inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Macarena" from 1995?

Written By: TarzSp on 10/14/05 at 12:27 pm

I just had this one little question, because i'm looking at the Billboard Hot 50 Chart from this day in 1995, and at #49 they have "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)" by Los Del Rio. It's at this site http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/ago/rewind.jsp?REWIND_YEAR=10&which=hot100&start=26 , just scroll down to #49

Now, I could have sworn that the Macarena wasn't released untill the Summer of 1996

Did the Macarena originally come out in the Fall of 1995 or something? Did anyone remember hearing the song back in 1995?  This confuses me

Subject: Re: "Macarena" from 1995?

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/05 at 1:06 pm

The Macarena was originally a hit in Spain in 1993.  In September of 1995, the Bayside Boys remixed it, added english lyrics and it peaked in the Billboard Charts at #45.  Constant club play eventually sent the song to #1 in July of 1996 where it spent 14 weeks there and sold 4 million copies world wide.  It also entered the UK charts at #2

In late 1995, a group called Los Del Mar released a version of it, but the lack of a club version lessened the impact of the release and although it entered the Billboard Charts, it failed to reach the top 40

There was also a version in December of 1996 called the Macarena Christmas by Los Del Rio.  It was also a minor hit

Written By: TarzSp on 10/15/05 at 1:48 am

That's weird, it just had me really confused, because according to http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/1996/05-18.htm , it first hit the Top 40 Charts in America on May 18th, 1996 (Like I originally though)

And it was at #1 on the the Top 40 Charts for 3 Weeks in August 1996 http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/1996/08-24.htm

That would be unusual for a song to come out in the Summer/Fall of 1995 and somehow be ressurrected about a year later and become extremely popular.  I mean, I wonder why it wasn't nearly as popular in 1995 like it was in 1996?

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/15/05 at 2:23 am

The Macarena was originally a hit in Spain in 1993.

..and to some extent elsewhere in Europe too (reaching #20 in The Netherlands, for instance).

In September of 1995, the Bayside Boys remixed it, added english lyrics and it peaked in the Billboard Charts at #45.  Constant club play eventually sent the song to #1 in July of 1996 where it spent 14 weeks there and sold 4 million copies world wide.  It also entered the UK charts at #2

It was #1 in The Netherlands for 4 weeks, and spent a total of 26 weeks in our Top 40.

In late 1995, a group called Los Del Mar released a version of it, but the lack of a club version lessened the impact of the release and although it entered the Billboard Charts, it failed to reach the top 40

There was also a version in December of 1996 called the Macarena Christmas by Los Del Rio.  It was also a minor hit

Neither of those were successful in The Netherlands, though Macarena Christmas still gets some airplay when it's that time of year...

None of this information is useful to you, but I thought I'd give it to you anyway. ;)

Written By: Billy on 10/16/05 at 12:56 pm

I remember Macarena being played at almost every ride at the Dixie Classic Fair in October of 1996.

Written By: nally on 10/16/05 at 4:13 pm

I just had this one little question, because i'm looking at the Billboard Hot 50 Chart from this day in 1995, and at #49 they have "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)" by Los Del Rio. It's at this site http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/ago/rewind.jsp?REWIND_YEAR=10&which=hot100&start=26 , just scroll down to #49

Now, I could have sworn that the Macarena wasn't released untill the Summer of 1996

Did the Macarena originally come out in the Fall of 1995 or something? Did anyone remember hearing the song back in 1995?  This confuses me

As a matter of fact, I do remember hearing the Bayside Boys Mix of Los Del Rio's "Macarena" (with English verses by a woman) on the radio in late 1995.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/16/05 at 4:22 pm

You know what, now that I think about it, maybe I actually remember it from Late 1995 as well.  I remember that the first time I ever heard the Macarena was during Christmas, but I could never remember if it was Christmas of 1995 or 1996, but I'm thinking that there is no freaking way I could have heard the Macarena for the first time during Late 1996, I would have heard it during the Summer because of how popular it is, so I guess I do remember hearing it during Christmas of 1995

I also remember that during Christmas of 1995, that was when I got my very first Boom Box Radio, and I still remember like the first 3 songs that came on the radio when I was listening, they were "Waterfalls" by TLC, "I Got 5 On It" by Luniz, and i'm pretty sure it was also "Macarena"

Oh yeah, and some Annoying Christmas Song called "Feliz Navidad" or something like that  :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/16/05 at 7:51 pm

Either way, it was annoying and overplayed...  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/05 at 8:13 pm

Either way, it was annoying and overplayed...  ::)

I agree 100%

Written By: nally on 10/18/05 at 1:14 pm

Maybe so, but I kinda liked it.

And if anyone here has watched the cartoon series "Animaniacs", there was an episode where they did a parody of the song entitled "Macadamia" (as in the nut); i found it hilarious.

Written By: bj26 on 10/19/05 at 9:56 am

Funniest thing I ever heard was a remake of the song by Ron & Ron where they substituted Macarena for Chupacabra,

There's a creature that lives way down in Puerto Rico
In the woods and they say he's chewing on a goat
Woaaaa Chupacabra! ;D

Anyone know the lyrics to it?

Written By: nally on 10/19/05 at 2:48 pm

Funniest thing I ever heard was a remake of the song by Ron & Ron where they substituted Macarena for Chupacabra,

There's a creature that lives way down in Puerto Rico
In the woods and they say he's chewing on a goat
Woaaaa Chupacabra! ;D

Anyone know the lyrics to it?
No...never heard of it. I can't even sing those lines to the tune of "Macarena." :-\\

However, I think they recently used the macarena song in a DISGUSTING Pepto-Bismal tv commercial, which I truly HATE!! :P http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/puke.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/05 at 2:56 pm

No...never heard of it. I can't even sing those lines to the tune of "Macarena." :-\\

The lyrics go as:

When I dance they call me macarena
and the boys they say that I´m buena
they all want me, they can´t have me
So they all come and dance beside me
move with me jam with me
and if your good i take you home with me
A la tuhuelpa legria macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria macarena Eeeh, macarena
A-Hai 2x
Now don´t you worry ´bout my boy friend
the boy who´s name is Nicorino
I don´t want him, ´cause sent him
he was no good so I - hahaaaa
Now, come on, what was I supposed to do ?
He was outta town and his two friends were soooo fine
Ref. 2x
Claps Ahai Ahai
Keys
Ref. 2x
Lach
Come and find me, my name is Macarena
always at the party,
´cause the chicos think I´m buena
come join me, dance with me
and all your fellows cat hello with me
Ref. 5x

Written By: nally on 10/19/05 at 2:58 pm

Phil, I was referring to bj26's post. Yes I know the words of the original; I listened to it a lot when it dominated the U.S. charts nine years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/05 at 3:00 pm

Phil, I was referring to bj26's post. Yes I know the words of the original; I listened to it a lot when it dominated the U.S. charts nine years ago.
Sorry, a mis-reading of posts.

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/05 at 3:08 pm

Macarena is hard to sing along to.  It remind me of 'Informer' by Snow.  You know the lyrics, but you can't really sing them intune with the song.  It's quite difficult

Written By: nally on 10/19/05 at 3:37 pm

Macarena is hard to sing along to.  It remind me of 'Informer' by Snow.  You know the lyrics, but you can't really sing them intune with the song.  It's quite difficult
That's probably because most of the lyrics are in Spanish. Only the Bayside Boys Mix (which features verses by the girl in English) is somewhat easy for me to sing along to, because it contains some English.

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/27/05 at 9:06 pm

That would be unusual for a song to come out in the Summer/Fall of 1995 and somehow be ressurrected about a year later and become extremely popular.  I mean, I wonder why it wasn't nearly as popular in 1995 like it was in 1996?

It was pretty popular in clubs in the last half of 1995.  Many times dance music that has an impact in clubs doesn't ever hit the charts or hits the Top 40 much after their release.

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/05 at 9:09 pm

Many times dance music that has an impact in clubs doesn't ever hit the charts or hits the Top 40 much after their release.

It's sad that more dance music doesn't break into the Billboard top 40  :\'(

Written By: nally on 10/28/05 at 12:28 am

It's sad that more dance music doesn't break into the Billboard top 40 :\'(

A lot of "new wave" songs of the 80's never broke into the Billboard Top 40 (at least in the U.S.) either; they probably did well in the U.K. though. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/05 at 10:34 am

Can anyone here own up to having this record?

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 10:16 pm

I can proudly say that I do not own a copy of any version of the Macarena.  I do however have it on an old compilation cassette though. 

Here's some trivia:  The Los Del Mar version (which wasn't Canadian) qualifies as Canadian Content because it was recorded and produced in Canada  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/23/05 at 1:09 pm

I have a video of my wedding which our DJ played the Macarena. The funny thing was watching my dad TRYING to do it.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/23/05 at 5:22 pm

I can proudly say that I do not own a copy of any version of the Macarena.

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 5:27 pm

Los Del Mar featuring Wil Veloz did a version of the Macarena.  It hit the US charts in 1996, just some 10 months after Los Del Rio's version first hit the U.S. charts

I can never tell which version is which.  They both sound almost identical

Check for new replies or respond here...