inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s Artists who are stil putting out albums...

Written By: mandyj85 on 01/12/06 at 7:26 pm

What 90s artist are you kinda surprised to find out is still putting out albums? I just learned (from  my internship Universal) that Duncan Sheik (that guy who sang Barely Breathing) actually has a new album coming out this month, and apparently (according to duncansheik.com) he's kinda been around all along....so it made me wonder what other artists from the 90s are still trying to make some musical waves?

Subject: Re: 90s Artists who are stil putting out albums...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/12/06 at 7:29 pm

I'd say a high percentage of all the artists out there were formed in the 90s (or before). Some, however probably didn't become well known until the 00s.

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/06 at 7:40 pm

I am surprised Westlife are still putting out albums.  Just when you thought hte boy band craze had died  ;D

Written By: audkal on 01/12/06 at 10:17 pm

The Wallflowers are still pumpin' em out.  I like their newest album "Rebel, Sweetheart" which came out in May 2005.

To name some others,

Hootie and the Blowfish
Goo Goo Dolls
Green Day (this was a total suprise to me, I thought they died out way back in '97)
Backstreet Boys

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/13/06 at 12:40 pm

What is a "'90s artist"?

If you mean first became popular in the '90s, maybe 30% of them.
If you mean '90s-style, maybe 40% of them.
If you mean formed in the '90s, maybe 60% of them.

Written By: mandyj85 on 01/13/06 at 3:09 pm

I guess I meant artists who would later be associated with the 90s because that is where they (thusfar) had had the most succes. I can't believe Hootie and the Blowfish are still recording though! I mean I know they tour, but alot of acts do that later in their career to make up for all the recording royalties they blew early on in their careers

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/06 at 3:28 pm

Here's a few more:

Texas
Ocean Colour Scene
Manic Street Preachers
Tragically Hip
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/13/06 at 10:39 pm

Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters

Written By: audkal on 01/13/06 at 11:16 pm

I can't believe Hootie and the Blowfish are still recording though! I mean I know they tour, but alot of acts do that later in their career to make up for all the recording royalties they blew early on in their careers

Yeah I know, the only reason I know that is because my brother has the new one which is called "Looking For Lucky", (it came out in August 2005), he's been a Hootie freak since '95.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/14/06 at 12:27 pm

What is a "'90s artist"?

If you mean first became popular in the '90s, maybe 30% of them.
If you mean '90s-style, maybe 40% of them.
If you mean formed in the '90s, maybe 60% of them.

I guess they all could qualify in a way, but I'd pick #2 (for any decade).

If a band formed in a certain decade, I'd almost always say their "big" decade is the next one, unless they get big right away. Alot of the grunge bands formed in the 80's but were underground or on college radio. Same with how the Cars formed in the 70's, but they're clearly an "80s" artist to me (plus, songs like "Just What I Needed", while being from the late 70's, sound kinda 80's anyway).

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/14/06 at 12:33 pm

I guess I meant artists who would later be associated with the 90s because that is where they (thusfar) had had the most succes. I can't believe Hootie and the Blowfish are still recording though! I mean I know they tour, but alot of acts do that later in their career to make up for all the recording royalties they blew early on in their careers

Yeah, I heard of them having a new album some time back. I think they're still popular on name recognition, but I haven't known of any "hit" by them since 1995 or '96, LOL.

As for artists from the 90's still having reasonably "popular" albums today:

Green Day (of course. Heck, they might even be bigger in commerciality now!)
Sheryl Crow
Collective Soul
Foo Fighters (they could be a 90's band or a 2000's band about equally, though)
Alanis Morrisette
Mariah Carey

Check for new replies or respond here...