inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was this a music fad in the 1990's alone?

Written By: Tyler77 on 09/01/05 at 10:51 pm

I can recall in the 1990's (early to mid) of several female pop/rock singers that had a folkish sound to them: i.e. Joan Osborne ("What If God Was One Of Us?"), Paula Cole( "I Don't Want To Wait(Theme From Dawson's Creek)", Shawn Colvin ("Sunny Came Home"), Sophie B. Hawkins ("As I Lay Me Down"). They were sort of a throwback to the days of Carole King in the 70's where she wrote and sang her own music. Was this a specific trend or fad in the 90's? I can't think of any female musicians that fall in this category since the 1990's.

Subject: Re: Was this a music fad in the 1990's alone?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/17/05 at 8:55 am

Meant to respond to this before.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Not sure I agree 100% but I think I know where you're coming from.

All those songs I pretty much liked right when they came out. I guess if I had to label them, maybe softer 90's pop with a slight (and I mean VERY) slight alternative influence.

Interestingly, people have said there seems to be a trend back towards singer-songwriters in music now. I'd tend to agree - John Mayer, Dave Matthews and to a lesser extent Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, etc are mostly stripped down and folkish. Not really my cup of tea, but I know alot of people are into it.

In thinking about it, the 90's songs you mentioned were I guess kind of a "polished" version of how that stuff might sound?

Check for new replies or respond here...