inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Is Worst: "Saved by the Bell" or "Friends"

Written By: woops on 12/28/05 at 3:26 pm

"Friends" has to be the most overrated sitcom of the '90's since it's not good of a sitcom.

As for "Saved by the Bell", just too annoying and can't watch it for a second...

The worst: "Friends" since the reruns are everywhere  :P

Subject: Re: Which Is Worst: "Saved by the Bell" or "Friends"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/05 at 3:34 pm

I watched SBTB for a little bit when it first came out; however, I got bored of it quickly.

Friends is definitely overrated and really wasn't funny. Besides, my other beef with the show was that it wasn't culturally diverse or truly representative of its New York City setting.

Written By: YWN on 12/28/05 at 3:38 pm

Friends was way overrated, that's definitely true.

I remember watching Saved by the Bell early mornings... I used to like it but it got bland and boring.  All the characters and situations were too predictable.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 12/30/05 at 6:00 am

neither- I like them both.

Written By: whistledog on 12/30/05 at 11:03 am

neither- I like them both.

same here

Written By: Stompgal on 12/30/05 at 11:52 am

Saved by the Bell. I didn't watch it as much as Friends.

Written By: Criz on 12/30/05 at 6:24 pm

10 years ago I loved Saved By The Bell. Now I love Friends. So neither it is for me!

I wouldn't call friends a 'Tween' sitcom at all. Some of the episodes are rated 12 or 15. Plus some of the jokes are of a sexual nature that many kids wouldn't understand!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/30/05 at 6:35 pm

I never liked either one of these shows.  I honestly did try to get into them because people would always talk about both of them.  SBTB was too fake and corny for me.  I think I was too old for SBTB, I was the same age as the characters on the show, class of '93, but SBTB seemed to be aimed at people who were children at the time.  And Friends just bored me.  I never cared for the characters, despite Jennifer Aniston being easy on the eyes.  Maybey back in those days I was too old for SBTB but too young to really get into the post college young adult world of Friends, I dunno.  I would probably have different feelings on Friends if I watched it now, but the show never interested me. 

But give me Three's Company anyday, now there was an entertaining sitcom.  It was stupid in a good way.   :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/30/05 at 11:31 pm

I never liked either one of these shows.  I honestly did try to get into them because people would always talk about both of them.  SBTB was too fake and corny for me.  I think I was too old for SBTB, I was the same age as the characters on the show, class of '93, but SBTB seemed to be aimed at people who were children at the time.  And Friends just bored me.  I never cared for the characters, despite Jennifer Aniston being easy on the eyes.  Maybey back in those days I was too old for SBTB but too young to really get into the post college young adult world of Friends, I dunno.  I would probably have different feelings on Friends if I watched it now, but the show never interested me. 

But give me Three's Company anyday, now there was an entertaining sitcom.  It was stupid in a good way.   :)

so true

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/01/06 at 5:43 pm

Saved by the Bell was far worse... the sound of Screech's voice always sent me running from the room...  :o

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/03/06 at 12:14 am

Oh my.. both were so bad but I would have to say I prefer friends... I wonder how Screech would have been on that show???  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:34 am

I said "Both".

I haven't seen Saved by the Bell for probably about 10 years, but I've heard it sucked and believe that.

"Friends" is okay but is so overrated I despite it. At least it's over  :)

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/03/06 at 12:53 am

Saved By the Bell was so bad, you couldn't believe they were serious! Just cheese, exxtra nacho American imitation cheese food. Also you couldn't quite seem to turn it off.
Friends was clever some of the time, and so mean spirited which I love in a show.

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/09/06 at 8:24 pm

Never seen either of them, but from what I've heard, Saved by the Bell would probably be more in my area.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/09/06 at 8:26 pm

I didn't really like either one, which is why I didn't watch either a lot. I would say Saved By the Bell is worse though.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/10/06 at 12:39 am

I enjoyed Saved By the Bell when I was inthe 6th grade...

Friends, however, was NEVER funny.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/11/06 at 6:00 pm

about 3 years ago I met Dennis Haskins, "Principal Belding" at a party in Beverly Hills. He was surrounded by a bevy of bikini models from "Pefect 10" nudy mag. I was able to momentarily pry him away to pose with him in a pic.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 11:06 pm

I always liked Saved By The Bell.

Can't comment on Friends, as I have never even seen once second of it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/13/06 at 2:24 pm

Wow, I didn't realise the backlash with "Friends" was so bad here. Is my humour rather bland and boring and despictable? I really like "Friends." I'm not going to say I love "Friends" because, yeah, it had it's weaknesses at times, but it was much, much better than most other shows at the time.

And as corny as "Saved by the Bell" was, it still was fun to watch. I used to watch that on afternoons right after the Brady Bunch finished.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/13/06 at 3:03 pm

Wow, I didn't realise the backlash with "Friends" was so bad here. Is my humour rather bland and boring and despictable? I really like "Friends." I'm not going to say I love "Friends" because, yeah, it had it's weaknesses at times, but it was much, much better than most other shows at the time.

And as corny as "Saved by the Bell" was, it still was fun to watch. I used to watch that on afternoons right after the Brady Bunch finished.

Screech!  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/13/06 at 5:10 pm

Screech!  8)

Mr. Belding *kids roll their eyes at one of his crazy schemes*  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/06 at 5:12 pm

Both are as dire as each other!

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/06 at 5:25 pm

Mr. Belding is one of the longest running characters on TV sitcom.  Dennis Haskins starred as Mr. Belding on 4 Different TV Shows, and 2 TV movies from 1987-2000

In 2002, he guest starred as Mr. Belding on an episode of The Rerun Show", making it 5 Different Shows  8)

Written By: Tia on 01/13/06 at 5:31 pm

I'm with you, I like friends. I never really sought it out but what I saw I liked. Decent writing, likable characters, and Jennifer aniston is a great actress. (see a movie called "the good girl" if you don't believe me.)

saved by the bell, on the other hand, is completely unwatchable drek. It might have had nostalgia value if I'd seen it as a kid, maybe.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/15/06 at 5:39 pm

I'm with you, I like friends. I never really sought it out but what I saw I liked. Decent writing, likable characters, and Jennifer aniston is a great actress.

in a memorable episode of "Married with Children" Al Bundy says " If you watch Friends with binoculars, you can see  Jennifers Anniston's nipples!!!"

Written By: Stereomanic on 01/17/06 at 10:18 am

i personally am not a fan of either show, but i do not hate either enough to choose a worst one, so i vted 'neither'

Written By: gmann on 01/18/06 at 3:05 pm

I'll echo the comments of a previous poster when I say that I'm indifferent to both shows. Maybe Friends moreso than SBTB. The latter I found fake as a youngster, while the antics of Friends were hard to relate to as a high school kid. I know it's not cool to say it, but I've warmed up to it a *little* in recent years...maybe because I can identify with Ross' plight. Sheesh. Just shoot me, already!  :-[ 

Written By: AU300ModR on 02/13/06 at 5:21 pm

i personally like friends more, but that could be b/c Monica and Rachel are hott. but then again tiffany Thessin is pretty hott too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 5:28 pm

There both decent shows

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/13/06 at 6:56 pm

I never really liked either of them.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/14/06 at 1:00 am

I dont see why Saved By the Bell is being scrutinized so much. It was just a teen show aimed at youngsters to make that era seem more innocent than it really was. There were much worse shows for kids to watch then.

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/14/06 at 1:09 am

I don't know much about Friends, but at least Saved By The Bell is not full of sex or violence - like too many shows today have.

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 7:10 am

friends is also pretty violence-free.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/16/06 at 7:00 am

Well Saved By The Bell was super cheesy to the max & a very poor TV show, but for some reason the show didn't really bother me. Whereas Friend's was so annoying & i hated it to death. It was so over hyped at the time to the point of annoyance & i'd even over hear girls talking about it at school in the school yard, whereas noone talked about Saved By The Bell out of pure embarrasment that someone might find out the watch it.
They are showing Saved By The Bell at around 3am in the morning on free to air TV here in Australia. Last year it was USA High.

Check for new replies or respond here...