inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best videogame system of the 1990's

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/18/06 at 7:25 pm

Best 90's era videogame system?
I had the original PlayStation until I got my Xbox in 2003!

Subject: Re: Best videogame system of the 1990's

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/18/06 at 9:52 pm

I only ever had a computer growing up, so I don't have much opinion about any of the others. (Not that I cared for computers/video games back then... that's very much different now) I do however remember when Sega was around and when Nintendo 64 came out etc. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/18/06 at 9:56 pm

I had a bunch of game systems in the '90s, no 3do though it was too expensive. Playstation would probably be my favorite. I got one in Christmas 1996. I liked SNES and Genesis as well though.

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/06 at 9:59 pm

Other:  

Turbo Grafx-16.  It was released in North America in 1989, but it saw most of it's success in the early 90's.  I never bought one until around 1991.  It's still my favourite video game system.  Here's a few screenshots from some of the simply wonderful games this system released ...

Neutopia                                                     Neutopia II

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Neutopia/Neutopia.png http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Neutopia%20II/Neutopia%20II.png

New Adventure Island                                Bloody Wolf

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/New%20Adventure%20Island/New%20Adventure%20Island.png http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Bloody%20Wolf/Bloody%20Wolf.png

Cadash                                                 Dungeon Explorer

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Cadash/Cadash.png http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Dungeon%20Explorer/Dungeon%20Explorer.png

The Legendary Axe                                          Splatterhouse

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Legendary%20Axe,%20The/Legendary%20Axe,%20The.png http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Splatterhouse/Splatterhouse.png

Magical Chase                                          Moto Roader

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Magical%20Chase/Magical%20Chase.png http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Moto%20Roader/Moto%20Roader.png

Pac-Land                                          Shockman

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Pac-Land/Pac-Land.png http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/pce/Jeux/Shockman/Shockman.png

Written By: Echo Nomad on 01/19/06 at 12:12 am

I experience about 5 different systems during that decade but I think the biggest leap for me was the first time I played Final Fantasy 7 on the original Playstation.

The 5 systems..

Nes
Snes
Game boy
Virtual boy
Playstation

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/20/06 at 6:17 pm

I actually had Madden Football for my PlayStation, also the Crash Bandicoot game the system came with...

I have to wonder if Crash Bandicoot's creators were trying to copy or outdo Sega's successful Sonic the Hedgehog games?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/20/06 at 6:23 pm

I like that Nintendo has made the various Game Boy systems 'backwards compatible'meaning that older Game Boy Original games can be played on both Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP.

I love that Sega has made Sonic games for Game Boy Advance and GameCube..wish they'd do the same for the XBox. I have Sonic Advance 3 for my Game Boy Advance SP.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/20/06 at 8:11 pm

but I think the biggest leap for me was the first time I played Final Fantasy 7 on the original Playstation.

Same here. FF7 was like a life-changing experience for me, lol. After all these years, despite all the Gtas and Metal Gear Solids, Final Fantasy 7 is still the greatest video game of all time to me. I really hope the re-make rumors for PS3 pan out. It would be wonderful to experience it with new-generation graphics; I just hope they don't change Nobuo Uematsu's classic score. The game would feel as weird without it as Star Wars would without the John Williams music.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/21/06 at 11:11 am

Gotta go with the PS One. When the original Gran Turismo came out in 1997, my favorite car magazine, Car & Driver gave it stellar reviews, and I knew I just had to go out and buy it the very next day. I actually bought the PS One specifically for this game, and when I first fired it up I knew it was without question the coolest game I'd ever played.

Written By: Skippy on 01/21/06 at 2:34 pm

Gotta go with the PS One. When the original Gran Turismo came out in 1997, my favorite car magazine, Car & Driver gave it stellar reviews, and I knew I just had to go out and buy it the very next day. I actually bought the PS One specifically for this game, and when I first fired it up I knew it was without question the coolest game I'd ever played.

Seems you're all saying the game defined the system. So if GT was ported to Sega CD or Turbo-Grafix would either of those get the vote?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/21/06 at 7:12 pm

With video games, tech is good, so PS1.  It had some good games, such as Twisted Metal 3 & 4, Vigilante 8: Second Offense, and Crash Bandicoot: Warped. 

Although I think the Playstation was the beginning of Nu-school gaming and along with N64, killed the arcades.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/21/06 at 8:10 pm

I got to play a friend's Sega Genesis...and that's what started my love of all things having to do with Sonic the Hedgehog!

And the Mario games for the SNES were cool.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/21/06 at 8:12 pm

Seems you're all saying the game defined the system. So if GT was ported to Sega CD or Turbo-Grafix would either of those get the vote?
What about games that were originally created for a certain system, like Sega Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog, and Nintendo with Super Mario Bros. and its various spinoffs?

Written By: Skippy on 01/21/06 at 9:51 pm

What about games that were originally created for a certain system, like Sega Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog, and Nintendo with Super Mario Bros. and its various spinoffs?

That's my point. I would find a game that's ported to many sytems and then rate the system by graphics(color richness/texture), control use and function, & sound. That way you would have a true head-head comparison. There were also 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit systems to consider. Lumping them in only one catagory doesn't seem right.
I didn't play much in the 90's and the N64 is the only "newer" console I've used recently. Until the late 90's I played the Sega Master System some in the 80's and always thought the color was brighter than the Nintendo. I also often found Nintendo to be lacking some in quality.
Here's some food for thought: Atari's 2600 was first released in 1977 and sold for $249. What would that be in today's $$? Pretend video game consoled just came out; would you pay that for a 2600?

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/21/06 at 10:58 pm

How about Sega Saturn? It was my first game console besides CD-ROM.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 8:23 am

How about Sega Saturn? It was my first game console besides CD-ROM.
The Saturn really did not last that long.....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 8:26 am

Best 90's era videogame system?
I had the original PlayStation until I got my Xbox in 2003!
A major difference between my PlayStation and the XBox is that the controller has a 'stiff' feel whereas the PlayStation's controls were easy to manipulate....Whenever I play NASCAR Thunder on the XBox I end up with sore wrists afterwards because the controls are so stiff...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/22/06 at 9:23 am

Well, that certainly had a lot to do with why I opted for the PS One (just like I'm sure there's people who, for example, initially buy Xboxes just to play Halo, and there's people who buy Nintendos because they're fans of the Mario series), but the main factor in my decision was, quite simply, I wanted to see which platform was going to last, and which ones would fall by the wayside. It seems like every 3 to 5 years Sony, Nintendo, Sega, and now Microsoft introduce new game systems all around the same time, but only one or two of them are successful and the rest just kind of fizzle out. I figured it's a good idea to wait about a year or so before buying the next generation of a game console, because who wants to invest $200 of their hard-earned dough on a brand new system only to find that they've stopped making new games for it a year or so later?
   I once knew a guy who bought an Atari Jaguar, which came out around the same time as the first PlayStation, and while it was certainly a decent enough system, for some reason it didn't fare too well, and this poor guy was stuck with this advanced game console which he couldn't get new games for. I knew another guy who bought a Sega Saturn (which also was introduced around the same time), and the same thing happened. Sure, it was a cool system, and we had a lot of fun hanging out trying to beat each others' times on Sega Rally, but he too was stuck with an expensive game system that quickly rendered itself obsolete.  (The same thing happened later with the Sega Dreamcast. It too was a competent enough system, and I thought that the graphics were on par with the PS2, but when's the last time you went to Best Buy and saw new Dreamcast games for sale?) Meanwhile, I knew other people who had PS Ones and I thought the graphics were pretty much equal to the Jaguar and the Saturn, but the bottom line is that they offered games that were much better, and once Sony had established itself and I knew that the PlayStation was going to be around for a while, that's when I broke down and got one.
   There's something to be said about brand loyalty when it comes to video games, and as the newer versions of GranTurismo came out, I upgraded to the PS2.

Written By: Classie83 on 01/22/06 at 8:59 pm

Obviously the OG playstation was one of the best....Remember Dreamcast? No comparison.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/23/06 at 7:09 pm

Super Nintendo.  Playstation wasn't all that great.

Written By: JDeeOfV on 01/24/06 at 2:13 pm

i picked sega genesis and other, for Sega Dreamcast

i mean Soul Calibur man
Soul Calibur

Written By: conquistador on 01/25/06 at 2:03 am

My name is Kevin and I was born in almost the exact middle of 1985, when I was growing up I was an "early adopter" of various systems. I acquired my first gaming system in 1988 and that was a NES, I had the following games that I can remember (keep in mind i was only around 3 hence my memory of the time is'nt too great): Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt (With the original Red Gun), and that is about all I remember, although I can remember playing Super Mario Bros. II a few times, and later acquired Super Mario Bros. III (Which I still enjoy playing, although on a ROM version for SNES Super Mario All-Stars). The next system I acquired was the SNES, this was the first system that I got a numerous amount of games for and I still consider this to be my favorite system of all time and my favorite game for it is Zelda: A link to the Past, also I love the Super Mario World for it and also F-Zero which is still awesome. At the same time i was introduced to the Sega Genesis which I thought was a good console but not at the same level as the SNES although for faster paced games i.e. fighting games it was pretty good, but games that did'nt have a SNES equivalent like Sonic the hedgehog made owning the system definately worth it. For a while I had an NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis all at the same time until they were stolen. Then I eventually ended up leaving the 16-bit world behind, I had bought myself a Sega Saturn (around 1999 this happened) for a very cheap price and the games cheaply because at this point the Saturn was largely obsolete. Eventually, It became hard to find Saturn games and I ditched the system (Figuratively speaking). After this I bought a PSone around 2002, I bought a few games for it, never used it much.... but the point of this long story is that the older systems (mainly 16-bit) are just better in my opinion, they had fun simple games, the controls were easier, etc. not to mention people werent making crappy games that they were just trying to give good graphics and nothing else. Well I kinda went off on a long tangent and my hands are starting to hurt from the typing so im not going to write anymore.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...