inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "MTV 25 Lame" special (1999) ...

Written By: woops on 11/01/05 at 10:23 pm

Does anybody remember the special on MTV from 1999 that featured several comedians and suprise guest Vanilla Ice commenting on the 25 worst videos, ranked by the MTV viewers (the same that puts lame rap & pop videos on TRL). And the ten worst were to be banned forever, which is funny since MTV hardly ever show videos anymore.

And there was one memorable scene when Vanilla Ice trashed a copy of his own video and the set.

Here's the 10 videos that were chosen by the viewers...which a couple I agree on, but a very  few I don't.

10. Debbie Gibson "Electric Youth"
9. Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby"
8. Milli Vanilli "Girl You Know It's True"
7. Gerardo "Rico Suave"
6. Daryl Hall & John Oates "Maneater"
5. Los Del Rio "Macarena"
4. Nelson "After The Rain"
3. Eddie Murphy featuring Michael Jackson "Whazupwitu"
2. Chunky A "Owww!"
1. Don Johnson "Heartbeat"

Another thing I remember, they had a special on the 100 Greatest Videos of All Time and instead of showing videos, they talked about them in a same style VH1 does in their specials.  I stopped watching Moronic TV all together when they stopped airing "Celebrity Deathmatch" & "Sifl & Olly".

Atleast their 100 Greatest videos were decent, which I posted a thread about this & "25 Lame" a while back on the PPP forum.

Subject: Re: "MTV 25 Lame" special (1999) ...

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 10:25 pm

LOL Chunky A Owww made #2  ;D

Chunky A was Arsenio Hall's alias, and it was a very bad career move  ;D

Written By: TarzSp on 11/01/05 at 10:35 pm

I remember watching this when it premiered on MTV back then. Vanilla Ice is a Nutcase

Written By: woops on 11/01/05 at 10:37 pm

I agree.

And he looked a bit like Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit, and does numetal...  :P

Wonder if both are the same person since both suck

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/02/05 at 8:25 am

:o

What it Fred Durst is Vanilla Ice's clone?  ::)  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/05 at 8:53 am

^ LOL.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me they'd pick good videos to be on that list, knowing how MTV is these days (given that was 6 years ago now, but the state of pop culture was relatively the same).

I love "Maneater" both the song and the video (as a big H & O fan). It did have that early MTV production stamped all over it - the guys singing and playing their instruments in some kind of warehouse type large building, and a woman who turned into a panther (I guess to symbolize being a maneater or streetwalker).

Never seen Nelson's "After the Rain" video, but it's a good song - very fluffy and innocent hair metal from the tail end of its popularity.

Written By: Electric Youth on 11/02/05 at 9:56 pm

Never seen Nelson's "After the Rain" video, but it's a good song - very fluffy and innocent hair metal from the tail end of its popularity.

It began with an alienated teen going to sleep and having a dream that he meets Nelson and watches them perform on a venue similar to Red Rocks, where U2 filmed their "Sunday Bloody Sunday" video.

Check for new replies or respond here...