inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Difference Between 1999 and 2006 fashion

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 3:16 pm

What differences are there between today's fashion and that of 1999?

Girls seemed to dress sluttier in 1999 than today; I think it was about 1996, maybe 1995 when showing your belly button became trendy.  By about 2004 it started to decline. Today girls are starting to dress more excessively (which is fine with me).

Flannel is dead today, except among younger Xers.  Backwards baseball caps were still cool in 1999, today they're slightly uncool.

Subject: Re: Difference Between 1999 and 2006 fashion

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely say backwards hats are almost "dorky" looking today (not quite to the point of getting openly made fun of, but not far from it either). That peaked more in, like 1991-94 I think. Seems very Vanilla Ice/Marky Mark-ish to me.

But they were still more "ok" in '99 than today, probably.

Of course it's less significant, but brand names like BUM Equipment and Old Navy were more popular in 1999 than today. Now it's Abercrombie & Finch, Puma, etc.

I too, have noticed the "slutty" look is vaguely less popular now. But I have to say, I think it's been a general fashion trend since the entire 90's (even in the 80's a bit) for girls to dress more "guy-ish" (i.e. jeans or other pants like that).

On an off note, I don't recall much, if ever, seeing a girl at my high school (I went from 1996-2000) wearing skirts or such. It was mainly female versions of "guy" clothes. I do think that's cool/attractive in its own way - possibly just 'cause I'm so used to it now.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely say backwards hats are almost "dorky" looking today (not quite to the point of getting openly made fun of, but not far from it either). That peaked more in, like 1991-94 I think. Seems very Vanilla Ice/Marky Mark-ish to me.

But they were still more "ok" in '99 than today, probably.

Of course it's less significant, but brand names like BUM Equipment and Old Navy were more popular in 1999 than today. Now it's Abercrombie & Finch, Puma, etc.

I too, have noticed the "slutty" look is vaguely less popular now. But I have to say, I think it's been a general fashion trend since the entire 90's (even in the 80's a bit) for girls to dress more "guy-ish" (i.e. jeans or other pants like that).

On an off note, I don't recall much, if ever, seeing a girl at my high school (I went from 1996-2000) wearing skirts or such. It was mainly female versions of "guy" clothes. I do think that's cool/attractive in its own way - possibly just 'cause I'm so used to it now.

I too, like the trend of girls wearing jeans: it's respectable dressing but it's quite attactive in a more decent sort of way.  I'm not a fan of the slutty look, to me it actually makes people seem less attractive because it has a look of "cheapness" to it.

It's funny: pre-'80s, men were from Mars, women were from Venus, in the '80s everyone (except Annie Lennox  ;D ) was a woman, and in the 90s and '00s everyone's a man.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 3:47 pm

I too, like the trend of girls wearing jeans: it's respectable dressing but it's quite attactive in a more decent sort of way.  I'm not a fan of the slutty look, to me it actually makes people seem less attractive because it has a look of "cheapness" to it.

Agreed. I don't find too many other guys that think the way I do on this either.

It's funny: pre-'80s, men were from Mars, women were from Venus, in the '80s everyone (except Annie Lennox  ;D ) was a woman, and in the 90s and '00s everyone's a man.

Except the cross-gender guests on Jerry Springer. ;D

Really though, this is very accurate too. In fact, I'd say girls wear less makeup now than in the 80's (hell, they wear less than most guys did then, LOL). For whichever reason, I find this more attractive in girls/women too - just looking like yourself is best, IMO.

I wonder if we'll revert from the "casual guy" look in the 2010's? That's one thing about the 90's/00's I would miss if it were to go away.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 3:54 pm

Agreed. I don't find too many other guys that think the way I do on this either.

Except the cross-gender guests on Jerry Springer. ;D

Really though, this is very accurate too. In fact, I'd say girls wear less makeup now than in the 80's (hell, they wear less than most guys did then, LOL). For whichever reason, I find this more attractive in girls/women too - just looking like yourself is best, IMO.

I wonder if we'll revert from the "casual guy" look in the 2010's? That's one thing about the 90's/00's I would miss if it were to go away.

I think the thing I'll miss most about the 1990s and 2000s when they're gone is the fact that they still have plenty of pop culture, even if it is starting to fade away.  Even at the point of 2006, we haven't yet traded our culture in altogether for technology, which I think is essentially the process.  Basically, in exchange for advanced (but nowhere near futuristic) technology such as the Net and Playstation we have to trade in our common 20th century pop culture in for much more private, unsharable indie music.  I like indie stuff, but even though pop culture is incredibly stupid I will miss it because it allows complete strangers to have something in common with each other.

When, and if everyone goes indie, making their own stuff and watching/listening to homemade stuff we'll be even more isolated as a race.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 4:18 pm

I think the thing I'll miss most about the 1990s and 2000s when they're gone is the fact that they still have plenty of pop culture, even if it is starting to fade away.  Even at the point of 2006, we haven't yet traded our culture in altogether for technology, which I think is essentially the process.  Basically, in exchange for advanced (but nowhere near futuristic) technology such as the Net and Playstation we have to trade in our common 20th century pop culture in for much more private, unsharable indie music.  I like indie stuff, but even though pop culture is incredibly stupid I will miss it because it allows complete strangers to have something in common with each other.

When, and if everyone goes indie, making their own stuff and watching/listening to homemade stuff we'll be even more isolated as a race.

You've got a point there. This is something I've often feared would happen in the future (and I'm not talking about 2010, 2015 or something relatively close. I mean closer to 2030-40). Our lives do depend on technology, and it's a good thing, but there's only so much than can exist before machine overcomes and outnumbers man.

In fact, this may be one reason I've tended to resist advances in technology when they first happened (okay, I thought the advent of CD's were cool in 1987, but I was 5!!). When the Internet first started getting to be a household thing around 1998, I was saying the same thing. Especially when stuff like "online shopping" started coming around.

At the time --- and this is going with me saying I loved the 'Net, btw --- I worried it would eventually render all the stuff I knew as passe (e.g. regular shopping, attending events, going out, and just socializing) if we could all do it from our homes. Humans are by nature, "social animals", so we shouldn't ever lose that.

Of course come about 2001 I realized we weren't going into sci-fi land ( ;D ) but the point is (and I guess this brings me back to the original point of this thread), I think it's not a bad thing for stuff to become "old school" or get made fun of when new things come along. It keeps us all moving, in a sense. Keeps the world interesting.

Even though there's been minor changes, pop culture has kinda stagnated for around 9 years now in certain respects.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 4:22 pm

You've got a point there. This is something I've often feared would happen in the future (and I'm not talking about 2010, 2015 or something relatively close. I mean closer to 2030-40). Our lives do depend on technology, and it's a good thing, but there's only so much than can exist before machine overcomes and outnumbers man.

In fact, this may be one reason I've tended to resist advances in technology when they first happened (okay, I thought the advent of CD's were cool in 1987, but I was 5!!). When the Internet first started getting to be a household thing around 1998, I was saying the same thing. Especially when stuff like "online shopping" started coming around.

At the time --- and this is going with me saying I loved the 'Net, btw --- I worried it would eventually render all the stuff I knew as passe (e.g. regular shopping, attending events, going out, and just socializing) if we could all do it from our homes. Humans are by nature, "social animals", so we shouldn't ever lose that.

Of course come about 2001 I realized we weren't going into sci-fi land ( ;D ) but the point is (and I guess this brings me back to the original point of this thread), I think it's not a bad thing for stuff to become "old school" or get made fun of when new things come along. It keeps us all moving, in a sense. Keeps the world interesting.

Even though there's been minor changes, pop culture has kinda stagnated for around 9 years now in certain respects.

Agreed. :)

When I hear the 80s people whine about how their decade has dated, I read with envy.  I find it sad, not cool that the '90s I lived in are still somewhat present.

I think by the 2020s, Pop Culture will become a personal thing, rather than something people share in common, which I find to be sad, even if it's for the better.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 4:31 pm

Agreed. :)

When I hear the 80s people whine about how their decade has dated, I read with envy.  I find it sad, not cool that the '90s I lived in are still somewhat present.

I think by the 2020s, Pop Culture will become a personal thing, rather than something people share in common, which I find to be sad, even if it's for the better.

Yeah, could be. Maybe it'll be more "groupified" in a sense.

Pop culture may become collectively kinda like a high school. There'll be a group who's into pop stuff, a group that likes cutting edge, a few metalheads, artsy folks, fans of retro music, etc. Now, of course, there's gonna be some commonalities among most everyone, even if everyone's individual taste is different.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 4:38 pm

Yeah, could be. Maybe it'll be more "groupified" in a sense.

Pop culture may become collectively kinda like a high school. There'll be a group who's into pop stuff, a group that likes cutting edge, a few metalheads, artsy folks, fans of retro music, etc. Now, of course, there's gonna be some commonalities among most everyone, even if everyone's individual taste is different.

Believe it or not, I'll probably miss how the 2000s is so rap-centered in the future.  It may very well be the last pop culture common to strangers.  I sure hope the kids of the 2020s will have at least some cultural things in common. 

There will always be trends though.  Today has enough technology, with Yahoo Launchcast and stuff to make everyone Indie, but there's still a mainstream culture (that is, the post-gangsta rap culture).  I like to have different tastes than other people, but I'd be saddened if everybody was like that.

Maybe when Satellite radio takes over ground radio, mainstream pop culture will crumble.

Written By: Chris S on 01/11/06 at 12:13 am

Preppy clothes were really back in late '99 and lasted til like '02. Today teens wear shirts from Hollister with sexual connotations. Good Will is still kinda popular. Flip flops are popular of course and have been since like '03. I think 3 years is pretty good for a clothing fad. Not as many guys gel their hair like guys did in '99.

Written By: audkal on 01/11/06 at 12:13 pm

Personally, as a girl, I don't like to dress slutty, so it's good to know there are guys that don't care for it.  I agree that there is less showing of the belly button nowadays, though the jeans they make for girls today are super tight, which, in a way can be slutty too.

I hope it'll be a while before technology totally takes over, though, I can even start seeing it now.  I miss when back in the 90s, my brothers and I had to actually think of ways to have fun, instead of just resorting to the internet or video games all the time.  Yes, we had Sega Genesis back then, but that was all we had.  Now we have computers (all with the internet), a PS2, an XBOX, DVD players, etc.  I liked it when we used to roller skate all the time, ya know, who really does that anymore?  I so rarely see anyone roller skating/blading, did that die in like the late 90s?  Anyway, having fun was so much better back then, more spontaneous, just playing outside and stuff.

Written By: MLB on 01/11/06 at 1:52 pm

Whatever the subtle differences are in designer labels making clothing between now and later this year, I have no doubt I will not be following the "biggest trends".  Partly because I'm too old to care about designers because up to now I haven't cared anyway.  Basic pieces are never out of style. Jeans and pretty blouses, cardigans and trousers. Classic style.

Written By: JDeeOfV on 01/12/06 at 3:38 pm

well were still in 05 fashion mode really.

between 99 and now the most notable difference, as far as basic clothing goes, has got to be hairstyles and jeans/pants styles.

colors are also way different(though they say colors are calming down again soon), and for women theyve brought all kinds of skirts and dresses and tops, mens styles as usual change ever so gradually. Those striped(usually vertical or diagonal) woven shirts have been hot the last few years now for the 20 somethings and clubbers.

of course, the gen-x mentality of the 90s, which was never really too "loud" fashionwise after the early 90s, means lots of people are wearing stuff similar to what they did in 95, because if you try to hassle them for having "old school" style, they'll just say "yea, and what do you care?". its a lot easier to get away with not changing your style much when the style was never too "out there."

Written By: Dukefan on 01/13/06 at 2:43 am

I've noticed that in some ways the late 70s/Early 80s clothing styles have made a comeback for teenagers.  The simple striped T-shirts and 2-color shirts for guys, and tight fitting jeans for girls.

Novelty T-shirts are also popular again.

I think the reason for this is that the parents of today's teenagers grew up during the 70s, and therefor some of their style has rubbed off on their kids.               

Written By: Criz on 01/13/06 at 5:37 am

The major chnage in fashion from the late 90s to the present day is how much the 80s have been revived. 'Pink', mullet hair cuts, preppy clothes are all there for the boys and for girls, the possibilities are endless. I mean, I've been wearing footless tights for a number of years, and then all of a sudden - everyone's wearing them!

I think the younger generation do dress more sensible as you put it. Girls still may wear short skirts, but with the 'boho' look, longer, flowy skirts have been very fashionable the last couple of years. Jeans are always in fashion, but now skinny jeans have come back (very 80s again) and they're still fashioned to be worn on the hips which may make them a little more slutty - but hey, more comfortable I say!

I think skirts are definitly more popular nowadays too - I remeber being at 6th form college 4 years ago, and every girl would be in jeans. Maybe it's me just getting older, but the people around me, myself included (even though I've always liked skirts) wear both equally.

Flat shoes are also very much in, (once again, very 80s), as are items such as city shorts (love my city shorts!), stripy items, long beads and layering all are in for us girls.

Finally - I think that people have become more individual in what they wear (or is that just me and the people around me?). Apart from the stereotyped 'chavs' it seems like younger people do dress better nowadays. I just dress how I like. Yes, I can follow the trends slightly, but I rework things and wear what I like. Mixing classic items with current ones is much better then being a complete fashion victim I say. However, I quite like the fashion at the moment - much better then what I was wearing in 1999!

Written By: audkal on 01/13/06 at 10:21 am

Jeans are always in fashion, but now skinny jeans have come back (very 80s again) and they're still fashioned to be worn on the hips which may make them a little more slutty - but hey, more comfortable I say!

Really???  LOL, I always thought they were literally a pain in the @$$ to wear, but that's just me, hehe.  ::)

Written By: Criz on 01/13/06 at 1:36 pm

You mean skinny jeans? Or hipster jeans? I meant that jeans worn on the hips are way more comfy than wearing them on the waist!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/13/06 at 2:12 pm

Well, 1999 was really a turning point in fashion (I was going to major in Fashion design, so this is really a hotspot for me :0)

1999 was sort of the ending point of that grunge look for guys and baggy pants were slowly disappearing (although they still appear to be popular between the 6th-12th graders - for God knows why!)

Women still dressed slightly boyish and hardly wore skirts, yet, the "girly" look was slowly returning with ruffles in shirts and jeans that were becoming more form fitting rather than covering up the body by being baggy or looking like those "mom" jeans where they're too tight around the waist, causing a pouch effect.

Make-up still looked a little harsh then - even on actresses. Hairstyles were still stuck in the "Rachel" cuts that were looking rather generic by that time.

Flash forward to 2006 - This era now looks to be all about softness. Everything on women's makeup has softened to a degree. Their faces look dewy, they have let up on the plastered face effect and have lightened the load a bit. Today's woman looks more like a mix between 1970's Farrah Faucet and 1980's Mod/Punk mixed in. Of course, not ALL women are doing this, but a majority of women have caught on to it.

I see a lot of girls are wearing more skirts today and dress more feminine - ten fold. Girls that I remember seeing who use to wear jeans all the time, are dressed so much nicer.

There are some objections to men's fashion - it's not generally that I don;t like today's clothes for men, but it just seems men are rather reluctant to take to it, eventhough I think guys would look SO hot if they started dressing without flannel or that same white shirt or that same generic looking knit sweater that came from Old Navy 10 years ago. I don't want to be harsh, but some of it is kinda boring and I think there are a lot better pieces of clothing to wear rather than the boring stuff that's been around for so long. I guess sometimes it's hard to steer from the tried and true..

So, I better stop there, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/13/06 at 2:19 pm

Well, 1999 was really a turning point in fashion (I was going to major in Fashion design, so this is really a hotspot for me :0)

1999 was sort of the ending point of that grunge look for guys and baggy pants were slowly disappearing (although they still appear to be popular between the 6th-12th graders - for God knows why!)

Women still dressed slightly boyish and hardly wore skirts, yet, the "girly" look was slowly returning with ruffles in shirts and jeans that were becoming more form fitting rather than covering up the body by being baggy or looking like those "mom" jeans where they're too tight around the waist, causing a pouch effect.

Make-up still looked a little harsh then - even on actresses. Hairstyles were still stuck in the "Rachel" cuts that were looking rather generic by that time.

Flash forward to 2006 - This era now looks to be all about softness. Everything on women's makeup has softened to a degree. Their faces look dewy, they have let up on the plastered face effect and have lightened the load a bit. Today's woman looks more like a mix between 1970's Farrah Faucet and 1980's Mod/Punk mixed in. Of course, not ALL women are doing this, but a majority of women have caught on to it.

I see a lot of girls are wearing more skirts today and dress more feminine - ten fold. Girls that I remember seeing who use to wear jeans all the time, are dressed so much nicer.

There are some objections to men's fashion - it's not generally that I don;t like today's clothes for men, but it just seems men are rather reluctant to take to it, eventhough I think guys would look SO hot if they started dressing without flannel or that same white shirt or that same generic looking knit sweater that came from Old Navy 10 years ago. I don't want to be harsh, but some of it is kinda boring and I think there are a lot better pieces of clothing to wear rather than the boring stuff that's been around for so long. I guess sometimes it's hard to steer from the tried and true..

So, I better stop there, lol.

Actually, Flannel is pretty dead for people under 30 or so, but from time to time I will see someone young wearing it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/13/06 at 2:27 pm

Actually, Flannel is pretty dead for people under 30 or so, but from time to time I will see someone young wearing it.

Yeah, it's on it's way out - and that doesn't mean the actual fabric has to go, just the way it's designed would help it better.

Written By: audkal on 01/13/06 at 11:04 pm

You mean skinny jeans? Or hipster jeans? I meant that jeans worn on the hips are way more comfy than wearing them on the waist!!

Oh sorry, I meant skinny jeans.  You're right about the hipster ones being more comfy.

Check for new replies or respond here...