inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was anyone a Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhardt(#3) fan in the 90's?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/05/05 at 6:42 pm

I thought Jeff was cute, but as far as fave driver, Dale "Intimidator" Earnhardt RULED.

Does any NASCAR fan here think Gordon, who already has four championships to his credit, will tie or surpass Earnhardt's SEVEN Winston (now Nextel) Cup titles...seeing how crappy Gordon has fared recently?

Subject: Re: Was anyone a Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhardt(#3) fan in the 90's?

Written By: 99moore on 11/10/05 at 10:09 am

Gordon will not get to 7. Its simply to tough now a days. In the 90s I was following Stewart in the IRL.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/11/05 at 6:59 pm

Gordon will not get to 7. Its simply to tough now a days. In the 90s I was following Stewart in the IRL.
And there are some NASCAR fans who think that Tony Stewart is a 'johnny-come-lately' in racing..nope! He was the champion in USAC and IRL before he came to NASCAR full-time in 1999.

Written By: Kenlos on 11/13/05 at 1:32 pm

No don't like either of them.  Though it was very unfortunate that Dale was killed, you almost had to believe he had it coming to him with the way he drove.  Though I have to admit he got better as he got older.

As for Gordon he is just annoying, can't stand him.  He gets away with everything, if he wrecks someone then in nascars eyes and it seems in most fans eyes it wasn't he fault and it was ok.  I mean think about how often he has wrecked people in the past but when was the last time you remember him being penalized?  Jimmy Johnson has been getting the same treatment lately too.  I mean just a few races ago (I think it was the Charlotte race) he was found to have illegal shocks on his car but wasn't penalized by Nascar.  But wasn't it just like a couple years ago that Mark Martin was penalized something like 25 points for the same thing?  Then why did Jimmy get off with nothing?  This is part fo the reason I say that when Martin retires I will find it hard to keep watching Nextel Cup.

As for whether Gordon will get seven, I say no.  I think he will probably get that fifth one (wont be easy though) but I would be surprised he gets passed that.  Also even though he has over 70 career wins I think it will also be hard for him to break 100 career wins, not that he can't do it, but with the competition the way it is today it will be extremely hard.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/13/05 at 1:59 pm

No don't like either of them.  Though it was very unfortunate that Dale was killed, you almost had to believe he had it coming to him with the way he drove.  Though I have to admit he got better as he got older.

As for Gordon he is just annoying, can't stand him.  He gets away with everything, if he wrecks someone then in nascars eyes and it seems in most fans eyes it wasn't he fault and it was ok.  I mean think about how often he has wrecked people in the past but when was the last time you remember him being penalized?  Jimmy Johnson has been getting the same treatment lately too.  I mean just a few races ago (I think it was the Charlotte race) he was found to have illegal shocks on his car but wasn't penalized by Nascar.  But wasn't it just like a couple years ago that Mark Martin was penalized something like 25 points for the same thing?  Then why did Jimmy get off with nothing?  This is part fo the reason I say that when Martin retires I will find it hard to keep watching Nextel Cup.

As for whether Gordon will get seven, I say no.  I think he will probably get that fifth one (wont be easy though) but I would be surprised he gets passed that.  Also even though he has over 70 career wins I think it will also be hard for him to break 100 career wins, not that he can't do it, but with the competition the way it is today it will be extremely hard.
I liked Earnhardt a lot. Why I think some people did not like him is he was extremely competitive...and not politically correct. The way I see it, poilitcally correct is absolutely BORING when it comes to racing,which is why I don't watch Formula One..team orders and ALWAYS being polite(moving over for a teammate and letting them win when you KNOW you are faster and YOU deserve the win)and politically correct to please the media..that's NOT real racing IMO. But I am surprised neither Jeff Gordon nor Dale Earnhardt Jr. is in the Chase....I don't know if honestly Gordon will have the chemistry with the new crew chief like he did with Ray Evernham(90's) and Robbie Loomis...and it looks like Jr. has his old crew chief and pit crew back. And Mark Martin is back for 2006 because Jamie McMurray (who was to replace him) can't get out of his contract with Chip Ganassi until 2007...and Sterling Marlin is no longer with Ganassi as of 2006...

Written By: Kenlos on 11/13/05 at 6:15 pm

I liked Earnhardt a lot. Why I think some people did not like him is he was extremely competitive...and not politically correct. The way I see it, poilitcally correct is absolutely BORING when it comes to racing,which is why I don't watch Formula One..team orders and ALWAYS being polite(moving over for a teammate and letting them win when you KNOW you are faster and YOU deserve the win)and politically correct to please the media..that's NOT real racing IMO. But I am surprised neither Jeff Gordon nor Dale Earnhardt Jr. is in the Chase....I don't know if honestly Gordon will have the chemistry with the new crew chief like he did with Ray Evernham(90's) and Robbie Loomis...and it looks like Jr. has his old crew chief and pit crew back. And Mark Martin is back for 2006 because Jamie McMurray (who was to replace him) can't get out of his contract with Chip Ganassi until 2007...and Sterling Marlin is no longer with Ganassi as of 2006...

Earnhardt crossed the line though and on many occasions.  He was known for wrecking people to get positions and in my opinion that is not racing and should have no place in racing that is why I could not root for him and also part of the reason I can't root for Gordon as he does it as well, though not near as much as Earnhardt did.  Though as I said toward the end there Earnhardt was much better but it still didn't make up for his past.

Written By: bruce on 12/17/05 at 10:22 pm

Gordon came in and kicked some ass he has alot of talent but nascar is not the same without Dale ATleast in the 90s the FORDS  CHEVYS & PONTIACS looked like different cars  Todays cars all look the same except for the nose on the chargers  Bring back the days of HARRY GANT  Nascar in the 90s might have been different if we hadnt lost Davey Allison  andAlan Kulwicki  2 drivers gone 2 soon

Written By: runner girl on 12/17/05 at 10:29 pm

YES! a NASCAR thread!!

I was a huge Earnhardt fan. I was really torn up when he died. I gave a speech on him in english class and cried halfway through it. Oh yeah, I was a huge fan. Now I follow Jr. and Kasey Kahne, but nothing ever came close to the fanship I had for Earnhardt. He was a legend, there was nothing that he couldn't do with that racecar...

Gordon sucks

(oh yeah, Stewart is cool, Smoke---congrats on the Championship)

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/17/05 at 11:25 pm

8) I am a HUGE NASCAR fan!..I was totally into Dale...It was so very sad when he passed. I watch Dale Jr now...I met him on Beale St here in Memphis about 6 yrs ago..he was very nice and signed an autograph for my son..( it was for me really...LOL..)

Written By: runner girl on 12/18/05 at 9:47 am

8) I am a HUGE NASCAR fan!..I was totally into Dale...It was so very sad when he passed. I watch Dale Jr now...I met him on Beale St here in Memphis about 6 yrs ago..he was very nice and signed an autograph for my son..( it was for me really...LOL..)

DUDE!! You met Jr! That is totally awesome!!! I'm jealous! I have met Richard Petty, Michael Waltrip, Robby Gordon, Casey Mears, Jamie McMurray, Kurtand Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, and some others...

I really wanna meet Kasey and Jr, seeing as they are my two favorites...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/18/05 at 7:15 pm

Earnhardt crossed the line though and on many occasions.

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/18/05 at 7:25 pm

DUDE!! You met Jr! That is totally awesome!!! I'm jealous! I have met Richard Petty, Michael Waltrip, Robby Gordon, Casey Mears, Jamie McMurray, Kurtand Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, and some others...

I really wanna meet Kasey and Jr, seeing as they are my two favorites...
  ;D  Yea..Jr was very nice..He was sitting at a table at a bar drinking with a bunch of buddies..I was a little nervous interupting him but he was totally cool...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/18/05 at 8:51 pm

YES! a NASCAR thread!!

I was a huge Earnhardt fan. I was really torn up when he died. I gave a speech on him in english class and cried halfway through it. Oh yeah, I was a huge fan. Now I follow Jr. and Kasey Kahne, but nothing ever came close to the fanship I had for Earnhardt. He was a legend, there was nothing that he couldn't do with that racecar...

Gordon sucks

(oh yeah, Stewart is cool, Smoke---congrats on the Championship)
I saw Tony Stewart, along with Dale Jarrett and Michael Waltrip, at a question and answer session at Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City...all three drivers are pretty cool to see in person...but the reason I was there was to see and even get to talk to Tony Stewart in person...boy, I had the jitters, but "Smoke" was totally cool! I'd love to meet Dale Jr, Kasey Kahne, and Elliott 'Candyman' Sadler in person!
You oughta see my computer desk and and my monitor's 'desktop'...lots of NASCAR stuff, Stewart, Kahne, and Dale Jr. pics and diecast stuff all there!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/18/05 at 9:01 pm

Yeah, I agree with all those who think Gordon sucks...so does his whining wuss of a teammate Jimmie Johnson!

Everytime a Lowe's commercial comes on, I change the dam channel...especially if Jimmie is in it.

Man, I was glad Gordon did NOT make the Chase. Ditto for Jimmie getting knocked outta contention at Homestead! (no bodily harm happened to JJ though thank god!)

Yeah, I have forgiven Kurt Busch for his DWI faux-pas, look, he obviously learned from it. Kurt is actually a decent guy, compared to 2002, when he, like Tony, was a 'bad boy'...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/18/05 at 9:10 pm

I've read both "Driver#8"(Dale Earnhardt Jr) and "True Speed-My Racing Life"(Tony Stewart)...and I liked both books. They both portray pretty well what it's like to be a NASCAR driver....

And Dale Earnhardt was not the only 'bad boy' in NASCAR history..Rusty Wallace has been naughty now and then...one time he paid off a fine with bags of pennies LOL!

Written By: Gent Racer on 12/18/05 at 10:01 pm

It annoys me as an Earnhardt fan that some people want racing and racers to be plain-vanilla, politically correct, Pat Boone white-bread squeaky clean BORING....rubbin' is racin'. Imagine the NFL or NHL being totally POLITE. There's a time for 'polite' racing...until the closing laps of a race when you have a shot of winning!

Hate to break it to ya, but NASCAR is politically correct and has been since the late 80's when the television audience expanded. In fact it's more politically correct now than ever. Say damn or hell on the air and expect a $10G fine the next day. Put somebody in the wall deliberately and expect a fine and or suspension.
Rubbin' ain't racin', it's just road rage and has more to do with a lack of sportmanship and maturity than the lack of political correctness. Please stop mixing the two together. Unfortunately it has also become what your typical NASCAR fan expects to be included as part of the ticket price. NASCAR ain't stupid, they recognize that which it why it is allowed until it becomes a safety issue.
I guess being a gentleman racer is past it's time. Racing someone under the premise of more talent and ability, and better prepared equipment is past it's time too.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/20/05 at 12:34 pm

Hate to break it to ya, but NASCAR is politically correct and has been since the late 80's when the television audience expanded. In fact it's more politically correct now than ever. Say damn or hell on the air and expect a $10G fine the next day. Put somebody in the wall deliberately and expect a fine and or suspension.
Rubbin' ain't racin', it's just road rage and has more to do with a lack of sportmanship and maturity than the lack of political correctness. Please stop mixing the two together. Unfortunately it has also become what your typical NASCAR fan expects to be included as part of the ticket price. NASCAR ain't stupid, they recognize that which it why it is allowed until it becomes a safety issue.
I guess being a gentleman racer is past it's time. Racing someone under the premise of more talent and ability, and better prepared equipment is past it's time too.
Well then, I might as well shut up, because obviously I'm wrong to state my position on racing. As far as the drivers are concerned I think some are more politically correct than others.....as far as the younger drivers, honestly, it's a steep learning curve for many of them, and I don't think it's just true in racing. Look at young guns in other sports, like LeBron James, who was fresh out of high school when the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers signed him. LeBron was considered the 'heir apparent' who was supposed to take the Cavs to the next level....and the NHL's Sidney Crosby(Pittsburgh Penguins)who's supposed to do the same for Pittsburgh hockey..To be young, and have HUGE expectations weighing on one's shoulders(and mind) does NOT make the adjustment, in ANY sport, easy. I imagine guys like Brian Vickers, Kasey Kahne, Martin Truex Jr., and Kyle Busch are probably feeling that pressure to PROVE they can be winners, like they were expected to be when they signed on with Nextel Cup...and unfortunately part of that pressure means making mistakes, and hopefully learning from them. Look at Kurt Busch and the mistakes he made in 2002..and in 2004 he earned the first Nextel Cup.

Check for new replies or respond here...