inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Game Shows of the 90's

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/05 at 3:23 pm

What Game Shows of the 90's did you like?

I liked the 1991-1992 version of The $100,000 Pyramid with John Davidson

We had one in Canada called "Acting Crazy".

Subject: Re: Game Shows of the 90's

Written By: nally on 12/19/05 at 3:27 pm

The Ray Combs version of "Family Feud" was still on in the early part of the decade. It went to an hour-long "Family Feud Challenge" in 1992. Richard Dawson made a brief comeback in '93, but the show went off the air shortly thereafter. :-\\ Combs later killed himself. :\'(

"Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" premiered in 1999 and lasted into the 00's. I enjoyed that for a time.

I remember two short-lived game shows in 1993 called "Scattergories" (emceed by Dick Clark) and "Caesars Challenge" (a word game emceed by sportscaster Ahmad Rashad).

I might think of more later.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 5:16 pm

What is Jeopardy, Alex?

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/05 at 9:04 pm

The Ray Combs version of "Family Feud" was still on in the early part of the decade. It went to an hour-long "Family Feud Challenge" in 1992. Richard Dawson made a brief comeback in '93, but the show went off the air shortly thereafter. :-\\ Combs later killed himself. :\'(

"Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" premiered in 1999 and lasted into the 00's. I enjoyed that for a time.

I remember two short-lived game shows in 1993 called "Scattergories" (emceed by Dick Clark) and "Caesars Challenge" (a word game emceed by sportscaster Ahmad Rashad).

I might think of more later.

I remember the Dawson return.

Written By: audkal on 12/19/05 at 10:08 pm

I was obsessed with "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" in it's first year or so.  I also liked the new episodes of Hollywood Squares when they started.

Written By: nally on 12/19/05 at 11:48 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: rich1981 on 12/20/05 at 12:54 am

I also remember Shop 'til You Drop, Debt, Shopping Spree, Supermarket Sweep and Win Ben Stein's Money in this category of game shows as well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/20/05 at 11:36 am

I also remember Shop 'til You Drop, Debt, Shopping Spree, Supermarket Sweep and Win Ben Stein's Money in this category of game shows as well.

I remember those as well

Written By: nally on 12/21/05 at 10:26 am

Shop Til You Drop and Supermarket Sweep were on Lifetime in the early 90's, as I remember. When did Ben Stein's Money debut?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/05 at 10:28 am

I used to love watching Shop Til You Drop and Supermarket Sweep!!!! :)

Written By: nally on 12/21/05 at 10:35 am

I used to love watching Shop Til You Drop and Supermarket Sweep!!!! :)

I saw 'em on occasion...I didn't have cable tv where I used to live. So anytime I watched something on cable, it was at someone else's house.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/21/05 at 12:33 pm

I miss Supermarket Sweep. I always liked it when they would win the final round and that siren would go off.

Written By: Stompgal on 12/22/05 at 6:54 am

I enjoyed Family Fortunes with Les Dennis, Millionaire and Countdown (RIP Richard Whiteley). Catchphrase from the late 90s was also worth watching because it had the animated mascot Mr Chips.

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/05 at 11:22 am

I enjoyed Family Fortunes with Les Dennis, Millionaire and Countdown (RIP Richard Whiteley). Catchphrase from the late 90s was also worth watching because it had the animated mascot Mr Chips.

Is Family Fortunes still on the air?  We don't get that over here, so I've only ever seen it through TV Blooper shows

Written By: nally on 12/22/05 at 2:17 pm

Is Family Fortunes still on the air?  We don't get that over here, so I've only ever seen it through TV Blooper shows

Same here. I guess it's exclusively shown in the UK or something.

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/05 at 2:19 pm

Same here. I guess it's exclusively shown in the UK or something.

It's pretty much the UK version of Family Feud :)

Written By: nally on 12/25/05 at 11:39 pm

It's pretty much the UK version of Family Feud :)

I notice --- from seeing flubs from that show on "Outrageous Game Show Moments" specials --- that the strike "X"'s appear on the side of the board when someone gives an answer that doesn't make the survey, with a rather weird buzzer noise.

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/05 at 7:06 pm

I notice --- from seeing flubs from that show on "Outrageous Game Show Moments" specials --- that the strike "X"'s appear on the side of the board when someone gives an answer that doesn't make the survey, with a rather weird buzzer noise.

I don't like their Strikes.  I'd rather see the big Red X on the screen with the regular buzzer sound.  It's much more effective :)

Written By: nally on 12/26/05 at 10:16 pm

I don't like their Strikes.  I'd rather see the big Red X on the screen with the regular buzzer sound.  It's much more effective :)

yeah...and not a "farting" noise :D ::)

Written By: Criz on 12/27/05 at 12:19 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Stompgal on 12/30/05 at 11:55 am

I saw some earlier episodes of Catchphrase and Family Fortunes on Challenge.

Written By: nally on 01/02/06 at 1:32 am

I don't think they've made a series of it for at least 3 or 4 years.

Catchphrase is defintly my favourite game show from the 90s.

Anyone remember The Krypton Factor?? A programme I remember watching with my dad as he loved it for some reason!

I've seen a few cuts from "Catchphrase" on the "Most Outrageous Game Show Moments", including one clip when they revealed part of a picture with a guy that looked like he was doing something obscene...which made everyone crack up LTAO! :D ;D When another portion of the picture was revealed, all the guy was doing was waving his cane around.

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:37 am

There was a short-lived American Version of 'Catch Phrase' in 1985 hosted by Art James.  I remember seeing a few episodes of it.  It was a good idea for a game show, but ideally, Concentration did the whole rebus puzzle idea first.  Loved 'Classic Concentration'.  Always wanted to win a car.  LOL

Written By: nally on 01/02/06 at 1:40 am

There was a short-lived American Version of 'Catch Phrase' in 1985 hosted by Art James.  I remember seeing a few episodes of it.  It was a good idea for a game show, but ideally, Concentration did the whole rebus puzzle idea first.  Loved 'Classic Concentration'.  Always wanted to win a car.  LOL

"Classic Concentration"...wasn't that on in the 80's, though? ???

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:46 am

"Classic Concentration"...wasn't that on in the 80's, though? ???

Yep, it ran from 1987 - early 1992.  I remember they offered better prizes in the 1990-1992 seasons

Written By: nally on 01/02/06 at 1:48 am

Yep, it ran from 1987 - early 1992.  I remember they offered better prizes in the 1990-1992 seasons

I only watched it in the 80's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:52 am

I remember when ABC aired the heck out of  Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.  ;D

I a mean week long of Regis?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:55 am

I remember when ABC aired the heck out of  Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.  ;D

I a mean week long of Regis?  ;D

That sure was torture.  A week of twice the Regis .. his morning talk show, his game show, and he even appeared on a few Late Night Talk Shows in that week.  It was Regis everywhere.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! GET ME OUT OF HERE  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...