inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite "#1" Hit from 1997

Written By: TarzSp on 11/09/05 at 1:24 am

(The rules are that you can now vote for only "2" songs at the most)

Also, i've added the exact Date that each song hit #1 for the very first time on the Top 40 Charts

This is a Poll, and on every one is going to be a list of all the songs that Reached #1 on the Top 40 Charts in America that year

Remember, this is the American charts, just so you guys aren't confused

Anyway, pick your favorite #1 Hit song from 1997  8)

(There is one silly thing i've noticed so far with ever year, and that's that Mariah Carey has had atleast 1 song hit #1 each year of the 90's so far in my lists...Amazing)

Subject: Re: Favorite "#1" Hit from 1997

Written By: whistledog on 11/09/05 at 1:33 am

Savage Garden  8)

I'm not a big fan of Candle in the Wind 1997 because here in Canada, it got major overkill ... it spent 45 weeks at #1 and was in the top 20 for 3 consecutive years  :o

Written By: TarzSp on 11/09/05 at 1:50 am

Savage Garden  8)

I'm not a big fan of Candle in the Wind 1997 because here in Canada, it got major overkill ... it spent 45 weeks at #1 and was in the top 20 for 3 consecutive years  :o

Wow, I guess if it was on the charts for 3 years, they must have been changing the name of the song often, right?  From "Candle in the Wind 1997" to "Candle in the Wind 1998" and on...lol

Want to hear something funny? I don't think I ever remember hearing that song...ever! And that's weird considering it was a #1 hit, but I just don't recall it at all.  Which is good because it probably blows (no offense)

Well hey, if it's any conselation, the longest running song ever on the Top 40 Charts here in America was "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, which was on the charts for 33 weeks.  So ask yourself, what's worse?  33 Weeks of Kelly Clarkson or 3 years of Elton John?  ;D

Anyway, 1997 will always be known as the "British Invasion" in America that year in terms of Music.  We had everything on the radio from Spice Girls, Prodigy, Elton John, Chumbawumba, Blur, etc... (with Spice Girls and Prodigy being the most popular of course)

Written By: robby76 on 11/09/05 at 5:20 am

Blah what horrible no.1's! All except for the brilliant "Lovefool" by the Cardigans.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/05 at 5:50 am

Don't Cry For Me Argentina"  -  Madonna  (February 15th)

And I have just realised that I only clicked on one.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/09/05 at 10:29 am

the freshmen was very good in 1997 this song made 1997

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/09/05 at 11:12 am

Do You Know What It Takes by Robyn
Lovefool by The Cardigans

...I voted before I saw "I Want You" by Savage Garden which would have received a vote cause I love this song!

Written By: woops on 11/09/05 at 6:10 pm

Blah what horrible no.1's! All except for the brilliant "Lovefool" by the Cardigans.

Ditto

1997, also the downfall of popular music & MTV

Written By: McDonald on 11/09/05 at 6:51 pm

I remember liking pretty much all these songs, but the two I chose were the ones that I liked probably the most back then, as opposed to right now.

Tubthumping (I still love that song).
"Say You'll Be There" - Spice Girls (I know, I know... but it was a good song, and I was influenced by my best friend at the time, who was English.)

Written By: TarzSp on 11/10/05 at 1:21 am

Yeah, I remember the Music Video for it the most,  It had all these celebrities in it like Leonardo DiCaprio, Claire Danes, and John Leguizamo

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/10/05 at 7:59 am

Well, isn't that because the clip was from the movie Romeo And Juilet? :)

And yes, the re-do of Candle In The Wind to change the subject from Marilyn Monroe to Diana Spencer was ghastly and you are fortunate not to recall it!

Written By: TarzSp on 11/10/05 at 3:22 pm

Well, isn't that because the clip was from the movie Romeo And Juilet? :)

And yes, the re-do of Candle In The Wind to change the subject from Marilyn Monroe to Diana Spencer was ghastly and you are fortunate not to recall it!

That's right, I forgot about that  :P

Written By: jlp937 on 11/10/05 at 4:55 pm

Whatever happened to Meredith Brooks anyway??  I love that song, it is so great to be able to sing along to a song that is on the radio with cuss words.  I am surprised that they didn't bleep out every Bitch!

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 11/12/05 at 4:42 pm

Candle In The Wind 1997  -  Elton John

Written By: nally on 11/22/05 at 2:13 pm

Finally...I get to vote in this poll. But I am still undecided about which two songs I will vote for, as I have more than two picks at the moment:

"Don't Speak" - No Doubt

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/30/05 at 7:16 am

Slightly better than the '96 choices...

"Semi Charmed Life"  -  Third Eye Blind  (August 30th)
and
"The Freshman"  -  The Verve Pipe  (July 12th)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 12/13/05 at 9:37 pm

Whatever happened to Meredith Brooks anyway??

Written By: Stompgal on 12/22/05 at 6:57 am

No Doubt's Don't Speak and Spice Girls Say You'll Be There. They're both favourite 90s and 2000s bands of mine.

Check for new replies or respond here...