inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Song from "Nevermind" by Nirvana

Written By: TarzSp on 11/16/05 at 1:38 am

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5543/b000003ta401sclzzzzzzz7ic.jpg

Album: "Nevermind"
Artist: Nirvana
Released: September 24th, 1991
Track Listing:
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit
2. In Bloom
3. Come As You Are
4. Breed
5. Lithium
6. Polly
7. Territorial Pissings
8. Drain You
9. Lounge Act
10. Stay Away
11. On A Plain
12. Something In The Way

My Pick: "In Bloom"

Subject: Re: Best Song from "Nevermind" by Nirvana

Written By: Davester on 11/16/05 at 1:56 am

"Come As You Are" I played over & over...

But "In Bloom" is good, too...

Written By: woops on 11/16/05 at 2:18 am

"In Bloom"

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/16/05 at 3:41 am

For me it's a toss up between Stay Away, Territorial Pissings & Lounge Act. I still have the first pressing of this CD from when i bought it back in 1991 with the hidden track Endless Nameless on it. I believe it's quite rare & only the first 100,000 or so pressings had the hidden track at the end. Also the main noticable difference between the mine & the later pressings is that mine has the track list in black lettering on the back of the CD whereas the other later pressings have the track list in goldish kind of glittery lettering. 

Written By: holicman on 11/16/05 at 6:38 am

"Drain you" and "On a plain" are equal to me though its funny..............Nevermind is the ONLY album i ever bought where i like every song on the album.........go figure LOL !

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/16/05 at 12:07 pm

Smells like teen spirit is what I voted for. However, I do love In Bloom. Shoot, maybe I should've voted for that one.

Written By: gord on 11/16/05 at 7:18 pm

good album, not my favorite of the 90s but good, smells like teen spirit and lithium are a couple favorites :)

Written By: Tia on 11/16/05 at 7:20 pm

For me it's a toss up between Stay Away, Territorial Pissings & Lounge Act. I still have the first pressing of this CD from when i bought it back in 1991 with the hidden track Endless Nameless on it. I believe it's quite rare & only the first 100,000 or so pressings had the hidden track at the end. Also the main noticable difference between the mine & the later pressings is that mine has the track list in black lettering on the back of the CD whereas the other later pressings have the track list in goldish kind of glittery lettering.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/18/05 at 9:58 am

Nevermind in itself is a battleground for potential debate.

Depending on your point of view, it's either (a) the album that saved rock and roll and made it exciting again after a decade of excess, synthesizers and hair metal, or (b) singlehandedly ruined music, making it dark and taking all the fun out of it.

That's a topic unto itself, though. ;)

Even though I tend to side with B, I still like it to a degree. Maybe because I was only 9 or 10 when it came out. Even if I already liked the 80's (and earlier) sounds, come on I was still a kid, so maybe it's the pure nostalgia value?

In short, it's at least somewhat catchy. I like "Come as You Are" the best - which, although angsty, was a little slower, and the closest thing to a "pop" song.

I also like the album track "In Bloom" which is kinda similar, but more rocky.

Written By: Tia on 11/18/05 at 10:22 am

Nevermind in itself is a battleground for potential debate.

Depending on your point of view, it's either (a) the album that saved rock and roll and made it exciting again after a decade of excess, synthesizers and hair metal, or (b) singlehandedly ruined music, making it dark and taking all the fun out of it.

there's this thrash metal thread where we talked a lot about nirvana and whether grunge ruined or resurrected metal. i remember when nevermind came out we were all excited, cuz here was music that dared to be heavy! i still like the album but it did generate a whole movement of musicians who were entirely too cool to play their instruments, and that's a drag. i'd love to hear some decent new guitar solos again.

Written By: Southern Image on 11/18/05 at 12:44 pm

Come As You Are

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/20/05 at 9:19 am

there's this thrash metal thread where we talked a lot about nirvana and whether grunge ruined or resurrected metal. i remember when nevermind came out we were all excited, cuz here was music that dared to be heavy! i still like the album but it did generate a whole movement of musicians who were entirely too cool to play their instruments, and that's a drag. i'd love to hear some decent new guitar solos again.

Totally with you on that, we were indeed discussing this on the thrash metal thread in the 80s section. I do believe this album played a big part in destroying rock n roll & like punk in the 70s changing guitar playing from technical to absurdly simple. Although it wasn't solely responsible, it did majorly influence the direction that rock would take up to the present. At the time i really did like the album though, because here was the first rockin song(Teen Spirit) that had reached number 1 after countless boring pop trash songs done by MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice/New Kids On The Block/Boyz2Men type clones. Smells Like Teen Spirit actually knocked Micheal Jackson off the number 1 spot in the charts which was probably a massive achievment by anyone. Anyhow not only did the album have a somewhat heavy sound but it also sounded really good & the whole album was listenable from start to end. It had a nice balance loud abrasive guitar & nice pleasing melody. I was in highschool at the when this album came out & i do remember there was definitly a feeling of excitment in the air concerning this album.

Written By: YWN on 02/22/06 at 12:54 am

Bump.

Something In The Way.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/22/06 at 1:02 am

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/06 at 1:12 am

I voted for Stay Away

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/06 at 1:29 am

Smells Like Teen Spirit is awesome, but I really, really love Come As You Are. 

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/22/06 at 2:26 am

SOMETHING IN THE WAY.... WITHOUT A DOUBT IN MY MIND! 8)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/22/06 at 2:27 am

Come As You Are

Written By: gmann on 02/22/06 at 2:20 pm

Got to agree with kellygoo, "Something in the Way" is great. Creepy, but great.

Written By: DaChazman on 02/22/06 at 2:21 pm

Breed. I'm a sucker for that really hard stuff.

Written By: YWN on 02/22/06 at 4:45 pm

Breed. I'm a sucker for that really hard stuff.

;D  It doesn't get much more hardcore than "Breed", does it?

Written By: Juan on 02/22/06 at 11:49 pm

Breed
:)

also territorial pissings...
anndd drain you
in that order

PLUS: in Argentina we still have the endless namelesss song and the linner notes from Incesticide
The argentinean version are all the same as the 1st comming version of the USA.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 7:07 am

Breed
:)

also territorial pissings...
anndd drain you
in that order

PLUS: in Argentina we still have the endless namelesss song and the linner notes from Incesticide
The argentinean version are all the same as the 1st comming version of the USA.

I still have the version with the Endless Namless hidden track. I bought it back in 1991 & i think there were only a limited amount of that version. I'm glad i looked after mine so well because a lot of my CDs that were bought around that time didn't get the same treatment. One dead giveaway if you have the version with the hidden track is if the track listing on the CD is in black writing because all the versions after that including the current one has the track listing in gold writting.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 7:14 am

I voted for Stay Away

Good work. :) Everyone else keeps voting for the clitche' chart hits like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are & Lithium, um yeah booorrrrrrrrring.

Written By: YWN on 02/23/06 at 10:02 am

Good work. :) Everyone else keeps voting for the clitche' chart hits like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are & Lithium, um yeah booorrrrrrrrring.

Yeah, but..."Stay Away" is just..."Stayyy awaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy" over and over again.  Kind of repetitive.

....and I'm still the only one that voted for "Something in the Way"!?

Written By: Juan on 02/23/06 at 11:51 am

I love nirvana, es my favorite band
and nevermind is the best CD of the last 15 years

and..
this quote is unnecesary cause all songs are great

But breed and territorial pissings are the best

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 11:53 am

Yeah, but..."Stay Away" is just..."Stayyy awaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy" over and over again.  Kind of repetitive.

....and I'm still the only one that voted for "Something in the Way"!?

Very true, but the same could be said for the guitar riff & music in Something In The Way, it's pretty repetitive & simple. I guess all of their music was pretty simple, but that one especially. Although lyrically Stay Away is not a great song it is one of my favourites next to Lounge Act & Territorial Pissings. I like it because it has a lot of energy & i like the bass & guitar riffs, particuly the bass riff in Lounge Act. Some music i like for the lyrics, but other music i like purely for the music itself & the energy.  Personally i like songs with lots of energy because i want music that will excite me not put me to sleep. I guess this is really not my field of expertise since i'm more into metal & music with more elaborate instrumental work. Still though Something In The Way is haunting song a pretty unique choice, i'll give you that.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 11:55 am

Come As You Are may be cliche to you, but I happen to like it.  People may be voting for them because they like them, or because they might represent a moment in time for them, or maybe because it's all they've heard of.........who knows. 

There really is no reason to mock people's choices; this is subjective after all.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 12:02 pm

I love nirvana, es my favorite band
and nevermind is the best CD of the last 15 years

and..
this quote is unnecesary cause all songs are great

But breed and territorial pissings are the best

Dude there's been way better music in the last 15 years, you just have to look a little harder & not rely on radio & TV to provide you with your entire musical diet. I'll admit it is possibly the most influentual album in the last 15 years, but not the best CD in the last 15 years.

Written By: Juan on 02/23/06 at 12:04 pm

NOBODY VOTED FOR ON A PLAIN?
THAT'S A GREAT SONG!
AND ITS A HAPPY SONG..IT MAKES ME HAPPY..IT REMINDS ME THE 90'S
CAMMON MAN
VOTE 4 ON A PLAIN
AT LEAST 1 VOTE!

Written By: Juan on 02/23/06 at 12:09 pm

Dude there's been way better music in the last 15 years, you just have to look a little harder & not rely on radio & TV to provide you with your entire musical diet. I'll admit it is possibly the most influentual album in the last 15 years, but not the best CD in the last 15 years.

When I say best, means personal opinion
I know more music than u, that's 4 sure
but 15 years, is not 1985
is 1990!
and that CD is one of those cds who u can listen to it and don't get tired of it, and when u reach something in the way u turn back to smells like teen spirit.

Also I like Awake (Dream Theater), Ten (pearl Jam), Dirt and Facelift (Alice in chains) , Superunkown (Soundgarden), Dookie (Green Day)
but nevermind its a little more good than those.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 12:13 pm

Come As You Are may be cliche to you, but I happen to like it.  People may be voting for them because they like them, or because they might represent a moment in time for them, or maybe because it's all they've heard of.........who knows. 

There really is no reason to mock people's choices; this is subjective after all.

I'm sorry but i wasn't mocking, i was simple making an observation & a point & giving someone the thumbs up for choosing something different for a change. I thought this is a place were people can openly discuss things. Isn't the internet the last fronier of freedom of speech or has that been cencored aswell. IThose songs are boring cause the radio killed them by over playing them. When i do choose to listen to this album they are the songs i skip through. If i'm not allowed to say that out of fear of being told off by the politically correct police then this is totally lame.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 12:17 pm

I'm sorry but i wasn't mocking, i was simple making an observation & a point & giving someone the thumbs up for choosing something different for a change. I thought this is a place were people can openly discuss things. Isn't the internet the last fronier of freedom of speech or has that been cencored aswell. IThose songs are boring cause the radio killed them by over playing them. When i do choose to listen to this album they are the songs i skip through. If i'm not allowed to say that out of fear of being told off by the politically correct police then this is totally lame.

1. I'm not the PC Police.  I wear no shield, I have no badge.  I don't even have those cool lights for my car.

2. Your post did come off as mocking, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

3. Who said anything about free speech?  Save that spiel for something else.  No one was telling what you could say or what you couldn't say.

4. You think they're boring......fine. 

5. I didn't "tell you off".  If I told you off, trust me...........you'd know. 

Subject: NIRVANA IS BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS

Written By: Juan on 02/23/06 at 12:21 pm

TRANSFORMERS SUCKS

(i'm lying, i love them, BUT 4 U MOTHERFAKER I HATE THEM)

so, this is openly free to discuss so, U SUCK, TRANSFORMERS SUCKS, AND MEGATRON SUCKS
OPTIMUS PRIME IS BETTER
AND NIRVANA RULES
AND COME AS YOU ARE IS GREAT
AND..DO U LIKE MUSIC??
TELL US YOUR FAVORITE BANDS...(N'SYNC....BSB...LOL)

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 12:29 pm

When I say best, means personal opinion
I know more music than u, that's 4 sure
but 15 years, is not 1985
is 1990!
and that CD is one of those cds who u can listen to it and don't get tired of it, and when u reach something in the way u turn back to smells like teen spirit.

Also I like Awake (Dream Theater), Ten (pearl Jam), Dirt and Facelift (Alice in chains) , Superunkown (Soundgarden), Dookie (Green Day)
but nevermind its a little more good than those.

Gee what an impressive list of albums there, wow you must know more than me LOL. In case you can't tell i'm being sarcastic. See now i'm mocking.
Ok you are trying to tell me that you know more music than i do. Well firstly you don't even know me & you are possibly half my age with half the life experience. How many albums do you have in your collection that aren't single & random downloaded songs from the internet. I'm also aware that we are talking about 1990s don't let my alias fool you, i was in highschool when all the music you're probably just getting into now was around. What is their a rule that just because my online name is Cafe80s that i'm not supposed to know anything about the 90s & that i'm not allowed to talk about it?

Subject: Re: NIRVANA IS BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 12:39 pm

TRANSFORMERS SUCKS

(i'm lying, i love them, BUT 4 U MOTHERFAKER I HATE THEM)

so, this is openly free to discuss so, U SUCK, TRANSFORMERS SUCKS, AND MEGATRON SUCKS
OPTIMUS PRIME IS BETTER
AND NIRVANA RULES
AND COME AS YOU ARE IS GREAT
AND..DO U LIKE MUSIC??
TELL US YOUR FAVORITE BANDS...(N'SYNC....BSB...LOL)

I'm sorry, but you sound like an idiot.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 12:39 pm

LOL Dude you're lame, don't think that if you personally attack me or something i like that i will get angry or upset you are wasting your time. I couldn't give a flying f**k what you think of Transformers or Megatron or Optimus.
I just counted & i have 207 albums not including the stacks of vinyl i have so don't make me choose a favourite cause i like certain things for different reasons & i couldn't possibly choose a favourite album or favourite band.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 12:41 pm

What is their a rule that just because my online name is Cafe80s that i'm not supposed to know anything about the 90s & that i'm not allowed to talk about it?

Quit fishing for sympathy.  No one said anything about your screenname, so you didn't need to toss it in the ring. 

Subject: Re: NIRVANA IS BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 12:43 pm

I'm sorry, but you sound like an idiot.

Sorry about before i wasn't mocking anyone else, just that guy cause he's obviously a few cans short of a six pack.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 12:49 pm

Quit fishing for sympathy.  No one said anything about your screenname, so you didn't need to toss it in the ring. 

yeah that guy did, he said "but 15 years, is not 1985
is 1990!" He asumes because of my screen name & my avatar i don't know anthing about pop culture from 1989 onwards. Anyway who really f**kin cares

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 12:53 pm

yeah that guy did, he said "but 15 years, is not 1985
is 1990!" He asumes because of my screen name & my avatar i don't know anthing about pop culture from 1989 onwards. Anyway who really f**kin cares

Oh, you thought that he assumed you didn't know anything..............

Yeah, thinking someone assumed something you have no way of proving is always the smart choice.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 1:04 pm

Yeah, thinking someone assumed something you have no way of proving is always the smart choice.

It's pretty obvious what he was implying & why, even with his language skills, or lack there of. End of disscussion.
Time to get back to the relevant topic.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 1:17 pm

Oh you assumed you're intelligent & sophistcated? And you prooved this by typing a few words on a keyboard to make some feeble attempt at disparaging someone you don't know to help lubricate some kind of self illusion & make up for something you lack like a life or a sense of humour that might have been eaten away by all the bitterness that you seem to be consummed by. There's an assumption for ya. Keep up the good work LOL. I'm outa here. ::)

Written By: YWN on 02/23/06 at 1:28 pm

I see it's an all out flame war on the Nevermind thread.  If I knew this was going to happen...I would bump these kind of threads more often.

Anyway...here are all my favorites from the album:  Lithium, Polly, Drain You, On A Plain, Something In The Way

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 1:50 pm

Oh you assumed you're intelligent & sophistcated? And you prooved this by typing a few words on a keyboard to make some feeble attempt at disparaging someone you don't know to help lubricate some kind of self illusion & make up for something you lack like a life or a sense of humour that might have been eaten away by all the bitterness that you seem to be consummed by. There's an assumption for ya. Keep up the good work LOL. I'm outa here. ::)

If you were Jim Morrison, that would be poetic and beautiful. 

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/06 at 1:45 am

NIRVANA RULES MAN
UP UP BUMP BUMP UP

Calm down dude and lay off the crack pipe ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/24/06 at 1:31 pm

NIRVANA RULES MAN
UP UP BUMP BUMP UP

WHY DO YOU KEEP POSTING IN ALL CAPS?  DO YOU KNOW HOW F*CKING ANNOYING THAT IS?

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/24/06 at 2:16 pm

Lounge Act... Totally

Written By: YWN on 02/24/06 at 7:14 pm

You know Juan, he tells it like it is.  Yo Juan, let's chill sometime.

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/25/06 at 4:25 pm

Ummm... I like Drain You and In Bloom.

Written By: Mayor West on 03/02/06 at 2:07 am

I voted for Lithium.

Written By: chaka on 04/22/06 at 3:40 pm

On A Plain-Love it.
forget SLTS,it's good but soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ad infinitum
overplayed.

Written By: Cafe80s on 05/25/06 at 12:44 pm

On A Plain-Love it.
forget SLTS,it's good but soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ad infinitum
overplayed.

Thank you  :)

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/25/06 at 1:10 pm

My personal favourite is "Come As You Are." I recently found an old VHS full of music videos taped by my brother in the early '90s. Most of it is hair metal - Poison, Motley Crue, etc. - but he also recorded the video for "Come As You Are" just as it was breaking into the MuchMusic video charts. The little pop up thing in the corner that tells me the video was 29 last week and 27 this week (or whatever it was, I don't remember exactly) provides a little thrill for a nostalgist like myself. ;)

I've always loved the music video for that song too, by the way.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/25/06 at 1:24 pm

Drain You.

Written By: KKay on 05/25/06 at 1:40 pm

I voted for 'on a plain"

its the only one besides teen spirit that i can remember.
it all kinda sounds the same to me.

Written By: chaka on 05/25/06 at 2:47 pm

Thank you  :)

ah,you're welcome  :)

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/26/06 at 8:59 am

There's a secret track on nevermind.

It's on Something in the way. After the main song ends, keep listening. It's 14 minutes into the track.

Written By: chaka on 05/26/06 at 12:56 pm

There's a secret track on nevermind.

It's on Something in the way. After the main song ends, keep listening. It's 14 minutes into the track.

yea it's called Endless Nameless...bloody awful really.

Subject: Best Song from "Nevermind" by Nirvana

Written By: Dude111 on 02/28/18 at 8:47 am

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Check for new replies or respond here...