inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Time proves movie critics wrong sometimes... Ebert panned this one...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/05 at 12:52 pm

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19950331/REVIEWS/503310304/1023

I think most people would disagree with this review, even a year after it came out, but especially now.

Subject: Re: Time proves movie critics wrong sometimes... Ebert panned this one...

Written By: TarzSp on 10/24/05 at 12:56 pm

That review was written on March 31st, 1995. It even says so

I'm also confused about what you're trying to say, do you think Ebert was right with his Review of Tommy Boy or do you think he was wrong?

I remember Ebert gave a Negative Review for "Groundhog Day" when it originally came out, and then just last year he Re-Reviewed it and gave it a very positive review

Subject: Re: Time proves movie critics wrong sometimes... Ebert panned this one...

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/05 at 1:03 pm

Usually with movie reviews I find ... If Ebert likes it, then the movie sucks.  If Ebert hates it, then it's a really good film.  But the odd time he actually is dead on with his reviews

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/24/05 at 1:14 pm

I don't think in most people's minds that "Tommy Boy" was a movie that reigns as great. It was okay, but I would agree with Ebert on this one. Now, I just wonder what he thought of the great comedy that is way overlooked, 2004's "Stuck On You."....

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/05 at 1:34 pm

That review was written on March 31st, 1995. It even says so

I'm also confused about what you're trying to say, do you think Ebert was right with his Review of Tommy Boy or do you think he was wrong?

I remember Ebert gave a Negative Review for "Groundhog Day" when it originally came out, and then just last year he Re-Reviewed it and gave it a very positive review

I think he was wrong at the time he reviewed it, and I'm curious if he revisited it now if he'd still think the same...

I loved Groundhog Day when I first saw it.  I try and watch it every February now...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/05 at 1:36 pm

I don't think in most people's minds that "Tommy Boy" was a movie that reigns as great. It was okay, but I would agree with Ebert on this one. Now, I just wonder what he thought of the great comedy that is way overlooked, 2004's "Stuck On You."....

maybe not "Lawrence of Arabia" great, but certainly not a one star movie.  I've seen Ebert give better reviews to stuff that shouldn't have even been made.  A one star movie is something like "Duece Bigelow: European Gigolo" (which had some interesting movie critic controversy with Rob Schneider"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/24/05 at 1:55 pm

maybe not "Lawrence of Arabia" great, but certainly not a one star movie.  I've seen Ebert give better reviews to stuff that shouldn't have even been made.  A one star movie is something like "Duece Bigelow: European Gigolo" (which had some interesting movie critic controversy with Rob Schneider"

Yeah, there are much worse.. lol. But, according to his scale of stars  (which isn't accurate in a very real sense of the word), one star would probably fit "Tommy Boy" (maybe 1 1/2 would be more accurate, though). But, if he rated it on a 1-10 scale, "Tommy Boy" would probably be a 4 (in my opinion). 1-10 scales give more room for extremes of opinion. It's really hard to base a movie on just 4 stars because there are many levels to judge a movie on.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 2:36 pm

I think he was wrong at the time he reviewed it, and I'm curious if he revisited it now if he'd still think the same...

I loved Groundhog Day when I first saw it.  I try and watch it every February now...

I loved Groundhog Day...

Specially the scene where Bill Murray smashes the radio, after it plays the same song as the before that, and the day before that!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...