inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battle of the 1 Hit Wonders

Written By: TarzSp on 10/07/05 at 2:41 am

I thought this might be a fun 90's related game, Battle of the 1 Hit Wonders. But we're doing it "Year vs Year" Style. So for instance, the first matchup will be 1992 -vs- 1997, I'll also list some 1 Hit Wonders that I can think of from these years

"Life is a Highway" - Tom Cochrane
"Baby Got Back" - Sir Mix A Lot
"I'm Too Sexy" - Right Said Fred
"Jump" - Kriss Kross
"Jump Around" - House Of Pain
"Rump Shaker" - Wreckx N Effect
"Finally" - CeCe Peniston
"To Be With You" - Mr. Big
"Achy Breakey Heart" - Billy Ray Cyrus

-vs-

"Sunny Came Home" - Shawn Colvin
"Tumbthumping" - Chumbawumba
"Mmm'Bop" - Hanson
"How Bizarre" - OMC
"One Headlight" - The Wallflowers
"Lovefool" - The Cardigans
"Return of the Mack" - Mark Morrison
"Your Woman" - Whitetown
"The Freshman" - Verve Pipe
"Barbie Girl" - Aqua

So, which year, in your opinion, had better 1 Hit Wonder Songs?

Subject: Re: Battle of the 1 Hit Wonders

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 10/07/05 at 5:37 am

I actually prefer music from 1992, but as far as these one hit wonders go, I'm gonna have to pick 1997. 'Return of the Mack' is a great song. Too bad Mark Morrison flushed his career down the toilet right before this song got popular. Did he ever get out of prison?

Written By: karen on 10/07/05 at 6:12 am

Too bad Mark Morrison flushed his career down the toilet right before this song got popular. Did he ever get out of prison?

According to this site he is out of prison and trying to relaunch his career.

http://beehive.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=Sitheome&ID=8354&PageID=44908

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 12:54 pm

A few of the artists listed aren't one hit wonders, most especially Tom Cochrane.  He had many hits in the 80's as a member of Red Rider :)

I think i'll have to go with 1992 overall.  So many great songs that year :)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/07/05 at 3:07 pm

I guess I should be more specific.  1 Hit Wonders in "America"

I didn't even acknowledge the fact that some of these people might not have been 1 Hit Wonders in other Countries  8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 3:31 pm

I guess I should be more specific.  1 Hit Wonders in "America"

I didn't even acknowledge the fact that some of these people might not have been 1 Hit Wonders in other Countries  8)

Alot of these artists had a bunch of minor hits in America, but if you're going by top 40 hits, then these three are the only exceptions (HAnson might be also, but I am not sure):

Aqua had 2 top 40 hits
CeCe Peniston had 3 top 40 hits
Mr. Big had 3 top 40 hits

:P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/07/05 at 4:36 pm

Written By: TarzSp on 10/07/05 at 4:40 pm

Hanson will always be remembered as a "1 Hit Wonder", their first song "Mmm'Bop" was Huge at the time and then afterwards, there other songs never did that great, and I wouldent consider them "Hits" either

Same with Aqua, anyone from America will tell you that "Barbie Girl" is one of the more recognizable 1 Hit Wonder Songs of the 90's

Also, other people from America will tell you that CeCe Peniston and Mr. Big are considered "1 Hit Wonders"

There are alot of Artists who are 1 Hit Wonders in America who may have had a couple of more songs on the Top 40 Charts, but those songs never came close to the popularity or success as their 1 Hit Wonder song (Vanilla Ice, Snow, MC Hammer, Des'ree, Kris Kross, The Cardigans, Jesus Jones, Big Mountain, Divinyls, Cathy Dennis, Barenaked Ladies, Del Amitri, No Mercy, Tonic) Just to name a few

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 7:17 pm

There are alot of Artists who are 1 Hit Wonders in America who may have had a couple of more songs on the Top 40 Charts, but those songs never came close to the popularity or success as their 1 Hit Wonder song

LOL sorry to be a pain again, but if they have more than 1 top 40 hit, that eliminates them from One Hit Wonder status. 

There are many artists out there who never reach the top 40, but still build a following based on minor hits, but because they never reach the top 40, their songs never get played on the radio.  I often find that alot of the minor chart hits are better than the ones that actually make the top 40.  Just my two cents though :)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/07/05 at 7:24 pm

Here in America, we have a different way of defining a "1 Hit Wonder"

I just get so irritated by picky people who point out that someone happened to have another song in the Top 40 Charts so that automatically eliminated them from being a 1 Hit Wonder

So then by your logic, Vanilla Ice is not a 1 Hit Wonder (And here in America, we consider him the Poster Boy for 1 Hit Wonders), also Dishwalla, who has one of my favorite songs of the 90's (Counting Blue Cars) actually had another song in the Top 40 but it was only on the Charts for about 1 week at like #39 (Not a "Hit" by any means) and that was it, so is he no longer considered a 1 Hit Wonder?

Anyway, not to sound like a pain, but since this is my thread, we'll go by the "American" way of 1 Hit Wonderism. Trust me on this one, I know who is and who isn't a 1 Hit Wonder in America  ;)

I have to admit though that I'm surprised the people in Canada apparently get different music and different hits then Americans, I would have assumed we would get the same music and hits

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 7:36 pm

I have to admit though that I'm surprised the people in Canada apparently get different music and different hits then Americans, I would have assumed we would get the same music and hits

Alot of the stuff we get in Canada is based on American media, so we get the Billboard Charts as well as our Canadian Charts :)

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 7:40 pm

So then by your logic, Vanilla Ice is not a 1 Hit Wonder (And here in America, we consider him the Poster Boy for 1 Hit Wonders)

He was a two hit wonder.  His second single 'Play that Funky Music' reached the top 5 :)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/07/05 at 8:48 pm

He was a two hit wonder.  His second single 'Play that Funky Music' reached the top 5 :)

It doesent matter, that song isn't anywhere near as popular as "Ice Ice baby"

Vanilla Ice is a 1 Hit Wonder, plain and simple

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/08/05 at 1:26 am

What about " RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW" Jesus Jones.. I know they had other songs but that was a great 1 hit wonder in my book! ;D

Written By: TarzSp on 10/08/05 at 1:29 am

What about " RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW" Jesus Jones.. I know they had other songs but that was a great 1 hit wonder in my book! ;D

That was a 1991 Song

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 1:40 am

I love Jesus Jones.  I used to always get them mixed up with EMF because they both came out around the same time, and both with a few catchy tunes :)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/08/05 at 5:28 am

Okay, 1997 wins with a Vote of 3-1, now moving on to the next matchup

"Missing" - Everything But The Girl
"Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Nicki French
"I'll Be There For You" - The Rembrandts
"Back For Good" - Take That
"Breakfast At Tiffany's" - Deep Blue Something
"This Is How We Do It" - Montell Jordan
"Roll To Me" - Del Amitri
"Good" - Better Than Ezra
"In the House of Stone and Light" - Martin Page

"Counting Blue Cars" - Dishwalla
"Macarena" - Los Del Rio
"Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" - Primitive Radio Gods
"Nobody Knows" - Tony Rich Project
"One Of Us" - Joan Osbourne
"Mouth" - Merril Bainbridge
"Where Do You Go" - No Mercy
"Closer To Free" - The Bodeans

I would have to go with 1996 on this one, even though 1995 is personally my favorite year of the entire 90's.  Plus, "Counting Blue Cars" is just too awesome of a song

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 9:10 am

I'll take 1995 on this one.  I really liked most of those songs :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/05 at 9:45 am

1995! There were some good songs in 1996, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...