inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remembering the NBA 1990's style:

Written By: tv on 07/23/05 at 12:37 am

Anybody miss the NBA decade of the 90's. Remember the Sonics with Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton? What about the Jazz with the rio of Jeff Hornacek, John Stockton, and Karl Malone? What about The Indiana Pacers with Reggie Miller and The Davis boys(Dale and Antonio?) What about the Portland Trailblazers with Jerome Kersey, Cylde Drexler, Terry Porter, Cliff Robinson, and Buck Willliams. Even the knicks with Charles Oakley, Patrick Ewing, and John Starks? What about the Orlando Magic with Anfernee "Penee" Hardaway, Nick Anderson, Shaq and Dennis scott. I miss the NBA of the early to mid 90's. What about the Rockets with hakeem " The Dream", Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, and Sam Cassell? NBA Ratings were through the roof at that time on Television.

Subject: Re: Remembering the NBA 1990's style:

Written By: Skippy on 07/23/05 at 12:46 am

I remember as far back as the late 60's, 70's, and 80's when they actually wore shorts instead of bloomers. Remeber Karem? Larry Bird?, Kevin McHale?, Dr. J? Those were the days.
Of course the early/mid 90's were great too. You mentioned many of my favorite players. Strange you didn't mention Magic or M.J.

Written By: tv on 07/23/05 at 1:20 am

I remember as far back as the late 60's, 70's, and 80's when they actually wore shorts instead of bloomers. Remeber Karem? Larry Bird?, Kevin McHale?, Dr. J? Those were the days.
Of course the early/mid 90's were great too. You mentioned many of my favorite players. Strange you didn't mention Magic or M.J.
Yes I remember Bird and Mchale. I started following the NBA in 1991 so Bird and Mchale were kind of at the end of their careers. I do however remember that game of the first round series with the Pacers and Celtics in '91. Chuck Person was keeping Indiana by himself in that game 5 at Boston Garden. However the Celtics just held on to win that game. Indiana had a good team with Reggie Miller, Chuck Person, Rik Smits, Michael Williams, LaSalle Thompson, and Mike Sanders that year. I like Jordan I have a poster of him in my room. Yeah the Bulls did have great teams in winning 3 championships with Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, John Paxson, Jordan, B.J. Armstrong and Bill Cartwright. The other 3 championships were won with Jordan, Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Toni Kukoc, and Luc Longley. Dr. J. was cool with the Sixers and the ABA Nets. I have just seen highlights of Dr. J.

Written By: tv on 07/23/05 at 1:27 am

Yes I remember Bird and Mchale. I started following the NBA in 1991 so Bird and Mchale were kind of at the end of their careers. I do however remember that game of the first round series with the Pacers and Celtics in '91. Chuck Person was keeping Indiana by himself in that game 5 at Boston Garden. However the Celtics just held on to win that game. Indiana had a good team with Reggie Miller, Chuck Person, Rik Smits, Michael Williams, LaSalle Thompson, and Mike Sanders that year.
Dang I forgot with the Pacers you also had Detlef Schremph(he was their sixth man off their bench.) Chuck Person was called the "Rifleman".

Written By: Skippy on 07/23/05 at 1:57 am

Yeah, the Pacers were good. It's too bad they never got a championship. Remember Coach Don Walsh?
  If you get ESPN or ESPN Classics they sometimes show old playoff footage from the NBA and late ABA days, usually around the time of the playoffs. It's cool to see the different used back then. I still remember the red, white and blue ball the ABA used.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 10:30 am

You mean those exciting 74-68 thrillers? I'd rather remember the ABA in the 70's. I'd much rather see a 125-122 game ;)

Written By: tv on 07/23/05 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, the Pacers were good. It's too bad they never got a championship. Remember Coach Don Walsh?
  If you get ESPN or ESPN Classics they sometimes show old playoff footage from the NBA and late ABA days, usually around the time of the playoffs. It's cool to see the different used back then. I still remember the red, white and blue ball the ABA used.
Don Walsh was their coach.? I don't remember him. The owners name currently is Donnie Walsh I think and he has been the owner of that team for awhile. I remember all their coaches from the 90's on up: Bob Hill, Larry Brown, Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, and Rick carlisle. I think Isiah took them to the Finals in 1999-2000. Yeah the Pacers have always been good in the 90's and even now. Here is a record of their recent playoff histories on how close they have come: 94: Lost to Knicks in Eastern Conference Finals. 95: Lost to Orlando in Eastern Conference Finals. 98: Lost to Bulls in Eastern Conference Finals. 99: Lost to Knicks in Eastern Conference Finals. 00: Lost to Lakers in NBA Finals. 04 Lost to Pistons in Eastern Conference Finals. I think in 95-96 they had a real good year but lost to Atlanta in the first round of the playoffs I think. Reggie Miller was on all those teams. He was a great clutch player. He used to kill the Knicks. Not seeing Reggie on the Floor next year playing for the Pacers will be different. You are so used to seeing him on the Pacers.

On the classic games they did replay that Celtics-Pacers game 5 from 1991 a few months back. I was like that seems like yesterday.

Written By: Skippy on 07/23/05 at 5:35 pm

The owners name currently is Donnie Walsh

OOOPs, my bad. You're correct.

Check for new replies or respond here...