inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Food Products of the 90's

Written By: TarzSp on 10/09/05 at 12:44 am

I just remembered a couple of Food/Drink Products from the 90's and I wanted to know if anyone else remembered them also, I also wanted some more information on these products as well because I have a hard time remembering them that well

First off, there were these 2 Soft Drinks that came out around 1995/1996, they were called "Kick" and "Josta"

"Kick Soda" tasted kind of like Mellow Yellow and I remember it having "WARNING" Labels on it. I remember taking cans of it to school with me back in the 5th Grade when we would go out to Recess and play Kick Ball  :D. I used to LOVE that drink, does anyone else remember it?

Also, "Josta" came out around 1995 and I remember that the Label on the Bottle/Can had a picture of a Panther/Cheetah or something, here is a picture I just found of it (on eBay, some guy is selling an un-opened can of it), http://cgi.ebay.com/JOSTA-soda-one-12-ounce-unopened-can-of-Josta-soda_W0QQitemZ5621556248QQcategoryZ1467QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/12/3c/c8_1.JPG?set_id=7

From what I can remember, the Taste was very unique, it tasted like a mixture of...Coke and Grape Hawaiin Punch....or maybe not...it's kind of hard to describe it. Anyone remember it? And maybe can describe the taste a little better?

And last but not least, back in the Mid 90's, there were these type of Kids Salad Dressings that were popular at the time and I used to always get them, they came in "Pizza", "Taco" and "Nacho" Flavors I believe. I think they were made by "Kraft".  Anyone know more about these Dressings and what they were called?

Any help on any of these products is appreciated dearly  8)

Subject: Re: Food Products of te 90's

Written By: TarzSp on 10/09/05 at 1:06 am

Wow, I just spent forever trying to Google "Kick Soda" and I actually found a Picture of it

http://www.radiantdesign.biz/Radiant_Images/kick-family-1.jpg

There is another picture that was the actual ones I remember, some guy edited the picture though and put "Seven" and took out the word "Kick"

http://hethrael.com/seven/images/kick.gif

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 10/10/05 at 6:03 am

I remember Josta, but not the others. The 1990's was not a good decade for food. Nothing very memorable. I crave nothing that came out then. Remember the Arch Deluxe? The worst hamburger in history!

Written By: TarzSp on 10/10/05 at 7:52 am

I remember Josta, but not the others. The 1990's was not a good decade for food. Nothing very memorable. I crave nothing that came out then. Remember the Arch Deluxe? The worst hamburger in history!

Oh Man, I loved the Arch Deluxe. I remember the Ads saying that it was a Burger for "Grown Ups" and I kept wanting one so I could feel like a Grown Up

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/10/05 at 3:55 pm

Oh Man, I loved the Arch Deluxe. I remember the Ads saying that it was a Burger for "Grown Ups" and I kept wanting one so I could feel like a Grown Up

I think I remember that. Was that at McDonald's, circa 1996?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had this commercial - the setting was a baseball field or something of that nature. The garbage picker -- an older guy who seemed a little grumpy, but in a funny way, lol -- was picking up trash and muttering, "Darn kids. Gosh, darn these kids".

Then after the ad, they cut back to the old man picking up an Arch Deluxe wrapper and saying, "Darn grownups!" ;D

I always got a kick out of that - in fact, I always inteded to tape it, but by the time I was ready, it stopped airing. :(

That little side story aside, it was 9 years ago so I kinda forget - but why was it called a "burger for grown ups"?

Written By: nally on 10/10/05 at 3:57 pm

I remember ads for processed fruit snack products in the early 90's, such as Fruit Roll Ups and Fruit By The Foot, both of which I have eaten.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/10/05 at 4:04 pm

Also, for the record, I never heard of Kick Soda at all - this is the first I've known of it.

I was 14-turned 15 in 1996 too. I guess I either wasn't paying attention at the right time, or it was really shortlived, lol.

On the subject of soda though, I definitely recall the various Mountain Dew ads, circa 1992. One involved a couple guys water surfing or something along those lines.

Written By: nally on 10/10/05 at 4:07 pm

On the subject of soda though, I definitely recall the various Mountain Dew ads, circa 1992. One involved a couple guys water surfing or something along those lines.

I seem to recall around that time, their advertising slogan was "Get Vertical With Dew."

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/10/05 at 4:08 pm

^ Yeah, that was it. :)

From late 1990 to mid 1993 I was glued to the TV (when I was home). Especially VH1. I can recall countless commercials from then.

Written By: nally on 10/10/05 at 4:21 pm

^ Yeah, that was it. :)

From late 1990 to mid 1993 I was glued to the TV (when I was home). Especially VH1. I can recall countless commercials from then.

Me too. I primarily watched cartoons (and other kid shows) up until 1992 or so. I was 10-12 years old at the time, but I still found cartoons from that time funny. I mentioned in an earlier post about ads for fruit snacks...I especially remember Fruit By Foot. It's still being made today, but when it was introduced, in 1991, they just had the strawberry, grape, and cherry flavors.

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/05 at 6:38 pm

Anyone remember Fruitslush?

"Mish-mush, I'm mushin' Fruit Slush, doin' the Fruit Slush Mush"  ;D

Written By: TarzSp on 10/10/05 at 6:54 pm

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had this commercial - the setting was a baseball field or something of that nature. The garbage picker -- an older guy who seemed a little grumpy, but in a funny way, lol -- was picking up trash and muttering, "Darn kids. Gosh, darn these kids".

Then after the ad, they cut back to the old man picking up an Arch Deluxe wrapper and saying, "Darn grownups!" ;D

I always got a kick out of that - in fact, I always inteded to tape it, but by the time I was ready, it stopped airing. :(

That little side story aside, it was 9 years ago so I kinda forget - but why was it called a "burger for grown ups"?

I'm not sure, but I remember hearing that the Arch Deluxe had "Grown Up Sauce" on the Burger, and I always wanted to try it.  The funny thing is, the "Grown Up Sauce" tasted just like that special sauce that they put on the Big Mac's

Written By: Sparkina on 10/10/05 at 9:46 pm

Well, slap me sideways and call me Carlos! I haven't thought about that commercial for "yonks," as Pink Floyd said (I've been over the edge for yonks, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON). Never had a FruitSlush, but I remember that commercial. Thanks for the memory! Now I have to go check for gray hairs

Written By: Sparkina on 10/10/05 at 9:50 pm

It was a marketing thing, and it was kind of stupid, if you ask me. I mean, since when is food age-grouped?

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/05 at 9:53 pm

Well, slap me sideways and call me Carlos! I haven't thought about that commercial for "yonks," as Pink Floyd said (I've been over the edge for yonks, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON). Never had a FruitSlush, but I remember that commercial. Thanks for the memory! Now I have to go check for gray hairs

;D

Written By: nally on 10/11/05 at 11:28 am

Yeah, but I think it was from the 80's, like April/May 1989.

Subject: Re: Food Products of the 90's

Written By: cguarino05 on 10/12/05 at 10:14 pm

i remember the arch delux, and the kick soda, not the josta...does nebody remember the got milk ads though? wasn't it someone would eat a huge ammount of peaunt butter then go to the fride for a glass of millk and the container would be empty. i know there were more but dont member what they were of  ::)

Written By: Audrey on 10/12/05 at 10:27 pm

I remember that one pop called "Surge", was like a Mountain Dew type pop but with extra caffeine.  The slogan was "Feed the Rush" I believe.  

I do recall the Pizza flavored salad dressing but I never tried it.

Oh, and does anyone remember the cereal called "Hidden Treasures"? Once they were on sale and my mom bought some, I tried them and swore I was in heaven, lol.  Here's a pic:
http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-generalmills5.html
Scroll down to Hidden Treasures

Yeah the Got Milk ads would kill me.  Like the one where the kid eats this huge brownie and then goes to the snack machine for a little carton of milk and the carton gets stuck.

Speaking of milk, does anyone remember Smilk?  It was like fruit flavored milk, the idea seemed OK but I think they had flavors like grape which sounds kinda gross if it was combined with milk.

Written By: JarethsCrystal on 10/14/05 at 1:35 pm

I am pretty sure that this was a '90's product.

Does anyone remember s'mores? They were pre-made smores that you put in the microwave and the marshmallow puffed up and everything. Man did I love those. When I bring them up no one even knows what the heck I am talking about.

Written By: nally on 10/20/05 at 12:46 pm

I am pretty sure that this was a '90's product.

Does anyone remember s'mores? They were pre-made smores that you put in the microwave and the marshmallow puffed up and everything. Man did I love those. When I bring them up no one even knows what the heck I am talking about.

They've probably been around a long time. But I think I may remember an advert for them in the late 80's or early 90's.

Written By: Satish on 10/21/05 at 5:21 pm

Hey, you can't talk about food products of the 90s without mentioning Crystal Pepsi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Pepsi
http://crystalpepsi.captainmike.org/
http://crystalpepsi.captainmike.org/crystal_bottle5.jpg

It had to be the biggest soft drink fad of all time. A transparent version of Pepsi's regular cola. And it was a mega-flop, too.

I remember it came out in the summer of 93 with a huge marketing blitz. They wanted people to think it was somehow more "pure" than regular cola because it was clear. The ads on tv featured the Van Halen song "Right Now" and imitated its video.

But it didn't catch on. It tasted just like regular Pepsi, except it was a bit weaker. It felt funny, because it tasted like Pepsi but didn't look like it. Hardly anything memorable. It was gone after about a year.

My mom bought a few cases of the stuff for us, so I had the chance to drink several cans of it. Whenever I think of 1993, I always think of Crystal Pepsi.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/21/05 at 5:27 pm

I remember Crystal Pepsi, I think I only had 1, but I still remember getting it.  I was at "Red Giraffe" (Video Store) and I saw there little case of soft drinks to buy and I got me a Crystal Pepsi  8)

Written By: rich1981 on 10/21/05 at 5:28 pm

I may be the only one here who likes Crystal Pepsi.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/21/05 at 5:31 pm

How was it any different than regular Pepsi? (other than the color)

I don't see how someone can like regular pepsi, but not like crystal pepsi

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/21/05 at 7:33 pm

I remember getting a Crystal Pepsi circa Summer of '92 and I just remember it tasting very weak and less sudsey as it's darker counterpart. I didn't like it much at all.

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/05 at 8:48 pm

Remember those Cap'n Crunch Cereal Bars?  Do they still make those?  They also came in Crunch Berries flavour

I know they still make Kellogg's Cereal Bars (Frosted Flakes ...), but I haven't seen Cap'n Crunch bars on the shelves since the late 90's

Written By: TarzSp on 10/21/05 at 8:55 pm

Remember those Cap'n Crunch Cereal Bars?  Do they still make those?  They also came in Crunch Berries flavour

I know they still make Kellogg's Cereal Bars (Frosted Flakes ...), but I haven't seen Cap'n Crunch bars on the shelves since the late 90's

Oh yeah, I definately remember the Cap'n Crunch Berry Cerial Bars. I still remember having one every morning before school around Fall 1997

Written By: nally on 10/22/05 at 12:42 am

I think I liked it when it came out in 1992 (or was it early '93?).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/05 at 12:56 am

I used to like all of the different kinds of fruit roll-ups and fruit snacks that they kept coming out with....you couldn't keep up with all of them!

Erin :)

Written By: nally on 10/22/05 at 1:10 am

I used to like all of the different kinds of fruit roll-ups and fruit snacks that they kept coming out with....you couldn't keep up with all of them!

So did I! My favorite of those processed fruit snacks was Fruit By The Foot, which was one yard (36 inches) long when you unrolled it. I even remember the tv advertisement for it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/05 at 1:12 am

So did I! My favorite of those processed fruit snacks was Fruit By The Foot, which was one yard (36 inches) long when you unrolled it. I even remember the tv advertisement for it.

yes, I totally remember that! My mom used to buy those sorts of things so that we could pack them in our school lunch bags, whenever we chose to bring our lunch to school.

Written By: nally on 10/24/05 at 12:27 pm

Anyone remember Eggo-Mini's (miniature-sized Eggo waffles)? I don't know if they're still being made today, but I remember when they were introduced in 1992. They were about one-fourth the size of regular Eggo's.

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/05 at 12:30 pm

Anyone remember Eggo-Mini's (miniature-sized Eggo waffles)? I don't know if they're still being made today, but I remember when they were introduced in 1992. They were about one-fourth the size of regular Eggo's.

holy smokes... i haven't thought of those things in a while.  They were great.  If I remember, they came 4 stick together end to end.  I miss those.  I used to eat them like crackers :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/24/05 at 1:08 pm

I know these are rather an "80's" food item, but I think they left in the late 90's, so I guess technically they are a 90's food product. What I am talking about are those cookies that Mcdonalds made - those chocalate chip cookies that were sooo delicious!  I am very sure they don't sell them anymore, as they changed to the bigger and softer ones in the late 90's/early 00's.

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/05 at 8:42 pm

I know these are rather an "80's" food item, but I think they left in the late 90's, so I guess technically they are a 90's food product. What I am talking about are those cookies that Mcdonalds made - those chocalate chip cookies that were sooo delicious!  I am very sure they don't sell them anymore, as they changed to the bigger and softer ones in the late 90's/early 00's.

Those McDonalds Chocolate Chip cookies were very good.  I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid

Written By: mh on 10/29/05 at 1:59 pm

does anyone know where i can find the smores that were  pre made , all you hade to do was put them in the microwave for a few seconds, and  you hade the best smores ever..!

Written By: TarzSp on 11/09/05 at 4:43 pm

AHHH HOLY COW!!  I FOUND IT!

I was looking on Retrojunk.com and on the Commercials page I found a Commercial for the "Hidden Valley Kids Dressings" I was talking about in the Original post.  It came in Nacho, Taco, Pizza, Super Cheese, etc...

Here is the commercial
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/724/

Written By: TarzSp on 11/09/05 at 5:04 pm

Here you go  :)  http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/619/

Written By: TarzSp on 11/09/05 at 5:32 pm

Wow, I'm on a real Nostalgic Food kick today.

I Have a question though.  Does ANYONE remember "Planters P.B. Crisps"?? They were Big looking peanuts but had peanut butter filling in it.  Here is the commercial
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/159/

And here is the best picture I could find of it
http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/6053/images4ns.jpg

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone remembers what year these were from??  I remember getting a pack of them when they were brand new and it was around Thanksgiving (Maybe either 1991 or 1992)

Written By: audkal on 11/09/05 at 10:31 pm

Wow, I'm on a real Nostalgic Food kick today.

I Have a question though.  Does ANYONE remember "Planters P.B. Crisps"?? They were Big looking peanuts but had peanut butter filling in it.  Here is the commercial
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/159/

And here is the best picture I could find of it
http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/6053/images4ns.jpg

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone remembers what year these were from??  I remember getting a pack of them when they were brand new and it was around Thanksgiving (Maybe either 1991 or 1992)

Yes!!!  PB crisps ruled!  My brother used to say they looked like praying-mantis egg cases (ewww).  I have no idea why they took them off the market, they were so good!

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/10/05 at 9:54 am

This was probably only in Australia, but i love those bisciuts called Nix Nax by Arnott's. 1993 was about the year i used to chow down on those babies. I wonder if they are still making em, i haven't bothered to check lately.
I loved Ring Pops too, but they are still around, i just got one the other day for old times sake.

Written By: 99moore on 11/10/05 at 10:03 am

Remember taco bell and pizza hut doritos. I think they were 94-96?

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/10/05 at 3:02 pm

i remember cristal*SP pepsi

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/10/05 at 7:32 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Echo Nomad on 12/10/05 at 10:12 pm

1- Crystal Pepsi - Still have a bottle of that somewhere.
2- Surge- Never drank it, but remember MST3K making fun of the commercial.
3- Taco Bell 3 alarm taco- man, I loved it's unique flavor. 

Written By: Stompgal on 12/12/05 at 6:56 am

Sunny Delight
Cadbury's Astros
McCain Micro Pizzas
Walls Sausages (Breadcrumb coated)

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/12/05 at 9:46 am

I just remembered a couple of Food/Drink Products from the 90's and I wanted to know if anyone else remembered them also, I also wanted some more information on these products as well because I have a hard time remembering them that well

First off, there were these 2 Soft Drinks that came out around 1995/1996, they were called "Kick" and "Josta"

"Kick Soda" tasted kind of like Mellow Yellow and I remember it having "WARNING" Labels on it. I remember taking cans of it to school with me back in the 5th Grade when we would go out to Recess and play Kick Ball  :D. I used to LOVE that drink, does anyone else remember it?

Don't remember those- but in NY state we had "JOLT" cola. Their slogan was "Twice the caffine and all the sugar too!"  Good stuff!! ;)

Also, "Josta" came out around 1995 and I remember that the Label on the Bottle/Can had a picture of a Panther/Cheetah or something, here is a picture I just found of it (on eBay, some guy is selling an un-opened can of it), http://cgi.ebay.com/JOSTA-soda-one-12-ounce-unopened-can-of-Josta-soda_W0QQitemZ5621556248QQcategoryZ1467QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/12/3c/c8_1.JPG?set_id=7

From what I can remember, the Taste was very unique, it tasted like a mixture of...Coke and Grape Hawaiin Punch....or maybe not...it's kind of hard to describe it. Anyone remember it? And maybe can describe the taste a little better?

And last but not least, back in the Mid 90's, there were these type of Kids Salad Dressings that were popular at the time and I used to always get them, they came in "Pizza", "Taco" and "Nacho" Flavors I believe. I think they were made by "Kraft".  Anyone know more about these Dressings and what they were called?

Any help on any of these products is appreciated dearly  8)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 1:34 am

Give me a Crystal Pepsi and a 3 alarm taco any day!

Written By: nally on 03/06/06 at 1:05 pm

Sunny Delight
Cadbury's Astros
McCain Micro Pizzas
Walls Sausages (Breadcrumb coated)

I think they still make Sunny D. ;)

Written By: eightbitgirl on 03/07/06 at 11:28 am

in addition to Crystal Pepsi, didn't Coke have Coke Clear or something to compete with it?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/07/06 at 7:36 pm

Anyone remember Pepsi Kona or Crystal Pepsi? I actually liked Pepsi Kona...
and what about McDonald's short lived McDLT? the environmentalists flipped out about the McDLT's packaging!

Written By: nally on 03/09/06 at 4:31 pm

in addition to Crystal Pepsi, didn't Coke have Coke Clear or something to compete with it?

I think so, but I don't remember what it was. :-\\

Written By: amy on 03/28/06 at 12:26 pm

Does anyone recall Fundamental snacks...I actually don't remember the exact name but they were in the individually greeen packets  that came 6 packets/green box. And it was this crunchy cookie and chocoloate snack...omigod...did I love those...and I can't even remember their names :(

Written By: nally on 04/15/10 at 11:29 pm

I saw a guest viewing this thread a little while ago, so I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane...

Found it on Youtube!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sMBQvffBSo

It says 1992, but I know for a fact that this ad premiered in late 1991, around October or so. But it did stay on the air for several months.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/10 at 8:37 pm

LOL a TarzSp thread.  I'd nearly forgotten about that nut ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...