inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite "#1" Hit from 1992

Written By: TarzSp on 11/03/05 at 12:08 am

I'll post the same message I posted in the first thread I made for this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a Poll, and on every one is going to be a list of all the songs that Reached #1 on the Top 40 Charts in America that year

Remember, this is the American charts, just so you guys aren't confused

Anyway, pick your favorite #1 Hit song from 1992  8)

Here are your choices
"All 4 Love" - Color Me Badd

"Can't Let Go" - Mariah Carey

"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" - George Michael & Elton John 

"I Love Your Smile" - Shanice

"Diamonds and Pearls" - Prince 

"I'm Too Sexy" - Right Said Fred

"Remember The Time" - Michael Jackson 

"To Be With You" - Mr. Big 

"Save The Best For Last" - Vanessa Williams 

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen

"Jump" - Kriss Kross

"My Lovin' (Never Gonna Get It)" - En Vogue 

"In The Closet" - Michael Jackson

"I'll Be There" - Mariah Carey

"Baby Got Back" - Sir Mix A Lot

"This Used To Be My Playground" - Madonna

"End Of The Road" - Boyz II Men

"Humpin' Around" - Bobby Brown

"Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough" - Patty Smyth ft. Don Henley

"I'd Die Without You" - P.M. Dawn

"Erotica" - Madonna

"How Do You Talk To An Angel" - The Heights

"If I Ever Fall In Love" - Shai

"I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston

Subject: Re: Favorite "#1" Hit from 1992

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/05 at 12:21 am

All For Love by Color Me Badd.  Back in the day, that was THE song  8)

Written By: woops on 11/03/05 at 2:48 am

"Diamond & Pearls" Prince  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/03/05 at 9:26 am

I'd Die Without You - PM Dawn (I loved the hell out of this song), followed by Can't Let Go by Mariah Carey, I Love Your Smile by Shanice, and Diamonds and Pearls by Prince.

Written By: Tia on 11/03/05 at 9:51 am

bohemian rhapsody was 92? wow, it seems so much earlier.

i'm struck with how much of that music i dislike! wow. guess i'm glad to see 92 end. i figured there'd be more grunge, nirvana and that type stuff.

say, is there a good place to find retro lists of billboard hits? it would be handy for coming up with good cover songs to play in bands but i wasn't able to find anything like that on the internet. the closest is wikipedia but even that doesn't give the whole list -- you know, top 100 broken down by album, pop, country, R&B, etc.

Written By: Southern Image on 11/03/05 at 1:02 pm

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Written By: TarzSp on 11/03/05 at 1:39 pm

bohemian rhapsody was 92? wow, it seems so much earlier.

i'm struck with how much of that music i dislike! wow. guess i'm glad to see 92 end. i figured there'd be more grunge, nirvana and that type stuff.

say, is there a good place to find retro lists of billboard hits? it would be handy for coming up with good cover songs to play in bands but i wasn't able to find anything like that on the internet. the closest is wikipedia but even that doesn't give the whole list -- you know, top 100 broken down by album, pop, country, R&B, etc.

Actually, Bohemian Rhapsody was Re-Issued in 1992 after "Wayne's World" was released and became a popular movie. I'm pretty sure Bohemian Rhapsody is from the Late 70's originally

The reason you don't see grunge up there is because grunge music never hit #1 on the Top 40 Charts.  Some Grunge songs might have gotten as high as #5 or something, but never #1

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana is probably the highest a grunge song has gotten on the Top 40 Charts, because it reached as high as #4 on the charts on February 8th, 1992.  But that was as high as it got

And here is a list of the charts from 1980-2005
http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/index.htm

Written By: Tia on 11/03/05 at 1:46 pm

thanks for the explanation on BR, that was totally weirding me out but now that you've explained it i'm like, of course, wayne's world! i feel a bit silly!  :D one of my fondest memories is of "another one bites the dust" playing on a 45 at an eighth grade dance in, like 1982 or thereabouts. so of course BR was ages before the 90s.  :-[

i have to admit i'm a little surprised grunge didn't do better on the charts, i have to be honest i was in college in those days and grunge was about the only contemporary music i ever even heard about. i heard rumors of someone named "maria carey" but i wasn't sure if she was a writer or a member of british royalty or what. i definitely knew who "shudder to think" was though...

Written By: robby76 on 11/03/05 at 8:09 pm

Quite good choices - not as good as 1991.

Faves inc - Shanice, Mr Big, Bobby Brown... Erotica was good too.

Written By: jaytee on 11/03/05 at 9:12 pm

To Be With You - Mr. Big

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 11/04/05 at 6:14 am

All 4 Love - Color Me Badd
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael & Elton John
Save The Best For Last - Vanessa Williams
End Of The Road - Boyz II Men
Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough - Patty Smyth ft. Don Henley 
If I Ever Fall In Love - Shai 

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/05/05 at 1:38 am

If I ever fall in love- Shai

Written By: kellygoo72 on 11/05/05 at 2:35 am

Wow, music stunk that yr.... :P  But if I had to chose I would pick the Elton John George Michael song....

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/06/05 at 9:39 pm

P.M. Dawn

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 4:25 pm

My faves are (in no particular order):
All 4 Love
I Love Your Smile 8)
I'm Too Sexy

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/05 at 5:55 am

I will always love "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/05 at 6:40 am

Actually, Bohemian Rhapsody was Re-Issued in 1992 after "Wayne's World" was released and became a popular movie. I'm pretty sure Bohemian Rhapsody is from the Late 70's originally
In the UK Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was released in November 1975 and reached number one for Christmas and was released again with These Are The Days Of Our Lives in December 1991, in honour of the death of Freddie Mercury in November that year.
/

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/09/05 at 10:31 am

what ever happend to color me badd??

Written By: McDonald on 11/09/05 at 7:05 pm

Again, trying to keep true to my opinion at that time, I chose "I will always love you" with Kriss Kross at a close if not equal second. I was only a little kid, so it was whatever came on the radio a lot. My dad gave me the Kriss Kross tape, and then I remember my sister stole it and still denies it to this day... but I know she did it, lol.

Today, I don't much like any of these songs. I think Lenny Kravitz's "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" got to number two that year, and I really like that song to this day.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/09/05 at 7:21 pm

Again, trying to keep true to my opinion at that time, I chose "I will always love you" with Kriss Kross at a close if not equal second. I was only a little kid, so it was whatever came on the radio a lot. My dad gave me the Kriss Kross tape, and then I remember my sister stole it and still denies it to this day... but I know she did it, lol.

Today, I don't much like any of these songs. I think Lenny Kravitz's "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" got to number two that year, and I really like that song to this day.

Actually, "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" by Lenny Kravitz was a Top 40 Hit back in July 1991, not 1992

Written By: jlp937 on 11/10/05 at 5:04 pm

Got to go with Whitney on this one,  She is totally awesome in the soundtrack of The Bodyguard even though I dont' care for her acting!

Check for new replies or respond here...