inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 5 LEAST Favorite Songs of the 90's

Written By: Mac1 on 07/28/05 at 1:30 am

1: "Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie and the Blowfish - 1996

2: "Three Little Pigs" by Green Jelly - 1993

3: "Smooth" by Santana and Rob Thomas - 1999

4: "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix A Lot - 1992

5: "Livin La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin - 1999

Subject: Re: Top 5 LEAST Favorite Songs of the 90's

Written By: woops on 07/28/05 at 2:55 pm

Pre 1997 since there was tons of junk after that year...  :P

From what I've heard.

Thankfully I've never heard any Michael Bolton and don't know any song from Celine Dion, besides the one that was overplayed to the ground in 1997...

I streched the list to 10.  :)

10. Michael Jackson "You Are Not Alone"

9. Ace of Base "The Sign"

8. Color Me Badd "I Adore Mi Amor"

7. Jewel "Who Will Save Your Soul"

6. Tag Team "Whoomp! (There It Is)"

5. Nelson "(Can't Live Without Your) Love & Affection"

4. Wilson Phillips "Hold On"

3. Hootie & The Blowfish "Only Wanna Be With You"

2. Right Said Fred "I'm Too Sexy"

1. Vanilla Ice "Ice, Ice, Baby"

Written By: Margie1988 on 07/29/05 at 9:34 am

Color Me Badd- I wanna sex you up....horrible, any song by Ricky Martin, Mambo Number 5-Lou Vega or whatever his name is, right Said Fred- I'm Too Sexy, and so many others

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/09/05 at 6:32 pm

Celine Dion had a couple of awful hits of the last half of the 1990's (although I hate to admit it -- and wish I didn't -- have some of these on CD's -- what was I thinking at the time? :o) and many of these have some really great lyrics to either mishear or make fun of:

1.  "My Heart Will Go On (from "Titanic")", when Dion sang this song at the 1998 Oscars@, I started to believe it might be a good idea to change the lyrics to, "This Show Will Go On, and ON, and ON!!!" (will it ever end?)

2.  "Because You Loved Me", why would you care?

3.  "Power Of The Dream" (from the Atlanta 1996 Olympics), I remember reading in the Atlanta-Journal Constitution at the time, that at the opening ceremonies some guy told his wife he thought the lyrics Dion was singing was, "... the power of the scream!"  ;D; this husband only knew the real lyrics when that little girl sang it at the closing ceremonies.     

Thought of one more from Dion, from the late 1990's:

4.  "It's All Coming Back To Me, Now"; I have been wondering lately if this had more to do with some acid reflux problem Dion suffered from?

And one from Shania Twain that I can do without:

5.  "You Make Me Feel Like A Woman", of course that commercial where the guy is in the back of the car with his friends and he starts singing the lyrics is a really funny commercial.  But of course this was just a very annoying song, IMNSHO.     

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/10/05 at 12:39 am

1. "Just A Friend" by some artist, I forgot his name. Ugh, I can't believe we liked his off-tune singing!

2. "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred. Just plain cheese! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeww!

3. "You Are Not Alone" by Michael Jackson. Michael, please, cover up. I really don't like seeing your chest in that video.

4. "Smooth" by Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas. Sheesh, this song is still overplayed on soft rock stations after 6 years.

5. TIE "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion and any song by Michael Bolton. For "Heart" see number 4 and change 6 years to 8. as for Michael Bolton, I HATED HIS HAIR!!! Thank goodness he got a haircut!

Written By: ADH13 on 08/10/05 at 1:15 am

1. Shiny Happy People - REM

2. Rape Me - Nirvana

3. Strokin - ??

4. No Rain - Blind Melon

5. Man I Feel Like A Woman - Shania Twain

and sooooooo many runners up... I could go on forever :)

Written By: SpaceHog on 08/10/05 at 9:56 am

1. "Just A Friend" by some artist, I forgot his name. Ugh, I can't believe we liked his off-tune singing!

2. "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred. Just plain cheese! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeww!

3. "You Are Not Alone" by Michael Jackson. Michael, please, cover up. I really don't like seeing your chest in that video.

4. "Smooth" by Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas. Sheesh, this song is still overplayed on soft rock stations after 6 years.

5. TIE "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion and any song by Michael Bolton. For "Heart" see number 4 and change 6 years to 8. as for Michael Bolton, I HATED HIS HAIR!!! Thank goodness he got a haircut!

That song "Just a friend", was sung by Biz Markie.

Here are my top 11.

1.) Crystal Waters- 100% pure love.

2.) Two in a room-Wiggle it.

3.) Green Jelly- 3 Little Pigs.

4.) Outherre Brothers-Boom Boom.

5.) Culture Beat-Mr. Vain.

6.) Ricky Martin-Livin Lavida Crazy.

7.) Marc Antony- I need To Know.

8.) Wilson Phillips-Hold On.

9.) Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch- Good Vibrations.

10.) Lou Bega- Mambo #5

11.) drumroll please!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the top worst song of the 90s is: Calloway- I wanna Be Rich

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/12/05 at 7:30 am

my top 5:

1) I'll Be Your Everything - Tommy Page

2) just about any Michael Bolton song would fit here

3) My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion

4) any song by Britney, NSync, or Backstreet Boys

5) Last Kiss - Pearl Jam

(I would include 'Who Let the Dogs Out' but that one came out in 2000.)

Written By: jaypunkchick1 on 08/18/05 at 11:42 pm

god theres so many

Written By: Kim E on 08/21/05 at 12:44 am

Really? "I'm Too Sexy" is CHEESY? If you ask me anything about that song that could be mistaken for cheese was on purpose. They really didn't mean any of it, and joked about the song in interviews. It's just one big joke, right?? AM I INSANE!?!?

Written By: zcrito on 08/21/05 at 2:12 am

1. Shiny Happy People - REM

2. Rape Me - Nirvana

3. Strokin - ??

4. No Rain - Blind Melon

5. Man I Feel Like A Woman - Shania Twain

and sooooooo many runners up... I could go on forever :)

3. Strokin - ??
You mean the 1981 song by Clarence "Patches (I'm depending on you, son)" Carter ??

Written By: ADH13 on 08/21/05 at 2:22 am

3. Strokin - ??
You mean the 1981 song by Clarence "Patches (I'm depending on you, son)" Carter ??

That was 1981?!?!  I never heard it until the 90's.  It was on the jukebox where I used to shoot darts...  that's news to me.  And it sure as heck doesn't sound 80's to me.

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/21/05 at 1:04 pm

lol all marky marks sucked ;D who knew he would turn out to be a good actor ;) hes mark whalberg you know

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/22/05 at 3:23 pm

1. All 4 One's "I Swear" (this song was out when I was about 3 years old, but hearing it now, it's awful!)

2. That song with some guy yelling "I want to move it move it!"

3. Most hip hop songs from the early mid 90s were pretty bad except for songs by Black Box and CC Music Factory.

I actually liked that Green Jelly song even though I don't really like 90s or 00s punk rock! I heard it on the MuchMusic show "One Hit Wonders" only once but I'm wondering when they'll play that epidsode again!

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/22/05 at 3:29 pm

I think you are thinking of the early 1990's tune (1992), "Move This" by Technotric; where the guy sings, "You've got To Move This, You've got to Move That, Move your body for me."

I agree the lyrics are pretty lame.  But I did like the beat to "Move This" and do love to dance to it.

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/22/05 at 4:11 pm

I think you are thinking of the early 1990's tune (1992), "Move This" by Technotric; where the guy sings, "You've got To Move This, You've got to Move That, Move your body for me."

I agree the lyrics are pretty lame.  But I did like the beat to "Move This" and do love to dance to it.

Thanks so much!  :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/22/05 at 4:48 pm

I agree the lyrics are pretty lame. But I did like the beat to "Move This" and do love to dance to it.

:-\\ nnnnnnoooo, I don't think that's the right song... I think it's actually "I like to move it" by Reel 2 Real feat. The Mad Stuntman (1994).

There's a whole thread on this board about that song, by the way... ;)

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/24/05 at 1:23 pm

What's the name of the thread?  :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/24/05 at 3:13 pm

Top 5 LEAST Favorite Songs of the 90's

8)

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/05 at 3:33 pm

In no particular order (I hate all of these songs equally LOL)

My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Jeremy - Pearl Jam
Lump - Presidents of the United States of America
Adia - Sarah McLachlan

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/14/05 at 9:52 am

1. All 4 One's "I Swear" (this song was out when I was about 3 years old, but hearing it now, it's awful!)

3. Most hip hop songs from the early mid 90s were pretty bad except for songs by Black Box and CC Music Factory.

I actually liked that Green Jelly song even though I don't really like 90s or 00s punk rock! I heard it on the MuchMusic show "One Hit Wonders" only once but I'm wondering when they'll play that epidsode again!
  I REALLY AGREE WITH UR LISTAND I TOO LIKED THE SONG FORM GREEN JELLO, THEY  made them change their name cause Jello didnt want to be connected with them... LOL  funny, That group was from the city im from ... Buffalo.... <no wonder they tanked> LOL... I hated all the POP from the 90's  it was so bad, the stuff from now is worse so thet doesnt say much for POP music these days................ :P

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/14/05 at 10:05 am

Sorry I missed this earlier on. :-[  The thread is called "I like to move it".

Written By: Criz on 09/14/05 at 12:40 pm

There are too many!! How can I narrow it down??

1. 'Dance the Night Away' a band whose name I have forgotton - I must have repressed that memory as the song so so so unbelievably awful. And I'm usually very good with remebering song titles/artists, so its saying something :P

2. Would I Lie To You by Charles and Eddie - so cheesy!

3. Puff Daddy - I'll Be Missing you - Talk about slaughtering an original.

4. Rhythm of the Night by Corona

5. Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex

Oh, and anything Guns and Roses ever touched - I may get bashed for this but I don't care - they sucked!!

Written By: whistledog on 09/14/05 at 2:09 pm

Oh, and anything Guns and Roses ever touched - I may get bashed for this but I don't care - they sucked!!

I'm with you all the way.  GnR did suck.  I can listen to some of their 80's songs, but it wouldn't be by choice.  LOL :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/14/05 at 3:12 pm

There are too many!! How can I narrow it down??

1. 'Dance the Night Away' a band whose name I have forgotton - I must have repressed that memory as the song so so so unbelievably awful. And I'm usually very good with remebering song titles/artists, so its saying something :P

Must be the Mavericks. ::)

Written By: Criz on 09/14/05 at 5:19 pm

Must be the Mavericks. ::)

Thanks for reminding me. Or should I say no thanks  :P That damn song is now playing in my head - make it stop PLEASE make it stop!

Written By: MaryMary on 09/15/05 at 9:13 pm

hehe.

I was in Coconuts shopping for CDs years ago and I asked the guard what song was being played over the store's PA system. He rolled his eyes and said "Real McCoy." It was "Another Night", which I thought was catchy the first few times I heard it. Then I started rolling my eyes too.

My pick for most annoying song of the 90s is "My Heart Will Go On". I also have come to dislike "And I Will Always Love You." I like Whitney but she beat that song within an inch of its life.
Also that song by Sugar Ray that was played, like, 99,000 times a day on the radio. Oh yeah, and "The Macarena".

I can't think of any more, sorry!

wheezy 

Written By: Criz on 09/16/05 at 5:40 am

hehe.

I was in Coconuts shopping for CDs years ago and I asked the guard what song was being played over the store's PA system. He rolled his eyes and said "Real McCoy." It was "Another Night", which I thought was catchy the first few times I heard it. Then I started rolling my eyes too.

wheezy 

You know, I don't mind that one -brings back memories! As does 'Love and Devotion' - but that one's worse now looking back!! :)

Written By: cables on 09/17/05 at 9:38 am

1. Wannabee, The Spice Girls (I can't believe that's not been nominated yet - and why isn't there a vomiting emoticon to go alongside it?)

2 - 5. Pick any four other Spice Girls songs.

Written By: zcrito on 09/17/05 at 2:46 pm

1. Wannabee, The Spice Girls (I can't believe that's not been nominated yet - and why isn't there a vomiting emoticon to go alongside it?)

2 - 5. Pick any four other Spice Girls songs.

I always thought "Say You'll Be There" and "Mama" off their first album were great songs. "Wannabee" was unique for the first 2 weeks (which was early 1997, here in the U.S.) and then got overplayed from then on.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/05 at 11:51 am

Rock 'em Sock 'em Techno - BKS featuring Don Cherry

It wasn't really a awful song, but just one that makes you question how it was ever released as a single.  I used really like BKS, but who ever told Don Cherry that he could rap?  He's got a big mouth for hockey, but rapping just isn't his thing.  I don't know if it was meant as a comedy song or not, but it sure did make me laugh  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...