear a song that I remember from the 90's so well, I go into a Depression almost, it's like, I remember hearing that song when it was brand new and now it's 10 years old and people don't even remember it anymore. I guess it's like they say, "You never know what you have, untill it's gone"

You know, when it was around 1994, 1995, or 1996, most of us probably thought there was nothing special at all about the year and it was just any ordinary year and we took it for granted, but now 10 years later you realize how much you miss it and how popular that year really was for so many reasons

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/15/05 at 5:51 pm

^ I second - or "third" that. Much of that is what I would have said. :)

I was born in late 1981 so I feel almost the same way. I think people are "shaped" by the pop culture they first get into, regardless of what year it's from or how old they were. In my case I heard ALOT of 80's music, thanks to my parents, as a child -- mixed in with alot of Beatles and 60s/70s stuff too.

Same case with movies - in the early 90s, we commonly rented them, and much of my picks were comedies from the late 70s and 80s. Ditto for NES games.

When you're 5, you don't care if something is trendy or cool, you pay attention to one thing--if you like it or not. It's like the purest form of being a fan - that's exactly why it always bugged me when people's only excuse for disliking something (eg: a song) was, "It's old" or "My parents like it" etc. ::)

Overall, I think things we liked from, say before high school (for me, 1996) we miss even more later on, since it's a bygone era in our lives, as well as the world. Also factor in that 1996 to '97 was a HUGE pop culture shift - the last big one we've ever had IMO.

(1996 still felt very "old-school-ish" but 1997 was in many ways an earlier version of today. The Internet, teen pop and South Park made it more "2000s" IMHO. 1995 and 1997 were more different than 1997 and 2005 are.)

The 90s was a real mixed time - I never was a fan at all of the "gangsta/ghetto" culture, but at the same time, I think pieces of the innocent/happy 80's did make their way well into that decade (even if the 80's were very uncool past '92) such as the Wayne's World-esque movies you mentioned. I do get pretty nostalgic whenever I watch Beavis & Butthead.

I wasn't that into the alternative rock movement much when it was new, but I actually have found myself far more fond of it now than I did at the time!). Don't mistake me, in the 90's I did like some of the pop culture, but I spent just as much time missing the 80's. I was probably one of the few 13 year old kids in history who was nostalgic for the time he was 4. ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/15/05 at 6:30 pm

Do you think it's something especially about the early 90's, or does anyone, no matter what decade they grew up in, always have these bitter sweet feelings?

It doesn't matter about the decade, Jessica. It can be a natural feeling from whenever.  :)

I feel the way you do about the 80s (I was born in 1979).

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 07/16/05 at 12:40 pm

I second what Bobby just said.  It has to do with whenever you grew up.  I was born in 1975.  In 1995, people my age were saying the EXACT SAME about the 80s.  We missed our childhood, especially the early and mid 80s.   Hell, check this message board and see for yourself.  Chucky created the board in '95.

Things may get a lot worse in 10 years, and some kid born in 1995 will talk about how he misses the "innocent '00s" compared to the more complicated life of 2015.  In reality, life doesn't necessarily get that much more complicated, but we feel it does.  To me, not a whole lot has changed.  Every group of kids thinks they are the coolest ones that ever existed, and living in the most gritty complicated world there ever was....then a new group of kids comes along and makes what they thought of as cool old and outdated.  Enjoy being under 23 while it's still here for you though.  When you see that kid born in 1995 driving cars and going to college, that is when your reality gets turned upside down.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/05 at 12:52 pm

^ Hey Chris, glad to see you back around - I always enjoyed chatting with you, especially about stuff of this nature! :)

I pretty much do agree with that. It's the same thing in my case, I just "missed my childhood" a bit faster than average, LOL! I never thought of myself as the "coolest generation" etc (in fact, mindsets like that were sometimes why I DIDN'T relate to some of my peers at the time).

However to corroborate what you said about life seeming easier in the past -- I was talking with my parents about this not long ago (they know how I feel on this more than anyone!) and my dad said that no matter what year I was born in, I would always feel attached to the pop culture of my first 10 or 12 years.

I realized how right he probably is. :D

Both my folks like things from the 80's too, but they're not attached to them the way I am. My theory for this is, because they were already adults by then, they only liked things back then for what they were, so it was also easier for them to leave it.

My mom is not as into 80s music today NEARLY as much as in my childhood years.

Does this sound accurate for the most part?

Written By: MagnumPI on 07/19/05 at 8:18 am

ya i wish i had a time machine to go back to 94 95 i remember soo much i just wanna live there at my older age

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/19/05 at 1:14 pm

I'm nostalgic for the times before 9/11. The future didn't seem quite so ominous back then. 

The "good old days" are NOW.

Written By: Saphthannin on 07/30/05 at 12:47 am

Hey I'm new.

Yeah I get totally nostalgic about the 90s (especially the early 90s) also, even though I was born in 1989. I have a great memory, and I remember like everything starting when I was about three. I just loved TV back then, when cartoons were good, and the toys, and the styles, and just even the way things looked!

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/30/05 at 10:26 am

I know I was only a child during the early 90's (i was born in 86), but something about that time still appeals to me. I love everything about it, the music, the clothes, the down-to-earth attitude. Is it me, or does it seem like everyone now-a-days acts like their so smart and have such a sophisticated taste in music and movies. I mean, comedies today arent like they used to be with Waynes World or Billy Madison. Today, comedies have to be dark and edgy, and overly complicated while everyone claims its so brilliant!

Everyone acts like theyre so smart and avant garde, but I just miss that easy-going attitude that it seemed like early 90 rockers had. I mean, I was only a kid in the 90's, so I didn't know many college students, lol, but it seemed like they had personalities similar to people like Dave Ghrol. Down to earth and not so concieted that they cant act silly or dumb.

And the clothes, while I understand that most people wore grunge because it was a trend, I still have this love for it. I mean, I know this sounds kind of strange, but I always have this attraction to guys that wear flannel shirts and look grungy. I don't know why, but I just like those type of guys without even trying. Which, let me tell you, it's kind of hard to find guys like that now-a-days. (And no, this isn't a dating advertisement, lol)

Its just so strange, the way I feel. I have this longing for the apathetic, stoner, easy-going attitude of the early 90's, even though I never truly experienced it. I guess that I could be building the early 90's up in my head, making it something that it probably wasnt. I mean, I'm sure that there were shallow parts of the 90's, just like there are today. And I know it wasnt all similar to the attitude from a Nirvana video. But, I really wish I could live in an environment that has all of the characteristics I've written about. I guess it's similar to how a lot of kids my age wished they lived in the 70's. Even though I did live in the 90's, I wish I could go back and live the years 90-94, but being my current age.
Ya know, Jessica, I'm into the past too. I get sad alot and want to go back in time to certain times. I'm nostalgic too!

Written By: tv on 07/30/05 at 4:41 pm

You know, when it was around 1994, 1995, or 1996, most of us probably thought there was nothing special at all about the year and it was just any ordinary year and we took it for granted, but now 10 years later you realize how much you miss it and how popular that year really was for so many reasons
Yeah me too I listen to songs from the mid 90's and at the time they don't seem like anything special. Than as time goes by like 10 years later your like I remember that song when I was in school. I guess we are noglastic because of how time passes by and things change. Back in 1996 rap music was not as big as it is now. The Alternative Rock era was on its last legs in 1996. Now "true rock music" has been basically left behind by hip-hop. Whatever happened to dance music? The early to mid 90's was huge for club music. I think you realize too that looking back on the mid 90's period you basically remember how carefree things were in just that you went to school and that was it. Now you have to work in the corperate world, have a car and fill it up with gas, and also when you get im your mid 20's you are thinking about someday getting married and having kids.

Written By: chaka on 07/30/05 at 4:53 pm

Its just so strange, the way I feel. I have this longing for the apathetic, stoner, easy-going attitude of the early 90's, even though I never truly experienced it. I guess that I could be building the early 90's up in my head, making it something that it probably wasnt.

wow,how right you are,Jessica!
It's true,today's attitude really is pathetic and I can understand why people complain about how dumb todays youth is becoming(not all of course but the majority)
That easy-going attitude is something I really miss,then again there was a lot of angst etc..
but hey,unfortunately you just can't turn back time so the best thing is to hang about with people who have the same attitude as you!

Oh and keep listening to the music too!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/05 at 4:57 pm

Yeah me too I listen to songs from the mid 90's and at the time they don't seem like anything special. Than as time goes by like 10 years later your like I remember that song when I was in school. I guess we are noglastic because of how time passes by and things change.

I think you realize too that looking back on the mid 90's period you basically remember how carefree things were in just that you went to school and that was it. Now you have to work in the corperate world, have a car and fill it up with gas, and also when you get im your mid 20's you are thinking about someday getting married and having kids.

Very well said. :)

I've concluded that, more than anything it's our own views that make us nostalgic for the past. A time we're now "familar" and "comfortable" with - at an age we'd like to go back to since we know we never can. We long for familarity, whereas going into the future is uncertain - both with the year itself AND our current age.

To expand on what Chris Megatron said earlier up, things don't necesarilly get less innocent or harder, but it feels like it does.

It's ironic, but on the age thing - I'm 23 and I actually think of my current age as way OLDER now than I did before.

For instance, 10 years ago at age 13 I had the perception of a 23 year old as a cool young age where people were into partying, etc. Now that I've reached it myself, I think of myself as ancient sometimes - I believe it's the prospect of coming face to face with the responsibilities of actually being my age, as opposed to looking at it from a distance.

This definitely makes me wish I was a decade in the past at my age then. It's like, I don't want to be one of "the adults" - the pressure building up to get a real job, move out, get a girlfriend, get married, have kids - it's too much to think about sometimes. ;)

^ Actually I always thought/wondered/worried about it, but now I'm old enough to actually have to, ya know, DO something about it. When I was younger I thought it would sort of come to me. Truth is, life doesn't get any easier in that respect just 'cause you get older. If anything, the opposite.

In the mid 90's (even though I was more into the 80's) I liked a fair amount of the pop culture. But not for one second did I, at the time, think of it as "special" until it was replaced by something else. Heck I feel the same way for places I used to live and more simplistic things too.

Written By: chaka on 07/30/05 at 5:05 pm

Enjoy being under 23 while it's still here for you though.  When you see that kid born in 1995 driving cars and going to college, that is when your reality gets turned upside down.

A lot of people have told me to enjoy being young because it won't last forever and it's true of course but somehow I don't realize..I guess if I read this post 10 years later alot of things will have changed and I'll be wishing I had appreciated being young and "free".
Then again it annoys me how so many teenies just live for today,they just don't think about the future,they look away because they don't want to face it..
hmm I guess I've gone off-topic here..

Written By: tv on 07/30/05 at 5:07 pm

^ I second - or "third" that. Much of that is what I would have said. :)

I was born in late 1981 so I feel almost the same way. I think people are "shaped" by the pop culture they first get into, regardless of what year it's from or how old they were. In my case I heard ALOT of 80's music, thanks to my parents, as a child -- mixed in with alot of Beatles and 60s/70s stuff too.

Overall, I think things we liked from, say before high school (for me, 1996) we miss even more later on, since it's a bygone era in our lives, as well as the world. Also factor in that 1996 to '97 was a HUGE pop culture shift - the last big one we've ever had IMO.

(1996 still felt very "old-school-ish" but 1997 was in many ways an earlier version of today. The Internet, teen pop and South Park made it more "2000s" IMHO. 1995 and 1997 were more different than 1997 and 2005 are.)

I donb't know about the 96/97 pop culture shift. They were 3 shifts in pop culture after 96. Yes one of them was 97. I think the east/west coast in rap music with Biggie and Tupac dieing basically fueld hip-hops popularity in 1997 and 1998. Puff Daddy was huge in 1997-1998. I think 1999 saw another shift in pop culture. When Britney Spears came out a little before Christmas time in 1998 it fueled teen-pops popularity full circle with Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and 98 Degrees. Of coursethose 3 boy bands were out before Briney Spears came out but I always thought looking back at 1999 Britney was the artist that brought made teen-pop hip again.  On the teen pop tip Teen-pop was cool in 1987 with Deebbie Gibson and Tiffany and then died by 1990 when fast dance music groups were popular like C&C Music Factory and Snap. I thought by late 2000 that era of teen-pop died. Also, if you remember right rapper Enimem came out around the same time as Britney and he brought Dr. Dre's Label to prominence to sign top rap stars. Without Emimem would Dr. Dre have signed rappers like 50 Cent and The Game? Another artist(alicia Keys) by 2001 had brought R&B music back and also songwriting. She fueled R&B and singer/songer writers back onto popularity. Look at the success of Norah Jones album around that time. R&B artist Craig David was also popular in 2001 as well in the US. What about Usher's last 2 albums? What about Frankie J's success this year?

I look at it like this 1997-1998: rap and R&B music. 1999-2000: teen-pop. 2001-present: R&B and Hip/Hop and power ballad bands like 3 Doors Down, Nickleback, and Five For Fighting.

Written By: tv on 07/30/05 at 5:16 pm

A lot of people have told me to enjoy being young because it won't last forever and it's true of course but somehow I don't realize..I guess if I read this post 10 years later alot of things will have changed and I'll be wishing I had appreciated being young and "free".
Then again it annoys me how so many teenies just live for today,they just don't think about the future,they look away because they don't want to face it..
hmm I guess I've gone off-topic here..
Today;s young people look at life like you when you are young. I was talking to somebody when I was at this place I used to work at earlier this year. We were talking about music from 1998. She was talking about Michael Jordan Shows she had in 7th grade. She had to be in her early 20's and I am 25. Its like we used to be young and still are but not as young as we used to be.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/05 at 9:39 am

I donb't know about the 96/97 pop culture shift. They were 3 shifts in pop culture after 96. Yes one of them was 97. I think the east/west coast in rap music with Biggie and Tupac dieing basically fueld hip-hops popularity in 1997 and 1998. Puff Daddy was huge in 1997-1998. I think 1999 saw another shift in pop culture. When Britney Spears came out a little before Christmas time in 1998 it fueled teen-pops popularity full circle with Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and 98 Degrees. Of coursethose 3 boy bands were out before Briney Spears came out but I always thought looking back at 1999 Britney was the artist that brought made teen-pop hip again.  On the teen pop tip Teen-pop was cool in 1987 with Deebbie Gibson and Tiffany and then died by 1990 when fast dance music groups were popular like C&C Music Factory and Snap. I thought by late 2000 that era of teen-pop died. Also, if you remember right rapper Enimem came out around the same time as Britney and he brought Dr. Dre's Label to prominence to sign top rap stars. Without Emimem would Dr. Dre have signed rappers like 50 Cent and The Game? Another artist(alicia Keys) by 2001 had brought R&B music back and also songwriting. She fueled R&B and singer/songer writers back onto popularity. Look at the success of Norah Jones album around that time. R&B artist Craig David was also popular in 2001 as well in the US. What about Usher's last 2 albums? What about Frankie J's success this year?

I look at it like this 1997-1998: rap and R&B music. 1999-2000: teen-pop. 2001-present: R&B and Hip/Hop and power ballad bands like 3 Doors Down, Nickleback, and Five For Fighting.

Forgot to respond to this earlier. ;)

I think the shifts since 1997 (certainly '99) in music have been more minute---there's definitely BEEN changes, but I don't think it's been as noticeable since then.

I never paid much attention to gangsta rap (most of it sounds the same to me - always has, LOL!), but I'd agree that even as late as 2000, there were faint traces of alternative that are completely gone now.

Teen pop's main years were 1997-2001 - in overdrive in 1999 with Britney, etc though. I remember reading an article about music and pop culture in Rolling Stone in either late 2001 or early 2002. More or less it said that "teen pop has cooled off" among other things. I remember thinking, Man I bet we see the next wave of pop culture hit us anytime now. But it didn't happen. I'd still say the Britney's and Christina's heyday was clearly over by 2002 though. Nothing has officially replaced them still though.

I see "phenomenon" artists (or anything for that matter) as being SO big, that everyone knows them, whether they're interested or not - little kids, grandparents, soccer moms, you name it. Elvis was like that. The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Springsteen (for a time at least) all were like this.

The most recent artists along this line ARE the teenyboppers, a full 6 years ago.

Written By: tv on 07/31/05 at 9:54 pm

Today;s young people look at life like you when you are young. I was talking to somebody when I was at this place I used to work at earlier this year. We were talking about music from 1998. She was talking about Michael Jordan Shows she had in 7th grade. She had to be in her early 20's and I am 25. Its like we used to be young and still are but not as young as we used to be.
Should have said "Michael Jordan Shoes" not Michael Jordan "shows". Made a spelling mistake.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/01/05 at 12:28 pm

I get that way as well. Sometimes I think about the past and it makes me so depressed, longing to go back to simpler times in my life.  Certain songs, commercials, clothing, movies, TV shows...just about anything....can get me thinking and wishing that I could go back to that particular era.  I loved the trends that I grew up with...I was born in 1977...so the 80's and early 90's were "my time".  The cartoons were great, the songs were awesome, the TV shows were the best! Things have changed SO much over the past decades...it's almost scary.

Erin :)

Written By: makdafi on 08/04/05 at 12:08 pm

I'm the same exact way. I was also Born in 1986 and I just loved the Mid 90's and I always wish that I could just go back in time and relive it all over again.  Everytime I hear a song that I remember from the 90's so well, I go into a Depression almost, it's like, I remember hearing that song when it was brand new and now it's 10 years old and people don't even remember it anymore. I guess it's like they say, "You never know what you have, untill it's gone"

My thoughts exactly(I was born in 86 as well), it seems to me that nothing is as good as it used to be, but at least we have the internet so we can talk about the past and bring it back in a way.

Check for new replies or respond here...