inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fave Female Groups of the 90's

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/23/05 at 7:52 am

In my opinion, the 90's produced a lot of great girl groups in different genres, from pop to R&B and even alternative.

I vote for those funky divas En Vogue and Veruca Salt (who were named after a character in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory).

(BTW, even though Destiny's Child became more popular in the 2000's, they did have a great hit out in '99 with
'Bills Bills Bills')

Subject: Re: Fave Female Groups of the 90's

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/23/05 at 9:12 am

i like destinys child but they were deffinateely more late 90's

Written By: 90s boy on 08/23/05 at 2:43 pm

i have to go with TLC and the Spice Girls SWV was good to i also remember a group called all saints they had a hit in late 1998 called never ever

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/23/05 at 3:02 pm

It will always be TLC for me

Written By: woops on 08/23/05 at 4:24 pm

En Vogue & TLC

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/23/05 at 8:24 pm

On your list I would have to say Veruca Salt. I love that song 'Seether'. The rest of that album was pretty good also. You should have included Elastica on your list, even though the guitar player was a guy.

Written By: tv on 08/24/05 at 12:10 pm

In my opinion, the 90's produced a lot of great girl groups in different genres, from pop to R&B and even alternative.

I vote for those funky divas En Vogue and Veruca Salt (who were named after a character in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory).

(BTW, even though Destiny's Child became more popular in the 2000's, they did have a great hit out in '99 with
'Bills Bills Bills')
No, Destiny;s Child had a hit with the song "No, No, No" featuring Wylceff Jean in 1997-1998 also in the 90's. I liked SWV the best though. Hits like "Rain", "Right Here(Human Nature)", "Weak", "Always On My Mind", "Dowtown", "I'm So Into" are R&B classics of the 90's. "Rain" is a great song. They also had a hit with Puff Daddy in 1997-1998 as well. Can't recall the songs name though. I remember reading on one music message board a few years ago somebody calling SWV the Supremes of the 90's. I think they could be right about that analogy. I also liked R&B group "Total" from the mid to late 90's. They had hits in 1996 with "Kissin You", "Can't You See" featuring Notorious BIG. In 1997-1999 they had hits with "Trippin" featuring Missy Elliott, "What You Want" featuring rapper Mase, and "Sittin Home" in early 99.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/24/05 at 12:57 pm

Out of TLC's hits, my favorite has got to be 'No Scrubs' - I think the lyrics are hilarious!  I also remember some group doing a novelty reply song to that called 'No Pigeons' (the female version of Scrubs).  ;D

Written By: tv on 08/24/05 at 1:02 pm

Out of TLC's hits, my favorite has got to be 'No Scrubs' - I think the lyrics are hilarious!  I also remember some group doing a novelty reply song to that called 'No Pigeons' (the female version of Scrubs).  ;D
I think the name of the group was Sporty Thieves if I am not mistaken that did "No Pigeons".

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/06/05 at 7:31 am

:D  I loved Veruca salt and Lus Jackson.  I also loved The Breeders and Hole... Belly was cool too.  90's women Groups ROCKED!!!  I still listen to them

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/06/05 at 2:18 pm

I voted for Destiny's child and En Vogue. Loved them both.

To me, Veruca Salt and Luscious Jackson were bona fide great bands! They played instruments and wrote their songs. They don't felt the standard make-up of a group.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/06/05 at 8:46 pm

I voted En Vogue and other: Drain STH, thier album "Freaks of Nature" is simplistic but awesome (1999 release).

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 09/06/05 at 9:30 pm

I like En Vogue

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/05 at 9:38 pm

I really liked the All Saints.  The Appleton Sisters are Canadian  ;)

Written By: RANJAN on 09/21/05 at 5:40 am

HI  me ranjan from india looking for a sincere friends. can we be friends, my email is id ranjan19772003@yahoo.com
pl email me
regds
ranjan

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/21/05 at 5:46 am

I really liked the All Saints.  The Appleton Sisters are Canadian  ;)

Really?  I always thought they were Brits?    :D :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/05 at 5:48 am

Really?  I always thought they were Brits?     :D :D
Nicole Marie Appleton was born on December 7, 1974, in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. She grew up with her three sisters, Lori, Lee and Natalie, in Toronto and New York before moving to Camden in London, England.

Written By: April on 09/23/05 at 8:35 am

Any one remember You Woman-white town, i thought that was a real big hit about the same time as no diggity-blackstreet and a lot of early backstrret boys

Written By: tv on 09/29/05 at 12:54 pm

Any one remember You Woman-white town, i thought that was a real big hit about the same time as no diggity-blackstreet and a lot of early backstrret boys
Yeah I remember "Your Woman" by Whitetown. That was my junior year of High School when that song was big. Yeah Basckstreet had just hit Us shores at the that time. I thought "No Diggity" was a hit in 1996 not 1997.

Written By: Southern Image on 09/29/05 at 1:24 pm

Destinys Child and TLC

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/02/05 at 11:06 am

En Vogue 
TLC

Written By: Cheetara on 10/02/05 at 9:19 pm

En Vogue....sexy 8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/05 at 9:22 pm

one that's not listed that I also like was a Vancouver based trio called the West End Girls.  They were quite popular Canada-wide in the early 90's :)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 10/03/05 at 7:34 am

I just added a couple more groups to the poll that I just thought of last night - Wilson Phillips, who had some good songs in the early 90's (coincidentally, both Wilson Phillips and En Vogue had a debut single in 1990 called 'Hold On') - I'm glad they've started working together again.  :)

I can't believe I forgot about Salt-N-Pepa when I started this poll - they started out in the late 80's but hit their peak in the 90's with songs like 'Let's Talk About Sex', 'Shoop', and 'Whatta Man' (with the aforementioned En Vogue)  8)

Written By: tv on 10/04/05 at 12:25 am

I just added a couple more groups to the poll that I just thought of last night - Wilson Phillips, who had some good songs in the early 90's (coincidentally, both Wilson Phillips and En Vogue had a debut single in 1990 called 'Hold On') - I'm glad they've started working together again.  :)

I can't believe I forgot about Salt-N-Pepa when I started this poll - they started out in the late 80's but hit their peak in the 90's with songs like 'Let's Talk About Sex', 'Shoop', and 'Whatta Man' (with the aforementioned En Vogue)  8)
You know I had somebody tell me "Lets Talk About Sex" was from 1986 and I said no it was from 1992.

Written By: lastofthefamous on 10/04/05 at 2:13 pm

i loved the spice girls and i still do to this day!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/05 at 2:55 pm

Who were Spinderella?

Written By: iluvthe80s on 10/04/05 at 3:07 pm

Who were Spinderella?

Spinderella was the DJ with Salt N Pepa - she was sort of like an unofficial third member of the group.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/05 at 3:08 pm

Spinderella was the DJ with Salt N Pepa - she was sort of like an unofficial third member of the group.  :)
Thanks

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/18/05 at 3:42 pm

En Vogue 
Destiny's Child

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/29/05 at 11:20 am

I like Salt and peppa and SWV but I remember all saiints also with there one hit wonder song never ever (I think that song came out 98 or 99) I remember on NBC's friday night (used to be a mtv style show with comedy sketches and stand up with the music videos) rita sever did the parody of them

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 2:40 pm

Wilson Philps. A lot of their songs take me back to summer vaction during my first years in High School

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 6:21 pm

I love alot of En Vogue's songs, but I've always sort of had a soft spot for All Saints and like them alot. I also love alot of TLC's stuff like "Scrubs", stuff like that brings back memories of sitting with my babysitter listening to the radio in the mid-90s or the radio on the schoolbus in the late '90s, though that's also how I know En Vogue.

Check for new replies or respond here...