inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Video Game of the 90's?

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/14/05 at 1:14 pm

Just incase you guys need some help remembering some games, I'll list a couple

Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990)

Mortal Kombat II (1993)

Mortal Kombat 3 (1995)

Donkey Kong Country (1994)

Goldeneye: 007 (1997)

Doom 2 (1994)

Street Fighter II (1992)

Toejam and Earl (1992)

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1992)

Tekken 2 (1996)

Twisted Metal (1995)

Twisted Metal 2 (1996)

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997)

Ken Griffey Jr's "Winning Run" (1996)

Resident Evil 2 (1998)

Those are just some I could think of off the top of my head, if anyone can think of any others, please post them

Anyway, My Choice would have to be Mortal Kombat 3 (1995), I absoultely Loved that game, I remember going over to my friends house every weekend to play it and even playing it alot at the Arcades. My Favorite character was always "Stryker"

Here's a Picture of the Character Select Screen to bring back some good memories  8)
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/11/1100125283.jpg

Subject: Re: Best Video Game of the 90's?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/14/05 at 2:56 pm

Mortal Kombat!

http://www.weinerd.com/images/brochures/mortalkombatf.jpg

Written By: bbigd04 on 08/14/05 at 8:08 pm

Mortal Kombat

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/14/05 at 9:07 pm

Mortal Kombat

Any specific one? Or just the Original?

Alot of people believe Mortal Kombat II was the Best, and it's hard to argue that. The reason I didn't care much for the Original was because of the Minimal Chracter Selection, you could only choose from Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Sonya Blade, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Raiden and Kano
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/10/1055304490.jpg
Also, the Fatalities and Violence was Expanded upon from the Original to Part II

In Part II, you could select from Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Kitana, Jax, Melinna, Baraka, Scorpion and Raiden
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/M/wMortal_Kombat_II.png

Written By: bbigd04 on 08/14/05 at 9:52 pm

Alot of people believe Mortal Kombat II was the Best, and it's hard to argue that. The reason I didn't care much for the Original was because of the Minimal Chracter Selection, you could only choose from Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Sonya Blade, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Raiden and Kano
Also, the Fatalities and Violence was Expanded upon from the Original to Part II

In Part II, you could select from Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Kitana, Jax, Melinna, Baraka, Scorpion and Raiden

I was referring to all of them. Best specific one, probably the 3rd one.

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/05 at 10:25 am

I liked Super Maria World for the SNES. Absolutely brilliant!  8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/15/05 at 3:28 pm

The original one.

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/15/05 at 10:37 pm

I Almost forgot about "Ultimate Mortal Kombat" 3 which came out in 1996. That one might have very well been the Best. People played the Hell out of that game in Arcades. Here is a Screenshot of the Character Select Screen
http://img2.uploadimages.net/987127umk3.jpg

I always loved "Rain", the guy was Kickarse!

Written By: NbC on 08/16/05 at 2:19 am

My favorite was Tomb Raider.  I was so addicted to those games....I had them all and played for hours.  I rarely play any games these days. 

Loved: 

Donkey Kong
Sonic The Hedgehog and
Crash

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/16/05 at 2:58 am

I liked the first Resident Evil, Skullmonkeys, Earthworm Jim, Boogerman,  NFL Gameday 98, NBA Jam, Gauntlet, Castlevania, Metroid, NFL2k, and many, many more. I just cant remember them all.

Written By: jaypunkchick1 on 08/18/05 at 11:15 pm

earth worm jim,rayman,mortal kombat,sonic the hedge hog

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/17/05 at 9:01 am

I started to fall out of favor with new videogames around 1994. By then I was 12-13 and just didn't have the time to play as much as before. Plus, my beloved NES was beginning to lose popularity by then.

That said however, the 1990-93 Super NES games were pretty cool. Of course, I don't own nearly as many of those as I do regular NES, but if the honor had to go to just one - definitely The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

So much more multi-layered and complex than the other two (which were still very much so!). I only beat the thing once - geez, it's hard, but that's the fun in it! :)

I also was most familar with its storyline. I subscribed to Nintendo Power as a kid and recall reading about it when it came out - they were comparing it with the previous two NES Zeldas and said, even though it was the third game, it "takes place many years before the adventures of Part 1".

I was always a sucker for stuff like that!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/17/05 at 5:17 pm

Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Tomb Raider.

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/05 at 8:04 pm

one of my favourites was Streets of Rage for the Sega Genesis.  I was and still am a big fan of those Double Dragon type games where it's a bunch of guys taking it to the streets with their fists to save some girl.  Always entertaining :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 9:02 am

Sonic The Hedgehog is of my favorites too..

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/18/05 at 9:16 am

I was just thinking of another one I remember from around 1995 - Yoshi's World.

Never played it since by then I wasn't as into new games anymore, but has anyone else? What's it like?

I distinctly recall the commercial for it though - like Monty Python meets Weird Al's "Fat" video!

It had a big guy in a restaurant, just STUFFING down food (as they simultaneously showed levels in the game). Toward the end, the narrator said, "You sure there's not time for a little bonus level?" - to which the guy licks a teeny bit of frosting (?) or something off his finger, then explodes. ;D

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 2:52 pm

Final Fantasy 7!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/06 at 3:08 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 gets my vote. I love all the games in the series but I think 2 is the perfect game. I'll never forget the first time I played it back in '93 not too long after it came out. Watching Sonic race across the screen like that made Mario look like excactly what he is...a potbellied plummber ;D

Written By: rich1981 on 03/03/06 at 6:00 pm

It's hard to pick just one, but the three that come to mind are Super Mario World (SNES), The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy) and Super Castlevania IV (SNES)  8).

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 8:26 pm

I never really liked Sonic all that much...nor many of the other old platformers (e.g. Rayman, Bugsy, movie merch) - it was the golden age of platformers. As for platformers, you couldn't beat the Mario/Donkey Kong combo. I think the best Mario platformers were SMB2, SMB3, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Story. Donkey Kong Country 2 is still the most fondly remembered of the series. Then there was Streetfighter - who could forget Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat, Earthworm Jim.etc.

Written By: audkal on 03/03/06 at 9:02 pm

I'd say Sonic 3, followed up by Mortal Kombat 2 (both Sega Genesis).

I remember when my brother wanted to buy Mortal Kombat 3 for Genesis but my mom really didn't want to drive to town to get it because we were pretty poor back then and were trying to save on gas money.  My brother had enough money to buy the game, he just needed to get there.  Then finally, my mom said, if we all gave her a hug ("all" as in: my 3 brothers and I), she'd take us there to buy it.  We all really wanted to see the game so we hugged her.  We all remember that day so well, good times, teehee. :)

BTW, Final Fantasy 7 is gold but I didn't get around to playing until like 2000.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 10:15 am

Remember how expensive the old game cartridges and games used to be? I remember when DK2 came out it was the same price as an XBox 360 or 'premium' PC game is now (AU $100). Now one can download a 3MB file for free (and an emulator of course), buy a $10 gamepad and they're set. You can have the equivalent of thousands of cartridges which would cost you tens of thousands of dollars. It was one of the ideas I dreamnt about in the early days, when one had to rent games from the local video store. And in the space of less than 5 years, it became reality.

Written By: yay on 03/04/06 at 6:03 pm

8)  1.super mario world for the snes
      2. sonic the original one
      3.street fighter 2 best one ever ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/04/06 at 6:43 pm

Super Mario Kart

Check for new replies or respond here...