inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite "Weird Al" Song Parody of the 90s?

Written By: TarzSp on 10/26/05 at 10:31 pm

So, what's your pick?

My favorite was "Smells Like Nirvana".  He totally ripped into Nirvana  ;D

I loved the chorus.  "Now I'm Mumblin!.....And I'm SCREAMIN'!....And I Don't Know.....What I'm Singin'!...We're a Grunge Band....From Seattle....Well it Sure Beats....Raisin' Cattle!

Subject: Re: Favorite "Weird Al" Song Parody of the 90s?

Written By: Electric Youth on 10/26/05 at 10:32 pm

"Headline News"  :D  ;D

Written By: TarzSp on 10/26/05 at 10:37 pm

"Headline News" was a good one.  I think the funniest one was probably "All About The Pentiums", he had one of the Funniest lines I ever heard, he said "You're about as Useless as JPEG's to Hellen Keller"  ;D

Also "Gump" was hilarious as well, the whole song was about Forrest Gump

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/05 at 10:37 pm

I picked Headline News.  Crash Test Dummies were a Canadian band, and Weird Al tastefully and hilariously trashed that awful song of theirs  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/27/05 at 12:26 am

Smells Like Nirvana

Written By: nally on 10/27/05 at 2:45 pm

Gump
I Can't Watch This
Phony Calls
Amish Paradise
Taco Grande

Written By: woops on 10/27/05 at 5:50 pm

"Smells Like Nirvana"

I also like the video, which actually featured the same set and most of the original extras from Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Written By: TarzSp on 10/27/05 at 6:20 pm

It's interesting when you read up the story on how he got to do the "Smells Like Nirvana" Parody, this is taken from Weird Al's IMDb Profile

When he asked Nirvana for permission to parody "Smells Like Teen Spirit", their first question was, "Will it be about food?". When Yankovic explained that "Smells Like Nirvana" would be about how nobody could understand their singing, they agreed that it sounded funny and granted permission.

I'm surprised Nirvana allowed him to do a Parody basically making fun of them, because most of Weird Al's Parodies usually have nothing to do with Making fun of the Actual Song

I would be too embarrassed to have someone parody my song by making it sound as if we aren't talented at all and it's all just some big joke  :D

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/27/05 at 8:51 pm

"Amish Paradise" followed by "Gump", "Pretty Fly For A Rabbi" and "Taco Grande".

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 10/28/05 at 7:58 am

eBay ("I Want It That Way" by Backstreet Boys)

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 8:01 am

I don't know too many Wierd Al parodies, but "Smells Like Nirvana" came on one of the music channels the other day, and I remember being in stitches... he parodied Nirvana so well!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/28/05 at 8:46 am

"All About The Pentiums" ("All About The Benjamins" by Puff Daddy)

Written By: Mushroom on 10/28/05 at 12:00 pm

He had so many, it is hard to pick just one.

I went with "Achey-Breaky Song".  His timing was perfect, just like with "Beat It" a decade before.  He came out with the song after it was so overplayed, it became a joke in and of itself.

Ironically, I saw Al in concert the week after Kurt killed himself.  Right before they played their parody, Al asked for a moment of silence from the audience in memory.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/05 at 12:52 pm

I like Amish Paradise, Smells Like Nirvana and Headline News.

Cat

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/28/05 at 5:11 pm

mine was is not on the boars or polls was he spoofed american pie with the jedi song for the life of me what was it called but headline news was funny mocked the crash test dummies I remember MMM MMMM MMMMM

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/28/05 at 10:32 pm

"Jurassic Park" a parody of  "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris.....

'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend.....

;D

The video is funny too...  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 10/29/05 at 10:20 am

mine was is not on the boars or polls was he spoofed american pie with the jedi song for the life of me what was it called but headline news was funny mocked the crash test dummies I remember MMM MMMM MMMMM

"The Saga Begins" was a parody of "American Pie" by Don McLain.  I forgot that was 1999, I was thinking that was 2000 for some reason (probably because I want to forget 1998-1999 ever happened).

I had a friend who was a DJ on a large LA radio station.  He said he hated that song Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm when it was popular.  He would always call it Mmmmmmmmmmm.  I heard him once comment on the air that the title was inspired by Bill & Monica.  ;D

Written By: chiefyamick on 10/30/05 at 8:30 pm

Livin' in the Fridge...think that one was from the 90's

Written By: TarzSp on 10/30/05 at 8:33 pm

I guess I should have put "The Saga Begins" on the list, but the reason I didn't was because "American Pie" wasn't a 90's song (atleast I don't think it was).  But yeah, "The Saga Begins" is from 1999

Livin' in the Fridge...think that one was from the 90's

Yes, it's from 1993

Written By: nally on 10/30/05 at 8:35 pm

I guess I should have put "The Saga Begins" on the list, but the reason I didn't was because "American Pie" wasn't a 90's song (atleast I don't think it was).  But yeah, "The Saga Begins" is from 1999

"American Pie" was a big hit for Don McLean in the early 70's. ;) Madonna recorded a lousy cover of it in late 1999/early 2000. :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 9:45 pm

"American Pie" was a big hit for Don McLean in the early 70's. ;) Madonna recorded a lousy cover of it in late 1999/early 2000. :P

I liked the "Weird Al" version better than the Madonna one...  ;D

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/02/05 at 4:42 pm

here is a little backstory about amish paradice when weird al parody it coolio was mad and wants to kill him by the way he was mad when I heard about it on behind the music

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/02/05 at 8:52 pm

here is a little backstory about amish paradice when weird al parody it coolio was mad and wants to kill him by the way he was mad when I heard about it on behind the music

I remember....  ;D

Written By: chiefyamick on 11/02/05 at 11:39 pm

I know it's not a song parody but another great Weird Al song is "Christmas at Ground Zero"

Written By: chiefyamick on 11/02/05 at 11:40 pm

Walk Like an Egyptian

Written By: Southern Image on 11/03/05 at 1:03 pm

"Taco Grande" ("Rico Suave" by Gerardo) ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/05 at 6:43 pm

I know it's not a song parody but another great Weird Al song is "Christmas at Ground Zero"

I like that song too!  ;D

Written By: nally on 11/04/05 at 11:30 pm

I liked the "Weird Al" version better than the Madonna one... ;D

Well, the Weird Al version was a parody; the Madonna one was a cover, like I just got through explaining.

I like that song too! ;D

No it's not a parody. It's an original.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 2:31 pm

Amish Paradise

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/07 at 1:03 pm

Here is all the chart hits Weird Al had in the 90s in North America and the UK ...

1992 - Smells Like Nirvana
1992 - You Don't Love Me
1994 - Jurassic Park
1994 - Headline News
1996 - Amish Paradise
1996 - Gump

Written By: Step-chan on 04/08/07 at 8:15 pm

Smells like Nirvana.

Written By: Ed216 on 04/08/07 at 9:11 pm

For me it's Amish Paradise. The video with Florence Henderson as his Amish wife is very funny! It's just hilarious really. And I laugh any time I hear that song on the radio. It's great, whether Coolio approved of it or not.

Ed.

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/01/07 at 9:35 pm

Smells like Nirvana.

Well, here's something funny:

Weird Al always asks permission before parodying someone's song, and a friend who was in UHF with him put him in touch with Nirvana when they were in New York to do SNL. After a warning that "Smells Like Nirvana" was about how no one could understand the lyrics (& I still can't!), Chris & Dave were nervous about the parody, thinking Al was going to rip them full of holes! But once they saw the video, Kurt Cobain was ROFL, and later stated publicly that he knew Nirvana had officially "made it" when Weird Al made fun of them.
Just another crazy tale from the music biz!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...