inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How easy/hard is it for you to date a '90s movie?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/16/06 at 11:48 pm

'90s movies look subtlely different from '00s movies IMO.

It usually takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to pick a mid-late 90s movie from a '00s one, early 90s movies stand out more.

Subject: Re: How easy/hard is it for you to date a '90s movie?

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/06 at 11:53 pm

date a 90's movie?  Will there be wine and soft romantic music?  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/17/06 at 12:00 am

^LOL.

Seriously though, it's usually the references and clothing styles that do it more than anything else. I find that this is true more with "teen" movies, or something directed more specifically at the youth culture. Whereas a "kids" movie, or an all around movie isn't centered around pop culture as much.

But I'd put the cutoff around 1996. I could watch a 1997 movie without knowing it and probably could mistake it for coming out today (without obvious references to the time, of course). Something from pre 1993 I could pick out almost instantly. 1994-96 is on the fence.

Technology plays a part too - heck, I kinda have to laugh when I see those oversized cordless phones on Seinfeld reruns. ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/17/06 at 12:19 am

Early '90s are easy, mid '90s I can usually tell but some movies look more "modern" than others, and late '90s pretty much looks like today.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 12:26 am

^LOL.

Seriously though, it's usually the references and clothing styles that do it more than anything else. I find that this is true more with "teen" movies, or something directed more specifically at the youth culture. Whereas a "kids" movie, or an all around movie isn't centered around pop culture as much.

But I'd put the cutoff around 1996. I could watch a 1997 movie without knowing it and probably could mistake it for coming out today (without obvious references to the time, of course). Something from pre 1993 I could pick out almost instantly. 1994-96 is on the fence.

Technology plays a part too - heck, I kinda have to laugh when I see those oversized cordless phones on Seinfeld reruns. ;D

Maybe this is just me, but late '90s New York kind of has a distinct vibe to it.  If you've seen "Fight Club", "The Matrix", or "Pi" you'll see what I mean.

The 2000s atmosphere seems a little more bleak than the late '90s atmosphere, but also less dark, if you know what I mean.  A house in 2005 might be more white than a 1998 house, but also less cozy.  It's hard to explain, but there's a slight atmospheric difference there.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/17/06 at 4:49 am

The differences between late 90s and 00s movies is pretty slim, but it's there.  Teens today might tell you.

Maybe if you compare Independence Day with The Fast and the Furious...

Written By: JDeeOfV on 01/17/06 at 9:25 am

for me i can usually see the difference between a late 90s movie and 00's movie, sometimes it can be hard to tell if its from 00 or 01 or 02, but 03 and beyond its pretty obvious to me. Same with the music videos; the styles, the the tint, the somewhat dated look, i can usually see it pretty quick.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/17/06 at 2:38 pm

There's also a lot more computer effects in videos and movies than there ever were in the late 90s(it was slight compared to today).

Check for new replies or respond here...