inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WHAT SONGS FROM THE 1990'S DO YOU LIKE, BUT ARE TO SCARED TO ADMIT IT

Written By: Gambler on 07/24/05 at 9:20 am

I would have to say Aqua's first ever single "Roses Are Red" and Tommy Paige's "I'll Be Your Everything".

Subject: Re: WHAT SONGS FROM THE 1990'S DO YOU LIKE, BUT ARE TO SCARED TO ADMIT IT

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/05 at 9:29 am

Perfect Day, performed by Various Artists (the list will be up later) from 1997.

A wonderful song, with wonderful memories.

Subject: Re: WHAT SONGS FROM THE 1990'S DO YOU LIKE, BUT ARE TO SCARED TO ADMIT IT

Written By: Gambler on 07/24/05 at 11:18 am

Perfect Day, performed by Various Artists (the list will be up later) from 1997.

A wonderful song, with wonderful memories.

Another I'm of admitting to liking:

http://merlin.legend.org.uk/~amit/lolly/vlr1.jpg

She's got a good voice and i've always thought that she looked like Lene from Aqua. She's now a kids presenter on the beeb.

Written By: 90s boy on 07/25/05 at 3:16 pm

hmm I'm gonna go with Amy Grant Baby Baby lol i don't know why i like this song its so catchy lol ;D

she also had another catchy song from the same year i cant remember the name lol

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/25/05 at 3:38 pm

In the meantime- by Spacehog(1996)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/05 at 7:45 pm

hmm I'm gonna go with Amy Grant Baby Baby lol i don't know why i like this song its so catchy lol ;D

she also had another catchy song from the same year i cant remember the name lol

It's cool dude, I like her too. :)

I remember in 1991 and '92 when the singles/videos were all over VH1 (I was around 10 at the time). I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to it by most people, LOL but I liked it on my own. Thought it had a cool late 80's innocent pop sound.

The other 3 hits were "Every Heartbeat", "Good for Me" (both upbeat pop/rock) and "That's What Love is for" (more of a slow, pretty ballad) so it was probably one of those.

Written By: 90s boy on 07/25/05 at 8:36 pm

It's cool dude, I like her too. :)

I remember in 1991 and '92 when the singles/videos were all over VH1 (I was around 10 at the time). I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to it by most people, LOL but I liked it on my own. Thought it had a cool late 80's innocent pop sound.

The other 3 hits were "Every Heartbeat", "Good for Me" (both upbeat pop/rock) and "That's What Love is for" (more of a slow, pretty ballad) so it was probably one of those.

i guess thats why they were good they were so upbeat and late 80's sounding even though it came out in 1991 but i liked thoughs 3 songs lol she was also a cutey back then to with the permed hair heh  but i guess when your younger u like that kinda stuff but these songs grew with me i would never hear the end of it if my friends found out lol ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/05 at 8:43 pm

i guess thats why they were good they were so upbeat and late 80's sounding even though it came out in 1991 but i liked thoughs 3 songs lol she was also a cutey back then to with the permed hair heh  but i guess when your younger u like that kinda stuff but these songs grew with me i would never hear the end of it if my friends found out lol ;D

Yeah definitely - I don't think that would've been as big of a hit even 2 years later in 1993. If that kind of music was still coming out, it might be okay, but as for right now I'd never think of admitting it. Some of the guys once gave me SO MUCH flack for liking REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight this Feeling" - I can't think what they might say about "Baby Baby"! ;D

BTW I forgot to add I also had a crush on her (well still do, even if that version of her is technically 13 or 14 years in the past now, LOL!). :D

Written By: Fortman on 07/25/05 at 9:51 pm

In the meantime- by Spacehog(1996)

Judging by your Username, you don't seem very afraid to admit it

Written By: nondiva234 on 07/26/05 at 2:10 am

Just so you don't see, lol, my guilty pleasure song from the 90s was anything Britney Spears...HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/05 at 4:41 pm

Just so you don't see, lol, my guilty pleasure song from the 90s was anything Britney Spears...HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME!

I don't consider 1999 to be part of the "true" 90's -- pop culture-wise it's far more like the 2000's, but I know you mean calendicularly. ;)

That said, I admit to SLIGHTLY liking "Sometimes" - it's a little different than most of the other songs of that genre. Sort of a nice sing-along ballad. Yet it seems to have become the least "popular" of the hits off her debut album.

Written By: 90s boy on 07/27/05 at 5:15 pm

Yeah definitely - I don't think that would've been as big of a hit even 2 years later in 1993. If that kind of music was still coming out, it might be okay, but as for right now I'd never think of admitting it. Some of the guys once gave me SO MUCH flack for liking REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight this Feeling" - I can't think what they might say about "Baby Baby"! ;D

BTW I forgot to add I also had a crush on her (well still do, even if that version of her is technically 13 or 14 years in the past now, LOL!). :D

heh yea i liked thoughs 3 songs mean while what happned to her after that  ???

Written By: A.B. on 07/28/05 at 10:56 pm

Achy Breaky Heart- Billy Ray Cyrus

Three Little Pigs- Green Jelly

I Want You Back- Take That (Robbie William's old boy band)

Ice Ice Baby- Vanilla Ice

Anything Weird Al.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/05 at 10:48 pm

heh yea i liked thoughs 3 songs mean while what happned to her after that ???

I remember she had a small hit with a cover of "Big Yellow Taxi" in 1994 or '95 but I only heard it on the radio a few times.

BTW, more of a random observation but doesn't it seem like alot - I mean ALOT of 90's songs are being dropped from radio playlists and all? Some of the big hits from 1994 would be just as "unknown" now as many of the forgotten hits of 1984.

Same with TV shows - how many people still rememeber shortlived WB shows like "Kirk" from the mid 90's?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/30/05 at 12:03 pm

While listening to my XM the other day, I heard a song by Jennifer Lopez callled "Waiting For Tonight" that I have to admit was pretty catchy. (Please don't tell any of my headbanger friends about this, they'll whoop my a** for sure!) ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/30/05 at 12:54 pm

Why would I be scared to admit it? ???

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/09/05 at 6:24 pm

Three most obvious for me, would have to be:

"Macarena"  (remember that craze from 1996?)
"Mmmm Bop" by Hansen (I liked that song, it was kind of fun to listen to).
& "What I Really, Really Want" (is that correct?) by Spice Girls (same reason as with "Mmmm Bop")  ;D

One song from the early 1990's that others used to tell me they liked, but later swore of (because of what happened with the singer).  But I never stopped liking this thought provoking song:

"Praying For Time" by George Michael   

Written By: jaypunkchick1 on 08/18/05 at 11:47 pm

there where a number of backstreet boys songs that i secretly like and that aqua song "barbie girl" was secretly one of my favs and to this day it still is

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/24/05 at 1:30 pm

Three most obvious for me, would have to be:

"Macarena"  (remember that craze from 1996?)
"Mmmm Bop" by Hansen (I liked that song, it was kind of fun to listen to).
& "What I Really, Really Want" (is that correct?) by Spice Girls (same reason as with "Mmmm Bop")  ;D

One song from the early 1990's that others used to tell me they liked, but later swore of (because of what happened with the singer).  But I never stopped liking this thought provoking song:

"Praying For Time" by George Michael   

It's "Wannabe" by The Spice Girls and yeah, I liked it too!

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/24/05 at 2:28 pm

"Summergirls" by LFO (1999)  :-[

"Run Away" by Real McCoy (1995)  :-[

"She's So High" by Tal Bachman (1999)  :-[

Written By: 90s boy on 08/24/05 at 3:07 pm

ok i still like some spice girls songs inculding there last hit Goodby My Firends witch reached the top ten in late 1998  ;D lol funny name for there last hit

Written By: speedyink on 08/25/05 at 8:50 pm

Some song I heard on the radio a couple times.  I dont know the name or singer or any of the lyrics.  All I know is that the chorus is some native person singing "ya ya yaaa" or something.  If anyone knows the name of the song or the singer please e-mail me at speedyink@gmail.com.  I also liked Aqua, Barbie girl and the lollipop song(forget the name).  I also liked the Spice girls song Wannabe.

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/26/05 at 12:04 am

Some song I heard on the radio a couple times.  I dont know the name or singer or any of the lyrics.  All I know is that the chorus is some native person singing "ya ya yaaa" or something.  If anyone knows the name of the song or the singer please e-mail me at speedyink@gmail.com.  I also liked Aqua, Barbie girl and the lollipop song(forget the name).  I also liked the Spice girls song Wannabe.

I posted this in the other thread, but i'll post it again here for you

I think I know exactly the song you are talking about (It's a favorite of mine), it's called "Return to Innocence" by Enigma from 1994

I'm pretty sure that's the song you're talking about..

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/27/05 at 8:48 am

...I...I can't tell, I'm too scared!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/29/05 at 4:26 pm

...I...I can't tell, I'm too scared!

Aww, I shared mine, so I think anyone can - I was scared too, LOL!

If I add "As I Lay Me Down to Sleep" from Sophie B Hawkins, does that help? ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/29/05 at 6:08 pm

Aww, I shared mine, so I think anyone can - I was scared too, LOL!

If I add "As I Lay Me Down to Sleep" from Sophie B Hawkins, does that help? ;)

I jk... I really aren't scared to admit any song, so I have nothing to put here... OK, I sometimes listen to Ironic by Alanis Morrisette

Written By: Degrassi Girl on 08/29/05 at 6:39 pm

There's a song that i like but i can't remember the name of it. I keep thinking of certain parts over and over in my head. I think the chorus goes, you've got to get up, get out, get over it, ...
If any one knows the song I'm talking about please e-mail me about it at
;) ::) ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/05 at 3:10 pm

I would have to say Aqua's first ever single "Roses Are Red" and Tommy Paige's "I'll Be Your Everything".

I remember Tommy Page:

1990 - I'll Be Your Everything
2005 - "I'll be your waiter this evening"

--------

I'm guilty of still liking All For Love by Color Me Badd LOL

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/14/05 at 9:42 am

I hate to admit I  liked the song Goodbye my friend from The Spice Skanks <GIRLS> oops... LOL and I sorta liked some Hootie and TBF  please dont laugh too hard :D,  I know I need my head examined for liking it.....

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/14/05 at 11:24 am

I hate to admit I liked the song Goodbye my friend from The Spice Skanks <GIRLS> oops... LOL and I sorta liked some Hootie and TBF please dont laugh too hard :D, I know I need my head examined for liking it.....

Not by me, lol. :D

Though not a big fan in general, I love "Let Her Cry" - I guess that would sort of be like a 90's styled power ballad/love song. It was still sort of rocking.

Their upbeat material I never much cared for ("Only Wanna Be With You" and "Everytime I Look at You I Go Blind" were ok though).

Written By: whistledog on 09/14/05 at 8:50 pm

We had a girly teen pop trio in Canada called 'West End Girls'.  They were like the Spice Girls of the early 90's, and I'll be honest.. I really liked their songs.  They were a bunch of hot lookin' ladies too  :)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/16/05 at 8:40 am

What about "EVERYBODY WANTS SOMETHING" by the ZIT REMEDY?  <  a shout for my canadian friends>  Oh and what about RICO SUAVE by Geraldo? 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/27/06 at 12:49 pm

I don't consider 1999 to be part of the "true" 90's -- pop culture-wise it's far more like the 2000's, but I know you mean calendicularly. ;)

That said, I admit to SLIGHTLY liking "Sometimes" - it's a little different than most of the other songs of that genre. Sort of a nice sing-along ballad. Yet it seems to have become the least "popular" of the hits off her debut album.

1999 is the '90s, even 2000-early '01 is in some ways, but it's very "pseudo-'90s". 1999 in many ways is a precursor to the '00s, and even 2000 is sorta "less late '90s" like today is.  To my eyes, 2001 was the real start of the '00s, but they haven't really diverged from the '90s in a big way (culturally, that is.  Historically, they're almost a totally different era, I say almost because although the '90s were 9/11 there were some big precursors, like Gulf War I and the first World Trade Center bombing.)

As for "Sometimes", I wouldn't say I like it, but it's a cute song.  Almost '80s sounding, in a vague way. "Lucky" was okay too, those are the only Britney Spears with any merit IMO. 

'90s songs I like but are afraid to admit? Well, I like "Crush" by Jennifer Paige, I wouldn't admit that to most.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/27/06 at 1:01 pm

Diggin' On You- TLC from 1995/96.

Written By: Banks on 01/28/06 at 3:38 am

Groove Is In The Heart by De-Lite is a song I wont readily admit to owning, even though I do. Im not sure if it is 1990 or late 1989 though.

AN

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/30/06 at 3:42 am

Informer from SNOW < i know , its really bad but I liked it> :D

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/06 at 1:38 pm

Okay, here goes. . . Billy Ray Cyrus, Achy Breaky Heart.  Tag Team "Whomp There it is".  Bryan White's "My Heart's sitting on Go.  I went through that 90's country faze. ::)

Written By: LittleMissGenius on 01/31/06 at 10:28 pm

Lord help me but that song by Joey "Whoa" Lawrence called Nothin' My Love Can't Fix. It's sooo bad!

Written By: Marina A on 02/14/06 at 6:38 pm

i have been on the hunt for this one song and the chorus is just a man saying "doo doo doo doo doo" and its very different help!! ::)

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/15/06 at 11:22 am

This isn't that bad, but at the time i'm sure i was way too emarassed to admit it, but i didn't mind that song What's Goin On by 4 Non Blondes.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/15/06 at 11:27 am

Sorry i'm mistaken the song was called What's Up not What's Going On.

Written By: SpaceHog on 02/16/06 at 7:21 am

1.) 3 little pigs-Green Jelly
2.) Candy Rain- soul 4 real
3.) I like to move it- real to reel
4.) Pump up the jam- Technotronic
5.) Your woman- Whitetown
6.) Where does my heart beat now?- Celine Dion

Thats good for now.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/16/06 at 8:45 am

1.) 3 little pigs-Green Jelly
2.) Candy Rain- soul 4 real
3.) I like to move it- real to reel
4.) Pump up the jam- Technotronic
5.) Your woman- Whitetown
6.) Where does my heart beat now?- Celine Dion

Thats good for now.

3 Little Pigs was great little song & so was the clip, i wouldn't be embarrassed about that one. Green Jelly was really zaney. I had the single of 3 Little Pigs on cassette & the b side was a song called Obey The Cowgod which was also good.
As for I like To Move It, i'd be embarrassed about that one aswell. That has to be one of the 10 ten "all time" worst songs ever. I'd also be embarrassed about the Celine Dion one aswell.

Written By: magnetized_clairwy on 02/22/06 at 5:46 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Claire and I have just joined this great site! ;D

Heehee, I remember Green Jelly - 3 Little Pigs too! And also the Fishheads song "Fish heads, Fish heads, rolly polly fish heads, fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, YUM!" Lol! Sorry  :-[  :o

I was wondering if anyone remembered a band called Northern Live from the 90's, i seem to remember them but I cant remember what songs they did - i am a big fan of Quizmania and one of the presenters is called Lee Baldry and on the Quizmania site it says "you might recognise him from Northern Live, a 90's boyband", and i have done so much internet searching but i cant find anything!

If anyone could help me it would be appreciated, and also if i am posting in the wrong thread i apologise, please tell me otherwise! :)

Thanks
Take care
Claire
-x- ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/22/06 at 6:35 pm

There's alot of stuff from the 1990s that I'm more than embarassed to admit I like. Like I don't have a passion for it, but it's certainly enjoyable. Celine Dion, Alanis Morisette, Savage Garden, Ricky Martin and Jennifer Lopez's 1999 stuff, Everclear, "Barbie Girl" and "Baby, Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears fall into that category. The last one is an "excellent slab of white hot soul", but it's the only decent thing that piece of trash ever did. I wasn't a big fan of anything but the song, though, I never liked her.

Written By: Dyia on 02/22/06 at 8:37 pm

I'm really not ashamed to admit that I was obsessed with the Backstreet Boys (way better than *NSYNC if you ask me...). "As Long as You Love Me" was a guilty pleasure... And don't get me started on "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)", yeah you know you remember it...

Actually, to be quite honest, I'm still a loyal fan... Got their latest CD back in summer of '05... Yeah, that's right, they're back... They said they would be...

As long as there'll be music, we'll be coming back again...

Written By: McDonald on 02/23/06 at 11:57 am

I Want You Back- Take That (Robbie William's old boy band)

That's a great song, boy band or no. I love it, always have.

I liked Wilson Phillips, all the stupid dance songs like LaBouche and stuff, Bryan Adams, Michael Jackson, Madonna. Yeah, pretty much anything you could be ashamed of (except the late 90's teen pop) I like.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 02/23/06 at 12:39 pm

iI like informer by snow,achy break heart by billy ray cyus and u can't touch this by MC Hammer (If is counts as 90's song?)

Written By: DaChazman on 02/24/06 at 12:54 pm

Sheryl Crow- Everyday is a Winding Road

It's not my style, but it really brings back memories.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/24/06 at 1:17 pm

I've been known to crank up the New Kids On The Block album "Step by Step".

Written By: Criz on 02/25/06 at 5:05 pm

there where a number of backstreet boys songs that i secretly like

Oh God...me too! I can't admit that anywhere else tho :S

Savage Garden - always liked them, and I guess I still do. They had some very good album tracks on their first release.

'Love and Devotion' by the Real McCoy is another guilty pleasure, as is 'I Love Saturday' by Erasure - really love that song!! I also secretly know all the words to 'Ice Ice Baby' :S :S

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/06 at 2:21 pm

Not really into 90s music but there are few songs that I like (some I'm not scared to admit and some... :-[).

Ok, ok. Like a few people said, Achy, Breaky Heart (probably the first few hundred times I heard it, anyway)
Where Have All the Cowboys Gone-Paula Cole
The Macorana (cheesy, I know but hey, it has a good beat and you can dance to it.  :D )
That one by the Spice Girls-Two Become One
MMMM, MMMMM-Crash Test Dummies (even though I love Weird Al's version of it better  ;D )

This is the short list. (The longer list includes Ricky Martin, Santana, Madonna, Werid Al, etc. etc.)

Cat

Written By: kingofpain on 06/14/12 at 11:31 am

"How can we be lovers" and "Said I love you but I lied", both by Michael Bolton

"Uncle Tom's Cabin" and "I saw Red", both by Warrent

"Baby Baby" by Amy Grant

"All for Love" by Bryan Adams

"I want it that way" by Backstreet Boys

Written By: JTRSTP on 06/14/12 at 12:50 pm

Sadly I was addicted to the Backstreet Boys... My favorite song was I Want It That Way :\'(

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/18/12 at 1:37 am

Not scared of admitting but......... HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME!!!!!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...