inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Date Span of backwards baseball caps

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 1:08 am

I'd say wearing backwards baseball caps goes from the late 80s to the early '00s, but especially from like 1991-1998.

Subject: Re: Date Span of backwards baseball caps

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/17/06 at 1:14 am

Peaked around 1994. I'd say 1991-96, with some people doing it as far as the early '00s.

Today it's semi cheesy and "old school" but not quite laughable. Will be by 2010 though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 1:17 am

Peaked around 1994. I'd say 1991-96, with some people doing it as far as the early '00s.

Today it's semi cheesy and "old school" but not quite laughable. Will be by 2010 though.

Yeah.  I seem some people wear them, they probably wouldn't get laughed at for it, but they certainly wouldn't get props either.  It's what I'd call a "passed, but not quite passe" fad.  Kinda like saying "That's the bomb".

Written By: karen on 01/17/06 at 6:29 am

In about 1989 the Guide uniform was redesigned here in the UK by Jeff Banks.  He introduced baseball caps as an optional part of the uniform and some of the publicity shots featured girls wearing the caps backwards or sideways so it was enough of a trend by then for it to be acceptable in main stream stuff.

Written By: Stereomanic on 01/17/06 at 10:13 am

lol, yes the infamous backwards baseball cap semed to have taken the younger generation by storm, everybody was doing it! i remember it peaking in about 1991, although my memory isn't too great, so i may be wrong

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/17/06 at 12:30 pm

1993 - 1996

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/18/06 at 8:49 pm

mid 80s

Subject: Gang signs

Written By: Echo Nomad on 01/19/06 at 12:04 am

I remember back in 1992 when there was a huge debate in high school about whether or not to allow caps in school. The administration claimed that the tilt of the hat could transmit gang signs. The students biggest argument was that their hair was specifically cut for the hat and they would look stupid. Never the less they were banned in school.

Written By: gmann on 01/19/06 at 12:23 pm

To each, his own...but I thought the backwards cap look was one of the silliest developments in modern fashion. Then again, I was always more "white bread" than many of my contemporaries.  :)

Written By: Satish on 01/19/06 at 1:39 pm

I've been wearing a baseball cap backwards a lot in the past week. Am I being anachronistic?  ???

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 3:00 pm

mid 80s

Maybe where you lived.  It wasn't widespread until the 1990s.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/19/06 at 3:05 pm

Maybe where you lived.  It wasn't widespread until the 1990s.

True the suburbs don't really get into anything until it's practically old!  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 3:08 pm

True the suburbs don't really get into anything until it's practically old!  ;)

;D  Dumb white people!

Written By: zcrito on 01/19/06 at 7:23 pm

It's funny, but if you wore a baseball cap back before say maybe 1984, you would have been looked upon as the village idiot or at least extremely juvenile. And that's whether you wore them frontward or backwards.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/21/06 at 12:44 am

I still see a lot of people wearing them backwards.  Not so much teenagers, but 20 somethings that grew up in the 90s.  The style was around in the 80s though...late 80s specifically.  I don't see it so much as a "cool fashion fad" today as it was in 1991, but more say like something for comfort, say if you are playing a game of basketball or something.  Or just out doing grocery shopping and you tilt it backwards, for comfort.  Not in the same "I'm so cool and bad ass" style of 1991.  Today I see it as more a comfort thing, or just something to do with your baseball cap...not as a rebellious cool thing to do like it once was.

Written By: Nesman on 01/22/06 at 3:15 pm

Thank god this trend is passing .... except now it is the suburban white boy with it turned off to the side in the so called locked position ... they look exactly like the urban rapper except guess what ... your white and your daddy works downtown making six fiugures and drives a Beemer .... get with it.  Especially ticks me off to see them driving around in their mom and dad's SUV looking like this.  Eeeewwww ... scary white rapper in an SUV.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/06 at 5:27 pm

Again, I don't see it as a "cool" or "bad ass" thing to do like it once was.  Now I see it as more of a comfort thing.  I don't think it's so horrible to wear your baseball cap backwards, unless you have the attitude that it's some kind of hip fashion like it once was. 

It's the same way that a t-shirt, designer jeans (like Jordache), and designer sneakers (like Nike) were a cool fashion in the early 80s, but that fashion still survives today.  People don't even think about it anymore like they did back in the early 80s.  Not so much as a cool thing to do, but just a comfort or neutral thing to do. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 6:26 pm

Again, I don't see it as a "cool" or "bad ass" thing to do like it once was.  Now I see it as more of a comfort thing.  I don't think it's so horrible to wear your baseball cap backwards, unless you have the attitude that it's some kind of hip fashion like it once was. 

It's the same way that a t-shirt, designer jeans (like Jordache), and designer sneakers (like Nike) were a cool fashion in the early 80s, but that fashion still survives today.  People don't even think about it anymore like they did back in the early 80s.  Not so much as a cool thing to do, but just a comfort or neutral thing to do. 

Do you still notice young people wearing flannel?  I do sometimes, but it's not everywhere like it was even in 2000. It's certainly not a fashion statement, except maybe within some circles.

Written By: Some Guy on 11/18/09 at 3:05 pm

I think it came from welders. They use baseball caps or welder's caps to keep sparks from burning their hair. But its kinda hard to wear a welding helmet on top of it with the bill facing forward. Solution? Turn it backwards. The bill then helps keep sparks from burning the back of your neck too.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/18/09 at 5:23 pm

With all these dates given does it mean that I am the trend setter? When I was 8 yrs. old in little league, T-Ball was not
around yet, I was the catcher because I was the only one on the team that could catch a ball while someone was swinging
at it. Catchers wore their caps backwards so the mask would fit properly. I started wearing my cap backwards all the time,
soon all the kids in our town were wearing their caps backwards and did so throughout Little League. The year of this
fashion statement ----- 1970.

PS. I'm also a welder and wore that cap backward as well.

Written By: Debi on 11/19/09 at 11:14 pm

I seem to remember that in the mid 90's.
My 19 year old nephew always wears his hat sideways.  He said its uncomfortable wearing it like that but he likes the look.  My 17 year old nephew always wears his hat backwards and to the side.  They always have their hats on too, last Christmas when they were over they were wearing their hats like that the whole time.  I wanted to tell them that they should take their hats off inside, but they each got me a nice gift and they were so nice that I just couldn't say anything. 

Written By: joeman on 11/20/09 at 5:48 pm

Well Fred Durst used to wear his backward red Yankees cap backwards all the time, but I think it is more of him covering his baldness.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/09 at 12:16 pm

1993 - 1997

Written By: 90steen on 11/21/09 at 12:50 pm

I was never a cap wearer. But All through Junior High and High School I saw it. Which was 1991 - 1997

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/22/09 at 1:53 am

I'd say wearing backwards baseball caps goes from the late 80s to the early '00s, but especially from like 1991-1998.

That seems about right. As silly as this sounds, what got me to think it was cool was from "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey", which came out in 1991, Bill was wearing a backwards ball cap, though he didn't wear a cap in the first one. Around 1999 was the last year that I wore a ballcap backwards (which was an Atlanta Braves hat). I occasionally wear my ballcap at a 45 degree angle in the recent years.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 11/22/09 at 7:03 pm

My family, August 8 1991. Note my sister's (who was 19) backwards cap.
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5849/myfamilyaugust1991.jpg

Written By: Vicki on 11/22/09 at 11:11 pm

Thank god this trend is passing .... except now it is the suburban white boy with it turned off to the side in the so called locked position ... they look exactly like the urban rapper except guess what ... your white and your daddy works downtown making six fiugures and drives a Beemer .... get with it.  Especially ticks me off to see them driving around in their mom and dad's SUV looking like this.  Eeeewwww ... scary white rapper in an SUV.

Yep, that bothers me to see that too.
Exactly like the 16 year old kid who lives across the street.  He always wears his hat sideways (the hat is backwards with the bill to the side).  He drives a BMW which is his.  He blasts the car stero with rap, and he even smokes cigarettes in his new BMW.  I happened to talk to him a few times, including just yesterday, and he actually seems to be somewhat of a nice kid.  I guess he likes to show off, but I'm not sure what he is showing off .   

Written By: Midas on 11/23/09 at 9:21 am

Sorry, I believe my backwards-wearing cap is still going to look better than all those dumbazz kids at the mall wearing skinny jeans that they fail to pull up over their arses and wearing their caps all wonky with the flat brims.  Or the 10-year old girls traveling in packs looking like hookers from the 80s.  Now THAT's laughable!  Yet sad at the same time.

I don't wear it backwards to "look cool" or whatever.  It's comfortable.  And keeps the sun off your neck when you're facing away from it.  It doesn't look bad on me neither.

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/09 at 7:22 pm

Sherlock Holmes wore the cap both backwards and forwards 8)

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/files/imagecache/feature/files/20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg

Written By: Silver Power on 11/26/09 at 8:47 am

Depends. If you're wearing a fitted-hat backwards , it looks fine. But if you're wearing an actual baseball cap backwards , you end up looking like a date rapist.

Written By: Midas on 11/27/09 at 9:01 am

Depends. If you're wearing a fitted-hat backwards , it looks fine. But if you're wearing an actual baseball cap backwards , you end up looking like a date rapist.

;D

I thought fitted meant that there's no adjusting the size of the crown (with a strap or whatever).  In that respect, I wear fitted caps.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/27/09 at 9:34 am

;D

I thought fitted meant that there's no adjusting the size of the crown (with a strap or whatever).  In that respect, I wear fitted caps.

Fitted Examples:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:B5mSlyyb5XNd5M:http://populargoodness.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dc-comics-new-era-59fifty-fitted-cap-4.jpghttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Q-JQDnh82aKzMM:http://www.bysneaker.com/images/Accessories/Caps/New-Era-Fitted-Cap-27.jpghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pegrKJDz1NLL4M:http://www.theassembled.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hella-tight-yeezy-tuxedo-hat-1.jpg

Note that some have golden stickers on them. This displays the size of the cap. I think they go from 7 1/8 to 7 7/8.

Baseball cap examples:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:gobKMjg0GQ9ojM:http://www.chefwear.com/images/storeitems/0122_BaseballCapSolidColors.jpghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:yzJPzmdD750NIM:http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm181/nammoncg/Baseball-Caps.jpghttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mMY4xzvCIa27bM:http://www.freshpromotions.com.au/products/verve-baseball-cap1.jpg

Hope that helped you a bit.  ;)

Written By: Midas on 12/01/09 at 10:22 am

Alrighty then.  I wear the baseball cap example and frontwards or backwards it looks fine and not date-rapist-y.  :P

Written By: Silver Power on 12/01/09 at 11:55 am

Alrighty then.  I wear the baseball cap example and frontwards or backwards it looks fine and not date-rapist-y.  :P

I truly hope so.

;D

Written By: Tyler on 12/02/09 at 12:01 am

Hello,  I'm 16 and I always wear a fitted hat with the flat brim and I always wear it backwards but to the side.  Some kids wear them forward/to the side but I always wear mine backwards/to the side.  I just think its very cool that way.
My older brother used to always wear his hat stright backwards, with the curved brim.  This was in the late 90s that I could remember, but they probably wore them like that a few years earlier.  He says the flat brim looks funny now, since he always made a big curve on his, I guess the curved brim cap worn straight backwards was cool then and the flat brim cap worn sideways it cool now, although there are quite a few kids at my school that wear a curved brim cap stright forward.  But I always wear a flat brim cap backwards/to the side.

-Tyler

Written By: jmead66 on 01/04/10 at 9:58 pm

A video of a Rolling Stones concert of March 26, 1971 at London's Marquee Theatre shows
Mick Jagger wearing a baseball style cap.  He takes it off during a guitar solo in LIVE WITH ME.  When he puts the hat back on, the bill is pointed backwards.

Written By: Jason W. on 01/13/10 at 11:25 pm

I seem to remember that in the mid 90's.
My 19 year old nephew always wears his hat sideways.  He said its uncomfortable wearing it like that but he likes the look.  My 17 year old nephew always wears his hat backwards and to the side.   They always have their hats on too, last Christmas when they were over they were wearing their hats like that the whole time.  I wanted to tell them that they should take their hats off inside, but they each got me a nice gift and they were so nice that I just couldn't say anything.   

That sounds like my teen relatives!
I started wearing my hat backwards in 1995 when I was 16.  I wore it like that in college too.  I guess it was the "bad" look that I liked, even though I was the nicest kid, I liked the "bad" look, and I just liked the way the hat looked that way too.   I remember  when I was in high school I worked as a lifeguard at a water park, and I was so excited on my first day to find out that they let us wear our hats backwards when working.   I wore it backwards all the time, even when I took my girlfriend out for a nice dinner.   Another thing I did during those years was wear my watch backwards (with the face on the bottom side of the wrist and the buckle on the top part of the wrist), I did that through college too.  

Written By: Tyler on 02/03/10 at 10:09 pm

I remember  when I was in high school I worked as a lifeguard at a water park, and I was so excited on my first day to find out that they let us wear our hats backwards when working.

Hey, I'm 17 and I worked as a lifeguard at a water park last summer,   I WISH they let us wear our hats how we like to.  They require us to wear our hats straight forwards.  I always have my hat backwards with the bill to the side except when they make me change it.  I ended up getting fired for smoking at work, but they said they will consider re-hiring me next suumer.  It was a cool job.

Another thing I did during those years was wear my watch backwards (with the face on the bottom side of the wrist and the buckle on the top part of the wrist  

I do that too.  My girlfriend got me a plastic Swatch (the ones that were popular before I was born) and I wear it like that.

I remember my older brother always wore his hat backwards in the late 90's, then went to wearing a visor backwards.

Check for new replies or respond here...