inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NEED SOME GOOD 90'S SONGS PLEASE HELP

Written By: Shellie on 07/26/05 at 2:56 am

Hey i am organising a party for my sister and she love the early 90's music in the style of Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice and Cherry Pie by Warrent you know the top 100 stuff of the time. . . can anyone help by suggesting some songs please... Thank you

Subject: Re: NEED SOME GOOD 90'S SONGS PLEASE HELP

Written By: bj26 on 07/26/05 at 3:27 pm

Banned in the USA was a cool song, but I forgot the group they were gangstas.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 5:26 pm

Banned in the USA was a cool song, but I forgot the group they were gangstas.

It was the infamous group, 2 Live Crew, they released the song in response to their previous song, Me So Horny, being banned from being played on the radio and clubs.

Written By: bj26 on 07/27/05 at 7:12 am

It was the infamous group, 2 Live Crew, they released the song in response to their previous song, Me So Horny, being banned from being played on the radio and clubs.
Maybe 2 Live Crew would be a little R rated. Here are some songs:  Green Thoughts - The Smithereens, Michael Jackson though controversial anything, Billie Jean, the Way you make me feel, Black or White, etc. the Breeders- Invisible Man; I'll Be You -  Replacements, Graveyard shift- Uncle Tupelo, settled down like rain - Jayhawks, One Sweet world - Dave Matthews, Lake of Fire -Nirvana, Favorite Mistake -Sheryl Crow, Till the Day I die - Garbage,Quit playin Games with my heart -  Backstreet Boys.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/09/05 at 6:51 pm

Two songs that were really great from the early 1990's to dance to were:

"Would I Lie To You?" by Charles & Eddie (not to be mistaken by a similiar entitled song by the Eurythmics from 1985)

"Motownphilly" by Boyz II Men

(These would be great for a kids 1990's party, IMNSHO)

Some other tunes and artists as the decade continued that would be great to have at dance party would have to be the following:

Of course the:  "Macarena" (you can't do a 1990's dance party without this song)
"Ray Of Light" by Madonna
"She's So High" by Tal Bachman
"I Know" by Dionne Farris
"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow
"Runaway" by Janet Jackson
Anything from Spice Girls
and:  "Mmmm! Bop" by Hansen 

Written By: Powerslave on 08/09/05 at 7:51 pm

For purely dance music I reckon you can't go past the early 90s electronica like Snap! - "Rhythm is a Dancer", Black Box' version of "Fantasy" and "Things That Make You Go Hmmm" by C+C Music Factory. Cheese, but early 90s dance heaven. :)

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/10/05 at 12:29 am

Of course the: "Macarena" (you can't do a 1990's dance party without this song)

Yes, the Macarena has to be in your party. It's not a 90s party without it. You could try some Spice Girls music, and maybe "Groove Is In The Heart" by Deee-Lite.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/10/05 at 4:22 am

Yes, the Macarena has to be in your party. It's not a 90s party without it. You could try some Spice Girls music, and maybe "Groove Is In The Heart" by Deee-Lite.

Oh Yes, I forgot all about "Groove Is In The Heart", what a great party tune that was and sooooooo early 1990's for sure.

Six other songs you might want to consider from the early 1990's would be:

"It's Ain't Over 'Til It's Over" from Lenny Kravitz
"Crazy" from Seal
"Vogue" from Madonna
"Hold On" from Wilson Phillips
"Roam" from the B-52's
"Baby, Baby" from Amy Grant

And I just thought of one other tune that is just so hillarous from the early 1990's, that you have got to include at your party:

"Birdhouse In Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants (this one always makes me laugh and you have access to Yahoo's Launchcast radio, they have the video of this classic on that site and you should run the video -- the girls will just die laughing from watching those two nuts from TMBG & couple of other actors/actresses dancing to this tune)

Very quickly before I leave for work, I thought of six other early 1990's songs that would be really good for the party (one of these like the above "Birdhouse" by TMBG is from the alternative college music circuit of that time period, but would be great to have at this party for your sister, IMNSHO):

"King Of Wishful Thinking" (from "Pretty Woman") by Go West
"I've Been Thinking About You" by Londonbeat (definite one-hit wonder)
"Gonna Make You Sweat" by C+C Music Factory
"Walking In Memphis" by Marc Cohn
"These Are Days" by 10,000 Maniacs
"Joey" by Concrete Blonde (the other alternative college music tune, but great to dance to) 

Let me also reiterate the following two songs as an idea for this party:

"Would I Lie To You?"  by Charles & Eddie
"Motownphilly" by Boyz II Men

And at least sixteen other songs you might want to consider for the party:

"Walking On Broken Glass" by Annie Lenox
"Constant Craving" by k.d. lang
"Don't Walk Away" by Jade
"Move This" by Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K
"Things That Make You Go Hmmmm ...." by C+C Music Factory featuring Freedom Williams
"Everything About You" by Ugly Kid Joe
"Three Strange Days" by School Of Fish
"Right Here Right Now" by Jesus Jones
"Jump" by Kriss Kross
"That's Just The Way It Is" by the Rembrandts (predates their success with the theme from "Friends" by three years, from 1991)
"Someday" by Mariah Carey
"If There Was Any Other Way" by Celine Dion (the best song Celine ever recorded, IMNSHO and a good party tune)
"Make It Happen" by Mariah Carey
"Emotions" by Mariah Carey (these 3 Carey songs were done long before her movie flop, "Glitter", when she could still carry a really great dance tune as well)
"Unbelievable" by EMF
"Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" by P.M. Dawn

And three more possible songs (one that made the alternative college circuit in 1992), considering if you think these are appropriate for a younger person's party:

"I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred
"I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls
"Church Of Logic, Sin & Love" by the Men (this is the alternative college circuit tune, great to dance to, although the lyrics like the other two songs above this one are rather racy)

Also if you wanted to extend this into the music of 1993 (early-1990's or mid-1990's -- a big question? there -- here are five other songs to consider):

"Come Undun" by Duran Duran
"Ordinary World" by Duran Duran
"The Crying Game" by Boy George
"Sit Down You're Rock'n The Boat" a version of this Broadway classic as done by Don Henley well he appeared in a revival of "Guys and Dolls"
"Passionate Kisses" by Mary Chapin Carpenter

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/10/05 at 7:54 pm

Maybe 2 Live Crew would be a little R rated. Here are some songs:  Green Thoughts - The Smithereens, Michael Jackson though controversial anything, Billie Jean, the Way you make me feel, Black or White, etc. the Breeders- Invisible Man; I'll Be You -  Replacements, Graveyard shift- Uncle Tupelo, settled down like rain - Jayhawks, One Sweet world - Dave Matthews, Lake of Fire -Nirvana, Favorite Mistake -Sheryl Crow, Till the Day I die - Garbage,Quit playin Games with my heart -  Backstreet Boys.

Actually the Smithereens' "Green Thoughts" is not a 1990's tune, it came out in 1988, as did MJ's "The Way You Make Me Feel" & the Replacements' "I'll Be You".  And Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" is from 1983.  So these songs wouldn't count for a 1990's party that this topic was raised to ask about, now the songs I listed in the above post, would be much better, because all of them are from the early 1990's. 

Written By: melody99 on 08/10/05 at 8:39 pm

There was a song by a group called

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/10/05 at 11:59 pm

There was a song by a group called

I know quite a few more like that ^... :-\\

Anyway, some of my favourites from the early 1990s:

James Brown Is Dead - LA Style
Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C&C Music Factory
Anasthasia - T99
Unfinished Sympathy - Massive
Dominator - Human Resource
Good Vibrations - Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch feat. Loleatta Holloway
Just Another Day - Jon Secada
On A Ragga Tip - SL2
Das Boot - U96
America: What Time Is Love - The KLF
What Is Love - Haddaway

and let's not forget:
I Like To Move It - Reel 2 Real feat. The Mad Stuntman  ;)

O, I could go on and on...but I'll leave it at this.

Check for new replies or respond here...