inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jeff Gordon vs Dale Earnhardt...hey NASCAR fans remember that rivalry?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/20/05 at 9:07 pm

Anyone else here remember the NASCAR rivalry between Jeff Gordon(the Rainbow Warrior)vs the late Dale Earnhardt(the Intimidator)?

Many people who hate Jeff Gordon don't seem to remember that he raced against Earnhardt...and actually came out a winner. I admire Jeff for that...

But I truly miss the BLACK #3...he was FOR REAL,not polished or POLITICALLY CORRECT.

I think the closest thing to what Dale Earnhardt was is TONY STEWART...has those same traits.

Subject: Re: Jeff Gordon vs Dale Earnhardt...hey NASCAR fans remember that rivalry?

Written By: holicman on 07/22/05 at 6:48 am

I agree.

as much as i miss Dale Earnhardt, i see the same traits as Tony Stewart.

I think Stirling marlin could potentially also be up there.

Subject: Re: Jeff Gordon vs Dale Earnhardt...hey NASCAR fans remember that rivalry?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 12:28 pm

I think that Earnhardt JOKINGLY said that Jeff Gordon was gay....and certain 'fans' as well as NASCAR haters took it SERIOUSLY and blew it WAY out of proportion....

Look at all the WOMEN that surround Jeff at the racetrack...

Written By: tv on 07/22/05 at 12:56 pm

Earnhardts rivalary with Gordon was still not as big as Earnhardt's rivalary with Rusty Wallace.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 1:07 pm

Earnhardts rivalary with Gordon was still not as big as Earnhardt's rivalary with Rusty Wallace.
Rusty...another NASCAR 'bad boy'...look at how he treats his OWN D@MN TEAMMATE..Ryan Newman...

Written By: tv on 07/22/05 at 1:21 pm

Rusty...another NASCAR 'bad boy'...look at how he treats his OWN D@MN TEAMMATE..Ryan Newman...
Well I am a Rusty fan. He was a little bad boy about 10 years ago but he's older now. On the whole Newman thing thats not Rusty's fault. Ryan's team just doesn't want to share information with Rusty's team back and forth like teams like Roush, Hendrick, and Gibbs teams do. I tnink Ryan is talented though and can probably win a points title one of these days.

Written By: RealNascarFan on 07/22/05 at 4:08 pm

The "rivalry" was more for the press. Jeff Gordon was actually taught a lot from Dale Earnhardt off the track, such as how to draft at Daytona.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 5:05 pm

Well I am a Rusty fan. He was a little bad boy about 10 years ago but he's older now. On the whole Newman thing thats not Rusty's fault. Ryan's team just doesn't want to share information with Rusty's team back and forth like teams like Roush, Hendrick, and Gibbs teams do. I tnink Ryan is talented though and can probably win a points title one of these days.
Last year at the fall Martinsville race,when Ryan refused to 'let up' and let Rusty pass him...Rusty beat on Ryan after the race....Rusty should have NOT done that...Yes,Tony Stewart has gotten rough with other drivers at times...when they have made stupid mistakes,got the #20 car caught up in the resulting crash,and costing Tony dearly,any shot at a decent finish...Tony has also mellowed somewhat....and he is very polite to his fans...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 5:07 pm

Last year at the fall Martinsville race,when Ryan refused to 'let up' and let Rusty pass him...Rusty beat on Ryan after the race....Rusty should have NOT done that...Yes,Tony Stewart has gotten rough with other drivers at times...when they have made stupid mistakes,got the #20 car caught up in the resulting crash,and costing Tony dearly,any shot at a decent finish...Tony has also mellowed somewhat....and he is very polite to his fans...
and Tony has never beat on his TEAMMATE, Bobby Labonte.....

Written By: C.YarboroughFan on 07/22/05 at 10:57 pm

I no longer watch NASCAR because it seems lately that bad sportsmanship an conduct seem to be the rule instead of the exception. It also seems that the sanctioning body condones these actions until the public demands otherwise.
  I also don't like the monopoly NASCAR & ISC have. There have been too many good tracks closed and too much tradition lost. Eventually, all races will be on 1.5 mile cookie-cutter tracks, with Daytona being the only exception.

Written By: tv on 07/23/05 at 12:19 am

I no longer watch NASCAR because it seems lately that bad sportsmanship an conduct seem to be the rule instead of the exception. It also seems that the sanctioning body condones these actions until the public demands otherwise.
  I also don't like the monopoly NASCAR & ISC have. There have been too many good tracks closed and too much tradition lost. Eventually, all races will be on 1.5 mile cookie-cutter tracks, with Daytona being the only exception.

Well Rockingham was boring I do miss North Wilkesboro. Hey Bristol and Martinsville are still around. I don't like Texas's speedway though. The races are just not exciting there. As far as Daytona being an exception what about Talladega. I like Dover too. Pocono and Michigan there is lots of room for passing.

Written By: C.YarboroughFan on 07/23/05 at 12:38 am

As far as Daytona being an exception what about Talladega

I'm talking about the current trend and what NASCAR will be racing on in the future. If you don't belong to ISC, you won't get a date. Evenentually, All races will be held at two types of tracks: Superspeedways, Daytona & maybe Talladega, and 1.5 mile tracks(Las Vegas, California Speedway, etc.) NASCAR and ISC have a monopoly and are only interested in profits, not good racing. Texas has sued them, NASCAR settled for now. Kentucky Motor Speedway is sueing them. It's time to clean house and bring in new management.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/23/05 at 2:57 am

I think that Earnhardt JOKINGLY said that Jeff Gordon was gay....and certain 'fans' as well as NASCAR haters took it SERIOUSLY and blew it WAY out of proportion....
Wasn't there at one time a group called Fans Against Gordon???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 10:29 am

The "rivalry" was more for the press. Jeff Gordon was actually taught a lot from Dale Earnhardt off the track, such as how to draft at Daytona.
I couldn't agree more. Gordon often said that Dale Sr. was his mentor. I remember the Earnhardt/Wallace rivalry better but after the race they were friends, like many drivers are.

Written By: tv on 07/23/05 at 1:00 pm

I couldn't agree more. Gordon often said that Dale Sr. was his mentor. I remember the Earnhardt/Wallace rivalry better but after the race they were friends, like many drivers are.
Yeah they were very good friends off the track.

Written By: jiminy on 07/23/05 at 5:11 pm

I remember the Dale Earnhardt and Ernie Irvan rivalry, before his accident Ernie was probably the most popular Ford driver

Written By: tv on 07/23/05 at 6:24 pm

I remember the Dale Earnhardt and Ernie Irvan rivalry, before his accident Ernie was probably the most popular Ford driver
Yes, 1994 was the year Irvan and Earnhardt were battling for the points title until Irvan almost got killed in a practice crash that year in August at Michigan International Speedway. Earnhardt's and Irvan's rivalary I think might have even started before Irvan drove the Texaco/Havoline # 28 Ford Thunderbird for Robert Yates Racing. Before Irvan drove the Texaco/Havoline Ford he used to drive the Kodak Film #4 Chevy for Morgan-McClure Racing in the early 90's(say 1991-1992.) Irvan took over the Texaco/Havoline Ford #28 late or maybe the last third(not sure about that)in the 1993 season in taking over the ride vacated by Davey Allison's death in August of 1993.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/23/05 at 10:30 pm

Earnhardt's SON...Dale Jr won TWO Busch Series titles back to back...1997 and 1198 I think...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/29/05 at 8:20 pm

Hey Yarbouroughfan...Do you remember the Cale-Allisons brawl at the 1979 Daytona 500...

Written By: YarboroughFan on 07/30/05 at 2:36 am

Hey Yarbouroughfan...Do you remember the Cale-Allisons brawl at the 1979 Daytona 500

Yes I do. Have you watched that particular race? Do you remember why it was even shown in the first place? Do you remember the events leading up to that incident? Do you remember the repercussions of that event? Do you remember who won?

Although I thought it was deplorable the way those three drivers acted, it was still the exception and not the norm at the time. That broadcast, regardless of the infield brawl, started the TV revolution for NASCAR. Today, it is almost expected to "bump draft" a fellow competitor out the way. NASCAR(Narcissistic Association of Southern Crackers and Rednecks) has turned a once reputable organization into a pro wrestling style 3-ring circus. Aero equal, restrictor plates(seems smaller engines would be a better solution), soft tires, 11 gallon gas tanks- all were brought about so the no-driving wannabee crybabies of the sport today can "compete"(to call it competition is ridiculous). You can say it's all in the name of safety, but yet drivers still get injured(with more often sidelining injuries) and there are more crashes now than ever before, mostly from slower speeds which bunch up the field. It also seems NASCAR is the last to implement the "real" safety devices: HAN's device, soft walls.

Go to SpeedTV's forums and read why so many more people are "turning off" NASCAR. Ratings are down, costs are up, they can barely scrape up enough cars to fill the fields(thank goodness for multi-car teams). It's just a rich boy's sport(?) now. You will never again see the likes of independent drivers like Dave Marcis, Bobby Hillon, J. D. McDuffie, Marty Robbins, Buddy Arrington, Jody Ridley, H.B. Baily, Bobby Wawak, Lennie Pond, etc. because of the corporate greed of the parent organization.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/30/05 at 3:06 pm

Yes I do. Have you watched that particular race? Do you remember why it was even shown in the first place? Do you remember the events leading up to that incident? Do you remember the repercussions of that event? Do you remember who won?

Although I thought it was deplorable the way those three drivers acted, it was still the exception and not the norm at the time. That broadcast, regardless of the infield brawl, started the TV revolution for NASCAR. Today, it is almost expected to "bump draft" a fellow competitor out the way. NASCAR(Narcissistic Association of Southern Crackers and Rednecks) has turned a once reputable organization into a pro wrestling style 3-ring circus. Aero equal, restrictor plates(seems smaller engines would be a better solution), soft tires, 11 gallon gas tanks- all were brought about so the no-driving wannabee crybabies of the sport today can "compete"(to call it competition is ridiculous). You can say it's all in the name of safety, but yet drivers still get injured(with more often sidelining injuries) and there are more crashes now than ever before, mostly from slower speeds which bunch up the field. It also seems NASCAR is the last to implement the "real" safety devices: HAN's device, soft walls.

Go to SpeedTV's forums and read why so many more people are "turning off" NASCAR. Ratings are down, costs are up, they can barely scrape up enough cars to fill the fields(thank goodness for multi-car teams). It's just a rich boy's sport(?) now. You will never again see the likes of independent drivers like Dave Marcis, Bobby Hillon, J. D. McDuffie, Marty Robbins, Buddy Arrington, Jody Ridley, H.B. Baily, Bobby Wawak, Lennie Pond, etc. because of the corporate greed of the parent organization.
Are you calling people like Tony Stewart 'crybabies'....Do you not like NASCAR now because it's not 'politically correct' and 'sanitized'...or do you like drivers that are 'aw shucks well it was a great race today' lying their a$$ off to the public EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW THEY COULD HAVE DONE BETTER had some other driver not slammed into them? I'd rather the drivers be 100% HONEST...not all polite and sweet....

Written By: tv on 07/30/05 at 5:25 pm

NASCAR's ratings are up not down.  I do agree though costs are up to run the teams and the days of independent drivers are gone. I agree there are alot more crashes this year vs last year. There is also more passing this year than last year. Its kind of a double edged sword. To me NASCAR ratings go up every year just like the NFL's and like Toyota's market share in the US car market. THE NBA is not as popular as in the early to mid 90's, and the NHL is a former shell of itself.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 12:50 pm

Tony Stewart is one h*ll of a driver...

People didn't respect KURT BUSCH either...till he won the first Nextel Cup. He has mellowed out somewhat...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 8:18 pm

I can't believe I actually had a major crush on Jeff Gordon at one time.... ::) :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 8:19 pm

I can't believe I actually had a major crush on Jeff Gordon at one time.... ::) :D
and now I have the hots for another Indiana native, Tony Stewart..as well as Dale Jr AND Kasey Kahne...all of which are way younger than me...

Check for new replies or respond here...