inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oregon Trail

Written By: Chris S on 12/16/05 at 9:52 pm

Anyone remember this game? I think it was pretty big when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I am a freshman in college now.

Subject: Re: Oregon Trail

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/05 at 10:14 pm

I used to play this game in middle school...when we used those big floppy discs! LOL!  That was a fun game....the graphics were so "old school"!!

Written By: bbigd04 on 12/17/05 at 12:50 am

Oh yea, I remember playing it on those old Apple IIgs's in school.

Written By: audkal on 12/17/05 at 1:27 am

LOL, yeah I still have the copy we bought in like '95 or '96 and guess what, I still play it sometimes!  Takes me back to 1st grade.

Written By: nally on 12/19/05 at 11:28 am

I may have played it, but wasn't very good at it.

Written By: SpaceHog on 12/22/05 at 1:19 pm

I beat it in 5 minutes.

Written By: Criz on 12/22/05 at 1:23 pm

Lol - I still have a copy of it! It came with my first PC in '96. Think I got to the end quite a few times - after initially getting everyone killed! Y'know what, I actually feel like putting it on and having a go for old times sake!!

Written By: Criz on 12/24/05 at 7:03 am

Well I tried to play it - but it's too damn slow!! Got bored and quit!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/25/05 at 2:45 pm

^ Well yeah, by today's terms it would be frustratingly slow.

I did play it a bit around 1997, though. It wasn't too easy, nor too hard - simple but fun. I remember commenting that the music sounded like an Old West version of Neil Young. ;)

Also, the hunting scenes could be frustrating. You got 3-5 food points or so, if you shot a big animal. Sometimes you'd just have raccons or something, and you barely got anything for that.

Written By: Criz on 12/27/05 at 12:20 pm

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of computer games!

The hunting bits were definitly frustrating - especially beacuse half of those animals were too quick to even shoot!

Written By: KKay on 12/27/05 at 12:22 pm

We had it in school computers for students and then some anti-killing-animals person started ranting and raving and they had to take it out...

I liked it, but I kept losing people in the snow.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/05 at 12:23 pm

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of computer games!

The hunting bits were definitly frustrating - especially beacuse half of those animals were too quick to even shoot!

Yeah, that was one of the few computer games I got into (a friend at the time had it), I'm more of an "old school-er" (NES and Super NES is the stuff for me).

I do remember the animals were too fast, now that you mention it. I had alot of my characters die because of that! ;D

P.S. Just that we're talking about something from 1997 as "retro" is truly giving me an idea what it's like to feel old! It's not like I was some little kid or an early teenager at the time. I was 15 and 16 that year (and was looking back on stuff I liked from the 80's/early 90's a bit).

So I guess looking back on that now is like double nostalgia. ;)

Written By: Chris S on 12/30/05 at 8:07 pm

Whenever I died, they wouldn't have a funeral for me. I was just left there.

Written By: annonymouse on 01/01/06 at 3:36 pm

i loved to hunt in that game!  they recently made a new version of it

Written By: KKay on 01/01/06 at 6:41 pm

I loved the hunting, but I was simply not getting those people over the river on the raft.  sooooo much blood on my hands!

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/01/06 at 8:36 pm

I remember playing this as an RPG like D&D in 86-87 in school, not as a video game.

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 3:37 pm

Isn't this game still coming out in sequels?  I think it got hi-tech and 3D (ditched old school graphics) in Oregon Trail 4.  I believe I have Oregon Trail 2, but it doesn't work on my Windows 95 anymore.

I also recall the original Oregon Trail my sister would play on her Windows 3.0...with that huge literally floppy disk.

She wouldn't let me play it though.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...