inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "Columbine" Shooting

Written By: TarzSp on 11/10/05 at 11:11 pm

Took place on April 20th, 1999, the two students "Eric Harris" and "Dylan Klebold" basically went on a shooting massacre in their high school (Most notably the Library) killing a total of 15 Students and Teachers.  Afterwards, they both commited suicide together in the Library

I was just reading the whole story on wikipedia about the "Columbine" Shooting.  I had never known the whole story before and after reading it word for word what happened, it really freaked me out. It was extremely fascinating.  The Wikipedia is really descriptive in everything that happened and how every single person was murdered

You guys should read this, it's pretty long, but it's interesting and shocking, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_shooting

What are your guys' thoughts on the whole thing?  Do you all remember where you were or what was going on when it happened?

Subject: Re: The "Columbine" Shooting

Written By: TarzSp on 11/10/05 at 11:26 pm

What creeps me out the most about it is when they finally get into the Library where donzens and dozens of Students and Teachers are all hiding under desks, and then the 2 guys start yelling for all the "Jocks" to stand up, and then when no one would stand up, they basically just said "Ok, then, we'll just kill you all"

And then the both of them basically taunting all of the students and holding their fate in their hands, and then would just pick out the kids they hated the most and would shoot them multiple times.  The one that freaks me out the most is when one of the girls is under her desk and is praying to god "God, why is this happening? I just wanna go home" and then one of the shooters taps her on the head and says "Peak-A-Boo!" and then kneels down and shoots her in the head

Ugh, it gives me chills

Here is the picture of the two shooters
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Harrisklebold.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 11/11/05 at 1:11 am

ever since Columbine, it seems like every kid carries a gun these days :(

I just saw on the news about a shooting at a Toronto High School  :\'(

Written By: TarzSp on 11/11/05 at 1:16 am

I simply wish that kids would stop Bullying other kids in school, it sure would prevent crap like this from ever happening.  Bullying just isn't worth it, you have to think about other kids feelings to

I just had to get that off my chest

Written By: woops on 11/11/05 at 3:40 am

I simply wish that kids would stop Bullying other kids in school, it sure would prevent crap like this from ever happening.  Bullying just isn't worth it, you have to think about other kids feelings to

I just had to get that off my chest

Violence isn't the anwser, but unfortunately there's morons in this world who think it's OK.  >:(  :P

I was bullied a lot in school and didn't have many friends, though I found a hobby and basically ignored them like most kids in highschool. 

Written By: TarzSp on 11/11/05 at 3:43 am

Violence isn't the anwser, but unfortunately there's morons in this world who think it's OK.  >:(  :P

I was bullied a lot in school and didn't have many friends, though I found a hobby and basically ignored them like most kids in highschool. 

I'm not even going to get into this debate, but i'll leave it at this

STOP BULLYING  >:(

I'm sick of people who think it's perfectly ok to ruin someone elses life every single day of the week just so they can look cool in front of a few kids.  It's not OK and God obviously had this happen to send out a message to all the DOLTS out there who want to continue bullying.  Life has consequences and even kids who get picked on have "Breaking Points", everyone does

The thing is, The Proof is in the Pudding. Kids have gotten killed by this. The bullied kids who shot up their school obviously didn't "Ignore the bullying".  You can't just sit here and say "oh, just ignore the bullying" because that's not the point.  The point is, there should not be bullying in the first place because THIS is exactly what ends up happening because of it.  We need to find a way to get kids to stop bullying others for the sake of some of these peoples lives.  I'm out of School now, so Im not the one worried about getting bullied, but I do care about all of the other kids and innocent lives who may be taken from a Bullied kid

It's easy to be an Adult and sit here and say "Just ignore it". You never know the extent to which some of these kids are harrassed and bullied, either way it's not worth it to Bully some kid just because he may look nerdy or because he's overweight or because he's just an outkast, you never know the intention of the bullied kid and what he could do to you.  The thing that the Bullied kid who shoots up his school probably loves the most is knowing that the Bully has absolutely no clue of the consequences he would soon face, the Bully just goes on picking on the kid and assuming he will never do anything back to him.  The Bully eventually brought all this crap on himself

Nothing irritates me more than a Bully who is so Arrogant in thinking that the kid he is bullying will never do anything back to him and certainly would never do anything as "crazy" as shoot him.  That's what's screwed up though.  These idiots know about Columbine, but they still insist on Bullying others thinking, "Well he'll never be dumb enough to shoot up the school".  It's the typical arrogance of a Bully

And you saying "Just ignore it" is basically YOU advocating bullying.  The Bullied kid should not be punished for being bullied, we need to punish the core of the entire problem, and that's the Bully.  We need to tell them to stop Bullying instead of telling the bullied kid to just ignore it and let the bully keep bullying you for his own sick pleasure

Ignroing the Bullies is not going to stop other kids from shooting up their school.  The message should be "Stop Bullying" instead of "Just Ignore it".  There is no reason that people should have to dread waking up every morning just to get bullied and teased every day of the week for 10+ years of their life.  If we are all being forced to go to school, then we should atleast be able to try and ENJOY it, not dread it

And i'm not Advocating violence either, so don't anyone say that

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/11/05 at 9:49 am

It took this incident to truly understand that the kids of that time and now are different and more troublesome than ever.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/11/05 at 10:55 am

I remember it also I was at home when ti happened and beleve it or not it was 2 days before my birthday when this all happend and i think those two shooters should be in jail right about now

Written By: TarzSp on 11/11/05 at 3:20 pm

I remember it also I was at home when ti happened and beleve it or not it was 2 days before my birthday when this all happend and i think those two shooters should be in jail right about now

The 2 shooters killed themselves in the Library after they did what they did

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/11/05 at 3:58 pm

a moral panic aimed at goth culture, heavy metal music, social pariahs, the use of pharmaceutical anti-depressants by teenagers, violent movies and violent video games.

This is the bit that pisses me off.

I'm sorry, but listening to Rammstein (who really are not very violent) doesn't make you kill somebody.
Hell, listening to Judas Priest with the subliminal 'DO IT' message, doesn't make you go on a killing spree.
The 'anti-depressant' culture is a problem that isn't controlled by us (us meaning people my age). These drugs are things given to them by their parents and doctors.

The whole Goth Culture is fairly passive, it's a fairly ridiculous statement to say that being Gothic is the cause of a Murderous rampage.

Violent movies, gimme a break! I've been watching violence on TV since i was 6-7 years old and have no serious urges to go out and shoot up a school.

I think the problem that needs focusing on in these cases is the school. I went to a large inner city school for several years, in that time i saw 3 students stabbed (one died), one pushed over a staircase (died) and one shot at point blank range in the side of the head with an air rifle (he was fine amazingly). I never once saw the school do anything. I'm sure this kind of ignorance is repeated everywhere. These trends emerge and show themselves long before anybody kills anybody. It's fairly easy to tell if somebody is on edge. The schools and the parents need to do more before going and playing the blame game.

If the media's idea of a Homicidal student is correct then i should by all rights be behind bars.
I listen to Metal (very violent metal at that), Love violent films and Violent video games, Am a self proclaimed social Pariah, Enjoy using knives and swords, wear a trenchcoat and have strong animosity towards many other students.. but here's the catch, i haven't and won't kill anybody.

The whole Hitler link is.. i won't say ridiculous, but certainly a bit shy of the mark. I have a strong admiration for Adolf Hitler. His domestic policy's turned Germany around, he was a magnificent leader. This dosen't however mean i'm going to go and kill anybody that's Black, Gay, Jewish, Disabled..etc. It just means i read beyond the criticism and i actually admire some of what he did. I dare say there are many people like that.

The media likes to find easy scapegoats. Anybody who knows anything about real Metal will tell you that Marilyn Manson is a laughing stock. He trys very hard to shock people and succeeds. For that i'll give him credit, but saying his lyrical work causes students to go on killing spree's is hilarious.

Let's compare one of his 'Pop-Rock' songs with a real Dark track from a different band.

"Ladies and Gentlemen"
We are the thing of shapes to come
Your freedom's not free and dumb
This Depression is Great
The Deformation Age, they know my name
Waltzing to scum and base and
Married to the pain

Bang we want it
Bang we want it
Bang bang bang bang bang
You came to see the mobscene
I know it isn't your scene
It's better than a sex scene and it's
So fudgeing obscene, obscene yeah.

Be obscene, be be obscene
Be obscene, baby, and not heard.

The day that love opened our eyes
We watched the world end
We have "high" places but we have no friends
They told us sin's not good but we know it's great
War-time full-frontal drugs, sex-tank armor plate

Bang we want it
Bang we want it
Bang bang bang bang bang

You want commitment?
Put on your best suit, get your arms around me
Now we're going down down down
You want commitment?

You want commitment?
You want commitment?

"Ladies and gentlemen, be obscene! Be be obscene!"

Bang bang bang bang bang.

That dosen't make me want to kill. In fact, it's fairly humorous.

Now, let's look at something a bit darker.

I could drag you to my chambers
and strip you naked in darkness
I could pull your fingernails out one by one
and rape you till you find no hope

I could rip your guts out
and let you watch me sacrifice your unborn child
I could leave you to starve
and even bring you to total silence

For I find no pleasure in your physical pain
I want your Christian soul to crumble

When I have seen your church go up in flames
and you are weeping I will laugh
When you mourn over loved ones
I will feel bliss when your mortal soul is in ruins

I will grin in the shadows
for that gives me pleasure

Tormenting a Christian soul!

So, can anybody see the difference?  ;D

I've rambled a lot here and i realize i haven't articulated my point as well as i could have however, it is important to be carefull before attributing blame in these situations.

I find Beethoven quite stirring, maybe when i go on my killing spree I'll be listening to Fur Elise  ;D

Written By: woops on 11/11/05 at 6:02 pm

When it comes to ignoring, it depends on the bully. If it doesn't stop, I would talk to a teacher or staff member of the school.

This is the bit that pisses me off.

I'm sorry, but listening to Rammstein (who really are not very violent) doesn't make you kill somebody.
Hell, listening to Judas Priest with the subliminal 'DO IT' message, doesn't make you go on a killing spree.
The 'anti-depressant' culture is a problem that isn't controlled by us (us meaning people my age). These drugs are things given to them by their parents and doctors.

The whole Goth Culture is fairly passive, it's a fairly ridiculous statement to say that being Gothic is the cause of a Murderous rampage.

Violent movies, gimme a break! I've been watching violence on TV since i was 6-7 years old and have no serious urges to go out and shoot up a school.

I think the problem that needs focusing on in these cases is the school. I went to a large inner city school for several years, in that time i saw 3 students stabbed (one died), one pushed over a staircase (died) and one shot at point blank range in the side of the head with an air rifle (he was fine amazingly). I never once saw the school do anything. I'm sure this kind of ignorance is repeated everywhere. These trends emerge and show themselves long before anybody kills anybody. It's fairly easy to tell if somebody is on edge. The schools and the parents need to do more before going and playing the blame game.

If the media's idea of a Homicidal student is correct then i should by all rights be behind bars.
I listen to Metal (very violent metal at that), Love violent films and Violent video games, Am a self proclaimed social Pariah, Enjoy using knives and swords, wear a trenchcoat and have strong animosity towards many other students.. but here's the catch, i haven't and won't kill anybody.

Ditto

Same  Johnny Cash and gangsta rappers, which often have violent content in their songs.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 11/12/05 at 9:27 pm

This massacre should have ended the culture of cliques and the holier than thou attitude of middle class and upper middle class kids. Unfortunately, our society didnt learn. It WILL happen again. Its just a matter of time.

Written By: Tia on 11/12/05 at 9:28 pm

This massacre should have ended the culture of cliques and the holier than thou attitude of middle class and upper middle class kids. Unfortunately, our society didnt learn. It WILL happen again. Its just a matter of time.

alas i think a lot of people took the opposite reaction from it -- to wit, outcasts suck, and are potential murderers and weirdos. you know, it just made the battle lines more fixed between the in groups and the out groups.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/12/05 at 9:49 pm

Also, the Shooters had their own little clique called the "Trenchcoat Mafia", which freaks me out because when I was in school back in 1999/2000 there were some friends of mine who called themselves the "Trenchcoat Mafia", but I never really understood where they got it from.....now I do  :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/13/05 at 12:03 am

Also, the Shooters had their own little clique called the "Trenchcoat Mafia", which freaks me out because when I was in school back in 1999/2000 there were some friends of mine who called themselves the "Trenchcoat Mafia", but I never really understood where they got it from.....now I do  :-\\

Your lookin at a member  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...