inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Leslie Nielsen movie poll

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/11/05 at 7:15 am

He'd been a dramatic actor in the first stage of his career, but starting with roles like Airplane and the Police Squad series (which morphed into three Naked Gun films), this comedic second phase of his career took off.

Most of his movies of this nature were actually from the 90's (despite that Airplane was back in 1980!) - and though he's, I believe, doing theatre more these days, he still has the occasional movie role in the same vein.

My personal favorites would be a tossup of all the Naked Gun's (I got really into 1 and 2 in the early 90's when we'd rent/buy alot of movies).

Overall, I think he's one of the coolest older guys - he also has hardly aged in the past quarter century too.

Subject: Re: Leslie Nielsen movie poll

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/05 at 10:30 am

I think I like Naked Gun 33 1/3 the best.  The scene where he's beating up Phil Donahue at the Oscars just about killed me  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 09/11/05 at 10:48 am

Definitely Airplane were he had two of his most memorable lines - unfortunately, he appeared almost half way through the movie!  ;D

"You can tell me, I'm a doctor."

LOL!!!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/05 at 11:26 am

Definitely Airplane were he had two of his most memorable lines - unfortunately, he appeared almost half way through the movie!  ;D

"You can tell me, I'm a doctor."

LOL!!!  ;D

"Surely, you can't be serious?"

"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/11/05 at 11:43 am

"Surely, you can't be serious?"

"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley" ;D

Yeah, that reminds me. One thing I liked about Dr. Rumack was, even when he said something funny, it was in a completely deadpan/unfunny manner.

-"I haven't seen anything like this since the Anita Bryant concert."
-"You can't take a guess for another two hours?"

Etc. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/11/05 at 1:01 pm

Airplane is good, but so is Naked Gun.

It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girls dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.
Goodyear?
No, the worst.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/11/05 at 1:40 pm

I picked other because I love them all, well except for Mr. Magoo.  That is a baaaaad movie.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/11/05 at 5:30 pm

Dracula Dead and loving it  :D

Written By: Mushroom on 09/11/05 at 5:37 pm

I liked his early comedy works best.

Airplane and Police Squad were some of the best comedy I have ever seen.  The way he was so deadpan and serious is what made the character.

I did not care so much for the Naked Gun movies.  Even back then, I did not care for their replacing Peter Lupus with OJ Simpson in the Nordberg role.  They would have been better off killing Nordberg and having Simpson play somebody else.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/11/05 at 6:59 pm

Airplane and the first Naked Gun movie.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/16/05 at 1:01 pm

Naked Gun  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/18/05 at 10:02 pm

Never saw any of them, but I'll just go with "Naked Gun."

Written By: jackas on 09/18/05 at 11:57 pm

I picked Naked Gun because I think that was his funniest role, but I think Airplane was the best movie on the list.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/05 at 11:58 am

I am tossed between Airplane and the first Naked Gun movie.

When Airplane first came out, I said, "Leslie Nielsen is a serious actor. What is he doing in a comedy?" Now when I see him in a serious movie, I say, "Leslie Nielsen is a comic actor. What is he doing in a serious movie?" But it just goes to show that he is such a brilliant actor that he can do both. I have several of the Police Squad episodes on tape. I noticed the difference in his acting style from that to the Naked Gun movies. He has developed "THE LOOK" which always cracks me up. The only other person I know who had "THE LOOK" was Jack Benny.

Cat

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 09/19/05 at 12:49 pm

I pick other because I like more the one.

Dracula, Dead and Loving it
Airplane

Subject: Leslie Nielsen movie poll

Written By: Dude111 on 02/27/18 at 10:06 am

Naked Gun 33 1/3

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 1:53 pm

Naked Gun

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/18 at 2:06 am

Naked Gun (1988)

I have always wanted to see the Exorcist spoof, but told it was dire!

Check for new replies or respond here...