inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Year of the 90's for Music?

Written By: Mac1 on 08/13/05 at 8:11 pm

Out of the Entire Decade of the 90's, which Year would you say was the Best for Music?

For me, I would definately go with 1995. Here are some Good Songs from 1995

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer

"Lightning Crashes" by Live

"Kiss From a Rose" by Seal

"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2

"Water Runs Dry" by Boyz II Men

"You Gotta Be (Love Will Save the Day)" by Des'ree

"Waterfalls" by TLC

"Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio

"Too Hot" by Coolio

"You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something

"I Believe" by Blessid Union of Souls

"Let Me Be The One" by Blessid Union of Souls

"Roll To Me" by Dell Amitri

"Back for Good" by Take That

"December" by Collective Soul

"When I Come Around" by Green Day

"Boombastic" by Shaggy

"As I Lay Me Down To Sleep" by Sophie B. Hawkins

"Missing" by Everything But The Girl

I could go on forever. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Best Year of the 90's for Music?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 9:15 pm

I liked ANY year where Grunge or Hard Rock dominated the Pariah Carey/Back Door Boys/Celine Dion ect. Crapfest :D :)

Written By: Woops (There He Went) on 08/13/05 at 11:08 pm

1990 to 1997  8)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/13/05 at 11:37 pm

1993-1996.

Written By: tv on 08/13/05 at 11:54 pm

1994-1996. 97 was good and 98 was alright as well. Though I think the mid 90's(94-96) was the best era for 90's music.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/14/05 at 12:53 am

1991 and 1994 are a tie for me. Those two years had some great songs - at least for me :0)

Here are some examples -

Stars - Simply Red

Motownphilly - Boyz II Men

What About Your Friends - TLC

Weather With You - Crowded House

1994 -

Laid - James

Don't Turn Around - Ace of Base

I'll Remember - Madonna

All I Wanna Do (is Have some Fun) - Sheryl Crow

Always - Erasure

Written By: bbigd04 on 08/14/05 at 3:24 am

I'm going to say 1996, followed by 1995.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/14/05 at 5:21 am

I'm going to go with 1992 and not just because of the music.  It was my best year to work on political campaigns (with yes, helping Bill Clinton and the rest of the Democrats -- although not all of them, won, in my birth state of Florida -- the Tampa Bay area -- many did very well -- surprising many pundits) and also during the campaigns that year I got to meet actress, Valerie Harper and Harper told me I favored the actor I salute to the left of your screens:  Harley Venton (so that made this year a lot better).

But to wit the songs out that year:

"Lithium" by Nirvana
"These Are Days" by 10,000 Maniacs
"Constant Craving" by kd lang
"Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough" by Patty Smith with Don Henley
"Walking On Broken Glass" by Annie Lenox
"Drive" by R.E.M.
"Rhythm Is A Dancer" by Snap
"Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" by Spin Doctors
"Life Is A Highway" by Tom Cochrane
"Friday I'm In Love" by The Cure
Both:  "The One" by Elton John &
          "One" by U2
"Mysterious Ways" also by U2
"This Used To Be My Playground" by Madonna
"Free Your Mind" by En Vogue
"Finally" by CeCe Peniston
"How Do You Talk To An Angel" by The Heights
"End Of The Road" by Boyz II Men
"Jump" by Kriss Kross
"Save The Best For Last" by Vanessa Williams
"Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton
"My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)" also by En Vogue
"Under The Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"To Be With You" by Mr. Big
"Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus
"Da*mn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" by Sophie B. Hawkins  :D
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" also by Nirvana
"Diamonds & Pearls" by Prince & The New Power Generation
"Move This" by Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K
"Would I Lie To You?" by Charles & Eddie
"Stay" by Shakespeare's Sister
"Am I The Same Girl" by Swing Out Sister
"Church Of Logic, Sin & Love" by the Men
"Everything About You" by Ugly Kid Joe
"When I Look Into Your Eyes" by Firehouse
"Where You Goin' Now" by Damn Yankees
"You Won't See Me Cry" by Wilson Phillips
"Tennessee" & "People Everyday" both by Arrested Development
"Masterpiece" by Atlantic Starr
"Mama I'm Comin' Home" by Ozzy Osbourne
"Love Is On The Way" by Saigon Kick
"Real Love" by Mary J. Blige
"November Rain" by Guns N' Roses
acoustic version of "Layla" by Eric Clapton
"Creep" by Radiohead
"Just Another Day" by Jon Secada
"If You Asked Me To" by Celine Dion
"If I Ever Fall In Love" by Shai
"Jump Around" by House Of Pain
"I'd Die Without You" by P.M. Dawn
"The Unforgiven" & "Nothing Else Matters" both by Metallica
"I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt
"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
"Human Touch" by Bruce Springsteen
"I Love Your Smile" by Shanice
"Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad?" & "Make Love Like A Man" by Def Leppard
"I Can't Dance" & "Hold On My Heart" by Genesis
"Good For Me" by Amy Grant
"How About That" by Bad Company
"Hazard" by Richard Marx
"Even Better Than The Real Thing" yet another song by U2
"Come As You Are" yet another song by Nirvana
"Everything Changes" by Kathy Troccoli
"Breakin' My Heart (Pretty Brown Eyes)" by Mint Condition
"All 4 Love" by Color Me Badd
"2 Legit 2 Quit" by Hammer
"Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot (granted this was a holdover from 1991, but didn't got to #1 on Billboard Magazine's Hot 100 charts until early in 1992)
"Too Much Passion" by The Smithereens
"What About Your Friends" by TLC
"The Way I Feel About You" by Karyn White
"Too Funky" by George Michael

To name some of the songs that were out that year.  I also think this list shows how diverse in musical styles the charts were that year.

Added more songs from 1992 to support my claim about this year being the best in music.

A close second year would have to be Clinton's re-election year, 1996 (and again not just because of the music -- although the music did help -- especially considering that was the big breakout year for Oasis and they had a hit with my favorite song of the 1990's, "Champaign Supernova").   

For Christ sake this board won't let me post the correct first word for Sophie B. Hawkins tune.  That's just sooooooooooo vapidly stupid  ;D, because it was sooooooooooooo much a part of the title of the song and the lyrics and it's also part of the reason why it did so well.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/14/05 at 11:51 am

I'm going to go with 1992 and not just because of the music.  It was my best year to work on political campaigns (with yes, helping Bill Clinton and the rest of the Democrats -- although not all of them, won, in my birth state of Florida -- the Tampa Bay area -- many did very well -- surprising many pundits) and also during the campaigns that year I got to meet actress, Valerie Harper and Harper told me I favored the actor I salute to the left of your screens:   Harley Venton (so that made this year a lot better).

Kudos to you with choosing 1992.

I almost went for 1992 because there were a ton of songs I liked from that year, but I was too tired to think of all of them - your list confirmed that 1992 was also a great year in music.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/14/05 at 11:53 am

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/14/05 at 2:57 pm

Kudos to you with choosing 1992.

I almost went for 1992 because there were a ton of songs I liked from that year, but I was too tired to think of all of them - your list confirmed that 1992 was also a great year in music.

I'm glad you liked the music of 1992, too.  Although I'm still miffed, >:( that the message board's administrators' won't let me type in that first word to that great Sophie B. Hawkins tune.

I do believe it seems kind of fascinating to me that all the years that I favor in music, since I was born:  1963 and those years would be:  1964, 1970, 1974, 1976, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1992, 1996, 1998 & 2000 were all election years that the Democrats did well in or at least held their own.  There's some hint there, IMHO.  Probably the only three years that rule would be an exception are all in the 1960's:  1965 - 1967.  Otherwise all the years have some hits, but many more other songs that missed with me.  ;)

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 08/14/05 at 6:37 pm

Will you be there (Free Willy soundtrack)-Michael Jackson

Freak me-Silk

River of dreams-Billy Joel

Informer-Snow

Don't turn around-Ace of Base

(you will always be) Beautiful in my eyes-Joshua Kadison

Written By: AusDancer on 08/15/05 at 2:07 am

Well I thought about this for awhile and then ask some record industry buddies what they thought.

and halfway through 1995 polled as the most liked years for music.

I also asked some other friends and one responded with probably the best answer.

Remember where you were? Remember the songs? Remember the clubs? The people around you?
You have your answer.  :-\\

I was rather non-plused when this answer came in via text. But strangely it made the most sense.
So I have to say years 1991-1994 were the best for music.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/15/05 at 2:11 am

1990-1995

followed by 1996

All in all, I'd say either 1994 or 1995.  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/16/05 at 3:28 pm

I'm glad you liked the music of 1992, too.  Although I'm still miffed, >:( that the message board's administrators' won't let me type in that first word to that great Sophie B. Hawkins tune.

I do believe it seems kind of fascinating to me that all the years that I favor in music, since I was born:  1963 and those years would be:  1964, 1970, 1974, 1976, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1992, 1996, 1998 & 2000 were all election years that the Democrats did well in or at least held their own.  There's some hint there, IMHO.  Probably the only three years that rule would be an exception are all in the 1960's:  1965 - 1967.  Otherwise all the years have some hits, but many more other songs that missed with me.  ;)

I really liked that song by Sophie B. Hawkins in 1992 - you know, the naughty one with the naughty word, lol. I thought I was bad for liking it because we weren't allowed to swear much, but it was my little secret for liking it and singing to it.

That is a strange conincidence that all the election years that the Democrats did well were your favorite years in music. It's strange because I have noticed a trend that a good portion of the "odd" years have been my favorite years in music. 1963, being one..

Written By: cami on 08/16/05 at 3:57 pm

Wasn't "Stay" by Lisa Loeb?

Written By: nally on 08/16/05 at 3:59 pm

Wasn't "Stay" by Lisa Loeb?

Yes, Cami. Lisa Loeb had a song called "Stay" (actually, "Stay (I Missed You)"). But so did a group called Shakespear's Sister, in 1992. Same title, different song.

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/16/05 at 4:43 pm

Yes, Cami. Lisa Loeb had a song called "Stay" (actually, "Stay (I Missed You)"). But so did a group called Shakespear's Sister, in 1992. Same title, different song.

And Shakespear's Sister was a "solo project" of Bananarama, right?

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/16/05 at 5:04 pm

Yes this is partly true. Siobhan Fahey, formerly of Bananarama, was one of the members of this English-Irish group. (That was until she split from the group in 1993 and admitted herself to a psychiatric institute for major depression). 

The group's name came from a Smiths' song, that before that referred to a passage in English author, Virginia Woolf's book, A Room Of One's Own where she had referred to the author portrayed in that book as a compatriot of William Shakespeare's or Shakespeare's Sister

The "Stay" by Shakespeare's Sister was the biggest hit this group had reaching #1 in both Ireland and the U.K. and reaching #4 in the U.S.  For that person who was confused as to whether I meant Lisa Loeb's "Stay (I Missed You)" if you live near an alternative music radio station or if you can find one to listen to on the internet, such as Atlanta's 99X, just make an e-mail request or phone in a request (especially like with the Steve show {10 am to 3 pm on 99X) and his Retro Lunch}) and I'm fairly certain they will play it for you, so you can find out the difference between the two songs.     

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/16/05 at 6:00 pm

1991 was the best year for album releases. GNR, Metallica, Soundgarden, Skid Row, Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog, The Four Horsemen, The Black Crowes, Ziggy Marley. Could you possibly ask for anything more??

Written By: nally on 08/16/05 at 10:16 pm

Yes this is partly true. Siobhan Fahey, formerly of Bananarama, was one of the members of this English-Irish group. (That was until she split from the group in 1993 and admitted herself to a psychiatric institute for major depression).

The group's name came from a Smiths' song, that before that referred to a passage in English author, Virginia Woolf's book, A Room Of One's Own where she had referred to the author portrayed in that book as a compatriot of William Shakespeare's or Shakespeare's Sister.

The "Stay" by Shakespeare's Sister was the biggest hit this group had reaching #1 in both Ireland and the U.K. and reaching #4 in the U.S. For that person who was confused as to whether I meant Lisa Loeb's "Stay (I Missed You)" if you live near an alternative music radio station or if you can find one to listen to on the internet, such as Atlanta's 99X, just make an e-mail request or phone in a request (especially like with the Steve show {10 am to 3 pm on 99X) and his Retro Lunch}) and I'm fairly certain they will play it for you, so you can find out the difference between the two songs.

Yeah... Siobahn Fahey, who was with Bananarama, split from the group to form Shakespear's Sister; I do believe they were a one hit wonder (at least in the U.S.).

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/17/05 at 2:29 am

Yeah... Siobahn Fahey, who was with Bananarama, split from the group to form Shakespear's Sister; I do believe they were a one hit wonder (at least in the U.S.).

Actually several years before Siobhan joined with the rest of the group named Shakespeare's Sister, Bananarama had already called it quits.  This was shotly after the success of their 1987 smash with the theme from the movie "Orderlies", "I Heard A Rumour".  After that song was released Bananarama seemed to run out of steam and just couldn't seem to come up with another hit.  And Bananarama just went their seperate ways.

Later in 1991, the group Shakespeare's Sister was having trouble selling any singles (I do believe at that time this group was mainly composed of English musicians), so I further believe that they asked Siobhan to join them, which she agreed to do so and they also hired another Irish born singer, I forget the name of that singer.

They did release two albums, but only the one that contained "Stay" was released in the U.S.  They did have two more minor hits in England. 

But it wasn't that Siobhan split from Bananarama.

Again, it was that Siobhan was, in 1993, diagnosed with severe depression and voluntarily checked herself into a psychiatric hospital for treatment thus abandoning the Shakespeare's Sister project.  The rest of the group a little later also disbanded..

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/17/05 at 6:02 am

Despite my love/hate/love again relationship with the 90s at times, I actually like quite a bit from my pre-high school years (before 1997 - which is also when the first waves of the teenpop and other today-ish stuff began washing ashore).

However, I'm right there with all who mentioned 1992! That was clearly the most "exciting" year musically. Despite that it was far more "90s" in style, it still had enough 80s hanging around, so that even the newer artists had a bit of a late 80's sound (1991 was more on the "80s" side of the same split).

Everything from power ballads (To Be With You), to pop alternative (Little Miss Can't Be Wrong), to still decent/silly rap (Baby Got Back), to sweet and pretty pop (Just Another Day), to classic rock (Life is a Highway) and much more was going on.

I wish the whole 90s took more of a cue from '92! ;)

I really liked that song by Sophie B. Hawkins in 1992 - you know, the naughty one with the naughty word, lol. I thought I was bad for liking it because we weren't allowed to swear much, but it was my little secret for liking it and singing to it.

I completely forgot about that until I read your post! :)

She had another hit a couple years later which still gets airplay now - a pretty and calm ballad "As I Lay Me Down". That's the one I listen to way more, so I'd forgotten about that somewhat edgier hit. Oddly I wasn't that surprised to hear the "cuss" word, but looking back now I wonder if that's why it's sort of been forgotten and why As I Lay Me Down has gotten all the attention since then?

I watched VH1 alot (I mean really ALOT!) in those days so I saw the video a couple times - I now remember thinking she was a hottie (I was a 10 or 11 year old kid, what do you expect, lol). :D

That is a strange conincidence that all the election years that the Democrats did well were your favorite years in music. It's strange because I have noticed a trend that a good portion of the "odd" years have been my favorite years in music. 1963, being one..

That's pretty much how I feel about too - especially about the 80's. 81, 83, 85 and 87 were my favorite years of the decade. Same with 77 and 79 for the 70's, and 1991 and 95 for the 90's.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/17/05 at 7:12 am

1.  I wish the whole 90s took more of a cue from '92! ;)

2.  She had another hit a couple years later which still gets airplay now - a pretty and calm ballad "As I Lay Me Down". That's the one I listen to way more, so I'd forgotten about that somewhat edgier hit. Oddly I wasn't that surprised to hear the "cuss" word, but looking back now I wonder if that's why it's sort of been forgotten and why As I Lay Me Down has gotten all the attention since then?

3.  I watched VH1 alot (I mean really ALOT!) in those days so I saw the video a couple times - I now remember thinking she was a hottie (I was a 10 or 11 year old kid, what do you expect, lol). :D

1.  AMEN!!! to that statement.

2.  I have never been fond of that hit, over the song with the naughty "cuss" word in it's title and that she kept on singing.  I always have thought the hit you mentioned was waaaaaaaaay to saccarine a hit for her (I have wondered if she might have been having trouble with her handlers at that point and say record executives and her manager telling her she needed to water things down).  Another song of Sophie's I enjoyed a great deal besides the "cuss" word song came out, the year before 1992, in 1991:  "Right Beside You", now that was a great tune as well as the one with the "cuss" word in the title.  Very edgy like the other song with the "cuss" word in the title.  I love it though when a radio station plays the one with the "cuss" word in the title -- I'll have to see if Steve from Atlanta's 99X will play it one day for the Retroshow lunch.  Okay correction, "Right Besides You" came out in 1994 on the same album as the saccarine hit song.  (But you know what track I like to listen to, obviously).

3.  Well at the time VH1 was playing her videos a great deal, including for the more saccarine hit, I was 28 - 31 years old and I had the hots for her, too!!!  :D  Sophie B. Hawkins is one hot looking woman.  (You'd have to be brain dead not to think she was). 

If you go to her website:  www.sophiebhawkins.com, you can see why many think she is so sexy, especially on her live videos (From 2001) of the song, "Da*mn I Wish I Was Your Lover". 

Written By: nally on 08/17/05 at 12:28 pm

Actually several years before Siobhan joined with the rest of the group named Shakespeare's Sister, Bananarama had already called it quits.  This was shotly after the success of their 1987 smash with the theme from the movie "Orderlies", "I Heard A Rumour".  After that song was released Bananarama seemed to run out of steam and just couldn't seem to come up with another hit.  And Bananarama just went their seperate ways.

Later in 1991, the group Shakespeare's Sister was having trouble selling any singles (I do believe at that time this group was mainly composed of English musicians), so I further believe that they asked Siobhan to join them, which she agreed to do so and they also hired another Irish born singer, I forget the name of that singer.

They did release two albums, but only the one that contained "Stay" was released in the U.S.  They did have two more minor hits in England. 

But it wasn't that Siobhan split from Bananarama.

Again, it was that Siobhan was, in 1993, diagnosed with severe depression and voluntarily checked herself into a psychiatric hospital for treatment thus abandoning the Shakespeare's Sister project.  The rest of the group a little later also disbanded..

Well I just said split because I thought she left the band.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/17/05 at 2:53 pm

Well I just said split because I thought she left the band.

I hope you didn't think I was being mean about making sure I got things corrected, nally.  I just wanted to make sure it was well established that Bananarama had called it quits several years before Siobhan joined Shakespeare's Sister and she just wasn't mad at the other two girls in the original more famous group.

Written By: Mac1 on 08/17/05 at 3:14 pm

Can we Stay on Topic, Please?

Written By: nally on 08/17/05 at 4:28 pm

I hope you didn't think I was being mean about making sure I got things corrected, nally.  I just wanted to make sure it was well established that Bananarama had called it quits several years before Siobhan joined Shakespeare's Sister and she just wasn't mad at the other two girls in the original more famous group.

It's quite all right. ;) I read about the whole deal with them calling it quits, etc.. Whatever they did is fine with me.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/17/05 at 9:15 pm

Can we Stay on Topic, Please?

I agree with you Mac, but sorry if we had to go off on a tangent of any kind.  But the difference between "Stay (I Missed You)" by Lisa Loeb and "Stay" by Shakespeare's Sister had to be cleared up.

Although I'm sticking by my guns that 1992 was the best and most  8) of the years of the 1990's in music.

Written By: nally on 08/17/05 at 10:44 pm

Oingo Boingo also had a song called "Stay", but that one was from the 80's. Nuff said.

Back on topic...

It's kinda hard for me to decide which year from 1990-99 was the best for music, but I do remember that I began listening to music regularly in early 1994. That would be one of my top choices, since I enjoyed Ace Of Base's music.

The early 1990's had some great music, but I didn't know very much of it at the time it was popular (like Cathy Dennis' "Too Many Walls" 8) :D ... Black Crowes' "Hard To Handle" ... and Swing Out Sister's "Am I The Same Girl" among others).

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/18/05 at 1:23 am

but I do remember that I began listening to music regularly in early 1994

That's Basically the same for me

When I was a Kid in the Very Early 90's, I only listened to Cassette Tapes that my Mother had Bought me, like MC Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'em" and Michael Jackson's "Dangerous"

But the First Song I really remember hearing regularly on the Radio was "Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms (I guess that was around 1993), but I don't remember really getting into the Radio Craze untill maybe Late 94 when I constantly kept hearing "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden on the Rock Stations because my Friend was obsessed with that song

I believe that 1995 was the Best time for Music (In My Opinion), and it was fun back then watching MTV every Saturday and then going out to play with my Friends

1997 wasn't that bad either, alot of you will probably disagree because you think that 1997 started the downfall of music, but since I was only 11 in 1997, I remember the Music so well and it rings back to my childhood

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/18/05 at 1:38 am

That's Basically the same for me

When I was a Kid in the Very Early 90's, I only listened to Cassette Tapes that my Mother had Bought me, like MC Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'em" and Michael Jackson's "Dangerous"

But the First Song I really remember hearing regularly on the Radio was "Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms (I guess that was around 1993), but I don't remember really getting into the Radio Craze untill maybe Late 94 when I constantly kept hearing "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden on the Rock Stations because my Friend was obsessed with that song

I believe that 1995 was the Best time for Music (In My Opinion), and it was fun back then watching MTV every Saturday and then going out to play with my Friends

1997 wasn't that bad either, alot of you will probably disagree because you think that 1997 started the downfall of music, but since I was only 11 in 1997, I remember the Music so well and it rings back to my childhood

It's okay to have thought 1997 was a good year for music for you.... if it brings back good memories, that's all that matters :0)

I was 11 in 1993 so I liked a different breed of artists around that age.

Written By: nally on 08/18/05 at 3:08 pm

I was 13 in 1993 but didn't listen to a great deal of music then.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/18/05 at 7:19 pm

I was 13 in 1993 but didn't listen to a great deal of music then.

Well, I was 30 years old (okay, 29 going on 30 -- my birthday is in November -- yeah, I'm a Scorpio) in 1993, and well I didn't always listen to the same amount of pop music then as I even did say the previous year of 1992.

There is something odd how that goes age wise, what you will listen to and what you won't at certain ages.

But I have noticed I have similiar taste in music as ultraviolet does when he was only 11 years old in 1993.

And now I'm 41 and he's I'm supposing (but feel free to correct me ultraviolet) is 23. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/19/05 at 12:37 am

Well, I was 30 years old (okay, 29 going on 30 -- my birthday is in November -- yeah, I'm a Scorpio) in 1993, and well I didn't always listen to the same amount of pop music then as I even did say the previous year of 1992.

There is something odd how that goes age wise, what you will listen to and what you won't at certain ages.

But I have noticed I have similiar taste in music as ultraviolet does when he was only 11 years old in 1993.

And now I'm 41 and he's I'm supposing (but feel free to correct me ultraviolet) is 23.   

Yeah, I did like the same music as you, it appears - ohh, but let me correct something real quick.. just so no one else gets confused - but I'm a she :0)  I'm all girlly girl everyone.. really, I am :0)  ;D

Written By: chaka on 08/19/05 at 4:54 am

I liked ANY year where Grunge or Hard Rock dominated the Pariah Carey/Back Door Boys/Celine Dion ect. Crapfest :D :)

Now thats VERY well said  8)  ;)

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/19/05 at 5:25 am

Yeah, I did like the same music as you, it appears - ohh, but let me correct something real quick.. just so no one else gets confused - but I'm a she :0)  I'm all girlly girl everyone.. really, I am :0)  ;D

Thank you for clearing that up.  :D 

That would only happen, of course, on the internet. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/19/05 at 1:14 pm

Thank you for clearing that up.  :D 

That would only happen, of course, on the internet. ;D

It's quite alright - lol :0)  ;)

Written By: green_dragon on 08/19/05 at 1:54 pm

I'm really partial to music from 1997.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/19/05 at 9:23 pm

It's the same with me - I was 11 for most of 1993 and listened to a combination of the 80's/older music I'd already "grown up" grown up on, and some of the more pop-oriented new stuff. To be honest -- and this probably is unusual for a guy, especially at the beginning of adolescence -- my favorite 90s music tended to be ballads and poppy love songs.

I also liked some of the more 'happy' alternative rockers, like Green Day and Collective Soul.

OFF-NOTE: As for the gender thing, that reminds me of something funny - on the main BTTF board I've been going to for a couple years, I have an avatar of 1955 Lorraine. Well, tons of people thought I was a girl for a long time, so it's kind of a long running joke among us, hehe.

In fact, one of my best buddies from there (who's in Australia) has said before of me, "I used to flirt with him a bit until I found out he was a bloke." ;D

Written By: tv on 08/20/05 at 7:19 pm

It's the same with me - I was 11 for most of 1993 and listened to a combination of the 80's/older music I'd already "grown up" grown up on, and some of the more pop-oriented new stuff. To be honest -- and this probably is unusual for a guy, especially at the beginning of adolescence -- my favorite 90s music tended to be ballads and poppy love songs.

I also liked some of the more 'happy' alternative rockers, like Green Day and Collective Soul.

That is weird for a guy to be into puppy love songs at that age. I used to laugh at that type of music when I was like 14-15 years old. Now I am into more mellow stuff. I guess you mature as you get older in terms of musical tastes. On a side note one of the posters on these boards thought I was a girl for sure. They were stunned to find out I was a guy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 7:33 pm

That is weird for a guy to be into puppy love songs at that age. I used to laugh at that type of music when I was like 14-15 years old. Now I am into more mellow stuff. I guess you mature as you get older in terms of musical tastes. On a side note one of the posters on these boards thought I was a girl for sure. They were stunned to find out I was a guy.

Oh yeah, I'd have never admitted listening to a Michael Bolton song at that age for the life of me. ;D

I think I latched onto those kind of songs in the 90s, since alot of 80's songs had a melodic ballad-type sound - ranging from prom-type rock love songs (Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Journey) to softer pop (Toto, Christopher Cross) to hard rock power ballads (Aerosmith, Poison).

Some random 90s ballad faves offhand include:

I Can Love You Like That - All 4 One
If You Go - Jon Secada
Hero - Mariah Carey
I'll be Your Everything - Tommy Page (more an 80's holdover from 1990 - pretty song, though)
From a Distance - Bette Midler
Let Her Cry - Hootie & the Blowfish
I Believe - Blessid Union of Souls
Everyday - Phil Collins
When I Come Around - GreenDay (not a "ballad" ballad, but still)
Kiss From a Rose - Seal
Love is All Around - Wet Wet Wet
Anything from Wilson Philips and Amy Grant

However, I also liked Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Tom Petty and Van Halen, so it balanced out somewhat! ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 7:56 pm

OFF-NOTE: As for the gender thing, that reminds me of something funny - on the main BTTF board I've been going to for a couple years, I have an avatar of 1955 Lorraine. Well, tons of people thought I was a girl for a long time, so it's kind of a long running joke among us, hehe.

In fact, one of my best buddies from there (who's in Australia) has said before of me, "I used to flirt with him a bit until I found out he was a bloke." ;D

I'd agree I was into very similiar music as you were. I was 11 for about 7 months of 1993 ( I turned 11 in May of that year,) so I think we're on the same page there. I tended to like the more current stuff at that age. I didn't like hardly anything from the 80's at that time (I did when I was growing up in the 80's, but I guess I was all into the new stuff as it came and went). But, I thought that year alone was a fabulous year in music. I know lots of guys who like "balladry" music, I am not sure if they;ve liked it since 11 years old, but I know my brother liked some songs from the 80's that were soft rock ballads (he's three years older than me).

And to the OFF-NOTE - that's funny you had a similiar problem with mistaken identity, lol.

Written By: tv on 08/20/05 at 8:00 pm

Oh yeah, I'd have never admitted listening to a Michael Bolton song at that age for the life of me. ;D

I think I latched onto those kind of songs in the 90s, since alot of 80's songs had a melodic ballad-type sound - ranging from prom-type rock love songs (Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Journey) to softer pop (Toto, Christopher Cross) to hard rock power ballads (Aerosmith, Poison).

Some random 90s ballad faves offhand include:

I Can Love You Like That - All 4 One
If You Go - Jon Secada
Hero - Mariah Carey
Let Her Cry - Hootie & the Blowfish
I Believe - Blessid Union of Souls
Everyday - Phil Collins
When I Come Around - GreenDay (not a "ballad" ballad, but still)
Kiss From a Rose - Seal
Love is All Around - Wet Wet Wet

However, I also liked Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Tom Petty and Van Halen, so it balanced out somewhat! ;)
I Like "If You Go", "I Believe", and "Kiss From a Rose(I did like back then.). Hey I was just listening to "When I come Around:" today which brought me back to my freshman year of High School noglastia wise. On a side note I'm reallly not a big fan of 80's hair metal but "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison is an outstanding ballad.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 8:08 pm

I'd agree I was into very similiar music as you were. I was 11 for about 7 months of 1993 ( I turned 11 in May of that year,) so I think we're on the same page there. I tended to like the more current stuff at that age. I didn't like hardly anything from the 80's at that time (I did when I was growing up in the 80's, but I guess I was all into the new stuff as it came and went). But, I thought that year alone was a fabulous year in music. I know lots of guys who like "balladry" music, I am not sure if they;ve liked it since 11 years old, but I know my brother liked some songs from the 80's that were soft rock ballads (he's three years older than me).

And to the OFF-NOTE - that's funny you had a similiar problem with mistaken identity, lol.

Yeah, it's funny how I can now say that there was a huge difference between even, say 1989 and 1993 (the 80's died VERY quickly, especially trend and fashion-wise), but at the time, even though I paid attention to that, it didn't seem to different to me.

Even with grunge coming out, I remember kinda viewing it as slightly harder, rougher rock, but I didn't differentiate it from the more classic hard rock. And of course there were alot of ballads in the early-mid 90's, just like in the 80's.

I guess that's what it's like looking at it through a kid's eyes - you don't pick out things like that until people point it out to you. :D

However, even then I do remember thinking the earlier 80's was different. Like when I'd watch a "Video Rewind" hour of music videos of say 1984 on VH1 (remember those - I loved that! VH1 was so cool around that time) I'd think, Wow can't believe that was 9 years ago and would pick out changes between the pop culture of that time and what was new then. ;)

Written By: tv on 08/20/05 at 8:22 pm

Anything from Wilson Philips and Amy Grant

Amy Grant her hot songs were "House A Love", and "The Lucky One". I remember those 2 songs and listening to them in 1994. My mom listened to that kind of music. Amy also had hits with "Baby, Baby" and "Good For Me" in 1991 or 1992.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 8:27 pm

Yeah, it's funny how I can now say that there was a huge difference between even, say 1989 and 1993 (the 80's died VERY quickly, especially trend and fashion-wise), but at the time, even though I paid attention to that, it didn't seem to different to me.

Even with grunge coming out, I remember kinda viewing it as slightly harder, rougher rock, but I didn't differentiate it from the more classic hard rock. And of course there were alot of ballads in the early-mid 90's, just like in the 80's.

I guess that's what it's like looking at it through a kid's eyes - you don't pick out things like that until people point it out to you. :D

However, even then I do remember thinking the earlier 80's was different. Like when I'd watch a "Video Rewind" hour of music videos of say 1984 on VH1 (remember those - I loved that! VH1 was so cool around that time) I'd think, Wow can't believe that was 9 years ago and would pick out changes between the pop culture of that time and what was new then. ;)

Yeah, I also noticed such subtle changes growing up. I realised very quickly, like around 1990 or 1991, that things had changed radically from just a few years prior to that - especially with the grunge music. I remember seeing the cover of Nirvana's CD "Nevermind" around the summer of 1992 and thinking, "Who are these guys?" lol. I thought they were probably different enough to be on the front counter of the music store. Also around 1992, my view of music changed because it was the first time I was introduced to that wonderful thing we now call a compact disc. We never owned a CD player up until I asked for one for my tenth birthday (1992). But, yeah, being a kid at that time, I took things in a lot different;y even though I was very aware of it all happening.

One such example is the group Crowded House. I knew who they were in the 1980's and listened to their music, but didn't think much of them. Now, I have rediscovered their music and have dug deeper into it and have a big appreciation for them (to me they're like the 80's version of the Beatles - great melodies, lyrics, vocals, experimentation, etc). So, something like that took time to sort make sense to me.

I vaguely remember Vh1's Rewind - I wish I remembered it more now.. as I again would appreciate something like that a lot more now. I guess as kids we take for granted all the time we have and our excellent memories, as well.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 8:28 pm

Amy Grant her hot songs were "House A Love", and "The Lucky One". I remember those 2 songs and listening to them in 1994. My mom listened to that kind of music. Amy also had hits with "Baby, Baby" and "Good For Me" in 1991 or 1992.

I was very fond of her early 1990's rock ballads. I remmeber watching the Baby, baby video frequently. I can't believe it but kids today wouldn't believe that that video use to air on MTV frequently.... lol That song is now probably the anti-MTV song, now..

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 8:43 pm

I was very fond of her early 1990's rock ballads. I remmeber watching the Baby, baby video frequently. I can't believe it but kids today wouldn't believe that that video use to air on MTV frequently.... lol That song is now probably the anti-MTV song, now..

Yeah, unfortunately it probably is. ;)

On that same token, I recently read something that said, "In 1985 Rod Stewart videos were all over MTV. Today, someone at MTV would get fired for playing a Rod Stewart video". Sad but true!

BTW, we got our first CD player in 1986 or 87 I think (an external one you connect to a stereo system. A couple years later we got our first boombox with a CD and dual tape deck - that lasted all the way until 2001!).

Your post reminded me of it, but a funny story - I remember when we took it home and hooked it up, my dad kept having to reassure me, "Hey, CD's won't garble!"

^ When I was little, one thing that freaked me out was when a tape would get eaten or would "ridge" in the tape deck and play off-speed. That happened in the car a couiple times. Yeah I was a strange kid - it could've been the BoogieMan I was afraid of, but nooo - a garbled tape and a Tom Petty video. ;D

PS: The three CDs we bought on that day to test it out, I also still have (the Beatles White Album, Huey Lewis' Sports, and a Jimi Hendrix hits collection). 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 8:56 pm

Yeah, unfortunately it probably is. ;)

On that same token, I recently read something that said, "In 1985 Rod Stewart videos were all over MTV. Today, someone at MTV would get fired for playing a Rod Stewart video". Sad but true!

BTW, we got our first CD player in 1986 or 87 I think (an external one you connect to a stereo system. A couple years later we got our first boombox with a CD and dual tape deck - that lasted all the way until 2001!).

Your post reminded me of it, but a funny story - I remember when we took it home and hooked it up, my dad kept having to reassure me, "Hey, CD's won't garble!"

^ When I was little, one thing that freaked me out was when a tape would get eaten or would "ridge" in the tape deck and play off-speed. That happened in the car a couiple times. Yeah I was a strange kid - it could've been the BoogieMan I was afraid of, but nooo - a garbled tape and a Tom Petty video. ;D

PS: The three CDs we bought on that day to test it out, I also still have (the Beatles White Album, Huey Lewis' Sports, and a Jimi Hendrix hits collection). 8)

Not to put this thread into a total off topic spin - But I totally can relate with the feeling and anticipation of getting a CD player over records and tapes. I just remember being in awe of these circular things that were a quarter the size of a record and you could actually "touch" them and not feel paranoid about doing it. A couple things I remember about taking care of audio tapes was to never leave them in the car (a hot one) or they;d get warped, and several had. I just cringed (and maybe even cried a few times) when my tapes got caught wrong on the rewinder and either split or got all backed up. I used to watch the ribbons just coil up and I felt like my day was ruined!

One fond memory I have of our old records was my dad playing a "Dracula" story record on Halloween. He'd sweep the cobwebs off the old record player in the garage and dust the very, very old speakers off and reconnect them. One year, the speakers stopped working, and that was the end of our record playing days (that was probably 1989).

Those were some excellent choices for the first 3 CD's your family bought!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 9:07 pm

Not to put this thread into a total off topic spin - But I totally can relate with the feeling and anticipation of getting a CD player over records and tapes. I just remember being in awe of these circular things that were a quarter the size of a record and you could actually "touch" them and not feel paranoid about doing it. A couple things I remember about taking care of audio tapes was to never leave them in the car (a hot one) or they;d get warped, and several had. I just cringed (and maybe even cried a few times) when my tapes got caught wrong on the rewinder and either split or got all backed up. I used to watch the ribbons just coil up and I felt like my day was ruined!

One fond memory I have of our old records was my dad playing a "Dracula" story record on Halloween. He'd sweep the cobwebs off the old record player in the garage and dust the very, very old speakers off and reconnect them. One year, the speakers stopped working, and that was the end of our record playing days (that was probably 1989).

Those were some excellent choices for the first 3 CD's your family bought!!

I gotta go in a minute, so unfortunately I don't have time to do a long response, but yeah, I LOVE the fact that CD's will never "wear out" so they'll probably outlive me as long as I take care of 'em.

I still am attached to tapes though - probably as a result of having so many memories with them in my first 10-12 years (everything shaped me in my preteen years I think). First my uncle made them for us, but my faves were the ones my dad would do on a dual tape boombox. It was a mix of 60s to 80s music with cool announcements between the songs, like imitations of Mr T or someone "announcing" the songs. ;D

Unfortunately most of those got lost/taped over/eaten over the years, but I still have a copy of most of one left. It's things like that which make me never fully able to say goodbye to the dying format, LOL!

Again I guess I'm lucky my family is very hip for their ages. ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 9:48 pm

I gotta go in a minute, so unfortunately I don't have time to do a long response, but yeah, I LOVE the fact that CD's will never "wear out" so they'll probably outlive me as long as I take care of 'em.

I still am attached to tapes though - probably as a result of having so many memories with them in my first 10-12 years (everything shaped me in my preteen years I think). First my uncle made them for us, but my faves were the ones my dad would do on a dual tape boombox. It was a mix of 60s to 80s music with cool announcements between the songs, like imitations of Mr T or someone "announcing" the songs. ;D

Unfortunately most of those got lost/taped over/eaten over the years, but I still have a copy of most of one left. It's things like that which make me never fully able to say goodbye to the dying format, LOL!

Again I guess I'm lucky my family is very hip for their ages. ;)

That's pretty nifty your dad had all those recordings between the 1960's-1980's.. I would have just died and gone to heaven had my parents hung onto their tapes.

I think I was lucky, too, as both my parents were open to all kinds of music and both like music and are well rounded. My mom teaches piano, so I guess I should know something, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 9:56 pm

That's pretty nifty your dad had all those recordings between the 1960's-1980's.. I would have just died and gone to heaven had my parents hung onto their tapes.

Yeah, I didn't realize until I was older how lucky I was at that. He's 67 (born in 1938) and likes the Beatles/60s, 70's and some of the 80's quite a bit. Agewise, that's pretty unusual I guess.

Even moreso for my mom (b 1954) who always was the one buying new music and listening to stuff on the radio. That's why I kinda always used to cringe when people said they were 30 and couldn't appreciate pop culture anymore. But then it happened to me around 16-17 so I began to understand! ;D

I think I was lucky, too, as both my parents were open to all kinds of music and both like music and are well rounded. My mom teaches piano, so I guess I should know something, lol.

That's cool - I think playing an instrument would be great. Tried playing piano before, but not that well. My folks also bought me a drum set when I was about 7 - used it for maybe six months before getting less interested in it, so we resold it. Now I feel guilty for that, LOL!

Ironically, even with music always being a big interest of mine, I never quite wanted to pursue it professioanlly (I'm more into TV/theatre acting) but maybe I could do something like Weird Al, I do like writing parodies!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 10:24 pm

Yeah, I didn't realize until I was older how lucky I was at that. He's 67 (born in 1938) and likes the Beatles/60s, 70's and some of the 80's quite a bit. Agewise, that's pretty unusual I guess.

Even moreso for my mom (b 1954) who always was the one buying new music and listening to stuff on the radio. That's why I kinda always used to cringe when people said they were 30 and couldn't appreciate pop culture anymore. But then it happened to me around 16-17 so I began to understand! ;D

That's cool - I think playing an instrument would be great. Tried playing piano before, but not that well. My folks also bought me a drum set when I was about 7 - used it for maybe six months before getting less interested in it, so we resold it. Now I feel guilty for that, LOL!

Ironically, even with music always being a big interest of mine, I never quite wanted to pursue it professioanlly (I'm more into TV/theatre acting) but maybe I could do something like Weird Al, I do like writing parodies!

Wow, yeah, being that both your parents have experienced music from almost 70 years combined is quite impressive!! You've gotten the best of both worlds. My dad is about 11 years younger than your father (b. 1949) and my mom (b. 1952), is just slightly older than your mother, but my dad's likes were more into motown and early 50's whereas my mom listened to eveything. But, my dad now is into all kinds of stuff. I remember he really liked the "Titanic" soundtrack, which I thought was cool for a guy to like. My mom likes everything from Andy Williams to Bon Jovi, so there's plenty inbetween all of that.

I still appreciate pop culture as I will probably always follow some of the trends, but I think what you and I have grown out of is the pop culture that's aimed at the teens and early twenties group. We've past that ages ago.. for whatever reason (maybe our parent's influence, or by our own initaitive )

Piano is not all too hard, but just takes a bit of practice and theory. I am not too great at it, but I can get by. Drums would have been an awesome thing to get into - but, sometimes those things just sort of fade over time. Yeah, I love music, but I think I am more of a "thinkers" musician rather than wanting to be one... being one today would be so hard..

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/21/05 at 3:29 am

The More I think about it, I actually think I prefer 1997

Some good songs like..
"There Goes My Hero" by Foo Fighters
"Crash Into Me" by Dave Matthews Band
"Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind
"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve
"How Bizarre" by OMC
"The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe
"One Headlight" by The Wallflowers
"Fly" by Sugar Ray
"Lovefool" by The Cardigans
"Your Woman" by White Town
"Truly, Madly, Deeply" by Savage Garden
"I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy
"Show Me Love" by Robyn
"Smack My B~tch Up" by Prodigy
"Don't Speak" by No Doubt
"Return of the Mack" by Mack Morrison
"Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba
"Don't Leave Me Girl" by Blackstreet

Alot of goodies from '97

Written By: nally on 08/21/05 at 1:02 pm

I Like "If You Go", "I Believe", and "Kiss From a Rose" (I did like back then.). Hey I was just listening to "When I come Around:" today which brought me back to my freshman year of High School noglastia wise. On a side note I'm reallly not a big fan of 80's hair metal but "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison is an outstanding ballad.

Were you a high school freshman in 1994-95? You must be about the same age as me; that's the same year that I was a HS freshman. I listened to those songs and liked 'em to some extent as well. In fact, Blessid Union Of Souls' "I Believe" (which was a U.S. hit 10 years ago this month) was one of my favorite slow, soft songs to listen to whenever I felt sad about something.

Written By: tv on 08/21/05 at 10:55 pm

Were you a high school freshman in 1994-95? You must be about the same age as me; that's the same year that I was a HS freshman. I listened to those songs and liked 'em to some extent as well. In fact, Blessid Union Of Souls' "I Believe" (which was a U.S. hit 10 years ago this month) was one of my favorite slow, soft songs to listen to whenever I felt sad about something.
Yes I was a High School freahman in 1994-1995. Yeah "Kiss From A Rose" I did listen too.  They always played it on the radio station I listened too that year. I thought it was a great ballad back then. "If You Go" and "I Believe" my Mom listened to that back then. Thats like "Noglastia" for me. Speaking if "I Believe" that song was an interracial daing song I think. That song talks about a girl name Lisa and how the singer was talking about a girl going out with a black guy. In the song I think the singer was saying how the father dissaproved of the interracial daing. I remember listening to "I Believe" a few years after it came out.  I was like I remember hearing that song! On a side note I loved Better Than Ezra's song "Good" from 1995. I liked that part at the end of the song where the singer of" Better Than Ezra" in a real screechy loud voice goes "MSRight" The way he said "MSRight" is so classic 90's for me!

Written By: tv on 08/21/05 at 11:53 pm

Wow, yeah, being that both your parents have experienced music from almost 70 decades combined is quite impressive!! You've gotten the best of both worlds. My dad is about 11 years younger than your father (b. 1949) and my mom (b. 1952), is just slightly older than your mother, but my dad's likes were more into motown and early 50's whereas my mom listened to eveything. But, my dad now is into all kinds of stuff. I remember he really liked the "Titanic" soundtrack, which I thought was cool for a guy to like. My mom likes everything from Andy Williams to Bon Jovi, so there's plenty inbetween all of that.

I still appreciate pop culture as I will probably always follow some of the trends, but I think what you and I have grown out of is the pop culture that's aimed at the teens and early twenties group. We've past that ages ago.. for whatever reason (maybe our parent's influence, or by our own initaitive )

Well with my Parents I think My Mom abadoned music after 1997.  She was always into Pop/R&B music and ballad music in the 70'-mid 90's mid period. She does not like Hard Rock. My father does not like R&B music and he does not like disco. He likes 70's and 80's rock music and he think the 90's sucked and he thinks there was only a couple good musical years in the 90's. He said the 80's are the best decade of music. He likes John Mellencamp, Bruce Springstein, and Meatloaf. He can tolerate a band like 3 Doors Down though. He is aware of 90's band's like Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, and Pearl Jam however.

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/22/05 at 1:42 am

Personally, I always preferred "Blessid Union of Souls" Other Hit Song from 1995 called "Let Me Be The One". I would say that's probably their Best Song overall

Written By: nally on 08/22/05 at 12:03 pm

On a side note I loved Better Than Ezra's song "Good" from 1995. I liked that part at the end of the song where the singer of Better Than Ezra in a real screechy loud voice goes "MSRight" The way he said "MSRight" is so classic 90's for me!

I thought the screechy loud voice said "yeah, that's right!" (It makes more sense, but you could be right.)
And BTE's frontman's name is Kevin Griffin.

Written By: nally on 09/17/05 at 11:07 pm

Wow, yeah, being that both your parents have experienced music from almost 70 years combined is quite impressive!! You've gotten the best of both worlds. My dad is about 11 years younger than your father (b. 1949) and my mom (b. 1952), is just slightly older than your mother, but my dad's likes were more into motown and early 50's whereas my mom listened to eveything. But, my dad now is into all kinds of stuff. I remember he really liked the "Titanic" soundtrack, which I thought was cool for a guy to like. My mom likes everything from Andy Williams to Bon Jovi, so there's plenty inbetween all of that.

Really?...my dad was born in 1953 and my mom was born in 1951...they mostly like the stuff they grew up listening to..

I still appreciate pop culture as I will probably always follow some of the trends, but I think what you and I have grown out of is the pop culture that's aimed at the teens and early twenties group. We've past that ages ago.. for whatever reason (maybe our parent's influence, or by our own initiative )

Piano is not all too hard, but just takes a bit of practice and theory. I am not too great at it, but I can get by. Drums would have been an awesome thing to get into - but, sometimes those things just sort of fade over time. Yeah, I love music, but I think I am more of a "thinkers" musician rather than wanting to be one... being one today would be so hard..

You're right about piano...I took private lessons from 1991-93, but didn't learn to play any pop or nothin' like that...periodically I still play. I became very good at it though. :) Howver I do learn to play things by ear; sometimes I can figure out the melody of a pop song in my head and play it on the piano when no one else is around.

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/05 at 11:17 pm

I'd have to say 1994.  So many great dance songs I really loved came out that year :)

Written By: nally on 09/17/05 at 11:54 pm

I'd have to say 1994.  So many great dance songs I really loved came out that year :)

I think a lot of great songs in general came out that year. That's the year I transitioned from junior high/middle school into high school.

Check for new replies or respond here...