inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Unsolved Mysteries".

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/05 at 9:25 pm

Anyone else into it? Technically it went on the air in 1987, but it mainly ran in the 90's.

I started watching in about 1993. At the time, I was really into cop shows, so I was more drawn in by the "Unexplained Death" and "Wanted" stories, followed by "Lost Loves/Missing Persons" - although I like the entire scope of stories featured.

The psychic and historical ones are always interesting too, for a change of pace.

I prefer the earlier ones (eg: from about 1988-93, with the old-school white lettering intro). Not only is there more of a chance some of those could be solved, but I actually think those were better quality overall. They felt more suspenseful, emotional, etc - yet still managed to be entertaining.

Robert Stack was also a great host - he had a perfect storytelling, slightly "suspenseful" voice (I love that "perhaps....it's you" catchphrase!). ;)

I also liked him from the more comedic movie roles in Airplane and Caddyshack II, so that actually made it even cooler to watch back in the day. I was saddened when he passed away about 2 years ago. :(

I still watch it to tape the reruns and see if there's been any updates.

Subject: Re: "Unsolved Mysteries".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:33 pm

Yes...I sometimes watch episodes of it...but to this day...it still freaks me out and scares me a bit.....I think it is the combination of Robert Stack's voice and that eerie music that they always play in the background. :o

Erin :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/05 at 9:37 pm

^ Yeah, the early ones especially are like that. I think partly because of the more "grainy" filming quality which made it more like a movie. If you watch the mid 90's to present ones, the shots look "brighter" and more cleaned up.

But I'll admit, Stack's narration played a big part in it! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:39 pm

^ Yeah, the early ones especially are like that. I think partly because of the more "grainy" filming quality which made it more like a movie. If you watch the mid 90's to present ones, the shots look "brighter" and more cleaned up.

But I'll admit, Stack's narration played a big part in it! ;)

definitely! I always hated when they would flash a composite sketch of a person across the screen..that always scared me when I was younger! LOL

Erin :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 9:53 pm

It was a good show along with America's Most Wanted.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/27/05 at 8:08 pm

The music from the show used to scare me so much when I was a little kid that I used to run into the other room when it would come on.

I always thought Robert Stack looked like a Ghost, his face and his voice did it for me.

I did an impression of Robert Stack for a class my junior year of high school, it was fun.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/27/05 at 8:36 pm

I loved that show.  I especially loved it when there was an update of families finding missing members.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/27/05 at 8:39 pm

I did an impression of Robert Stack for a class my junior year of high school, it was fun.

LOL! I've tried doing an impression of him before too, probably not that good though!

I loved that show. I especially loved it when there was an update of families finding missing members.

Same here. I'm a real softie in that respect, so I loved that - same with finding old friends, etc.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/27/05 at 9:17 pm

LOL! I've tried doing an impression of him before too, probably not that good though!

Same here. I'm a real softie in that respect, so I loved that - same with finding old friends, etc.

I'm not so sure mine was all that good either, but like I said it was fun and the people I performed infront of enjoyed it.

and I also really enjoyed the family finding things as well.

But you know what my absoulte favorite ones were?

The ones about that long lost friend they only knew for a little while that really helped them through a hard time, and the ones about trying to find the person who saved there life that they never knew.

In fact I remember an episode about a guy that almost drown one day but a woman pulled him to  safety.  when he found her, he thanked her. The ironic thing about it was he was a sort of a big guy, big muscular guy, probably 230 or so. She was a little hotty probably a buck 130 at the most.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/27/05 at 9:48 pm

I was reallly hooked on that show for at least a year, around 1991 and 1992. I used to watch it religously. I remember one specific episode that had that famous psychic Sylvia Browne on it and she was staying the night at the Sunnyvale (California, Near San Jose) Toys R Us because it was supposedly haunted. About 7 years later my friends and I drove to that Sunnyvale Toys R Us to see if that was true, but to no avail, we couldn't find any spooky things about it... :0)

Written By: jarjar23 on 07/28/05 at 4:00 am

I pretty much got into the show in 1998/1999 era (I was in 3rd/4th grade).  They had a new version on UM on CBS and would rerun the classic NBC ones on Lifetime.  I rememebr, during the summer, I would HAVE to watch UM (I think it came on at 12 in the afternoon).  I remember catching it really late, every now and then, and I'd get freaked out.  The whole thrill about watching that show, as a kid, was that I was terrified of it, LOL!  The combination of Robert Stack's voice and that freakin update music crap out of me.  I had this really weird fear of seeing an age-progression picture on UM.  I'd have to change the channel everytime they'd show it.  I don't know why I got so freaked out by that, but I did!  I remember watchiong the new "womanized" episodes on Lifetime (they started in 1999), and I watched em, but years later, I relized that version as not the same as the classic version.  They changed the music to this techno crap, and changed the film of the camera, so it didn't look as eiree.  I don't watch it much anymore, but on occasions, I flip it on.  Brings backs memories.  : )

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/05 at 4:07 am

The combination of Robert Stack's voice and that freakin update music crap out of me.  I had this really weird fear of seeing an age-progression picture on UM.  I'd have to change the channel everytime they'd show it.  I don't know why I got so freaked out by that, but I did!  I remember watchiong the new "womanized" episodes on Lifetime (they started in 1999), and I watched em, but years later, I relized that version as not the same as the classic version.  They changed the music to this techno crap, and changed the film of the camera, so it didn't look as eiree.  I don't watch it much anymore, but on occasions, I flip it on.  Brings backs memories.  : )

haha, that is sooo true Jar Jar. I remember really freaking out about the ghost stuff. I could never sleep after seeing those stories. Robert Stack had such a freaky presence. He was so gritty -  like his character in the "Untouchables."

Written By: BAY AREA THRASHER on 08/01/05 at 12:29 am

I started watching unsolved mysteries when I was 6 years old. I still watch it to this day. The combination of the theme song and robert stack's voice always gave me a scary feeling. He has a very haunting voice. I love the unexplained deaths, missing, wanted, and diabolical minds ones. I remember a lot of the ghosts ones. One I remember was about this lady that was driving through the snowy mountains at night and her car broke down. She was not that far away from her friends so she walked. She passed out because of the freezing weather and lied their face first in the snow. Someone found her and turned her body on her back and her whole body was like a popsicle. Her face scared the **** out of me when I was little. Her eyes were just scary. I also remember the one about the lady who had nervous brakedowns and she would always drive her car for no apparent reason to the mountains and get her car stuck in the mud in the woods. She walked from her car wandering in the woods at night! They haven't found her. When I was 9 years old it came on at 8 pm and 2 am on lifetime. I onced watched it by myself at 2 in the morning and couldn't go to sleep. When I was 7, I had to always bring my dog inside from the backyard and I would imagine a bright white figure of robert stack  standing their in the dark night. I never wanted to bring the dog in.

Sorry about all the words, i'm just feeling nostalgic.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/01/05 at 3:26 pm

I started watching unsolved mysteries when I was 6 years old. I still watch it to this day. The combination of the theme song and robert stack's voice always gave me a scary feeling. He has a very haunting voice. I love the unexplained deaths, missing, wanted, and diabolical minds ones. I remember a lot of the ghosts ones. One I remember was about this lady that was driving through the snowy mountains at night and her car broke down. She was not that far away from her friends so she walked. She passed out because of the freezing weather and lied their face first in the snow. Someone found her and turned her body on her back and her whole body was like a popsicle. Her face scared the **** out of me when I was little. Her eyes were just scary. I also remember the one about the lady who had nervous brakedowns and she would always drive her car for no apparent reason to the mountains and get her car stuck in the mud in the woods. She walked from her car wandering in the woods at night! They haven't found her. When I was 9 years old it came on at 8 pm and 2 am on lifetime. I onced watched it by myself at 2 in the morning and couldn't go to sleep. When I was 7, I had to always bring my dog inside from the backyard and I would imagine a bright white figure of robert stack  standing their in the dark night. I never wanted to bring the dog in.

Sorry about all the words, i'm just feeling nostalgic.

It's funny how certain episodes stick out in your mind. I remmeber certain ones but at this moment I can't put my finger on an exact scene. Unfortunatly, I think my brain has current;y deleted most of those memories to make room for new ones..

Written By: jaypunkchick1 on 08/18/05 at 11:57 pm

i dunno why but that show creeped the sheesh out of me for a long time

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/19/05 at 8:18 am

One of my favorite parts in the film Baseketball, is the spoof of Unsolved Mysteries, with Robert Stack of course!  ;D

"You wanna know where Coop went. Try the place with the most grossly exploitation of children. "
"Scenario number two, Coop went to Disneyworld."

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/22/05 at 3:50 pm

Anyone else into it? Technically it went on the air in 1987, but it mainly ran in the 90's.

I started watching in about 1993. At the time, I was really into cop shows, so I was more drawn in by the "Unexplained Death" and "Wanted" stories, followed by "Lost Loves/Missing Persons" - although I like the entire scope of stories featured.

The psychic and historical ones are always interesting too, for a change of pace.

I prefer the earlier ones (eg: from about 1988-93, with the old-school white lettering intro). Not only is there more of a chance some of those could be solved, but I actually think those were better quality overall. They felt more suspenseful, emotional, etc - yet still managed to be entertaining.

Robert Stack was also a great host - he had a perfect storytelling, slightly "suspenseful" voice (I love that "perhaps....it's you" catchphrase!). ;)

I also liked him from the more comedic movie roles in Airplane and Caddyshack II, so that actually made it even cooler to watch back in the day. I was saddened when he passed away about 2 years ago. :(

I still watch it to tape the reruns and see if there's been any updates.

I only started watching it about a year ago and I like the show, well I watched it on the Prime station on channel 48 at 8:00 until they stopped airing it after Robert Stack died and they need a new host and they need to bring the show back. And yes, some of those composite sketches scared me as well. I actually watch America's Most Wanted and one episode of AMW scared the hell out of me about 2 or 3 years ago when I was staying at my grandparent's place! But the intro music for the TV show Cold Case Files scares the sheesh out of me worse than the intro music for UM.

Written By: mary on 08/22/05 at 4:57 pm

i still watch unsolved mysteries. my days off are sunday and monday and it comes on monday afternoons from 12-2 on lifetime

Written By: annonymouse on 09/26/05 at 10:08 pm

oh man i love this show. deffinataly one of my favorites. i always forget when it comes on. it comes on on life time i know that, im just too lazy too look at the listings

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/05 at 1:07 am

I used to like all the supernatural stories on the show :)

Written By: Erick on 09/27/05 at 3:53 pm

They have the episodes on dvd. On the westcoast it comes on at 12 to 1 and 1 to 2.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 2:51 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 6:17 pm

It's on Lifetime most afternoons if you're home to catch it. When I have been home to see it, it still creeps me out more than a little.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 8:28 pm

I do recall that show, now that you mention it. It was kind of a mix of straight crime and the paranormal. Being obsessed with anything about the paranormal/supernatural, I couldn't get enough of it. Don't remember much of it though, since I was really young. Wish they still had something like that on.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 03/03/06 at 9:14 pm

I loved Unsolved Mysteries when is on NBC (when NBC was in is prime during the 80's-2004) vut I got one question? why did UM changed networks to NBC to CBS?

Written By: audkal on 03/03/06 at 9:19 pm

LOVED Unsolved Mysteries!  My mom said when the creepy music came on my brother would put his hands over his ears and yell "I hate that music!  I hate that music!"....he was like 4 at the time.

Oh btw, MY GRANDMA HAD A CRUSH ON ROBERT STACK!!  Haha!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/04/06 at 2:44 am

Yeah, those and treasure mysterys as well. I alsways wonder how they managed to have "updates" on a new episode which featured that mystery for the first time. How long did that show go on?

It started in 1988 I believe. It seemed to slow down around 1998 or '99 (possibly due to Robert Stack's health getting a bit worse by then :( ) but went on with sporadic new episodes until 2002.

Yeah, I like the updates too (esp. for Missing/Lost Love's), but I always like seeing it in addition to the full story it was for. Sometimes they'd do a quickie in between two full stories, where there was just a brief recount of the original story before updating it. Oftentimes I'd want to see the "full" story even if it was already solved, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...