inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm born in the wrong decade :(

Written By: kzu on 09/16/05 at 8:16 am

God damn, I'm born 1985, and I think I should have been born in the 1970's, I like the 90's music, clothes and movies, I just was a little young to understand them back then:)
Anyone here feels the same? Everything today is so boring, music sounds like sheesh and it's all sounding the same, movies are hollywood crap with great special fx (and nothing else), I hate the materialism that you see on MTV etc.

Subject: Re: I'm born in the wrong decade :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 8:25 am

Welcome to the board. And I basically agree with you. :)

I think it's normal for people to look back on things from when they were younger - it's "comforting" in a sense. It's what you know, so you kinda want to go back a second time.

I'm only 3-4 years older than you, and I've always felt at home with the 80's and the first half of the 90's -- as late as '96 perhaps -- as opposed to anything from 1997 and up. Well, I've gotta hand it to today's technology, though!

BTW, you would've turned 13 in 1998, so in a technical sense you're still a 90's teen, albeit not to the degree of someone born around 1977 - which would be more of a "pure" 90's teen, covering the earlier part of the decade.

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/05 at 9:32 am

I wish I had of been born in the middle 70s instead of the late 70s, that way I could have remembered more og the 80's a bit better :)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/16/05 at 10:59 am

I was born in 1970. Didn't care much for the 80's, sometimes I wish I could've been born 30 years earlier so I could've been around in the 50's and 60's. The cars were so much cooler, and it seemed like everyone dressed classier back then.

Written By: cables on 09/17/05 at 9:28 am

Am I too old for this board? I got married the year you were born!

I love 60s music so I too think I should have been born a few years earlier. I first saw The Who in 1976 - how I wish I could borrow Marty's De Lorean and see them in 1965 - or a Tommy concert from 1969.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/18/05 at 9:22 am

Am I too old for this board?

Nobody's too old for it. :)

I love 60s music so I too think I should have been born a few years earlier. I first saw The Who in 1976 - how I wish I could borrow Marty's De Lorean and see them in 1965 - or a Tommy concert from 1969.

Hey Mark, when I convince Doc to lend it to me, it's yours to borrow whenever! :D

Really though, I also grew up listening to a good deal of 60's music - it reminds me of the 80's since that's when I first heard it, but I have an affinity for things completely before my time too.

On an off note, I find myself getting more and more nostalgic for the 90's all the time. As they were going on, I may have thought things coming out were "okay" or "kinda cool" but nothing special -- yet now, I find myself attaching memories to movies, fads or songs up to 1998 even.

It's only a matter of time before I miss the "good old days of 2005" in 2012 or so!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/18/05 at 9:43 am

i have this to say for all you people wishing you were born in an earlier
decade.dont wish your life away it goes by fast enough.to quote a verse
from pink floyd:
you run and you run to catch up with sun but it's sinking
and racing around to come up behind you again
the sun is the same in a relative way but your older
shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Written By: cables on 09/18/05 at 10:52 am

i have this to say for all you people wishing you were born in an earlier
decade.dont wish your life away it goes by fast enough.

Quite true Loki.

I may wish I'd been able to see The Who in 1965, but there are other times I wish I'd been born later so I could have had CDs and DVDs when I was in my teens.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/18/05 at 11:40 am

God darn, I'm born 1985, and I think I should have been born in the 1970's, I like the 90's music, clothes and movies, I just was a little young to understand them back then:)
Anyone here feels the same? Everything today is so boring, music sounds like sheesh and it's all sounding the same, movies are hollywood crap with great special fx (and nothing else), I hate the materialism that you see on MTV etc.

I agree to an extent. I am only three years older than you, but I often wish I had been born earlier because it was so much more my style. I wonder why some people feel that way? I wonder if we ever did have a past life in that time or something and that's why we feel like we're a bit awkward in this era? lol Who knows :0) Yet, I wouldn't trade the year I was born. I am proud to have been an 80's child.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/18/05 at 11:51 am

I've always liked when I was born.  1975 was a good year to be born.  Got to be young enough to enjoy most of the children's stuff of the 80s, but I was old enough to appreciate why the early and mid 80s were cool.  Plus I obvioulsy had an excellent take on the late 80s since I was a young teen at the time.  I love that I remember when TV shows and movies of the 80s actually came out, versus growing up with them in repeats or VHS tapes in the very late 80s or sometime in the 90s. 

I also liked being a kid in the 90s.  Actually I kinda experienced the late 70s too.  I like that my years were very different and changing all the time, encompassing 3 very different eras, instead of just staying the freakin' same for 10 years or so....hint hint hint.  I mean it's cool when you look at your kid photos and see yourself in a different era, wearing different clothes.  How awful it must be to look at photo of yourself from 9 or 10 years ago when you were a little kid, and gee you are wearing fashions that are very similar to present day styles...and listening to music that runs parrallel with current music.

The 90s were very cool, that was my youth too. 

But the 80s were magical.   The 80s are home.    :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/18/05 at 12:19 pm

I've always liked when I was born.  1975 was a good year to be born.  Got to be young enough to enjoy most of the children's stuff of the 80s, but I was old enough to appreciate why the early and mid 80s were cool.  Plus I obvioulsy had an excellent take on the late 80s since I was a young teen at the time.  I love that I remember when TV shows and movies of the 80s actually came out, versus growing up with them in repeats or VHS tapes in the very late 80s or sometime in the 90s. 

I also liked being a kid in the 90s.  Actually I kinda experienced the late 70s too.  I like that my years were very different and changing all the time, encompassing 3 very different eras, instead of just staying the freakin' same for 10 years or so....hint hint hint.  I mean it's cool when you look at your kid photos and see yourself in a different era, wearing different clothes.  How awful it must be to look at photo of yourself from 9 or 10 years ago when you were a little kid, and gee you are wearing fashions that are very similar to present day styles...and listening to music that runs parrallel with current music.

here, here. but you weren't a kid in the early nineties, you were a teenager!!! I was a mom by 1998. I experienced high school, college, and motherhood all in the 90s! Go figure. However, I loved the 80s and appreciate the fact I was there to experience things direct and first-hand. I pretty much agree with you though. BTW, I was born in 1976.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/05 at 1:19 pm

I always felt that I should have been born 5 years earlier. But I can say now that I am 5 years younger then I always felt that I should be.  ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/18/05 at 3:11 pm

Yeah, in a sense, the 80's are home for me as I experienced some of my first memories during that time. Although a lot of those memories are fading now, I am still trying to latch onto them or at least write them down. The 1990's, sad to say it, was the decade I obviously remember completely. I think when you hit 7 or 8, you remember things pretty vividly, as before that time you're rather too young or things don't quite register neither make sense or you're not quite observant enough. I look back on some of the late 80's pics of me and it's funny to see how lame I dressed. Even as a baby I had some of that late 70's style clothing going on - but hey, I couldn't help it - I was just a tot!

Written By: tv on 09/18/05 at 9:14 pm

So,etimes I feel like I should have been earlier so I coulf have experienced MTV when they actually played music. I was born in 1979. Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in 1970 this way I could have remembered 80's/early 90's music more clearly. I only started following music myself in 1994. Like I have said in the past I remember alot of 80's songs from when I was younger and I cherish hearing those songs when i was a kid in the 80's but part of me wishes I could have grown up on those songs as a teenager. I like Depeche Mode, Lisa Lisa, Debarge, Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, New Order. I like the theme song from Flashdance. I would have been cool like to like hear Hall and Oates or The Eurythumics circa 1983 as a teenager that is. I remember hearing stuff like Sweet Dreams(are Made of This) by The Eurythumics and the theme song from Flashdance when I was in pre-school. Hall and Oates was hot when I was in pre-school and I remember hearing some their songs when I was really young too. Don't get me wrong I love 90's music too.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/19/05 at 8:55 pm

So,etimes I feel like I should have been earlier so I coulf have experienced MTV when they actually played music. I was born in 1979. Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in 1970 this way I could have remembered 80's/early 90's music more clearly. I only started following music myself in 1994. Like I have said in the past I remember alot of 80's songs from when I was younger and I cherish hearing those songs when i was a kid in the 80's but part of me wishes I could have grown up on those songs as a teenager. I like Depeche Mode, Lisa Lisa, Debarge, Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, New Order. I like the theme song from Flashdance. I would have been cool like to like hear Hall and Oates or The Eurythumics circa 1983 as a teenager that is. I remember hearing stuff like Sweet Dreams(are Made of This) by The Eurythumics and the theme song from Flashdance when I was in pre-school. Hall and Oates was hot when I was in pre-school and I remember hearing some their songs when I was really young too. Don't get me wrong I love 90's music too.

Umm, where were you that you couldn't experience MTV when they actually played music? You are only three years younger than me.

Written By: i am the ssshhht on 09/20/05 at 8:05 am

God damn, I'm born 1985, and I think I should have been born in the 1970's, I like the 90's music, clothes and movies, I just was a little young to understand them back then:)

i know what u mean, i was born in 87, but i hate everything that is around now, i loved watching 1 Love the 80's, but hate and think it was too soon for them to make i love the 90's... anyways, i listen to like Classic rock, and none of that rop or punk music.... anyways, i just know what u mean....

Written By: OliverDK on 09/25/05 at 6:07 am

I was born in 1971 and I'm pretty happy with the time I was born in, okay it could've been cool to be at Woodstock in '69 or fly a P-51 Mustang in skies over Europe in '44-'45, but as Chris put it; the 80s were magical, the 80s are home.

That being said I did like the early 90s too, my memories of '88-'94 are sort mixed together a bit but that was the time when we went from hanging out outside Burger King and Cinema 1-thru-8, to hitting the clubs and bars of downtown.

I've given it some thought lately, and it seems to me that the difference between us and those of our friends who doesn't visit Nostalgia Sites, is that they somehow became adults and we didn't, not that being an adult doesn't have its perks but most of my friends suddenly grew up and sort of didn't, am I totally off the mark with this?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/05 at 6:41 am

I've given it some thought lately, and it seems to me that the difference between us and those of our friends who doesn't visit Nostalgia Sites, is that they somehow became adults and we didn't, not that being an adult doesn't have its perks but most of my friends suddenly grew up and I sort of didn't, am I totally off the mark with this?

That's REALLY well put. I wouldn't maybe have theorized that on my own, but it makes alot of sense.

If it weren't for birth certificates, I'd have alot of trouble believing I'm going into my mid 20's now - I sure as heck don't feel it, LOL. I'm assuming you feel similarly to this too?

People like you and me (and a majority of the others too) visit sites like this to "relive" and discuss things we liked growing up. We do this because to a degree, we wish we still were at that age, watching a certain TV show with our friends, or hanging out at the mall when it was a certain way, etc.

Therefore it makes us sad that what we liked as kids isn't still continuing to this day. Perhaps someone who's more comfortable with being a full-on adult, will have the mindset of, Yeah, I miss it a little, but it happens. That's all the past now, I grew up.

It's easier for the "adults at heart" to accept than the "kids at heart" maybe??? :D

Nostalgia isn't strictly an age thing. Like, when someone says they wish they were 10, 15 or 20 again, it's not JUST the age - they want to be back in the TIME PERIOD where they were that old too. I mean, geez, when I think of 1987 (my favorite personal year) being almost 20 years ago now, some days it just makes me wanna cry. No joke.

I had a happy childhood for the most part - that could have something to do with it too. As Chris said, the 80's are home in my mind too. But the 90's are hot on their trail now too. I'd say as far up as 1996, I feel nostalgic for now.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/05 at 6:42 am

Being officially the second oldest on this board I would like to say that most people feel an affinity
for a the decades preceding them.  There are things that went on that before I was born (set the way
back machine to 1951) that I wish I could have been in on, but on closer look I am certainly glad I'm
here not there.  One of the best things about being an older boarder is bragging about the things you
did get to see, and do, that you whippersnappers think is awsome.  One day you will be the older ones
so get busy and do stuff today that you will be able to brag about later.    ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/05 at 6:56 am

One of the best things about being an older boarder is bragging about the things you
did get to see, and do, that you whippersnappers think is awsome. One day you will be the older ones so get busy and do stuff today that you will be able to brag about later. ;)

True. ;)

On a much smaller level, I miss things as recently as 2003 or '04!

I just don't see myself in the year 2100 (if I'm still alive) reminiscing about the 2000's or the 2010's etc with near as much fondness as I do for 1981-96.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/05 at 7:06 am

True. ;)

I just don't see myself in the year 2100 (if I'm still alive) reminiscing about the 2000's or the 2010's etc with near as much fondness as I do for 1981-96.

I am not all that crazy about the '70's myself in terms of music and stuff, but I'll make a deal, in 2100 we can sit down and talk old times on this board(I'll be about 150 by then) the way things are going you never know.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/05 at 7:10 am

^ It's a deal. :)

Just wondering, in the 70's, did you miss your childhood in the 50's or your early teen years in the 60's? That's much like I do now in the 2000's.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/05 at 7:27 am

^ It's a deal. :)

Just wondering, in the 70's, did you miss your childhood in the 50's or your early teen years in the 60's? That's much like I do now in the 2000's.

I gotta say I had a great time growing up, but I have had a great time being "grown up".  It hasn't all been a bed of roses, and I have had my share of hard/sad times, but, I don't know, I don't regret my mistakes, it won't change things. I'm just been one of those people who does the best I can with where I am.

Written By: tv on 09/25/05 at 12:43 pm

Umm, where were you that you couldn't experience MTV when they actually played music? You are only three years younger than me.
I had basic TV and no cable TV. I didn't get any out of network channels like MTV or ESPN until December 1996.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/25/05 at 3:07 pm

I gotta say I had a great time growing up, but I have had a great time being "grown up".  It hasn't all been a bed of roses, and I have had my share of hard/sad times, but, I don't know, I don't regret my mistakes, it won't change things. I'm just been one of those people who does the best I can with where I am.

I agree Danoota. I really miss my childhood days, but now I can just reflect on them because at the time I took all that time for granted. So, now I have learned a lesson that all time is precious, and we must savor every moment - even if the music kinda sucks, lol

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/05 at 3:46 pm

I agree Danoota. I really miss my childhood days, but now I can just reflect on them because at the time I took all that time for granted. So, now I have learned a lesson that all time is precious, and we must savor every moment - even if the music kinda sucks, lol

My motto is try everything once(twice if you didn't like it the first time, you may have done it wrong) unless
it is something that can kill you(or cause irreparable damage).  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/25/05 at 3:52 pm

My motto is try everything once(twice if you didn't like it the first time, you may have done it wrong) unless
it is something that can kill you(or cause irreparable damage).   ;)

Yeah, that's true! and a big part of that is facing your fears - that's how you're ever going to get things done.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/25/05 at 7:32 pm

I had basic TV and no cable TV. I didn't get any out of network channels like MTV or ESPN until December 1996.

oh, okay! I see now!

Written By: jenniferhmnby123 on 10/08/10 at 9:49 pm

These are kids shows from the late 90's early 00's. i was born in 1998. what do i have, to remember? i wish i was an 80's / 90's kid  :( all the stuff on tv now is garbage

Written By: A on 10/09/10 at 9:02 am

I feel the same about being born in 1995! Maybe the '10s will be better.

Written By: Frank on 10/09/10 at 11:32 am

I wish I would have been born in the early 1940s.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/11/10 at 9:25 pm

I've felt the same way recently, too. I had (and I still do, to an extent) such strong nostalgia for the '90s that I wished that, instead of being born in 1991, I could have been born in 1981, so that not only could I have come of age in the '90s, I could also get a taste of the '80s.

Written By: Superflykid 2008 on 10/13/10 at 12:01 am

I've felt the same way recently, too. I had (and I still do, to an extent) such strong nostalgia for the '90s that I wished that, instead of being born in 1991, I could have been born in 1981, so that not only could I have come of age in the '90s, I could also get a taste of the '80s.

Yeah, I was born late 89...so november of 89. I dont really remmeber anything before 93, but even then i was kinda oblivious to 90s culture, except for cartoons obviously until around late 90s/early 00s. I techically turned 13 in 2002, but since my birthday is in november, i was 13 for most of 2003...i dunno. I think the late 90s/early 00s were my years. However, i kinda wished i was born in 1970, so i could be a 80s teen. But being a 90s kid was awesome, and being a teenager in the 00s was pretty cool too.

Written By: Davester on 10/13/10 at 12:05 am

I dont really remmeber anything before 93

And you're better-off for it...

Check for new replies or respond here...