inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If movie was made set in 1995

Written By: Guest on 12/20/05 at 6:37 pm

After watching Dazed and Confused the other day and seeing how they totally captured the feel and mood of the '70s with songs and fashions I found myself wondering:  If a movie was made set in 1995 what songs, fashions, and other aspects of pop culture from that era would have to be included in order to capture the "feel" of that year.  I was 12 in 1995 and didn't pay much attention to the music scene at that time.

Subject: Re: If movie was made set in 1995

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/20/05 at 9:23 pm

Well...here are a list of songs that were popular that year:

Ain't Nothing But A She Thing- Salt-N-Pepa
Amazing Grace- Lori White
Ants Marching- Dave Matthews Band
As I Lay Me Down- Sophie B. Hawkins
Baby- Brandy
Baby Baby- Corona
Back For Good- Take That
Bigger Than The Beatles- Joe Diffie
Big Poppa- Notorious B.I.G.
Bizarre Love Triangle- New Order
Blind- KORN
Boombastic- Shaggy
Breakfast At Tiffany's- Deep Blue Something
Bring The Pain- Method Man
Bubba Hyde- Diamond Rio
Bullet With Butterfly- Smashing Pumpkins
Burden In My Hand- Soundgarden
Carnival- Natalie Merchant
Close To You- Fun Factory
Colors Of The Wind- Vanessa Williams
Crazy Love - Brian McKnight
Cumbersome- 7 Mary 3
Daddy's Home- Spanish Fly
December- Collective Soul
Diggin' On You- TLC
Dream About You- Stevie B
Dreaming Of You- Selena
Every Day Of The Week- Jade
Everything Zen- Bush
Fake Plastic Trees- Radiohead
Fantasy- Mariah Carey
Feel So High- Des'ree
First Of The Month- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Freak Like Me- Adina Howard
Free As A Bird- Beatles
Gangsta's Paradise- Coolio
Gel- Collective Soul
Get Down- Craig Mack
Get Ready For This- 2 Unlimited
Good- Better Than Ezra
Good Friday- Black Crowes
Hakuna Matata- Jimmy Cliff
Hand In My Pocket- Alanis Morissette
Hard As A Rock- AC/DC
Have You Ever Loved A Woman- Bryan Adams
Hey Lover- LL Cool J
Hey Now Girls Just Want Fun- Cyndi Lauper
Hot Fun In Summertime- Manhattan Transfer
I Believe- Blessed Union Of Souls
I Can Love You Like That- All 4 One
I Could Fall In Love- Selena
If I Were You- Collin Raye
I Got 5 On It- Luniz
I Know- Dionne Farris
I'll Be Around- Rappin' 4-Tay
I'll Be There For You- Rembrandts
I Miss You- NIIU
In The Summertime- Shaggy
It's Good To Be King- Tom Petty
J.A.R.- Green Day
Just A Girl- No Doubt
Keeper Of The Stars- Tracy Byrd
Kiss From A Rose- Seal
Let Her Cry- Hootie & The Blowfish
Lightning Crashes- Live
Live Forever- Oasis
Lump- Presidents Of The United States
Macarena- Los Del Rio
Missing- Everything But The Girl
Mortal Kombat- Immortals
Name- Goo Goo Dolls
Nobody Knows- Tony Rich Project
Ode To My Family- Cranberries
Only Wanna Be- Hootie & Blowfish
One Boy One Girl- Collin Raye
One Sweet Day- Mariah Carey
One Of Us- Joan Osborne
Pepper- Butthole Surfers
Pretty Girl- Jon B
Pretty Noose- Soundgarden
Red Light Special- TLC
Runaway- Janet Jackson
Run Away- Real McCoys
Santa Monica- Everclear
Sittin' Up In My Room- Brandy
Sold- John Michael Montgomery
Somebody's Crying- Chris Isaak
Someone To Love- Jon B
Sour Times- Portishead
Sprinkle Me- E-40
Strange Currencies- REM
Texas Tornado- Tracy Lawrence
Thank You- Boyz II Men
That's How You Know- Lari White
The Man Who Sold The World- Nirvana
Thinking About You- Trisha Yearwood
This Is How We Do It- Montell Jordan
Tomorrow- Silverchair
Tonight- Smashing Pumpkins
Too Hot- Coolio
Total Eclipse Of The Heart- Nicki French
Until It Sleeps- Metallica
You Are Not Alone- Michael Jackson
You Got It- Bonnie Raitt
You Oughta Know- Alanis Morissette
Violet- Hole
Walls- Tom Petty
Waterfalls- TLC
Water Runs Dry- Boyz II Men
When You Say Nothing- Alison Krauss
Where It's At- Beck
Where The River Flows- Collective Soul
Who Are You- Pearl Jam
Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under- Shania Twain

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/05 at 10:09 pm

You'd have to include Skaters in the movie .. u know the guys who wore the checked shirts, backwards hats and skateboarded around.  You don't see that style anymore

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/20/05 at 10:44 pm

yes, and everyone would be playing around with hackey sacks :)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/21/05 at 8:48 am

Make a lot of references to Beverly Hills 90210, Bill Clinton, Mallrats, Reality Bites.

Actually the above would really work best for a 1995 movie that glossed over the mid 90s like That 80s Show did for the 80s, where they tried to make it look like every guy in 1985 was a Don Johnson wannabe and every girl dressed like Madonna.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/05 at 9:52 am

1995 was the year that I graduated...so I am trying to think of things that were popular back then.....

Greenday, Boys II Men, wearing tights underneath jean shorts, long hippy skirts (even some of the guys wore these), Party of Five, Friends.....hmmm...I will think of more.

Written By: whistledog on 12/21/05 at 9:54 am

Make some references to TV shows that were still on the air back then ... those new shows Friends and The Drew Carey Show kind of look promising

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/21/05 at 12:31 pm

A lot of this information in this post is helping me with my movie scripts. I wrote a movie where my friend Dillon is sent back in time to 1994. It already has a lot of 90's nostalgia in it. And it's funny too. ;D

Written By: Guest on 12/21/05 at 5:06 pm

But what if the movie is about people who were in my age group at the time, basically kids in junior high just entering puberty and discovering girls, music, etc.? Here's what I would include: Kids on the school grounds just before class starts playing pogs, some gangsta wannabes with shaved heads and sagging pants (this was very popular with the "gangstas" at my school in late '95), as well as skater kids with their hats on backwards hanging out at the mall playing the Mortal Kombat II or III arcade game and asking if they saw the new episode of Mad TV that previous weekend (which first aired that fall).  The junior high girls at this time were quite the same as the junior high girls today, meaning already wearing make-up and making out with boys.  I would have them listening to TLC or Boyz II Men, going on about what a cool movie Clueless was, and wearing jeans and overalls, which is what I think were popular at this time with girls.  The songs I would include would be my attempt at including all the different varieties of music that kids were listening to at this time.  Here's a few I think would be good to capture the feel of '95:

"Linger" or "Dreams" by Cranberries (Good for a make-out scene)
"This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan (Good for school dance scene)
"I Wish" by Skee-Lo (Good for when gangsta wannabes are shown hanging out)

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Written By: Guest on 12/21/05 at 5:11 pm

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/21/05 at 6:44 pm

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/23/05 at 6:24 pm

if they make a movie set in 1995 they should do culture,music,fads and the newsmakers in that year

Written By: DevoRule on 12/24/05 at 12:13 am

Film 2005 and say it's 1995, nobody will notice!  ;D

I think the movie should emphasize the similarities as well as differences between 2006 and 1995, I Love the 90s kinda did that.  It's more authentic and interesting that way; the '90s are only half an era removed from today which partly explains why they kinda have a "half-presence" today.

Seriously though, for the movie "Slackers" (for that's what it should be called), here's what it should have:

*An arcade scene (1995/96 was the last gasp for arcades), maybe throw a PlayStation (one, of course) in from Japan
*Green Day and Mariah Carey references, just to be funny
*Some flannel, straight hair, occasional poofy hair/black and pink/neon outfits, some t-shirt/jean people
*A Beavis and Butt-head reference
*An Internet reference, "Hey dude check this out ... I'm WORLDWIDE"
*A hate on the '80s
*Vanilla Ice diss
*Coffee shop scene
*Set it in Seattle, the most '90s city on Earth
*70s nostalgia reference (i.e. Star Wars)
*Some R&B/old skool/gangsta rap, this stuff really dominated pop charts in most of the '90s
*Black clothing
*Tattoos, but not too many
*O.J. Simpson reference
*Sonic reference
*Scene where they're watching a sitcom
*"MTV doesn't play music videos anymore"
*News reporter reporting on violence in media
*A Pearl Jam reference

1995 would be a good year to set a '90s movie in as the early '90s had happened and the watered-out late 90s were not yet around.
The only better year to set it would be 1996.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/25/05 at 2:42 pm

^ Agreed.

I remember the 70's were starting to become cool by 1994/95 - infomercials about 70's music collections and many other things were on TV at the time. I don't know if they were "cool" for being themselves, of it was just a reverse action to the 80's view of the decade.

16 year old in 1995: "Well, geez, if the 80's made fun of the 70's so bad, and I think the 80's suck, I guess the 70's are alright!"  ;D

Only other thing I can think offhand, is something regarding talk shows. Ricki Lake was really big at the time and was sort of a trailblazer for how shows like that became today. Jerry Springer was around and getting popular, but not the "phenomenon" he was around '98.

Maybe for news events, references to the Baseball strike of '94, or Tanya Harding.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/26/05 at 5:40 pm

^News events?

The. O.J. Trial in 1994 and 1995 DOMINATED everything.  I remember hating to turn on the TV sometimes because all they seemed to talk about was O.J. Simpson.  Who ever figured that a 70s foootball star that faded into obscurity over the years would become such a media sensation in the mid 90s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/05 at 8:37 am

^ Oh yeah, they sure beat that one to death (even by their standards). It's a very sad thing, whoever was responsible. But we didn't need to hear about it as much as we did.

Without getting into it too much -- in the weeks after it happened, I remember hoping he wasn't guilty, but I've always fluctuated on that. Despite my interest in the case, I also was kinda annoyed with the nonstop coverage.

I've always been into the Naked Gun movies, so it also was a shock to me for that reason (I'd seen 33 and 1/3 when it came out earlier that same year).

Written By: Albert on 01/04/06 at 1:15 am

Another good movie that came out in '95 worth seeing if haven't seen...CLUELESS.

Written By: Albert on 01/04/06 at 1:20 am

Another good movie that came out in '95 worth seeing if haven't seen...CLUELESS. IMHO, call me nuts if you want to but it wasn't so different from now. (Now if you're talking '94 or earlier, now that's very different. I consider '95 a pivotal year.)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:21 am

^ Oh yeah, they sure beat that one to death (even by their standards). It's a very sad thing, whoever was responsible. But we didn't need to hear about it as much as we did.

Without getting into it too much -- in the weeks after it happened, I remember hoping he wasn't guilty, but I've always fluctuated on that. Despite my interest in the case, I also was kinda annoyed with the nonstop coverage.

I've always been into the Naked Gun movies, so it also was a shock to me for that reason (I'd seen 33 and 1/3 when it came out earlier that same year).

I think the '90s was when frivolous news began.

I personally couldn't care less about individual criminal cases if they don't affect me or someone I know in some way.  There are always going to be psychos in the world; being sad isn't going to make that change I'm afraid.  Of course, I'd much rather if there wasn't crimes like almost anyone.  ;)

The OJ case is indeed sad, as is the Peterson case (an even more stupid news story, the guy isn't even famous!), the Michael Jackson case, and any others.  But why should I care, at least any more than for another such crime?

Also, back in the day you wouldn't hear about the crap celebrities would do, and I think that as long as they got whatever justice necessary that's a good thing.  Why ruin a movie or song for millions by revealing a genius' messed-up personality?  

But to the point, yes OJ should be in "Slackers".

Written By: Satish on 01/04/06 at 12:57 pm

Film 2005 and say it's 1995, nobody will notice!  ;D

I think the movie should emphasize the similarities as well as differences between 2006 and 1995, I Love the 90s kinda did that.  It's more authentic and interesting that way; the '90s are only half an era removed from today which partly explains why they kinda have a "half-presence" today.

Seriously though, for the movie "Slackers" (for that's what it should be called), here's what it should have:

Actually, there's already been a movie called Slackers. It was released back in 2002:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240900/

There was also a movie called Slacker in 1991, which is definitely a seminal 90s movie. Directed by Richard Linklater, it was an icon of Generation X and the 90s indie-film movement:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102943/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacker_%28film%29

Check for new replies or respond here...